Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

5 minutes ago, Chez said:

if you are Delap and every day you are training (with Pep running things) and playing against Dias and Laporte, does that test you and help you improve more than if you were at Saints, with Ralph and Bednarek? 

You are right that the general consensus is that first team loans is the better way to improve players, but not doing so doesn't seem to have harmed Foden, hence I wonder if its accurate.

quite a decent piece on it here Liam Delap in strange situation after Man City reject transfer offer (msn.com)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RobM said:

The answer is both, surely? Training every day with the best will make you better, not just in footballing terms but health, commitment, preparation, diet, concentration, etc, etc. And since everyone at City has to fight for their place, it's safe to assume the likes of Dias and Laporte are hardly going to take it easy in training, so it'll be a real test for Delap.

But IMO nothing beats meaningful competition, playing in front of a crowd full of fans, and having pressure to perform well or else you lose your place. That's why loans are favoured over training ground friendlies when a player needs to develop, and loans tend to be favoured when you see a place in your first team for the player. If Pep thinks Delap is likely to get more first team playing time in the coming years, it's easy to see why he might favour a loan to a competitive division to start with.

makes sense, but why wasn't Foden loaned out? Did Pep ever explain that?

I've attended first team training sessions and when its games and attack verses defence scenarios, its all in. Dias and Laporte will not be going easy thats for sure, thus ensuring a good hour or so of intensive match situation football against the very best players. Go out on loan and there is a obviously going to be a drop off in quality, ability, speed, intensity etc. Multiply that by 3 or four days a week, for 30 weeks...

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

if you are Delap and every day you are training (with Pep running things) and playing against Dias and Laporte, does that test you and help you improve more than if you were at Saints, with Ralph and Bednarek? 

You are right that the general consensus is that first team loans is the better way to improve players, but not doing so doesn't seem to have harmed Foden, hence I wonder if its accurate.

Advantages and disadvantages to both approaches and a lot will probably depend on the player themselves.  Delap has had a complete year with the first team now - how many years does he need and at what point does it become just going through the motions?  Training is to prepare yourself for the real thing and if that prospect looks as remote as it ever did then that's also got be demotivating.

I reckon that a decent competitive game is as good if not better than training.  The level of quality in training must be phenomenal but I doubt it has that competitive edge that all players want.  If you're a striker you want to score with a crowd watching you, against players giving it everything and to know it's a goal that matters.  Football is still a relatively short career and, personally, I'd want to make the most of it.

I can’t see Saints getting anywhere near the money City might accept to let Delap go and the longer the charade goes on, the more we risk losing out on other priority choices. We should be pulling the stops out for Broja now IMO - he’s got knowledge of of Ralph’s system and has proven he can score at EPL level.  I hope we don’t revert to type and end up blowing too much on a last minute panic purchase on Ings or similar.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Very interesting.

City don't need the money. They obviously want THE best players in the world. They don't want to let one slip through their fingers (although a buy back option would prevent that), so losing a few bob (not sure they will) by keeping him another year ain't a factor.

10 minutes ago, Chez said:

makes sense, but why wasn't Foden loaned out? Did Pep ever explain that?

I've attended first team training sessions and when its games and attack verses defence scenarios, its all in. Dias and Laporte will not be going easy thats for sure, thus ensuring a good hour or so of intensive match situation football against the very best players. Go out on loan and there is a obviously going to be a drop off in quality, ability, speed, intensity etc. Multiply that by 3 or four days a week, for 30 weeks...

Perhaps this explains our problems up front. Imagine the dent your morale takes when you're facing the might of Jack Stephens and Yan Valery in training every day. Being totally shut down and unable to penetrate their unrelenting presence day in day out is gonna mentally wear you down.

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

I reckon that a decent competitive game is as good if not better than training.  The level of quality in training must be phenomenal but I doubt it has that competitive edge that all players want.  If you're a striker you want to score with a crowd watching you, against players giving it everything and to know it's a goal that matters.  Football is still a relatively short career and, personally, I'd want to make the most of it.

Training is training. Its not the real thing. But its very competitive indeed. If you cant beat Dias or Laporte every now and then, then you ain't gonna get picked for City. That will ensure your levels are sky high. In terms of choice between the two, its a no brainer. All the players want to play games not train. 

The choice for Delap is tough. Who would want to leave the `best' side in Europe. You are that pinnacle. You don't leave the club until they don't want you (ie they don't play you). I'd of thought he'd want to stay another year. 

3 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I can’t see Saints getting anywhere near the money City might accept to let Delap go and the longer the charade goes on, the more we risk losing out on other priority choices. We should be pulling the stops out for Broja now IMO - he’s got knowledge of of Ralph’s system and has proven he can score at EPL level.  I hope we don’t revert to type and end up blowing too much on a last minute panic purchase on Ings or similar.

It would be very interesting to know who our third and fourth choices are (behind Broja and Delap), but I should imagine its another 19-24 year old striker on the continent rather than a 30 year old Prem player. We shall see.

