Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

25 minutes ago, Nolan said:

If he goes to Stoke its because Rory Delap is a first team coach there.

makes sense, but he could get 46 games there. Here? Who knows. Clubs want players out on loan to be playing, a lot. 

5 hours ago, revolution saint said:

Yeah but Stuart Armstrong has been used more than Che, or at least feels like it. Plus that doesn’t really explain the lack of minutes at the end of last season. I agree he shouldn’t have fallen down the pecking order as he’s our best current striker by a mile which makes his lack of game time even more confusing. You’d have thought that a major change in formation would also necessitate playing him more than he has, so that we’re as best prepared as possible. 
I’m not saying there’s any truth in the article and the fee is laughable but Che should have been involved more (unless he’s carrying an injury).

Mmmm.but with Stuart A. playing further upfield maybe RH is testing the possibility of ...." playing him as a striker?  " surely not ? that doesn't sound right. 

Things are quiet at the moment, but they usually are. Clubs want to buy, but agents holding out for best deals.

Once the season starts the dominoes will start to tumble.

I bet Southampton will start looking a lot more attractive to the likes of Dembele, once all the berths at top 7 have been taken.

At the moment the situation with strikers at Saints is critical. Just 3 to choose from, one young and unproven, one has zero form, the other Leeds want. Definitely need transfer action in that dept.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, revolution saint said:

So he rested Che during much of the pre season so that he’ll be fit for the spurs game? Yeah that makes sense.

Fwiw my friend, I didn't realise he'd left him out for much of pre season.  Just responding to the last match.

2 hours ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

Just putting aside the random rumours about us selling Che Adams for a moment, it seems to have gone very quiet in relation to us signing anyone and especially another striker. Indeed the strikers we have been linked with seem to be becoming increasingly more unlikely all the time:

• Armando Broja - linked to loads of clubs, not least Real Madrid, while Chelsea are short of first team strikers and seem to want to keep him.
  • Liam Delap - strong rumours that he is about to go to Stoke on loan.
  • Sasa Kalajdzic - linked to Man Utd, Spurs, Brighton, Roma and West Ham as well as Saints and rumours that he is only prepared to move to a 'big club'.
  • Moussa Dembele - no recent news in relation to Saints; has recently been linked with Man Utd.

Other than these, who else are we looking at? Is it still possible that we will sign one of the above? What does anyone think?

We will have a list of decent strikers we are looking at without a shadow of a doubt.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, davefizzy14 said:

Just seen this, hoping it's true:

Screenshot_20220731-155334_Samsung Internet.jpg

Looking like our strike force is going to be formidable, especially with Timo Werner giving us an alternative option coming off the bench. Get it done Saints

Edited by CB Fry
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

Just putting aside the random rumours about us selling Che Adams for a moment, it seems to have gone very quiet in relation to us signing anyone and especially another striker. Indeed the strikers we have been linked with seem to be becoming increasingly more unlikely all the time:

• Armando Broja - linked to loads of clubs, not least Real Madrid, while Chelsea are short of first team strikers and seem to want to keep him.
  • Liam Delap - strong rumours that he is about to go to Stoke on loan.
  • Sasa Kalajdzic - linked to Man Utd, Spurs, Brighton, Roma and West Ham as well as Saints and rumours that he is only prepared to move to a 'big club'.
  • Moussa Dembele - no recent news in relation to Saints; has recently been linked with Man Utd.

Other than these, who else are we looking at? Is it still possible that we will sign one of the above? What does anyone think?

We were linked with Junior Adamu of Salzburg earlier in the summer. Austrian International, 21, skilled according to the 'trustworthy' YouTube videos. I guess it depends on what happens with Sesko who is linked heavily with United.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davefizzy14 said:

Just seen this, hoping it's true:

Screenshot_20220731-155334_Samsung Internet.jpg

Pretty gutted about Delap so this would be amazing if true.

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

For those that think Ings might be leaving Villa this summer, he’s just been given their number 9 shirt:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CgmXADAMucu/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I have no idea why anyone thought Danny would want back, considering the manner of his departure.

• Like 3

My own personal view Che Adams. Nice lad good at hold up play but as striker doesn't really offer alot in terms of return on finishing. 

Same as Armstrong really infact our whole attack is pretty lacklustre... 

Ultimately goals is what we need as that will ensure we keep Premiership status. 

If we have better targets ready to go I wouldn't lose sleep if we shipped out both Adams and Armstrong and fully solidified and invested in the attack. 

• Like 1

Adams would be an exceptional Premier League striker if he could put the ball a yard either side of where he tends to aim (straight at the keeper).

In terms of Moussa Dembelé, I think given the lack of effort, basic grammar etc that this is a non-starter. Would be an absolute steal if it did happen mind.

Edited by FarehamSaintJames

Interesting Re: Dembele.

In this interview with Radio Solent after Monaco, Ralph mentions that the market has cooled down and there are less options to go to the top Six.

It does echo what we thought of Dembele's situation.

