Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

2 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

I'd be fuming if we sold Che and Tella / Armstrong stayed at the club

Agreed, the latter two aren’t good enough. 

They need to stop with this star boy nonsense for Tella too, done nothing to warrant it and he’s hardly that young. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Appy said:

Agreed, the latter two aren’t good enough. 

They need to stop with this star boy nonsense for Tella too, done nothing to warrant it and he’s hardly that young. 

WHO has called him 'star boy'.?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Sorry, no. Selling first team starters is not a good way to improved the squad as a whole

Adams is ok at best. If some team is will ing to pay 20m plus then I say sell, and if KWP attracts upwards of 40m, ditto. This is out model and for once in a long time I have the confidence that the owners and management know what they are doing. 

It's pretty clear whoever we manage to buy, even if it was 3 weeks ago, we are most likely to lose at Spurs so it's almost a free hit. Leeds is the start of our season in reality. 

But like I said, it all depends on who we bring in and how soon!!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, MarkSFC said:

Adams is ok at best. If some team is will ing to pay 20m plus then I say sell, and if KWP attracts upwards of 40m, ditto. This is out model and for once in a long time I have the confidence that the owners and management know what they are doing. 

It's pretty clear whoever we manage to buy, even if it was 3 weeks ago, we are most likely to lose at Spurs so it's almost a free hit. Leeds is the start of our season in reality. 

But like I said, it all depends on who we bring in and how soon!!!

Adams is a very good footballer, i really think he's not far off being a very good striker and could easily have a 12-15 goal a season striker in him. His all round play is great, he just needs a bit more compsure in front of goal. I'd be very disapointed if we sold him as we're a better team when he plays.

• Like 18

Just now, Turkish said:

Adams is a very good footballer, i really think he's not far off being a very good striker and could easily have a 12-15 goal a season striker in him. His all round play is great, he just needs a bit more compsure in front of goal. I'd be very disapointed if we sold him as we're a better team when he plays.

Happy to be proven wrong, but not convinced. Not convinced that RH sees it that way either which is sort of more important!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Tella, IMO, would benefit from a loan move.

Totally agree. He had a great pre-season last year, I thought it would be the season he broke through in the PL but it never happened, he had his worst season for us.

Needs a loan like you say, as he's stagnating here and if we're not careful he'll go the way of Gallagher/Reed/Sims etc. He also needs to work out his best position, personally I see him as a winger. Not a 10 or a striker.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ally_uk said:

If we sell Adams and KWP

So be it I trust the board and reckon we have some heavy hitters coming in 😉 

I already think we’ll be part of the relegation battling 6 or 7 teams, selling those two even with replacements brought in and I’d seriously question our club’s sanity. New players need time to settle etc and we’d be selling two of our best players. KWP is our only RB bar Valery (fit, and we don’t know if Tino will be the same player yet) and a better LB than Perraud and probably a better wing back than everyone so he’s basically irreplaceable, so unless the money is right I can’t see it happening. Adams I like, hard working, good passer, just needs more goals, isn’t irreplaceable but leaves us with Sekou and Armstrong which isn’t comforting.

However until it happens I’m not losing sleep. I do have confidence the club seems to know what they’re doing right now and I hope the building continues. 

• Like 2

I think Che would be valued a lot higher if we had a winger(s) who could actually score goals. It's no coincidence that some of his best link-up comes with Stu, but someone a bit quicker and the tenacity to go beyond (a la Raphinha, Ismalia Sarr) would really turn his hold-up play into a weapon.

8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Completely agree.  Anyone coming in will have the inherent risk associated with all new signings but particularly with strikers and Ralph will probably claim they need to time to adjust to our style of play and/or build up their fitness.  Getting rid of Che will mean two new strikers that might not function that well for a significant proportion of the season.   

2 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Completely agree.  Anyone coming in will have the inherent risk associated with all new signings but particularly with strikers and Ralph will probably claim they need to time to adjust to our style of play and/or build up their fitness.  Getting rid of Che will mean two new strikers that might not function that well for a significant proportion of the season.   

