Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

Seems very overpriced but take it as a good sign if City rate him that highly. Anymore than £25m for him and it wouldn’t sit right, even that amount is disgustingly high.

There will be no excuses for Ralph though. He has been backed heavily this window, and albeit the past couple of seasons with one hand behind his back, there has been investment in the squad!

• Like 3

I didn't watch the game today but "nil" for Saints again speaks volumes. We do not currently have the wing backs to play this system, which means we do not have the creativity from wide positions, and we do not have the strikers to put the ball in the net.

I retract my previous sentiment about Ings, loathe as I am to re-sign players, but at the moment, if the price is right, he may be exactly what we need alongside youngsters. If we bring in Delap and Mara it appears to be a risky gamble.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, St. Ciervo said:

At that rate, why not put up a bit more for Broja? 

Maybe we are? Well, that would be fantasy land but never know.

That 23M bid probably contains a shedload of add-ons so might not be an entirely accurate figure. Definitely a risk but at the same time it’s good seeing the club backing itself and philosophy.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Seems very overpriced but take it as a good sign if City rate him that highly. Anymore than £25m for him and it wouldn’t sit right, even that amount is disgustingly high.

There will be no excuses for Ralph though. He has been backed heavily this window, and albeit the past couple of seasons with one hand behind his back, there has been investment in the squad!

One of the highest rated young English forwards, if not the highest, from the powerhouse of English football...? I thought the reported (and likely inaccurate) prices we went in at were totally unrealistic for a player well under contract.

58 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

I didn't watch the game today but "nil" for Saints again speaks volumes. We do not currently have the wing backs to play this system, which means we do not have the creativity from wide positions, and we do not have the strikers to put the ball in the net.

I retract my previous sentiment about Ings, loathe as I am to re-sign players, but at the moment, if the price is right, he may be exactly what we need alongside youngsters. If we bring in Delap and Mara it appears to be a risky gamble.

If we bring in Delap and Mara that's great--you can forget about Ings, he's past it, lost it and won't last the season, he gave us the thumbs down when he got too cocky

• Like 2

Maybe our new Owners are being coy with regards to targets and funds. 

If they came out and said yeah we are going to invest massively then that would of driven the price up dramatically. 

#Noholdsbarred 

Delap and Broja and a decent attacking creative player please 🙏 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

My first thought seeing that Delap link is where Sheff Utd paid 24M for a Brewster who has scored 3 goals in 2 seasons).

We do have though Man City's head of youth recruitment as our now head of recruitment, so he must know everything about Delap and has been watching him develop for years. I can only presume he is pushing for this and obviously thinks it will be more than worth it. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

That is a recipe for disaster. If he is a success it opens it up for another club to take advantage. 

Clearly don’t know how options to buy work, do you smarty pants 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Dman said:

Clearly don’t know how options to buy work, do you smarty pants 

An option to buy doesn't mean the player accepts. As noted above with Toby.

if he has a good season, say scores 15 goals, then he could turn us down for a bigger club. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

Hate to stick up for MLG... But surely we have learned from Toby Alderweireld??

We thought we had an option and didn’t, in that case. Or more so that it wasn’t as watertight as we thought. Slightly different now providing we actually do our homework on the deal. 

If at the end of the season they don’t want to play for us anyway… what’s the point in having them? 

Edited by Dman
  • Confused 1

Just now, AlexLaw76 said:

but Danny Ings?

That one was a loan with an obligation to a perminant transfer, you couldn't get out of that. I believe it was done that way to offset the transfer fee so it was covered in the next window rather than the current one.

We could do the same with Delap, but if he flops then we still have to pay it. 

A more 'open' loan offers the opportunity for both the player other clubs to have a sniff, it keeps the door open with regards to commitment. I think we've had our arses bitten with Toby and Broja, so if we see Delap as a similar prospect to Broja then we're trying to tie him to us rather than 'borrow' him and face the risk of a season of speculation if he does well.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Dman said:

We thought we had an option and didn’t, in that case. Slightly different now providing we actually do our homework on the deal. 