5 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I didnt like the way Ings left but if he came back I think that would be a major boost. It would depend on how his ex teammates felt about him as well

• Haha 1

Belated hullo to all forum posters here I know and love.

My take on this transfer window is that we need an Alpha male striker. We have almost always done better when there is such a player in the squad/team.  

It seems we have a budget of up to £30M for this striker (or more-who knows?), in other words its potentially/probably going to be a saints record transfer.

That would be a massive statement from SR. Will it be spent on more UK based but over-priced potential - or on a non UK better value more seasoned player?

If you look at how much "potential" we have already brought on board this window the answer is : A LOT. If its likely to be a record transfer my thinking is that id be expecting a higher level CV from the new striker. Or maybe the more un-provens we buy the better chance at least one of them becomes Sadio Mane or Gareth Bale..        S

Whilst the "all-in" nature of a Liam Delap or Broja joining at mega fees is fun the speculation may also be a smokescreen.

From what I've read neither Broja ( I suspect Newcastle or Everton will over pay/wage him) or Delap are likely as if we can get them then Newcastle and Everton can as well. And probably pay much more.  

Which leaves us with other young strikers abroad or not quite so young perhaps, but more realistic. And if we are not breaking the transfer record does it mean we are allowed perhaps that just one older experienced goal-scorer with less resale but a cheaper transfer cost? Somebody with medals? Or even a previous player ;-)? 

11 minutes ago, OldNick said:

I didnt like the way Ings left but if he came back I think that would be a major boost. It would depend on how his ex teammates felt about him as well

business is business. Senior players know the score and will all have done the same - move for a shed load more money.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, manji said:

Everton have had a shocking tour of the USA. Fans are already calling for Fat Franks head. They want Sean Dyche. One of the games they played Charlotte, they had full strength squad lost 3-0 and were awful.

Fucking hate that club.

They lost 4-0 in Minnesota and 2-0 in Baltimore to Arsenal. I don't remember them playing Charlotte, you must be thinking of the Minnesota Utd game, who are coached by Everton former player and our nemesis Adrian Heath.

8 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Which leaves us with other young strikers abroad or not quite so young perhaps, but more realistic. And if we are not breaking the transfer record does it mean we are allowed perhaps that just one older experienced goal-scorer with less resale but a cheaper transfer cost? Somebody with medals? Or even a previous player ;-)? 

Are you referring to Ings and his CL R/U medal? Or Carillo and his 5Metre swimming badge?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Atlanta Saint said:

They lost 4-0 in Minnesota and 2-0 in Baltimore to Arsenal. I don't remember them playing Charlotte, you must be thinking of the Minnesota Utd game, who are coached by Everton former player and our nemesis Adrian Heath.

You are indeed correct

26 minutes ago, Chez said:

Very interesting.

City don't need the money. They obviously want THE best players in the world. They don't want to let one slip through their fingers (although a buy back option would prevent that), so losing a few bob (not sure they will) by keeping him another year ain't a factor.

Yep, City have actually made a ton of money this summer from selling players.

32 minutes ago, Chez said:

Training is training. Its not the real thing. But its very competitive indeed. If you cant beat Dias or Laporte every now and then, then you ain't gonna get picked for City. That will ensure your levels are sky high. In terms of choice between the two, its a no brainer. All the players want to play games not train. 

The choice for Delap is tough. Who would want to leave the `best' side in Europe. You are that pinnacle. You don't leave the club until they don't want you (ie they don't play you). I'd of thought he'd want to stay another year. 

Surely there is going to be a point where a young player realises that he has to move on for the good of his career? Look at the likes of Loftus Cheek at Chelsea, 26 years old and not even played 100 games for them yet, despite being there since he was a kid. Is he going to look back on his career when he retired and think he should have made a move sooner?

23 minutes ago, Atlanta Saint said:

Charlotte played Chelsea and drew 1-1

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DT said:

I actually think City are viewing him as Pep's long-term replacement, quite possibly, depending on how he gets on. Therefore having Delap would help that. Also, maybe City are now a bit miffed about us having their chief talent spotter and want to stop a full exodus.

I was wondering the same thing about  City and Chelsea,  we have taken some promising talent off of them, and Joe!

To sell more of best young assets to SFC might be too much, as we will have a bigger draw for the rest that see their mates playing for Saints.  Chelsea was a steal of a deal for Tino, they seem to want to get some of that back with Broja,  and seem to be not open to offers for more of their youth talent.

The two clubs must be wondering what they would create if SFC was successful in recruiting these highly rated youngsters. We are the thorns in those 2 clubs as we always seem to get some good results. They don't want to create another Leicester.

26 minutes ago, Puddings and Monkeys said:

Just out of interest, what part of Atlanta are you in.  I work for a US company and used to travel frequently to Buckhead/Piedmont Road.  Then on to B’ham AL…..

I'm in Alpharetta, about 20 miles north of Buckhead. 

