Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

Adams was our second highest league scorer last season with 7 goals and is pretty much guaranteed 5-10 league goals a season. We already need to replace Broja's 6 league goals from last season. Now, we could replace Broja's with Broja himself, if we were to sell Adams. But, I also couldn't see Broja adding the other 7 to his goal tally at this stage in his career considering he got 6 in 32 last season. Undoubtedly, Broja does have the higher career ceiling and will likely hit 15 a season at some point. However, we have so many youngsters coming into the team this summer, that are unlikely to hit the ground running and need bedding in that we need the more senior known talents of players like Adams and KWP for this season. Next summer, should the outfield youngsters of Lavia, ABK and Mara grow into the players we're hoping for, then we can probably afford to sell one, or two players within our first eleven, as we did in the summer of 2014. But, for now, given there's so many questions over the current squad, we need to play safe. £20m to Nottingham Forest isn't a good deal, either. I've posted before all the striker flops, who have transferred for around £20m and more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Toadhall Saint said:

The player nearly always gets what they want. Tell me the last one that didn’t 

I'm not saying that doesn't happen, of course it does - player power is ridiculous these days. I'm just saying that in contract it's down to the club to decide on whether they can leave or not.

With 3 years left, the club could just say "Hi Kyle, thanks for your transfer request. It's denied. Better get back to training eh?" Which if this issue has come up i'm hoping is what they'd say unless it's a ridiculous offer that the club can't turn down.

3 minutes ago, LeBizzier69 said:

I'm not saying that doesn't happen, of course it does - player power is ridiculous these days. I'm just saying that in contract it's down to the club to decide on whether they can leave or not.

With 3 years left, the club could just say "Hi Kyle, thanks for your transfer request. It's denied. Better get back to training eh?" Which if this issue has come up i'm hoping is what they'd say unless it's a ridiculous offer that the club can't turn down.

Harry Kane being the example from last summer. 

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

I'd say the reason we haven't seen that for a while is because the quality has eroded around him. He was forming a decentish partnership with Broja, but there was something that never really clicked with those two. He was in his fore with Danny Ings, who used to run in behind which allowed Che to play the balls in behind.

We haven't had a player like Ings since he left, so he's not going to be seen as that effective. This isn't a slight on Che as he's decent, but without top quality alongside him he struggles. I know people laugh at the term 'Support Striker', but that's exactly what he is. If the quality he's supporting isn't great then he's equally not going to look great as he's never going to be prolific himself.

Ings was at his most prolific when supported by Long.

I think Che is a very ordinary player and a poor finisher.  I would take £20m and reinvest.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, LeBizzier69 said:

And KWP says bugger that I want to leave so I’ll go on strike.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Ings was at his most prolific when supported by Long.

I think Che is a very ordinary player and a poor finisher.  I would take £20m and reinvest.

Who would you replace Che with for £20m?

We have been after a striker all summer and landed an untried French 20 year old for £15m?

So we need 2 strikers when at moment we can’t seem to get 1 and yes I know there are still 20+ days left but wouldn’t it be great for once to have a good start?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, LeBizzier69 said:

Both have power, but the player has the ultimate power if they are belligerent.  VVD was a perfect example of how we tried to hold on, but the player decided to down tools and do a half arsed job. Schneiderlin's transfer on the other hand did his last year admirably.

Cucarella has reportedly put in a transfer request, so Brighton may have a VVD or a Schneiderlin on their hands, which one, we will see. 

48 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Adams was our second highest league scorer last season with 7 goals and is pretty much guaranteed 5-10 league goals a season. We already need to replace Broja's 6 league goals from last season. Now, we could replace Broja's with Broja himself, if we were to sell Adams. But, I also couldn't see Broja adding the other 7 to his goal tally at this stage in his career considering he got 6 in 32 last season. Undoubtedly, Broja does have the higher career ceiling and will likely hit 15 a season at some point. However, we have so many youngsters coming into the team this summer, that are unlikely to hit the ground running and need bedding in that we need the more senior known talents of players like Adams and KWP for this season. Next summer, should the outfield youngsters of Lavia, ABK and Mara grow into the players we're hoping for, then we can probably afford to sell one, or two players within our first eleven, as we did in the summer of 2014. But, for now, given there's so many questions over the current squad, we need to play safe. £20m to Nottingham Forest isn't a good deal, either. I've posted before all the striker flops, who have transferred for around £20m and more.

