Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

If (and its a big if) there is genuine interest from KWP in the top 8 or so then seems extremely unlikely he would chose to sign a new contract with us so the reality is he will probably leave in one of the next two windows, or his value would start to decrease, and as we have seen with various others once you get to a year left you end up just getting back what you paid.

For our strategy to work we do need to start selling £30m+ players again.

That said, with full back being our weakest position cover wise, I can't see Saints selling now unless we got a huge offer.

8 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

My only hope here is KWP has already done the fringes of the team at a big club thing and facilitated a move away in search of what he has here. Would've been more worried if it were United/Arsenal where he'd be an immediate starter.

This is right - it will all hinge on whether KWP wants to go

Another highly tipped youngster. Would’ve liked to see us go for him.

Chelsea are either seriously planning for their future or are stock piling for the U23’s. Is it next year you can only loan out “X” amount of players a season?
No more loaning out fourth players a year for them.

72B1BBE5-E2D8-44E1-9DE2-25381798DF7C.jpeg

Edited by FarehamSaintJames

16 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Chelsea are either seriously planning for their future or are stock piling for the U23’s. Is it next year you can only loan out “X” amount of players a season?

Chelsea back to their pillage-the-f*ck out-of-everyone best  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

My only hope here is KWP has already done the fringes of the team at a big club thing and facilitated a move away in search of what he has here. Would've been more worried if it were United/Arsenal where he'd be an immediate starter.

Absolutely this. He’s already left a higher-profile club because he wanted to play every week and be a regular first choice, which his talent deserves.

Unless they offered him stupid wages* you’d hope that he’d pass on an opportunity to go back to being a back-up or hoping James gets injured. 

(*Which of course they might) 

6 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Absolutely this. He’s already left a higher-profile club because he wanted to play every week and be a regular first choice, which his talent deserves.

Unless they offered him stupid wages* you’d hope that he’d pass on an opportunity to go back to being a back-up or hoping James gets injured. 

Remember though, he was back up here for a while when Tino was favoured, and KWP was one of our best performers at that time.  I wouldn't be surprised if he was annoyed about it and feels uncertain about his position in Saints first 11 this season.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

21 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

I reckon he'd be more involved than you think. They're light on CB's so I can see James shifting to CB and solving a problem there, and KWP slotting in at RWB. We'd miss him massively though. 

42 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Welcome to Southampton on loan. 

21 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Or we just tell him/them no. After all, it’s not his decision with 3 years left on his contract.

£50m+ for KWP if that’s what Cucarella is being valued at. I think he’s a superb player but this is our model, he probably wouldn’t compete with James, as it sounds like James is moving to RCB anyway. 

I’m more worried that we currently have 1 fit LB and 1 fit RB, of which one may leave.

This deal needs to be on Saints’ terms if it’s going to happen, with a decent RB replacement lined up. He’s really important to us. 

8 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

£50m+ for KWP if that’s what Cucarella is being valued at. I think he’s a superb player but this is our model, he probably wouldn’t compete with James, as it sounds like James is moving to RCB anyway. 

I’m more worried that we currently have 1 fit LB and 1 fit RB, of which one may leave.

This deal needs to be on Saints’ terms if it’s going to happen, with a decent RB replacement lined up. He’s really important to us. 

we have Jan Valery ready and waiting,  plus Jack Stephens and JWP can fill in 

• Haha 4
  • Sad 2

Little point Saints building up the squad with some youth/quality to then decimate that quality with a last minute sale of our best players. If they think this is a good idea and are seriously considering it, then SR deserve relegation and loss of investment as a result. Sell players yes, but only when a head of steam has been built up.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Selling players is sort of what we do. I'd rather not sell him but I'd make peace with it if it allowed us to sign a striker, winger and full back. 

Well yes that is the plan. If you don't like it - SR out - Sunak in. He'd love to run us.

Mind you he'd put up ticket prices but bring them down when we've paid off the debt.

10 hours ago, Kenilworthy said:

There is a big difference between Leeds and Leicester in that Leeds actually won nothing despite their spending. Leicester have achieved a league title and an FA Cup win that they will remember for ever.

I don't remember mentioning Leeds at all but yeah whatever.

There is a significant difference between Risdale Leeds and Leicester in that Ridsdale spent huge sums to win the league/regularly compete in the Champions League, and it collapsed when they failed to qualify. But they went out to spend their way to the top 4. It was a clear, demonstrable aim.

Leicester did not set out to win the league, they did not invest to win the league, but they did anyway. In a complete freak season. Their FA Cup season and Euro qualifications are more by design and intent, but its interesting that that is turning out to not be sustainable either.

Edited by CB Fry

1 hour ago, Manuel said:

Remember though, he was back up here for a while when Tino was favoured, and KWP was one of our best performers at that time.  I wouldn't be surprised if he was annoyed about it and feels uncertain about his position in Saints first 11 this season.  

This!!!!!!

• Confused 1

Obviously if your KWP you'd want to make the move, but if i'm totally honest my feeling is that he'll end up back on loan at a Villa or Newcastle style club in the next 18 months. He'll be a squad player for them and that seems like a total waste.

