Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

1 hour ago, cloggy saint said:

40 odd games for Barcelona, 60 caps for Denmark, but he's 'fucking shit' and 'shocking'.  :mcinnes:

What you mean is you don't rate him, which is very different.

In fairness, they didn't state it as fact. Do we really have to put "IMO" after everything subjective? I think Kalvin Phillips is utter crap but I'd have phrased it the way these users did, I'd just take it as a given that people know that I'm well aware it's my opinion and one that's a minority.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Yeah, went onto their forum and a lot of them were saying “about time”. 

Strange how out the loop you can be with another fanbases opinions on their players.

Wow, never thought they’d have that opinion of him. He’s been an incredible player for them, and would be very hard to replace IMO.

45 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Strange how out the loop you can be with another fanbases opinions on their players.

Yeah, a lot of them haven't rated him for about two years or so.

I was speaking to someone a month or so ago (non-Saints fan) and he claimed that Forster was the best keeper in the league and is sure to start for Spurs ahead of Lloris. Takes all sorts I suppose.

Ralph talks in the present tense about the forward - using the definitive “he” - which suggests it’s a known player and he’s in the bag essentially - rather the more uncommitted   ””they” which would have suggested we were not quite so certain who it might be. 
it may well be Ralph’s command of English means we should not pay credence to this interpretation - but by adding in my analysis of his body language to me he seemed to “ know” who the “ he” is that he was inferring we were still to get. Interesting. 

2 minutes ago, angelman said:

So if another forward comes in, who goes out out of Armstrong or Adams?

We had 4 strikers last year, if another came in that would make 4 so we wouldn’t need to loan anybody out. Unless I’m missing something?

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Ralph talks in the present tense about the forward - using the definitive “he” - which suggests it’s a known player and he’s in the bag essentially - rather the more uncommitted   ””they” which would have suggested we were not quite so certain who it might be. 
it may well be Ralph’s command of English means we should not pay credence to this interpretation - but by adding in my analysis of his body language to me he seemed to “ know” who the “ he” is that he was inferring we were still to get. Interesting. 

I think it's a long standing target, a proper centre forward. I'm not convinced Broja and Delap have both sailed. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Perhaps he is just using the person's preferred pronoun?

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Its only because we don't see him every week and don't care if he lets goals in that it goes under the radar. I've been saying this for several seasons. Schmeichel ain't top class, makes too many mistakes (lots of near post goals for the McCarthy lovers out there) and may have been one of the most overrated keepers in Premiership history IMO (behind the Spurs keeper). In recent years many Leicester fans have quite rightly not been impressed. If he had been at SMS performing as he has recently, he'd have been absolutely slated on here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bpsaint said:

Wow, never thought they’d have that opinion of him. He’s been an incredible player for them, and would be very hard to replace IMO.

Incredible? Not IMO. Some good, some bad. He has always been a below average Prem keeper in my eyes. No saying he is terrible or even bad, just not great. Each to their own of course.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, cloggy saint said:

40 odd games for Barcelona, 60 caps for Denmark, but he's 'fucking shit' and 'shocking'.

He scored 8 goals for Middlesbrough in the Championship across 36 games.

(Sam Gallagher scored 9 last season, in 37 games.)

Might not be "fucking shit", but he's of no use to us.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chez said:

Incredible? Not IMO. Some good, some bad. He has always been a below average Prem keeper in my eyes. No saying he is terrible or even bad, just not great. Each to their own of course.

Think Schmeichel is variable. When we lost at Leicester in 2011/12 it was our forwards versus him and he won the game. Other games I have seen he has been poor and his distribution is dreadful. However he can just point to his Premier League and FA Cup medals to prove me wrong.

For those of us who have been Saints supporters for many years, this has been a strange and rather unique summer transfer season.

We have spent some dosh !!!!! And I admire the way the club has decided to put their faith in 5 young guys who have little or no experience . It could be a brilliant strategy and it could be a recipe for disaster. Lets hope for numero 1 and I am looking for ward to next weekend.

However there is a caveat to this. Firstly, we haven't been able to move anyone on. Clearly the club would like to get rid of Bednarek and Djenopo but no takers as yet. Also it seems that Walcott and Redmond might be considered too.

But much more worrying with 10 days to go is the failure, as yet, to get a striker in. And as someone who goes to all home matches, the team needed above all else in my opinion, someone who could score maybe 10-12 goals per season .

It seems as though we put everything in the locker to secure Delap and it isnt there yet and the chances in signing him seem to be slipping away. Also Broja might be of some interest again seeing the situation at Chelsea and West Ham signing an alternative player.

So, it is a worry that it hasn't gone to plan.....as yet. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Yeah, a lot of them haven't rated him for about two years or so.

I was speaking to someone a month or so ago (non-Saints fan) and he claimed that Forster was the best keeper in the league and is sure to start for Spurs ahead of Lloris. Takes all sorts I suppose.

Judgement very easily coloured by not watching regularly and only really registering the odd outstanding performance (Arsenal). Fucks sake I had someone (very definitely non-Saints fan) telling me they thought Redmond should be at a top 6 club once. (It was about 4 yrs ago tbf).

4 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Djenepo should be nowhere near the starting eleven in my opinion. 

Correct. And I simply don’t believe Ralph had some grand plan to have him as his starting wing back, I agree that Saints have likely been looking to get rid of him.

Just now, The Kraken said:

Correct. And I simply don’t believe Ralph had some grand plan to have him as his starting wing back, I agree that Saints have likely been looking to get rid of him.

If I remember rightly, we had this same debate last pre-season. Moussa rocked up in pre-season at left back, Ralph saying he see's him as an option etc, but he never really played there when the games were actually on.