What if Broja came in...

1 minute ago, MarkSFC said:

What if Broja came in...

Yeah, fair enough, Broja is a known quantity.  Would then depend on who else we brought in as to whether we'd have a better squad overall.  Personally think that the money we could bring in for Adams isn't the amount he's currently worth to us (if that makes sense).

2 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

I quite like Che's contribution/attributes (though i don't think he's going to develop into someone prolific ever). Not sure he's among ralph's favourites though. Now is probably the peak point to sell him if we are open to doing so. Extra jeopardy though is idea of selling him to someone directly competing with us. Guess if it happens the club think with that money they can get an upgrade enabling them not having to bring in 2 strikers.

2 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Yeah, fair enough, Broja is a known quantity.  Would then depend on who else we brought in as to whether we'd have a better squad overall.  Personally think that the money we could bring in for Adams isn't the amount he's currently worth to us (if that makes sense).

I agree, it is all about WHO comes in, but in theory I'm in favour of selling Adams if it's more than 20m. I'd rather keep KWP but for more than 40m it does change the buying power significantly. 

As I'm reasonably excited by our signings so far (although I accept they won't all, if any hit their top form quickly) I'm confident we would be stronger overall. Our start sort of gives us a tiny bit of time in a funny way ro get players in and get going. 

We do need to see quite a few sales and purchases happen in the next week or 10 days though!!!

3 minutes ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

And it has all gone very quiet on the incoming transfer front. Despite the hype about us being quiet in our business, the players that join have always been on the rumour list prior to signing. 

Bella-Kotchap and Mara weren't to be fair.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

There is an element of some posters looking for this as a reason to bash Ralph, he made him unhappy by dropping him etc.

I think Ralph has coached him brilliantly, he wouldn't be in line for any of these moves if Ralph hadn't been a great coach for him. Adding left back to his list of positions has if anything increased his value, interest from other clubs and his recent England inclusions. 

I've seen one poster (without naming) on here refer to it as "lucky" that KWP has adapted to LWB whilst criticising Ralph for forcing the switch on him. Which i personally think is very biased, and I would agree with you that there does seem to be a real bias on here (at times) re Ralph and him not being given credit where its due. Conversely, I would say he's improved several players during his time here - Not least JWP and KWP.

Ultimately we're not sat here discussing a player's (who was superfluous to Tottenham) potential move to Chelsea for no reason. Similarly the improvement in JWP (and transfer links) are largely due to Ralph's coaching of him (which probably also saved his saints career).

This might not be popular but I'd rather Che was playing against us for a rival than for us. 

He scores the odd goal but really isn't much of a threat.  He used to be good at bringing others into play or playing through balls but I haven't seen that for a while.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

25 minutes ago, SonicBoom said:

This might not be popular but I'd rather Che was playing against us for a rival than for us. 

He scores the odd goal but really isn't much of a threat.  He used to be good at bringing others into play or playing through balls but I haven't seen that for a while.

I'd say the reason we haven't seen that for a while is because the quality has eroded around him. He was forming a decentish partnership with Broja, but there was something that never really clicked with those two. He was in his fore with Danny Ings, who used to run in behind which allowed Che to play the balls in behind.

We haven't had a player like Ings since he left, so he's not going to be seen as that effective. This isn't a slight on Che as he's decent, but without top quality alongside him he struggles. I know people laugh at the term 'Support Striker', but that's exactly what he is. If the quality he's supporting isn't great then he's equally not going to look great as he's never going to be prolific himself.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I'd say the reason we haven't seen that for a while is because the quality has eroded around him. He was forming a decentish partnership with Broja, but there was something that never really clicked with those two. He was in his fore with Danny Ings, who used to run in behind which allowed Che to play the balls in behind.

We haven't had a player like Ings since he left, so he's not going to be seen as that effective. This isn't a slight on Che as he's decent, but without top quality alongside him he struggles. I know people laugh at the term 'Support Striker', but that's exactly what he is. If the quality he's supporting isn't great then he's equally not going to look great as he's never going to be prolific himself.