We've already signed Aribo/Mara you'd assume to replace Broja's goals. Adams wouldn't be the first name i'd be looking to shift on but neither is he the cream (KWP/JWP etc) that i would completely baulk at selling. We need to bring in a first choice striker & you'd think we're likely going to need to generate funds from someone like Bednarek or Adams to do so.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

My view is that between them, Armstrong and Adams have been seen as a disappointment due to the fact that they were both high scoring strikers in the Championship that should have made the step up to the Prem with relative ease, but simply have not done so.

Yes Adams has more goals, but Armstrong has mobility and the option to play as a wide attacker which suits Ralphball better.  Adams probably fetches more money because of his goals and ability to be a target man for a club that plays to those strengths, so if a decent offer comes in and that adds to the funds available to buy Broja or one of the other decent strikers we’ve been linked to, it’s not going to be a bad bit of business. Rather sell Adams than KWP that’s for sure!

• Like 1

https://www.skysports.com/football/story-telling/11700/12663553/ralph-hasenhuttl-exclusive-interview-southampton-manager-on-clubs-fresh-start

Good interview with Ralph in which he correctly identifies that our best spell last season was when Broja was on fire and he says we need to find a striker who makes a difference in the final third.

Certainly sounds like whoever comes in will be a major signing.

Broja still not moved anywhere...still maintain if its affordable he should be the #1 target. Will be very interesting to see if he features in Chelsea's first few games.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

Adams is a very good footballer, i really think he's not far off being a very good striker and could easily have a 12-15 goal a season striker in him. His all round play is great, he just needs a bit more compsure in front of goal. I'd be very disapointed if we sold him as we're a better team when he plays.

Completely agree… but que the people saying they’d rather have Broja despite Che having a better season and overall being a better player right now

It’s baffling

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Completely agree… but que the people saying they’d rather have Broja despite Che having a better season and overall being a better player right now

It’s baffling

Why baffling?  Adams career has effectively waned here, whereas Broja’s has risen and (perhaps arguably) has more potential to offer. As I’ve written above, we can’t afford to have two ineffective strikers on the books and Armstrong probably suits Ralph’s playbook more than Adams does, so guess who will go if a decent offer comes in?

1 minute ago, Smirking_Saint said:

It’s baffling

People on here expect us to have/sign multiple strikers capable of 15+ goals in a PL season. Firstly, those numbers are very difficult in the PL, secondly players of that calibre are £30m plus and in huge demand. 

Yes he shouldnt be our no1 striking option but Im very happy with Che as 2nd/3rd choice striking option who can chip in with 7-10 goals a season. His hold up play is an asset to us also

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Why baffling?  Adams career has effectively waned here, whereas Broja’s has risen and (perhaps arguably) has more potential to offer. As I’ve written above, we can’t afford to have two ineffective strikers on the books and Armstrong probably suits Ralph’s playbook more than Adams does, so guess who will go if a decent offer comes in?

Waned? He came into the premier league for the first time when we signed him, took time to score his first goal, scored 4 goals in his first season, followed by 9 in his second and 8 in his third which was last season. He's 26, the club's best striker, playing well when given a chance and has rich veins of form as well as droughts.

How is that a waning career?

Edited by Psycrow
  • Like 8

32 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

We have been after a striker all summer and landed an untried French 20 year old for £15m?

So we need 2 strikers when at moment we can’t seem to get 1 and yes I know there are still 20+ days left but wouldn’t it be great for once to have a good start?

