Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

11 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Agree with all of this

Even in the first half, there were no obvious poor players, outside of potentially Ely who was rather anonymous.. but it felt more like disjointed tactics rather that any overall poor performances, it all clicked into place after HT

Ive also been critical of Djenepo, but he’s looked very good in that LWB position

Overall it made me feel like Diallo, Stephens, Lyanco, Valery, Djenepo and Redmond.. although maybe not what we need to move forward as first team 11 players are still good enough options as squad players

Yeah I agree - I thought Lyanco and Valery did well yesterday, and Djenepo seems like a different player. Long way to go (and pre-season is very different to a cold night in Stoke) but lots of encouraging signs

• Like 1

3 hours ago, whiteleySaint30 said:

Lyanco was terrible. Not good enough and never will be. No amount of passionate social media posts will change my mind on that - people seem to get b and lindsided by that............

Oh dear, the boo boys are out already, knives sharpened for our own players. What game were you watching? LYanco did well alongside Stephens, a welcome surprise and Valery who I haven't rated looked good as well. Cheer up mate, or go down the road

• Like 8

3 hours ago, whiteleySaint30 said:

Lyanco was terrible. Not good enough and never will be. No amount of passionate social media posts will change my mind on that - people seem to get blindsided by that............

He wasn't terrible but people seem to get blindsided by confirmation bias..........

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Agree with all of this

Even in the first half, there were no obvious poor players, outside of potentially Ely who was rather anonymous.. but it felt more like disjointed tactics rather that any overall poor performances, it all clicked into place after HT

Ive also been critical of Djenepo, but he’s looked very good in that LWB position

Overall it made me feel like Diallo, Stephens, Lyanco, Valery, Djenepo and Redmond.. although maybe not what we need to move forward as first team 11 players are still good enough options as squad players

The only player I thought looked poor in the first half was Redmond. He just kept giving the ball away. Good determination from him for our first goal though. Overall a very encouraging performance, much more like it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Christophenburg said:

Yeah I agree - I thought Lyanco and Valery did well yesterday, and Djenepo seems like a different player. Long way to go (and pre-season is very different to a cold night in Stoke) but lots of encouraging signs

I think the new signings have just raised the competition stakes significantly. Morale seems good, and players know they are really fighting for a space atm. As it stands, will be a lot of pressure on Ralph and the coaching set up to manage the players and their expectations. Especially if we sign 4 more...

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

"For Oriol playing as a six is a little difficult because he’s not such a holding midfielder, he likes to go everywhere," Hasenhuttl said, speaking after Southampton's goalless draw with Watford on Saturday. "This is the reason why I tried to bring in more up front. I know he’s not the quickest one in this position but he knows how to score goals in this area and it’s one of the things that we’ve tried and it worked quite well."

Well done Ralf, he is trying to keep a very influential player on the field.  One of my favorite players, but needing a rethink as his speed had gone. His composure is his greatest asset,  seen him take many balls in close, quick pass or shield the ball, then pass the ball intelligently. His reading of the play and confidence he brings is invaluable.  He did well in that holding mid last year,  but at times he was easily run past and too slow to track back. So why not move him up the feild a bit. He can still influence the game without leaving us exposed to fast counters.

Oriol is a sfc playing legend!

• Like 8

For once Ralph got his half time bollocking spot on as McCarthy Valery Redmond Diallo and Elyonoussi were way off giving the ball away frequently  but we’re all much better from the whistle with great tackles and aggression 

Djnepo still a conundrum though…I really want him to succeed 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

"Chance for us to grab the one or the other" - what do we reckon he means by that?  Broja or Delap?  Or just a figure of speech?

we were looking for two attacking players (generally rather than individuals) and likely to pick up one somewhere but maybe not two?

Delap has made 2 appearances and scored 0 goals for his club. Broja scored 6 in 32. Though I'm sure there's more about them both than that stat makes out, I wouldn't be devastated if we went in a different direction. Dembele ideally.

22 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

From Ralfs comments it seems we are in normal wait mode until the top teams have filled their boots.

We unusually got quite a few signings done quickly. So not as much pressure as other years as we wait for the players who think they can get into a top team.

This is actually exciting as we shoot for players that "are too good for SFC" and are being looked at by the big teams. When it comes clear they will not get a big club we swoop in. Maybe very late in the window so patience is needed.

6 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

This is actually exciting as we shoot for players that "are too good for SFC" and are being looked at by the big teams. When it comes clear they will not get a big club we swoop in. Maybe very late in the window so patience is needed.

Indeed, that is how we signed Danny Ings

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

From Ralfs comments it seems we are in normal wait mode until the top teams have filled their boots.

We unusually got quite a few signings done quickly. So not as much pressure as other years as we wait for the players who think they can get into a top team.

Who is that tall striker that wants to go to united that we've been linked with? Made me think of him. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Delap has made 2 appearances and scored 0 goals for his club. Broja scored 6 in 32. Though I'm sure there's more about them both than that stat makes out, I wouldn't be devastated if we went in a different direction. Dembele ideally.