Given how shit we are in attack, it's quite telling that we're putting one of those attackers at wing back. He does need to go and like you I think the club have openly put his name out there. I hope we don't expect £15m back, £5m tops I reckon.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Francis1947 said:

For those of us who have been Saints supporters for many years, this has been a strange and rather unique summer transfer season.

We have spent some dosh !!!!! And I admire the way the club has decided to put their faith in 5 young guys who have little or no experience . It could be a brilliant strategy and it could be a recipe for disaster. Lets hope for numero 1 and I am looking for ward to next weekend.

However there is a caveat to this. Firstly, we haven't been able to move anyone on. Clearly the club would like to get rid of Bednarek and Djenopo but no takers as yet. Also it seems that Walcott and Redmond might be considered too.

But much more worrying with 10 days to go is the failure, as yet, to get a striker in. And as someone who goes to all home matches, the team needed above all else in my opinion, someone who could score maybe 10-12 goals per season .

It seems as though we put everything in the locker to secure Delap and it isnt there yet and the chances in signing him seem to be slipping away. Also Broja might be of some interest again seeing the situation at Chelsea and West Ham signing an alternative player.

We signed one yesterday. Not experienced and unknown, granted, but still a striker nonetheless. 

The fact we've apparently bid big money on Delap shows we probably aren't bringing an experienced striker in and hoping what we have or one of the new youngsters scores the goals we need. Having said that I'd almost rather rely on youth than bring in Braithwaite! 

17 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Would rather see JWP play right back and KWP left back than have Djenpo anywhere near the team

This and with Lavia joining Diallo and Romeu we have more options in midfield to cover the JWP move to RB. I still think we'll bring in a full back but time is running out. We also still have Valery, Vokins, Ramsay, Small and Ferry so we aren't without full back/wing back options though we'd probably rather not rely on them!

1 minute ago, SNSUN said:

This and with Lavia joining Diallo and Romeu we have more options in midfield to cover the JWP move to RB. I still think we'll bring in a full back but time is running out. We also still have Valery, Vokins, Ramsay, Small and Ferry so we aren't without full back/wing back options though we'd probably rather not rely on them!

Small has already gone on loan to Port Vale and I think the other 4 will probably follow him and go out on loan as well.  I am not sure Ralph and the other coaches think any of them are ready to play at fullback in the premier league unfortunately 

1 hour ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Gibbs-White going Forest, they're certainly having a go at it.

Think I read that they lost 12+ players from their squad last season through loans ending, end of contracts etc. So they needed mass recruitment. Some good signings in there but MGW for £25m plus doesnt seem like good business to me

The club *is* actively looking to shift Bednarek, Moussa and Theo. They thought they would have sold JB by now but no takers. I’m led to believe this is the reason the Delap / forward deal is being delayed as we’re now in our normal position of needing to sell to buy. Whether or not that means we *can’t* buy anyone else without selling I don’t know but time will tell! 

Edited by SaintLondon
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Small has already gone on loan to Port Vale and I think the other 4 will probably follow him and go out on loan as well.  I am not sure Ralph and the other coaches think any of them are ready to play at fullback in the premier league unfortunately 

Ah I missed the Small loan. Good for him to get some game time.

8 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Forest need to hit the ground running. Continuity is going to be so important with some of the players they have brought in. 

They are starting to remind me of Fulham a few season ago after promotion when they spent spent spent and couldn't get going and went straight back down.

• Like 1

Bournemouth I don’t think are good enough to stay up.

Fulham haven’t bought anyone really. Nor do I think they have good enough players, maybe they’ve reigned it in after their mass spending spree a few years ago.

Forest are doing what Fulham did a few years ago. And that could massively backfire against them.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, SaintLondon said:

The club *is* actively looking to shift Bednarek, Moussa and Theo. They thought they would have sold JB by now but no takers. I’m led to believe this is the reason the Delap / forward deal is being delayed as we’re now in our normal position of needing to sell to buy. Whether or not that means we *can’t* buy anyone else without selling I don’t know but time will tell! 

Probably more to do with salary cap rather than transfer kitty. Between Theo, moussa and bednarek they probably free up at least £150k per week. 

3 hours ago, Chez said:

A below average Prem keeper? Surely you don’t actually believe that do you Chez?

Surely someone like Alex McCarthy is a below average Prem keeper. Not a league and fa cup winning one like Schmeichel.

I respect your opinion of course, it’s interesting hearing a different viewpoint as I believed him to be very highly rated.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SaintLondon said:

If true, almost zero chance of #ColwillWatch having a positive ending :( 

1 hour ago, SaintLondon said:

If true (not saying it is) then that's idiotic. Getting an experienced striker in should have been priority number one for the summer. 

37 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

A below average Prem keeper? Surely you don’t actually believe that do you Chez?

Surely someone like Alex McCarthy is a below average Prem keeper. Not a league and fa cup winning one like Schmeichel.

I respect your opinion of course, it’s interesting hearing a different viewpoint as I believed him to be very highly rated.

Agreed. Top keeper for years

Personally, if we don't sell Bednarek, I don't think it would necessarily be a total disaster; indeed, I could see him going on to prove wrong the many fans who criticise him and showing his true ability.

However, it could well be a total disaster if SaintLondon is proven right and we can't sign any more players unless we get rid of a few. As others have said, it would definitely seem that we need at least another striker and winger and some extra quality full back cover for Livramento and Perraud.

I hope that either we can shift Theo (and possibly some others) or that, nevertheless, we will still be able to make those three key signings (or even the five signings that has been mentioned!).

2 hours ago, Francis1947 said:

Think Djenepo will start against Spurs at left wing back.