Yeah fair comments. 

I'd still say if we were going to flog him I'd actually like us to sell him to rival team in the bottom half of the premier league. Obviously he could have one of those days but in general he's not that scary to play against and he's unlikely to suddenly start scoring 20 a season for someone else. 

2 hours ago, Manuel said:

Sure, I agree with most of this.  But I don't think most would disagree that KWP was probably not happy to be benched and then played out of position to allow an unproven RB to take his place, when he was arguably the one player within the squad who didn't need the competition at that time.  If he goes to Chelsea, ok perhaps it will all be "just about the money", and perhaps JWP is more pragmatic than I give him credit for, but I do wonder if he hadn't been messed around last season whether he'd be happier about his situation here. 

And yes, when Tino comes back from injury and IF he gets back to his best, what is KWP's future in the starting 11...out of position again or on the bench?  I don't blame him if he thinks he deserves to be starting PL games. 

Too much speculation. KWP is joint first on the team sheet, plays PL football every week, is in contention for a regular starting slot with the national team and no doubt earns a shed load of money even though other clubs might offer him more. Put to the test Saints surely would be able to find a few old five bob notes crumpled up at the back of the sofa to reward his loyalty.

Looking from the outside he comes across as a very decent bloke of superb character, the sort of lad you'd be proud to have as a son-in-law. If he is treated well by the club (as I am sure he is), why would he want away to a London club who might promise him the earth now but at the next managerial change (due soon) would hang him out to dry all over again. He had to endure all that crap at Spuds from that know-all Portuguese loud mouth so he's learned his trade the hard way and is unlikely to be gullible enough to have his head turned and swallow all that stuff again.

Mark my words, KWP won't be leaving us anytime soon.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Too much speculation. KWP is joint first on the team sheet, plays PL football every week, is in contention for a regular starting slot with the national team

Not really, he appears unlikely to even make the squad let alone the starting XI unless England have a lot of injuries for the World Cup.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

No he isn't he's mediocre at best and doesn't score many goals which his day job. That's all there is to it. He isn't intelligent enough to lead the line. One-on-one he misses every time and most of his attempts on goal are thoughtless power drives.

I suspect Ralph has had enough of him. Anything over £15m and he won't believe his luck.

• Confused 5

15 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

No he isn't he's mediocre at best and doesn't score many goals which his day job. That's all there is to it. He isn't intelligent enough to lead the line. One-on-one he misses every time and most of his attempts on goal are thoughtless power drives.

I suspect Ralph has had enough of him. Anything over £15m and he won't believe his luck.

You must be confusing him with Adam Armstrong

16 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Norwich away, Man United away, Tottenham away? All brilliantly taken goals.

Two years left on a contract seems to be very much the crossroads for players. The club kind of needs to make a decision on players. Do they extend or cash in on a player at the point of maximum return.

Che has two years left. If the choice was either to extend his contract today by an extra two years and up his wages to say £95k a week or sell for £23m. What would you do? 

Regarding KWP, if, for example he has turned down an extension this summer, do you sell for £43m or keep him another year and see that value go down as he enters the final year of his contract.

It's easy to say keep your best players, but from a financial point of view, if KWP's value goes down by say £15m, that's the money for his replacement removed from the cashflow. If you give Che that huge contract, do you really get value for it? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chez said:

Regarding KWP, if, for example he has turned down an extension this summer, do you sell for £43m or keep him another year and see that value go down as he enters the final year of his contract.

He has 3 years left on his contract, so keeping him this season does not see him enter the final year of his contract next summer.

3 minutes ago, ecurnew02 said:

2 more clubs 🤔

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

I wish. I don't think we'll be anywhere near this one, talk of £35m +. He's off to an elite club.

The way it may affect Saints is that Manchester United reportedly have Sesko and Saša Kalajdžić on their target list. So them getting Sesko may make it easier for Saints to get Kalajdžić .

• Like 1