Come on Joe, you tried the obvious players you have worked with in City, but we need your vision on the next hidden gems, the ones you would recruit for City! If we are offering 20 mill for Delap,what could we get on the continent for the best youth, probably 2 or 3 for that price?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

Come on Joe, you tried the obvious players you have worked with in City, but we need your vision on the next hidden gems, the ones you would recruit for City! If we are offering 20 mill for Delap,what could we get on the continent for the best youth, probably 2 or 3 for that price?

Excellent point, who does he have written in his little black book of future gems.

16 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Is he even credible? He strikes me as a WUM

He has no clue, just trying really hard and somehow people are lapping it up.

Interesting on Edozie, seems a talent but I'd hope this is replacing somebody going out the door rather than being our only other attacking move. The fee Leverkusen agreed was around £5m I believe.

Young 20 year old Dion Drena Beljo looks a prospect. He's Croatian, 6'5" tall but has a very deft touch. Looks good in his skills videos and would probably cost under £5 million. Seems the sort of talent we should be looking at. Yes, Delap maybe a better player but I think he's a big gamble at the money City are talking - might be better to look at other young strikers with potential.

Edited by saintant

1 minute ago, saintant said:

Young 20 year old Dion Drena Beljo looks a prospect

Guessing we have to think about Work Permits as well. Not sure he would get one if you meant him for the first team and that means he needs a year or two away.

15 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Seems a bit of a desperation stations after-thought if we're only moving on him now. Leverkusen have been all over him since June. Surely, if we were really keen, we wouldn't have left it so late.

If true, of course.

5 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Seems a bit of a desperation stations after-thought if we're only moving on him now. Leverkusen have been all over him since June. Surely, if we were really keen, we wouldn't have left it so late.

If true, of course.

True but he hasn't joined them so perhaps he has doubts. He played and scored twice for City's U23s recently.

If he have learned anything about Shields, he certainly has an influence on these lads and I believe brought him to City from Millwall a couple of years ago.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Guessing we have to think about Work Permits as well. Not sure he would get one if you meant him for the first team and that means he needs a year or two away.

Yeah, forgot about work permits. Not sure of the rules or how long they take to sort out but wouldn't have thought it's anything like two years?

3 hours ago, gio1saints said:

Belated hullo to all forum posters here I know and love.

My take on this transfer window is that we need an Alpha male striker. We have almost always done better when there is such a player in the squad/team.  

It seems we have a budget of up to £30M for this striker (or more-who knows?), in other words its potentially/probably going to be a saints record transfer.

That would be a massive statement from SR. Will it be spent on more UK based but over-priced potential - or on a non UK better value more seasoned player?

If you look at how much "potential" we have already brought on board this window the answer is : A LOT. If its likely to be a record transfer my thinking is that id be expecting a higher level CV from the new striker. Or maybe the more un-provens we buy the better chance at least one of them becomes Sadio Mane or Gareth Bale..        S

Whilst the "all-in" nature of a Liam Delap or Broja joining at mega fees is fun the speculation may also be a smokescreen.

From what I've read neither Broja ( I suspect Newcastle or Everton will over pay/wage him) or Delap are likely as if we can get them then Newcastle and Everton can as well. And probably pay much more.  

An interesting take for a first post and you may well be correct.  If we were serious about Delay and Broja then we'd be nearer a signing by now I suspect, although there has been clear interest of some sort.  Which more mature ex-Saint from abroad would be a 'massive' signing of GBP30m + that might fit the bill?  Tadic - but he's not a striker as such? Can't think of any others!

26 minutes ago, saintant said:

Young 20 year old Dion Drena Beljo looks a prospect. He's Croatian, 6'5" tall but has a very deft touch. Looks good in his skills videos and would probably cost under £5 million. Seems the sort of talent we should be looking at. Yes, Delap maybe a better player but I think he's a big gamble at the money City are talking - might be better to look at other young strikers with potential.

24 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

12 minutes ago, saintant said:

Yeah, forgot about work permits. Not sure of the rules or how long they take to sort out but wouldn't have thought it's anything like two years?

11 points for DDB, according to an online WP calculator. Need 15 points to qualify. 11-14 range makes you eligible for an appeal to the "Exceptions Panel". 10 and below is a fail.

Think Mara got 12 points, and we seem to be pushing ahead with that deal, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility. Hypothetically speaking - no idea who this bloke is.

Edozie looks like a talent on the YouTube videos. But, again, also looks a bit slight. Hopefully he's the next Sancho, which I mentioned yesterday and we're getting in between the move to Germany. 😂 Also, remember last summer when it looked like Livramento was set for Brighton and then we were linked and all of a sudden he was a Southampton player. 

24 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Edozie looks like a talent on the YouTube videos. But, again, also looks a bit slight. Hopefully he's the next Sancho, which I mentioned yesterday and we're getting in between the move to Germany. 😂 Also, remember last summer when it looked like Livramento was set for Brighton and then we were linked and all of a sudden he was a Southampton player. 

Looks like a mix of sane and boufal,I like both I’m in!

Edited by pimpin4rizeal