Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

9 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Sturridge, Welbeck, Cleverley, Wilshere, Alli, Bale, Walcott, Defoe… Lingard is just the latest in a very long line of players, “you’d be mad not to want to sign,” because they were once good for one of the top teams.

JL might turn out to be a decent signing for them but for every Zabaletta there are half a dozen Michael Owens.

Most of those players had serious injury problems, which Lingard hasn't. Then you've got Cleverly, who was never close to the player Lingard is, Defoe, who was playing well at a much older age than Lingard, and Alli, who might be the most similar but has had a much worse career dip and never did as much for England as Lingard did

7 hours ago, samcrocker said:

That’s a link that pre dates Reading announcing him signing for them.

I’m sure Charlie Austin would have made sure QPR didn’t go all in for Long as he would’ve made CA look like a Weston beach donkey… 

Charlie plays for Brisbane Roar so would not have had much say.

10 hours ago, tajjuk said:

I would if it was an actual good player but not that overgrown kid who has basically traded his whole career on basically being an up and coming Man Utd talent, whilst never actually reaching any real level.

IMO if he'd come through at a championship club he'd likely be very much at one now and have got nowhere near the England team. Another one in a long line of massively over rated youth products from a big club IMO.  Danny Welbeck with a bigger ego. 

strange, was superb at West Ham. Comfortably a top half player 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, tajjuk said:

I would if it was an actual good player but not that overgrown kid who has basically traded his whole career on basically being an up and coming Man Utd talent, whilst never actually reaching any real level.

IMO if he'd come through at a championship club he'd likely be very much at one now and have got nowhere near the England team. Another one in a long line of massively over rated youth products from a big club IMO.  Danny Welbeck with a bigger ego. 

Lingard is miles better than any of our 10's. No brainer of a deal.

• Like 2

Two pages about another player that’s signing for another club, Not good!

Hoping we get our star striker in at the weekend and that it’s wrapped up quietly. Wouldn’t mind anyone of those that got relegated.

Now Ralph has looked at all the players  during the Austria tour, he might want to offload a few as I can’t see Smallbone, A Armstrong and Bednarek getting much game time.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Lingard is miles better than any of our 10's. No brainer of a deal.

I don't agree, but we'll see. Personally I think Forest have just signed a giant a-hole of a player on an absurdly high wage that is hardly known for his professionalism, who as someone above said seems to be more interested in off field bling and looking good on instagram, great assets for newly promoted team likely to be a in relegation fight. 

Everything about the deal screams over paid mercenary to me. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tajjuk said:

I don't agree, but we'll see. Personally I think Forest have just signed a giant a-hole of a player on an absurdly high wage that is hardly known for his professionalism, who as someone above said seems to be more interested in off field bling and looking good on instagram, great assets for newly promoted team likely to be a in relegation fight. 

Out of interest, who of our ‘10’s’ do you think is better? 

He might be a typical modern footballer, i.e a bit of a prick, but he’s a bloody good player. 

would instantly improve us and anyone outside the top 4 teams. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Man Utd didn't think so.

Man Utd are also a mess of a club, so take anything they think with a huge pinch of salt. 

FWIW, their head of scouting didn’t think VVD was good enough either. That’s a true fact as I knew someone working at saints at the time. 

12 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

1 year deal at Forest or a 2 year deal at West Ham where he had a great time and offers better standards what makes you think mercenary? 🙂

This Lingard debate is a bit weird. At the end of the day he was never going to be a player we even sniffed at, same as Tarkowski. Walcott was a bit of an anomoly and was more of a PR stunt as opposed to a footballing move, but in general terms our model will always be signing younger players with potental who we can develop and then get a profit on.

I've accepted that's our pace, so I won't be getting upset at missing out on the likes of Lingard. No one is saying he wouldn't improve us, but he's not the sort of player we'd be looking at to improve us anyway.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Bednarek was linked but was captain the other day so no sign of leaving.

That isn't really an indication, he was just the most suitable captain on the pitch for a friendly with the captain and vice captain not playing at the time.

Edited by Matthew Le God

9 minutes ago, Dman said:

Out of interest, who of our ‘10’s’ do you think is better? 

He might be a typical modern footballer, i.e a bit of a prick, but he’s a bloody good player. 

would instantly improve us and anyone outside the top 4 teams. 

How is he a 'bloody good player' based on what exactly? Again he's had one good spell of form lasting in reality about 10 games (he even trailed off towards the end of his west ham loan) in the last what 4 years or so, his last decent season for Utd was back in 17/18. 

Joe Willock had a similar bit of form for Newcastle on loan, they signed him permanently and turned out to be pretty to meh last year. Lingaard did exactly the same, returned to basically his level last year with Utd. 

If he's a 'bloody good player' how come he barely played for Utd last year, a bad Utd team, and when he did he did very little?