Why can we only spend £20m on his replacement? maybe the £20m can be added to whatever other budget we may have already. 

For what its worth id take £20m for che on the proviso there was enough money to attract a better striker. if not then id keep, surely thats the only decision to be made?

• Like 1

Really surprised at some of the feelings regarding Che. He’s (currently) our best striker. Holds the ball up well, makes intelligent runs, capable of a brilliant goal, good fitness record and seems like a decent bloke. 

for everyone criticising him for not getting 15+ goals a season, well honestly I don’t think we create enough chances for that at the moment. Plus it would be interesting to see what percentage of our goals he contributed to. I think he’s perfectly good for the level we’re at, and I’m not surprised other teams are interested based on his skill set.

With the right players around him he could be a vital cog for us this season. (He’ll be sold now I’ve said that)

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

He scored 7 goals last year and provided 3 assists in the prem

Conversely Broja had 6 goals and 0 assists

I somewhat agree that Broja may well have a higher ceiling, but this isnt FM and it certainly isn’t as guaranteed as many believe. Overall Che’s game is stronger than Broja, because when he isn’t converting chances he is harrying opposition, providing an outlet and general being a very good foil

Broja, from what Ive seen offers goals and little else really, to the point early season Ralph made a point of calling him out for not working hard enough and then late season he again went missing

So yes… I find it baffling… almost as baffling as saying Che’s career has ‘waned’ here which doesn’t really make sense but I see that’s been addressed by Psycrow

Out of interest… if we get 20m for Che who do you propose we replace him with that holds similar attributes?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Psycrow said:

Waned? He came into the premier league for the first time when we signed him, took time to score his first goal, scored 4 goals in his first season, followed by 9 in his second and 8 in his third which was last season. He's 26, the club's best striker, playing well when given a chance and has rich veins of form as well as droughts.

How is that a waning career?

Perhaps ‘waned’ was too strong - stagnated, gone sour? Scoring for fun, he was the talk of the town in the Championship and even being Saints ‘best’ striker (not hard!) he’s not really matched expectations as an Ings replacement.

I’ve never thought he looked like a player that would really push on because he just doesn’t seem to be able to get into scoring positions consistently enough. That may have something to do with the system we employ, but if it doesn’t suit him entirely then best for him and us that he moves on. That said, I’d be happy for him to stay and prove he can be better.

43 minutes ago, Dusic said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/story-telling/11700/12663553/ralph-hasenhuttl-exclusive-interview-southampton-manager-on-clubs-fresh-start

Good interview with Ralph in which he correctly identifies that our best spell last season was when Broja was on fire and he says we need to find a striker who makes a difference in the final third.

Broja still not moved anywhere...still maintain if its affordable he should be the #1 target. Will be very interesting to see if he features in Chelsea's first few games.

Interesting article that, really good to hear the detail of all that's gone on.

It's clear that he recognises the need for a good striker though, like he said our best time last year came with Broja on top and our best time the seasons before that came with Ings on top - it's no coincidence really, good strikers/attackers make all the difference. One of my criticisms over the last year is that we hardly ever seem to sneak a win or a point when we don't play well, if we play bad we lose 9 times out of 10. Having an exceptional attacker, as Ralph alludes to, gives you an opportunity to snatch a goal on the break when you don't deserve it.

I don't trust Adams, Armstrong or Tella to be able to do that. They all fluff their lines too often and seem to need 3 or 4 chances a game to actually get a goal, which doesn't often happen in the PL and certainly not in a game you're playing poorly in. It'll be interesting to see who our targets are, by the wording of 'game-changing' and 'exceptional' you wouldn't expect it to be a kid who has never played pro football. The guy from Stuggart is a key target imo, he's not young enough to be unproven but he's also not old enough to lack future sell-on.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Well i got from that we definitely have a striker coming in, i assume his current club is trying to find a replacement and that is the delay.

7 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Interesting article that, really good to hear the detail of all that's gone on.