If at the end of the season they don’t want to play for us anyway… what’s the point in having them? 

You are confusing 'option to buy' and 'obligation to buy'. Both exist in loan deals, both work differently. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

An option to buy would also be something we would be unlikely get off City.

This is true, if City loan him they'll have one eye on what they could get out of it too. If they agree to a £20m fee on the loan, and he bangs in 20 goals for us then they've totally short changed themselves. So I can't see them agreeing to a set fee. If we get him on loan and he does fairly well, we'll have exactly the same situation as Broja. 

'Newcastle want Delap'  ''Man City want to asses Delap over pre-season'' etc etc.

Edited by S-Clarke

It's all a calculated risk. If we rate him that highly (to bid 23m) then we emust feel the liklihood of him developing into a top player is reasonably high. Therefore a loan with option to buy is probably the worse option in this case on balance. 

6 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

Eh? Player no one has heard of? 
plays for Lyon, was linked to Arsenal, french international. Either this is a wind up or you have no knowledge of football outside england whatsoever 

Hadn't heard of him to be honest, but my comment wasn't directed solely at you or this bloke, quite a few names have appeared over this and the 5 you'd sign thread that have left me, and probably many others scratching their heads, or doing some google research. Wonder if some names are lifted straight off of FM type computer games.

Not intended as a 'wind up' but not due to no knowledge outside English football, although main interest abroad tends to be Italian, German and occasionally Spanish leagues, and sometimes players/clubs we're linked with in or from Netherlands or Denmark etc. 

I tend to pass by the French League other than occasional glance to see how Fonte or Schneiderlin are doing, or any player who we might have been linked with (Predrag Rajković then Reims GK, or Perraud before he joined us). I don't follow or remember every reported Arsenal target either. 

As for , Aouar have now read a bit about him, according to Wikipedioa he has one cap, from a friendly in 2020 v Ukraine. Clearly missed that one, or it just escaped my memory.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

We do have though Man City's head of youth recruitment as our now head of recruitment, so he must know everything about Delap and has been watching him develop for years. I can only presume he is pushing for this and obviously thinks it will be more than worth it. 

This. If anyone knows him he will. 👍

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

That is a recipe for disaster. If he is a success it opens it up for another club to take advantage. 

Not if you have an agreement in place where he can't be sold elsewhere unless SFC decide they don't want to buy.

1 hour ago, Pilchards said:

If Delap had a good season with us then he would be worth double the money we paid for him in a year. No brainer but I personally would rather invest in a more experienced striker if I was spending 20m+

Any signing is a risk, sign Kane or Lewandowski and possibly might not adapt to the club, 'wife can't settle' and it won't work out, but I'm inclined to agree especially if the other striker is 19 year old Mara. If we've got £20m or thereabouts for a striker then rather we look to bring a more experienced player.

52 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Delap and Broja and a decent attacking creative player please 🙏 

Not going to happen with signing Mara as well. 

1 hour ago, Dman said:

Madness. We must rate him highly, but that seems crazy. Take him on loan with an option to buy if anything… surely. 

Never understood this oooohhh thats too much! Not our money. I couldn’t give a fook if we pay £50 million for Delap.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Warriorsaint said:

Never understood this oooohhh thats too much! Not our money. I couldn’t give a fook if we pay £50 million for Delap.

21 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Leeds fans were saying that in 2001.

I doubt it, as Delap was available for £4m in 2001 😉

2 hours ago, Warriorsaint said:

If we were owned by the Saudis I agree. But the money wasted on the likes of Hoedt, Lamina, The Donkey, Boufal, etc. kneecapped us for years.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, northam soul said:

So is Mara stuck trying to get his Renault 5 across the channel ?

Strange how none of the local journalists asked the question after today’s game.

Or if they did they haven’t published anything.

Medical yesterday signs tomorrow according to French tweet