If he's a 'bloody good player' how come he's ended up at newly promoted Forest, being out of contract and available for free for pretty much a month? 

He could have been signed by clubs back in January on a pre-contract, seems odd that is so called 'bloody good player' has been ignored by most decent football clubs across the world despite being available on a free. 

If he would 'improve anyone outside the top 4 teams.' how come no other PL club has bothered with him?, as MLG said, Man Utd ditched him, didn't see Arsenal, Spurs, Leicester, Wolves etc. all queuing up for him. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Dman said:

Man Utd are also a mess of a club, so take anything they think with a huge pinch of salt. 

FWIW, their head of scouting didn’t think VVD was good enough either. That’s a true fact as I knew someone working at saints at the time. 

Why do you always spout about facts citing someone you knew to justify your arguments? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Why do you always spout about facts citing someone you knew to justify your arguments? 

To be fair he's right, heard the same and also i remember it was also reported in a few medai outlets a while back where United decided not to go for Van Dijkand went for Victor Linderof instead!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

How is he a 'bloody good player' based on what exactly? Again he's had one good spell of form lasting in reality about 10 games (he even trailed off towards the end of his west ham loan) in the last what 4 years or so, his last decent season for Utd was back in 17/18. 

Joe Willock had a similar bit of form for Newcastle on loan, they signed him permanently and turned out to be pretty to meh last year. Lingaard did exactly the same, returned to basically his level last year with Utd. 

If he's a 'bloody good player' how come he barely played for Utd last year, a bad Utd team, and when he did he did very little?

If he's a 'bloody good player' how come he's ended up at newly promoted Forest, being out of contract and available for free for pretty much a month? 

He could have been signed by clubs back in January on a pre-contract, seems odd that is so called 'bloody good player' has been ignored by most decent football clubs across the world despite being available on a free. 

If he would 'improve anyone outside the top 4 teams.' how come no other PL club has bothered with him?, as MLG said, Man Utd ditched him, didn't see Arsenal, Spurs, Leicester, Wolves etc. all queuing up for him. 

He was a regular for England for a decent period of time and although he didn't quite excel at that level he was solid enough

3 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

He was a regular for England for a decent period of time and although he didn't quite excel at that level he was solid enough

Played every game at the 2018 World Cup didn’t he? Pretty sure he was a consistent player in the nations league squad that following year as well. 

42 minutes ago, Dman said:

Yes, I've heard that. Apparently didn't consider him an upgrade on Smalling

1 hour ago, Give it to Ron said:

When do we think any exit will start 2-3 weeks? 
I thought Walcott would have gone by now, Bednarek was linked but was captain the other day so no sign of leaving.

6 in and no out does seem so unusual but guess Long and Broja could be classed as out really.

Snippet from me:

4 more in apparently. FB cover + Striker, and then CB and #10 depending on whether we can shift a few.  3-6 have been told they can go. Allegedly, Bednarek and Diallo have been told they're wanted by Saints. Valery also likely to stay as cover.

My guess would be Smallbone & Simeu (loan).  Walcott, Stephens, and one or two of Redmond/Djenepo/Elyounoussi. 

Broja not dead, but Chelsea dicking Saints around, and have been all summer. Broja + family still want him to come to Saints.  Time for us to move on I think.

Edited by Saint Garrett
Clearer
  • Like 26

Just now, Saint Garrett said:

Snippet from me:

4 more in apparently. FB cover + Striker, and then CB and #10 depending on whether we can shift a few.  3-6 have been told they can go. Allegedly, Bednarek and Diallo have been told they're wanted. Valery also likely to stay as cover.

My guess would be Smallbone & Simeu (loan).  Walcott, Stephens, and one or two of Redmond/Djenepo/Elyounoussi. 

Broja not dead, but Chelsea dicking Saints around, and have been all summer. Broja + family still want him to come to Saints.  Time for us to move on I think.

Cheers for the insights SG - appreciated 👍

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Snippet from me:

4 more in apparently. FB cover + Striker, and then CB and #10 depending on whether we can shift a few.  3-6 have been told they can go. Allegedly, Bednarek and Diallo have been told they're wanted. Valery also likely to stay as cover.

So that’s another striker as well as Mara then? 
Good news.

Have to say if Stephens is one thats been told he can go that offer of the new contract last season was absolute bloody lunacy !!

Edited by beatlesaint
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ldnsaint said:

'Southampton midfielder Will Smallbone in line for new deal ahead of a season-long loan move to Stoke'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11038861/Southampton-midfielder-Smallbone-line-new-deal-ahead-season-long-loan-Stoke.html?ito=amp_twitter_share-top

Good move for him

Definitely, they’re a much better footballing side now under O’Neill, hopefully can become a regular. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Snippet from me:

No no no, you must have this all wrong. Broja hates Ralph and he never wants to come back, because he didn’t thank him personally in his leaving message on instagram.