It's clear that he recognises the need for a good striker though, like he said our best time last year came with Broja on top and our best time the seasons before that came with Ings on top - it's no coincidence really, good strikers/attackers make all the difference. One of my criticisms over the last year is that we hardly ever seem to sneak a win or a point when we don't play well, if we play bad we lose 9 times out of 10. Having an exceptional attacker, as Ralph alludes to, gives you an opportunity to snatch a goal on the break when you don't deserve it.

I don't trust Adams, Armstrong or Tella to be able to do that. They all fluff their lines too often and seem to need 3 or 4 chances a game to actually get a goal, which doesn't often happen in the PL and certainly not in a game you're playing poorly in. It'll be interesting to see who our targets are, by the wording of 'game-changing' and 'exceptional' you wouldn't expect it to be a kid who has never played pro football. The guy from Stuggart is a key target imo, he's not young enough to be unproven but he's also not old enough to lack future sell-on.

Very insightful.  I've not really thought about it much before but the idea that good strikers who score lots of goals are not just a benefit to the team but also help you win games too is pretty revolutionary stuff.  I just hope other clubs don't figure it out as well.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Out of interest… if we get 20m for Che who do you propose we replace him with that holds similar attributes?

I’d be happy replacing him with Broja because I think he has demonstrated his value in the role, however I’m sure we’ve got a number of other promising targets.  If the club needs to raise funds for an upgrade in the striker ranks, would you rather we sell Adams or KWP?

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

He has 3 years left on his contract, so keeping him this season does not see him enter the final year of his contract next summer.

OK, mistake. Let me rephrase the purely hypothetical scenario that I created.  KWP turns a contract down next summer...

21 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Perhaps ‘waned’ was too strong - stagnated, gone sour? Scoring for fun, he was the talk of the town in the Championship and even being Saints ‘best’ striker (not hard!) he’s not really matched expectations as an Ings replacement.

I’ve never thought he looked like a player that would really push on because he just doesn’t seem to be able to get into scoring positions consistently enough. That may have something to do with the system we employ, but if it doesn’t suit him entirely then best for him and us that he moves on. That said, I’d be happy for him to stay and prove he can be better.

Im not sure he was ever the Ings replacement, I think that was Adam Armstrong… who on the face of it seemed a good fit

Adams plays as I expected him too really, he triggers the press well, makes good runs and tbf to him does get into scoring positions but too often hits the keeper, not sure if he can work on that or not or he just gets unlucky but I like him and he isn’t the obvious striker that, for me, needs replacing… you rarely have 2 striker systems within which both score 10+ goals anyway, and Che plays well as the support striker here

12 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I’d be happy replacing him with Broja because I think he has demonstrated his value in the role, however I’m sure we’ve got a number of other promising targets.  If the club needs to raise funds for an upgrade in the striker ranks, would you rather we sell Adams or KWP?

This is my point, if we sell Che for Broja… then he has no support.. Armstrong isn’t that player, Adams would almost definitely be the guy who partners him, like this year… besides, Broja managed 6 in 32, hardly prolific, Im not completely convinced by him ‘yet’

I don’t think the club need to raise funds for the striker ranks, and I think if necessary those funds would need to come from elsewhere.. it hardly seems sensible selling a striker to sign a replacement in a position we already need another body, does selling Che to sign 2 make sense ? Maybe it does in which case we’ll see

Likewise I don’t see selling KWP to sign a striker is a particularly good idea either considering he is our 2nd best attacking outlet and we’ll then likely need to sign a further 2 FBs

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

Well i got from that we definitely have a striker coming in, i assume his current club is trying to find a replacement and that is the delay.

Hopefully its Dembele or Kalajdzic.

Edited by davefizzy14

25 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

I think, and hope, that you're on the money with this.

IIRC RH made similarcoments a couple of weeks back about a striker coming in and it seemed to indicate a specific signing (rather than a 'we'll get one').

Perhaps we are just waiting for the dominos to start.