It might be worth checking out Shearers stats for the first few seasons. Obviously in 1987 he was only 17, but in his third season, which might comparable with Broja in terms of age and experience, he played 35 games and scored 5 goals:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Shearer

James Beattie in 1998 scored 6 in 39 for us (he was 20 and in his third season), so, again, similar age and experience 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Beattie_(footballer)

I was going to suggest Harry Kane too, but he has all manner of loans before something just clicked (I think he just hit one, it flew in and then from then onwards he just decided to be selfish and hit anything from anywhere and the rest is history)

Saints are in the crystal ball game these days. We 'gambling' a tad on youth, so seeing potential is the name of the game and you don't need a good eye to see that Broja has great potential. Whether he, Delap and come to think of it Lavia or Mara realise that potential I don't know.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Chez said:

It might be worth checking out Shearers stats for the first few seasons. Obviously in 1987 he was only 17, but in his third season, which might comparable with Broja in terms of age and experience, he played 35 games and scored 5 goals:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Shearer

James Beattie in 1998 scored 6 in 39 for us (he was 20 and in his third season), so, again, similar age and experience 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Beattie_(footballer)

I was going to suggest Harry Kane too, but he has all manner of loans before something just clicked (I think he just hit one, it flew in and then from then onwards he just decided to be selfish and hit anything from anywhere and the rest is history)

Saints are in the crystal ball game these days. We 'gambling' a tad on youth, so seeing potential is the name of the game and you don't need a good eye to see that Broja has great potential. Whether he, Delap and come to think of it Lavia or Mara realise that potential I don't know.

Yes and I wouldn't write them off. I'm just saying, from a fan's perspective I wouldn't be crying about it if they didn't sign.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Who is that tall striker that wants to go to united that we've been linked with? Made me think of him. 

51 minutes ago, Chez said:

Sasa kalajdzic from Stuttgart?

48 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

That's the one. That would fit that sort of tactic, waiting to see if he is picked up or not. 

I've still got a gut feel that he'll end up here

• Like 1

1 hour ago, revolution saint said:

"Chance for us to grab the one or the other" - what do we reckon he means by that?  Broja or Delap?  Or just a figure of speech?

He made a specific reference to the top 6 and not everyone being able to move there... Who is that guy in the Bundesliga that was rumoured to want a united move and was waiting on that?

Edited by Saint86

10 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I thought you meant Sesko

Who we unfortunately have zero chance of signing, I think Id discombobulate if we got him

Mara has at least equivalent if not better stats than Sesko especially considering he played in a better league and his club was pretty poor. TBH all I’ve seen is YouTube videos but Sesko didn’t stand out massively. Could be great of course but not seeing what the attraction is with him particularly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Mara has at least equivalent if not better stats than Sesko especially considering he played in a better league and his club was pretty poor. TBH all I’ve seen is YouTube videos but Sesko didn’t stand out massively. Could be great of course but not seeing what the attraction is with him particularly.

Nah genuinely think Sesko is the real deal

He’ll be picked up before too long, pace, power and technically proficient… he didn’t have the greatest campaign last year but I think there is a definite player in there

Fwiw Im very excited by Mara, but I do worry about a couple of parts of his game, he’s a bit greedy and does lose possession a lot but I think he’ll be a star

Im most excited about Lavia… really gutted he didn’t play yesterday, that kids got a really really bright future and Im glad he’s here

3 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Thats what I reckon too. He's top quality is Kalajdzic.

Can't argue with his scoring record - he's, what, 1 in 3 games at least each season in the Bundesliga for a side that struggles most of the time.  Probably the "safest" option we've been linked with.

• Like 1

Just now, revolution saint said:

Can't argue with his scoring record - he's, what, 1 in 3 games at least each season in the Bundesliga for a side that struggles most of the time.  Probably the "safest" option we've been linked with.

I just watched his goals video from last year and he scores all types of goals. Obviously heading is one of his biggest strengths as he's 6ft 7in. Got an exceptional first touch too.

6 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Thats what I reckon too. He's top quality is Kalajdzic.

I suspect this might now be less likely than I thought it might be a week ago.

Seemed from press reports that he might have been holding out for Man Utd. But I wouldn’t be surprised if Dortmund are now back in the chase after news of Haller being ruled out due to unfortunate news of his health. Or at the very least Kaladjzic might want to wait on that option 

35 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Nah genuinely think Sesko is the real deal

He’ll be picked up before too long, pace, power and technically proficient… he didn’t have the greatest campaign last year but I think there is a 

Press links suggest £55m … which rules us out 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

I just watched his goals video from last year and he scores all types of goals. Obviously heading is one of his biggest strengths as he's 6ft 7in. Got an exceptional first touch too.

He’d be my choice but one thing I’ve questioned is whether we would put the crosses in for him.

Big deal Ron said in an interview his success at Saints was the quality of cross from Paine & Sydenham that he wouldn’t have got anywhere else.

If you look at some of his goals Stuttgart have a left back who floats crosses to him. Compare that with some of our ‘crosses’, Redmond and Ely driving the ball across the area at about 125mph in the hope some fucker  touches it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

He’d be my choice but one thing I’ve questioned is whether we would put the crosses in for him.

Big deal Ron said in an interview his success at Saints was the quality of cross from Paine & Sydenham that he wouldn’t have got anywhere else.

If you look at some of his goals Stuttgart have a left back who floats crosses to him. Compare that with some of our ‘crosses’, Redmond and Ely driving the ball across the area at about 125mph in the hope some fucker  touches it.

To be fair, they'll have a bigger target to aim at if he signed.  That might help them.  Agree though, we don't really cross the ball much and certainly not from the 10s.

12 minutes ago, Badger said:

Kalajdzic scores all types of goals.

18 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Looks like it may have been him...

What does "monitoring the condition" mean?

Are we going round every 4 hours to check his temperature and blood pressure? Seems a bit extreme.