Edited by Nolan
  • Like 2

Surely we can’t get rid of Adams, he’s the best of our strikers at the club at the moment. People are talking about upgrading the strike force but surely your best striker is the last one that needs to be upgraded. Also, he’s definitely our hardest working attacker and he has good link up play but last season his minutes per goal (268) is only 8 more minutes than Broja (260) who everyone said had an amazing season. I think in general we need to to improve upfront, I just can’t see getting rid of Adams right now is a good move unless you bring in two more of a superior level. Not meaning with a higher potential but who are currently performing higher than Adams

• Like 3

I think we have done enough business numbers wise that we can afford now to wait and see what develops towards the end of the window which is always when the bulk of transfers happen.

Full back cover is arguably less of an urgent priority now that we will almost certainly play with wing backs in the first few games which will probably see Djenepo start at least the first game (not sure Perraud is really a wing back in the Ralph mould either tbh).

At centre back we already have one too many anyway so surely need to lose two before we bring another in? Also seems Colwill will be included in any deal for Fofana so hopefully that doesnt happen.

Striker wise all teams are searching for good ones. Will be interesting to see what happens as its not certain that Adams and Armstrong will be here next season and clearly Mara will take time to have an impact. Seems likely Stu will be used off a striker to start with as Ralph doesn't like the Adams/Armstrong partnership. In this position we obviously have targets and quite possibly it will go to the last days of the window to get one of them.

In an ideal world we would get a new #10 too but I don't think that will happen as we havent been linked to any this summer and aside from Aribo and Armstrong we still have on the books Djenepo, Elyounoussi, Tella and Walcott so surely would need to get shot of 2 or 3 of them before bringing in anyone else. Personally think Tella needs a loan move to the Championship. He has some good attributes but not sure he will ever have the first touch and composure to be a successful PL attacker.

Also...assuming we sign a striker for at least £10m, surely we need to do some balancing of the books given what we have already spent? We have a lot of players who are never going to be regular starters and a few could leave (perm or loan) and it would barely make a difference: Lis, Lyanco, Stephens, Valery, Diallo, Redmond, Elyounoussi, Djenepo, Walcott, Tella

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

The old ones aren't about that much anymore. Hypo, manji, Appy, Weston Saint. New generation coming through.

Saint Garret guy fella?

The main bloke I spoke to moved to a new prem club. I know a couple of other people but not as well. Mostly just get some info on the kits now. 

Of course we all like Che - nice lad, incredible work rate and attitude, and definitely the best striker at the club. But there's no denying that he scores nowhere near a sufficient number to carry us. Obviously I'd much prefer to see AA leaving, but if someone's willing to part with £20m+ for Che and that money gets us a double figures per season striker then I would understand the move.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Dr. Kucho said:

Dani Olmo from RB Leipzig could be a player worth signing. Can play on the wing or as an attacking midfielder. Used to be a starter for RB Leipzig but now mainly used as a sub. 

Would be very useful combined with our 70 minute drinks break + JWP too.

24 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Would be very useful combined with our 70 minute drinks break + JWP too.

I don't think it was "smart".  If the guy who placed it there deliberately intended to do it to deceive, wouldn't what be an infringement under "unsporting behaviour" rules?  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Oh good grief please please please let us sign him.

The poster on the UI says himself “he knows a guy, who knows a guy…..” nice if any chance of being true but if there’s also any truth in the player having said he wouldn’t consider coming here then this doesn’t sound a great match.

17 hours ago, goodymatt said:

For those that think Ings might be leaving Villa this summer, he’s just been given their number 9 shirt:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CgmXADAMucu/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Thank goodness for that, for a horrible moment I thought there might be an element of truth in some of the rumours. I will contribute to any fund that keeps him in Birmingham permanently. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, alehouseboys said:

The poster on the UI says himself “he knows a guy, who knows a guy…..” nice if any chance of being true but if there’s also any truth in the player having said he wouldn’t consider coming here then this doesn’t sound a great match.

He didn't even know the the difference between expected and accepted so very much doubt there is anything in this. 

That said though i'm pretty sure he does have a few contacts at the club

We would of heard more news from others on Twitter by now if something was happening.

I just hope we sign a striker we’ve heard of that will 100% push us on and excite the fans.

Get rid of the likes of Redmond, A.Armstrong and Theo to pay his wages.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

Pretty gutted about Delap so this would be amazing if true.

I have no idea why anyone thought Danny would want back, considering the manner of his departure.

The manner of his departure? What did he do wrong exactly?

The way I see it, he had a year left on his contract and he accepted an offer of a better wage elsewhere and we got a big fee for him. Why do some people have a problem with that? It's not like he slagged us off in the media and smeared shit all over the walls at Staplewood on his way out or anything.

I'm not saying I would want him back - that ship has sailed. But he did nothing to deserve some of the vitriol he gets here. It's just childish really.

• Like 6

Agree with the above give them 40 million and get it done. 

Would be a signal of intent for sure. Least we know he is capable and has massive potential.... 

Sell the deadwood just get Broja here for me striker wise he is the one I want here. 

Edited by ally_uk
Adding content
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Agree with the above give them 40 million and get it done. 

Would be a signal of intent for sure. Least we know he is capable and has massive potential.... 

Sell the deadwood just get Broja here for me striker wise he is the one I want here. 

Just like that! 40 million 😂 best you empty your piggy bank. Sell the dead wood😂 must be a football manager thing. You can’t sell, if nobody wants to buy, and only Premiership teams, can afford Premiership type wages. So who is going to buy our ‘deadwood’? 

• Like 2