Edited by Suhari
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

I take that to mean a player that makes things happen on his own. I.e. not just a goal hanger or even a basic `hold up the ball well' type. Someone with pace, with some skills that can take a defender on and create chances out of nothing, cause problems. Alternatively, it could just mean someone that is a clinal goalscorer. In the end, that's the kind of difference you want made, no goals changed to a goal. I've said many times I don't think Broja will come back, but boy do we need him or someone as good...

36 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Broja, from what Ive seen offers goals and little else really, to the point early season Ralph made a point of calling him out for not working hard enough and then late season he again went missing

Little else? Blimey. Not sure what games you were watching. How about his decent hold up ball, dribbling skills, taking players on and creating openings...he's strong, fast and direct and demonstrated all of those attributes many times in passages of play that didn't end in goals.  What exactly is it you were looking for that he didn't show you?

I don't recall Ralph calling him out for not working hard enough. When was that? 

1 hour ago, Give it to Ron said:

I should qualify by saying we should line up his replacement first.

I don’t think he offers a great deal, and wouldn’t be much of a loss.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

Little else? Blimey. Not sure what games you were watching. How about his decent hold up ball, dribbling skills, taking players on and creating openings...he's strong, fast and direct and demonstrated all of those attributes many times in passages of play that didn't end in goals.  What exactly is it you were looking for that he didn't show you?

I don't recall Ralph calling him out for not working hard enough. When was that? 

Think it was Sheffield United away in the cup last season he was criticised, but that was  before he was a regular starter. 

1 hour ago, Give it to Ron said:

Good question. I guess the £20m could be added to an existing sum the club has available, say £15m, to then give them £35m to buy a really good player. But that would then leave us short of a striker...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

I'm pretty sure it was at the start of his loan spell. He started a couple of games, then disappeared. Ralph said he basically need to grow up and get working if he wanted to play.

3 minutes ago, Appy said:

Think it was Sheffield United away in the cup last season he was criticised, but that was  before he was a regular starter. 

Ah right. I didn't know that.

I didn't watch that game. He played all 120 minutes of that game, with the manager taking Tella and Redmond off. If the manager is not happy with the performance and work rate you'd think substituting you would make more sense than telling the press afterwards that you need to work harder.

Did he have an issue with Broja's work rate thereafter?

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Again Sports Republic have achieved a great job bulking up the team with talent not to mention a superb backstage team. I cannot see them leave the last part of the jigsaw missing. I don’t think we need to sell to buy that will be built into the forward planning

6 minutes ago, Psycrow said:

I'm pretty sure it was at the start of his loan spell. He started a couple of games, then disappeared. Ralph said he basically need to grow up and get working if he wanted to play.

I seem to recall many Saints fans on here calling for Broja to start ASAP (after those early cameos) because it was obvious he was better than what we had...and they were right. 

Sounds like Ralphs `motivational' words worked...and he seems to have taken the same line with Mara. Hopefully he gets a tune out of him too.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Im not sure he was ever the Ings replacement, I think that was Adam Armstrong… who on the face of it seemed a good fit

Adams plays as I expected him too really, he triggers the press well, makes good runs and tbf to him does get into scoring positions but too often hits the keeper, not sure if he can work on that or not or he just gets unlucky but I like him and he isn’t the obvious striker that, for me, needs replacing… you rarely have 2 striker systems within which both score 10+ goals anyway, and Che plays well as the support striker here

This is my point, if we sell Che for Broja… then he has no support.. Armstrong isn’t that player, Adams would almost definitely be the guy who partners him, like this year… besides, Broja managed 6 in 32, hardly prolific, Im not completely convinced by him ‘yet’

I don’t think the club need to raise funds for the striker ranks, and I think if necessary those funds would need to come from elsewhere.. it hardly seems sensible selling a striker to sign a replacement in a position we already need another body, does selling Che to sign 2 make sense ? Maybe it does in which case we’ll see

Likewise I don’t see selling KWP to sign a striker is a particularly good idea either considering he is our 2nd best attacking outlet and we’ll then likely need to sign a further 2 FBs

We don’t just have the two strikers though now. We’ve got Mara, Aribo and Stu Armstrong who are capable in the role.  What these guys don’t necessarily provide is the target man type of play, so that’s the type of player I would expect us to sign…perhaps Dembele?  Whatever, it seems that the rumour mill expectation is that we need to sell to gain the level of striker we want in.