After JWP there is no one more important to us, in fact I'd argue that he is the most important player we have. Our game is centered around 4-2-2-2 - so for that to work, we need expressive full backs who can get to the by-line and attack, and equally with the 3 at the back method he's even more important as a wing back. He can do the job at LB or RB, he is our main width. Take him out of our side and we have very little bar a JWP free kick.

I can only imagine the low fee is due to some form of release clause in his contract?

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ekelund said:

Would explain Garret’s recent update re the City RB

Wouldn’t read too much into that we were going to bring in full back cover anyway.

Walker Peters is a great player but we’re going to have to get used to this, it’s the future of the club, bring them in cheap and when we get an offer that meets our valuation they’ll go. Let’s just hope we replace them better than we’ve done the last few years

• Like 3

If Chelsea want him they'll get him, unless for some bizarre reason he'd rather stay.

Maybe the club will flat out say no but I doubt it, one thing I do believe though is that we'll get a decent fee for anyone leaving as we are in a better financial position than we were in previous transfer windows.

Selling KwP would be ridiculous. 

I get it players will move on (and we have to move them one etc).  But Full back is easily our weakest part of the pitch due to KwP being the only decent one we have available

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 2

Just remember the reason why we are attracting these younger players. It’s an opportunity for them to progress onto bigger things. 
Saints will ask for a reasonable price and if the interested club want him then KWP will love the fact will won’t stop him. Same goes for Latvia, Livermento, Salisu etc and the story will go on.

Edited by Pilchards

I can't say I'd be happy if we sell KWP this summer but if its anywhere north of 40m it's probably a no brainer in all reality. I'd hope for 50m+ but unless a player is included I doubt the cash price will be more than 40m. 

As others have stated this is our model, buy young, relatively cheaply, develop and sell for good profit. If we stop selling then the model fails and part of the attraction for these younger players disappears. 

We appear to have some decent money for a striker and one or two more already. Perhaps a sale of this level will mean we can buy one or two more, and or buy slightly better players in the positions we need; Striker, Winger/No.10/, and CB. Clearly a RB and or LB too!!!

Hopefully either way this goes its a win. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Just remember the reason why we are attracting these younger players. It’s an opportunity for them to progress onto bigger things. 
Saints will ask for a reasonable price and if the interested club want him then KWP will love the fact will won’t stop him. Same goes for Garcia, Livermento, Salisu etc and the story will go on.

I don't disagree with that, this is our model and we're totally invested in that. It's all about timing though, whilst it's our model we can't let it impact us to the point of putting the entire team in trouble. We cannot absorb the sale of KWP as it stands, whereas give it a year and we'd have Tino back and we could arguably absorb that loss al little more than we can today.

The model we employ will work if the timing of the deals is right for US and the scouting on the reinvestments is sound.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 5

On 01/08/2022 at 19:23, S-Clarke said:

Leicester seem to be in a bit of a mess.

They're selling Schmeichel, but Rodgers has come out and said the new first choice keeper will be one of their current backups - Iverson or Ward, they'll only go into the market for a third choice.

That's the narrative of a club on the trajectory of a long and drawn out death, as we all know too well.

Maddison will probably leave for the £50ishm fee too, talk of Dewsbury-Hall being seen as his replacement ''inside the club''. Not a happy place there atm.

pretty sure we had a whole season of posts 'saying wish we were Leicester'

Their recruitment is excellent etc etc..

how are they getting these players over us

its not

I said it at the time and i will say it again

if we were Leicester, and we had spunked the amount of money they did on players transfer fees, with no re-sell. letting players out on loan as they couldn't sell them, and paying far more than we can on wages you lot would have gone mad

Posted 30 January, 2021

While I agree with some of the statements about Leicester, let us not forget they have brought some stinkers along with the decent players, lets not make them out to be the clever transfer people

its just they are willing to pay a larger transfer fee and bigger wages - we were in for Maddison and should have been in for Maguire - Tielmans was always off to Man U we all thought but they paid £40m to get him and have just paid £32m on Wesley Fofana - 

we don't pay though sort of fees (though i would like us to)

They have a lot of players on £60/70k wages who don't play very often (Praet etc.) 

Islam Slimani - left on a FREE after spending £30m on him -

36 appearances - 8 goals in the league and

48 app - 13 goals in total over 3-4 seasons

imagine the bed wetting / negativity on here if he had been a Saints player

Kelechi Iheanacho - £25m -

81 Appearances - 9 goals in the league and 

107 app - 23 goals total over 4 seasons 

again imagine the posters on here (the woe is me brigade) 

Aypze Perez = £30m

49 appearances - 9 goals in the league

55 apps and 10 goals in total

again imagine this place - the doom merchants OMG

Ahmed Musa - £18m 

2 seasons - 21 appearances - 2 goals

then to on loan now playing in Dubai - imagine some of our posters OMG

Arian silva - £23m - left on a FREE

2 seasons - 14 appearances - Not to beat a massive drum but I can imagine certain posters throwing themselves off buildings at this one

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/leicester-city/transferrekorde/verein/1003

https://www.transfermarkt.com/leicester-city/rekordabgaenge/verein/1003

https://footballleaguefc.com/leicester-city-2020-21-player-wages/

i could go over the next set of transfers, but again they have overpaid on fees and wages but its not worth it 

Daka, Soumare, Vestergarrd

#wishwewereleicester (everton / palace / leeds - anyone spending money)

#thebedwettersonhere 🤷‍♂️

On 01/08/2022 at 19:32, Saint Matty 76 said:

Think I tried making a case for Damsgaard last year, looks like he's got 2 in his last 49 games since the Euros however so probably not kicked on as expected.