• Haha 6

7 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Have to say if Stephens is one thats been told he can go that offer of the new contract last season was absolute bloody lunacy !!

His new contract wasn't reported as happening last season. It was in September 2020, taking him to 2024.

https://theathletic.com/news/exclusive-jack-stephens-agrees-new-long-term-southampton-contract/bo8LfBeiblPj/

10 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Snippet from me:

Glad we are keeping Bednarek ahead of Stephens. Thought Lyanco might have been told he can go as well to be honest. Happy to see Ely and Moussa move on if we can get better. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

His new contract wasn't reported as happening last season. It was in September 2020, taking him to 2024.

https://theathletic.com/news/exclusive-jack-stephens-agrees-new-long-term-southampton-contract/bo8LfBeiblPj/

I thought him and McCarthy were given deals last season then it just wasnt announced...or was it only McCarthy last season ?

3 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

It's definitely what he needs, he needs to play a full season, I like him, I think he's a good player, but needs games.

He also needs to work out exactly what he is as a player, reminds me a bit of Ward-Prowse a few years ago, good player but can’t quite work out what he is. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

I thought him and McCarthy were given deals last season then it just wasnt announced...or was it only McCarthy last season ?

Jack Stephens new contract was reported in September 2020. Contract ending 2024.

Alex McCarthy new contracted was reported in August 2021. Contract ending 2024.

https://theathletic.com/2788898/2021/08/25/exclusive-alex-mccarthy-signs-new-three-year-deal-at-southampton-paving-the-way-for-forster-departure/

The club did not announce either of them at the time, and instead did so this summer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

That isn't really an indication, he was just the most suitable captain on the pitch for a friendly with the captain and vice captain not playing at the time.

Riveting input to a discussion as usual MLG, think the point was more how no one has left yet.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Appy said:

He also needs to work out exactly what he is as a player, reminds me a bit of Ward-Prowse a few years ago, good player but can’t quite work out what he is. 

Yeah - agreed. He's not good enough technically to be a #10 IMO, he needs to develop the grittier side of his game and play CM., very similar to Prowse.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

I'm not sure this post is coming across how you intended it.

Didn't really intend it any way lol!  I'm not sure if those offended are the very woke or daft racists!  :) 

The fact remains, it was newsworthy in 2002 when Arsenal fielded a starting line-up of 9 black players.  Given how the world has changed in the last 20 years and that 'Kick Racism Out' 'BLM' and taking a knee before every game are very much at the forefront of modern football, if we field a starting lineup which includes 9, 10 or possibly even all 11 players being black (which could very easily happen this season) then this is going to generate a huge amount of publicity for the club.  I'm sure it will portray the club in a very good light.

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

I thought unless a 'report' comes from the club, then it means nothing?

• Confused 1

Just now, Midlandsaint said:

Riveting input to a discussion as usual MLG, think the point was more how no one has left yet.

The context of my post was a response to him saying that him being captain for half a friendly match is an indicator he isn't leaving. It isn't really, he was just the most suitable person to be captain with Ward-Prowse and Romeu not on the pitch.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I thought unless a 'report' comes from the club, then it means nothing?

as their previously announced contracts were up June 30th 2022 they were forced to finally reveal that the newer contracts had been signed, at the dates @Matthew Le Godhas mentioned, 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Snippet from me:

4 more in. Christ. 

Should he be free to leave, the CB will be Colwill, I’m sure of it. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Snippet from me:

Cheers. You dont think Bednarek and Diallo will go even though they're wanted elsewhere? Or did i read that wrong and you mean wanted by Saints, not elsewhere.

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Cheers. You dont think Bednarek and Diallo will go even though they're wanted elsewhere? Or did i read that wrong and you mean wanted by Saints, not elsewhere.

Sorry yeah, they've been told they're wanted by Saints, hence Bednarek being made captain last week. I am guessing Bednarek will start as first choice CB along with Sali, but expecting us to start season 3atb, because of Perraud / Tinos injuries. Sounds like Perraud won't be fit for Spurs.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Saint Garrett said:

Sorry yeah, they've been told they're wanted by Saints, hence Bednarek being made captain last week. I am guessing Bednarek will start as first choice CB along with Sali, but expecting us to start season 3atb, because of Perraud / Tinos injuries. Sounds like Perraud won't be fit for Spurs.

okay cheers, make sense.

• Like 1

Hopefully Perraud gets up to speed really quickly in time for the start of the new season. I think he rejoined the squad for training on weds at Staplewood. 

Saint Garrett who do you think we will target as cover at fullback, another number ten and striker? 

• Like 1

If that's the case, that presumably makes it more difficult to tempt Colwill here, even if we offload Stephens, as that would suggest Colwill would only be first choice in a 3atb formation. Would that be enough for him?