47 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Definitely sounded like Ralph was talking about a specific player. Was thinking, if he is sure this player is joining why hasn’t it happened yet, your suggestion would make some sense.

Hopefully the player is as good as Ralph says we need, a difference maker in the box. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I very much assume the club would need to bring in anyone decent. The only people outside crown jewels I see that we might potentially get real money for is Adams or bednarek(& unfortunately it has gone completely quiet on bednarek)

I don't see the need 4 2 strikers if sign a quality first team striker. Our current problem isn't numbers it is quality. So a decent hardworking support striker like adams with mediocre finishing looks more prunable than the alternative.

1 hour ago, Smirking_Saint said:

He scored 7 goals last year and provided 3 assists in the prem

Conversely Broja had 6 goals and 0 assists

I somewhat agree that Broja may well have a higher ceiling, but this isnt FM and it certainly isn’t as guaranteed as many believe. Overall Che’s game is stronger than Broja, because when he isn’t converting chances he is harrying opposition, providing an outlet and general being a very good foil

So yes… I find it baffling… almost as baffling as saying Che’s career has ‘waned’ here which doesn’t really make sense but I see that’s been addressed by Psycrow

All I take from that is that Adams is better at feeding off scraps. It doesn't tell us which one is the better player. Watching us play gives is the answer to that, and it's clear to me that Broja is night and day a better player than Adams. 

9 minutes ago, Chez said:

I seem to recall many Saints fans on here calling for Broja to start ASAP (after those early cameos) because it was obvious he was better than what we had...and they were right. 

Sounds like Ralphs `motivational' words worked...and he seems to have taken the same line with Mara. Hopefully he gets a tune out of him too.

I think they did work, to a point, but he again went missing towards the end of the season

I do like Broja and I certainly wouldn’t mind him back but not at 30m… I think there is better out there for that, for instance Scamacca was around that price point and likely Sesko or Kalajdzic

Broja is good on the ball, strong and direct but Ill stand by what I said, when he wasn’t scoring he didn’t offer much else, he posted no assists and he didn’t have as good a workrate as Che and certainly wasn’t as good at holding up play… thats what I meant by it

1 hour ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

My view is that between them, Armstrong and Adams have been seen as a disappointment due to the fact that they were both high scoring strikers in the Championship that should have made the step up to the Prem with relative ease, but simply have not done so.

Yes Adams has more goals, but Armstrong has mobility and the option to play as a wide attacker which suits Ralphball better.  Adams probably fetches more money because of his goals and ability to be a target man for a club that plays to those strengths, so if a decent offer comes in and that adds to the funds available to buy Broja or one of the other decent strikers we’ve been linked to, it’s not going to be a bad bit of business. Rather sell Adams than KWP that’s for sure!

Mental, absolutely mental. 

People have such a warped perception of what a good return is for strikers playing for anyone outside the top 6. Getting above 10 is a very good season for a striker playing for a team like Saints. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I just have a feeling it's going to be kalajdzic. Assuming sesko goes to united then he's going to be running out of other options. 

I have a feeling it’ll be Delap or Broja tbh

Id be genuinely happy with any of them, but do very much like the overall feel of Kalajdzic

12 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I have a feeling it’ll be Delap or Broja tbh

Id be genuinely happy with any of them, but do very much like the overall feel of Kalajdzic

I'd like Kalajdzic as well good record with Stutgart but he might feel he could do better than swapping a 15th placed Bundesliga team for a 15th placed premier league team. 

Yes MLG i know the Bundesliga has 18 teams not 20 so not a direct like for like comparison but point remains the same.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3