Dennis - Joao Pedro - Sarr front line for Watford tonight in their first Champ game. I'm not a huge Sarr fan but I think you could make a case that's stronger than ours!

i remember that - you did indeed (Damsgarrd)

Those 3 strikers all looked like they were playing for a transfer - fast / pace, good movement

would take any of them

12 hours ago, Kenilworthy said:

There is a big difference between Leeds and Leicester in that Leeds actually won nothing despite their spending. Leicester have achieved a league title and an FA Cup win that they will remember for ever.

will give you that - amazing :toppa: :adore:

2022 Summer Transfers

Arsenal - 5 - £112.85m - Turner (£4.85m), Marquinhos (£3m), Vieira (£30m), Jesus (£45m), Zinchenko (£30m)
Aston Villa - 4 - £45.8m - Coutinho (£17m), Kamara (free), Carlos (£26m), Olsen (£2.8m)
Bournemouth - 3 - £10m - Fredericks (free), Rothwell (free), Taverner (£10m)

Brentford - 4 - £30m - Hickey (£14m), Lewis-Potter (£16m), Strakosha (free), Mee (free)

Brighton - 2 - £15.5m - Enciso (£9.5m), Adingra (£6m)
Chelsea - 2 - £80.5m - Sterling (£47.5m), Koulibaly (£33m)
Crystal Palace - 4 - £26.5m - Ebiowei (fee to be agreed), Johnstone (free), Doucoure (£18m), Richards (£8.5m)
Everton - 3 - £20m - Tarkowski (free), Vinagre (loan), McNeil (£20m)
Fulham - 3 - £33.4m - Palhinha (£17m), Pereira (£10m), Mbabu (£6.4m)

Leeds - 5 - £78.7m - Aaronson (£22.2m), Kristensen (£10m), Roca (£10m), Adams (£15m), Sinisterra (£21.5m)
Leicester - 0 - £0 - 
Liverpool - 3 - £73.5m - Carvalho (£5m), Nunez (£64.3m), Ramsey (£4.2m)
Man City - 3 - £93.1m - Haaland (£51.1m), Moreno (free), Phillips (£42m)
Man Utd - 3 - £59.1m - Malacia (£13m), Eriksen (free), Martinez (£46.1m)
Newcastle - 3 - £53m - Targett (£12m), Pope (£10m), Botman (£31m)

Nottingham Forest - 11 - £78.7m - Awoniyi (£17m), Henderson (loan), Biancone (£5m), Niakhate (£8.5m), Richards (£8.5m), Williams (£17m), Hennessey (free), O'Brien & Toffolo (£10m combined), Lingard (free), Mangala (£12.7m)

Southampton - 6 - £46.6m - Bazunu (£12m), Lis (free), Bella-Kotchap (£8.6m), Lavia (£10.5m), Aribo (£6m), Mara (£9.5m)
Tottenham - 7 - £130m -  Perisic (free), Forster (free), Bissouma (£25m), Romero (£42.5m), Richarlison (£50m), Lenglet (loan), Spence (£12.5m)

West Ham - 4 - £80.25m - Aguerd (£30m), Areola (£7.75m), Downes (£12m), Scamacca (£30.5m)
Wolves - 1 - £20.5m - Collins (£20.5m)

Total Signings: 76
Total Spend: £1,098,000,000

Transfer Window SLAMS Shut: 11pm, 1 September

2 minutes ago, le_tiss said:

if we were Leicester, and we had spunked the amount of money they did on players transfer fees, with no re-sell. letting players out on loan as they couldn't sell them, and paying far more than we can on wages you lot would have gone mad

Didn't we do exactly that though?

Boufal, Lemina, Carillo, Hoedt, Elyounoussi, Osvaldo

Easily over £100m on that lot and a hell of a lot on wages too! All clubs make mistakes in the market, I'm fairy sure at least one of our signings this summer will end up being a mistake, but the good ones need to ballance that out. We had about 3 windows in a row of pretty much bad transfers, Leicester are on a similar trajectory now and have got themselves into a bit of a mess with FFP and other financial bits.

Previously though they managed to sign Tilliemans, Fofana, Castange, Justin, Maddison, Evans, Perreria, Ndidi, Maguire etc etc. They certainly had a few windows of making some massive signings who contributed positivly, much like we did with Tadic, Mane, VVD etc.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, le_tiss said:

Southampton - 6 - £46.6m - Bazunu (£12m), Lis (free), Bella-Kotchap (£8.6m), Lavia (£10.5m), Aribo (£6m), Mara (£9.5m)

Why is that not including the full fee with add ons like some of the others on the list? Total for Saints is £58.5m when those are included.