Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

19 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

absolutely this! We are short of an imposing EXPERIENCED CB, an exciting attacking and creative winger and a real goal threat of a striker. 

19 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

absolutely this! We are short of an imposing EXPERIENCED CB, an exciting attacking and creative winger and a real goal threat of a striker. 

We aren’t finished yet. SR have invested a lot in this project do you think we are going in with an unfinished team and yet again I repeat they said they would cover every position.

look at the wealth of back room talent we have now. Dragan, Henrik, Rasmus, Semmens and of course Joe Davies. This isn’t just another random foreign takeover by some chancers.

fucking hell we are even buying other clubs to fit into our model. I swear to god it’s too complicated for some of the FIFA playing dimwits on here.

Edited by manji
  • Like 6
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 2

21 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Is there anyone who doesn't treat players differently depending on whether they like them or not?

It is human nature, but at the higher levels of management in any business  you do have to put personality to one side, often the greatest talents are much more difficult to manage and control. So it should be about best for the "business" otherwise you end up with a load of agreeable less talented "yes men". Lawrie Mac and Strachan were  two examples of managers who  got this right, I think maybe also Poch, and players were in awe of Ronald, I don't get that vibe from Ralph.

Edited by Toussaint
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

It is human nature, but at the higher levels of management in any business of life you do have to put personality to one side, often the greatest talents are much more difficult to manage and control. So it should be about best for the "business" otherwise you end up with a load of agreeable less talented "yes men". Lawrie Mac and Starchan were  two examples of managers who  got this right, I think maybe also Poch, and players were in awe of Ronald, I don't get that vibe from Ralph.

Well done for actually understanding the point. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, manji said:

We aren’t finished yet. SR have invested a lot in this project do you think we are going in with an unfinished team and yet again I repeat they said they would cover every position.

look at the wealth of back room talent we have now. Dragan, Henrik, Rasmus, Semmens and of course Joe Davies. This isn’t just another random foreign takeover by some chancers.

fucking hell we are even buying other clubs to fit into our model. I swear to god it’s too complicated for some of the FIFA playing dimwits on here.

Cheers Pep 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Turkish said:
  • 6. Oriol Romeu – 2023
  • 11. Nathan Redmond – 2023
  • 19. Moussa Djénépo – 2023
  • 24. Mohamed Elyounoussi – 2023
  • 32. Theo Walcott - 2023
  • 43. Yan Valery – 2023

And in the classic Southampton Way it wouldn't surprise me if we offered two year extensions to the likes of Romeu, Redmond, Elyounoussi and Valery. 🙄

As a club we need to be more ruthless when it comes to contract expiries and signing new players to replace ones that aren't good enough.
Someone touched on Lyanco signing last summer for example, weird all round and in no way an upgrade on Vestergaard.

Someone else also touched on how weak we look as a starting eleven and how bloated we look as a squad and I wouldn't disagree with that. If you're any opposing striker looking at our defence you must be proper excited to play us, even now, knowing that these signings are young and less experienced (whether that be in the Prem or in general).

Ignoring Valery who is a clear back up, and Rom who is still a great player but can’t play every week, the other 4 are all overpaid Att Mid who can neither score or assist at that level. As such nobody will buy them and as they only have a year left will just be hanging around. On the plus side that’ll free up a good £14m in wages for next year. Guess Djenepo will be an emergency wing back and Ely/Red can probably bully a lower div team we may meet in one of the cups. I’d hope SR would be savvy enough to have understood the only saleable assets we have are the ones we wouldn’t want to lose. 

23 hours ago, revolution saint said:

Next time think before you post FFS! I’m joking, sorry if it came across that way.

:)

no worries mate, decent of you to apologise, I realise how these messages can come across in the wrong way. Take it easy.  

Up the Saints

:)

• Like 1

It's pretty clear that Bednarek, Lyanco, Stephens, Djeneppo, Elyounoussi, and Redmond are not good enough and as such we won't get what you might want for them. I'd guess 4 of them will most go back abroad (which in itself reduces the price), whereas Stephens could do a job in tbe Championship. Redmond would probably be good enough for someone like Fulham or Bournemouth or High Championship team. 

I reckon we'd be lucky to get 25-30m for the lot.

Edited by MarkSFC

17 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

It's pretty clear that Bednarek, Lyanco, Stephens, Djeneppo, Elyounoussi, and Redmond are not good enough and as such we won't get what you might want for them. I'd guess 4 of them will most go back abroad (which in itself reduces the price), whereas Stephens could do a job in tbe Championship. Redmond would probably be good enough for someone like Fulham or Bournemouth or High Championship team. 

I don’t think Redmond would be anywhere near good enough for any premier league side, he’d still be coming up against premier league defences. He should be ok in the championship, as he’s done well in cup games against lesser opposition, but I doubt he’ll drop wages to go there, which is why will be lumbered until his contract expires.

1 hour ago, manji said:

you do understand i was just pointing out our starting 11 is in my opinion still at least 3 players short of the quality we need. Nowhere have i criticised our new owners and what they are doing. I'm very impressed in the back room talent we have and confident this is the start of a new an exciting era.

Never played FIFA in my life.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Turkish said:
  • 6. Oriol Romeu – 2023
  • 11. Nathan Redmond – 2023
  • 19. Moussa Djénépo – 2023
  • 24. Mohamed Elyounoussi – 2023
  • 32. Theo Walcott - 2023
  • 43. Yan Valery – 2023

Guess these are on the ones we'd sell if we could, all of them with a year left on their contracts. Not difficult to understand why we cant get rid of any of them. Only really Romeu and perhaps Redmond that you'd think would get into another premier league team.

Theo Walcott has been a big disappointment hasn't he. 

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

He was good at the Euro's

Good signing, typical wide/number 10 type. Not particularly quick I don't think, but very skilful. 

They're having a good window signing some highly rated young players. Hickey, Lewis-Potter and now potentially Damsgaard. 

Leicester seem to be in a bit of a mess.

They're selling Schmeichel, but Rodgers has come out and said the new first choice keeper will be one of their current backups - Iverson or Ward, they'll only go into the market for a third choice.

That's the narrative of a club on the trajectory of a long and drawn out death, as we all know too well.

Maddison will probably leave for the £50ishm fee too, talk of Dewsbury-Hall being seen as his replacement ''inside the club''. Not a happy place there atm.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Leicester seem to be in a bit of a mess.

They're selling Schmeichel, but Rodgers has come out and said the new first choice keeper will be one of their current backups - Iverson or Ward, they'll only go into the market for a third choice.

That's the narrative of a club on the trajectory of a long and drawn out death, as we all know too well.

Maddison will probably leave for the £50ishm fee too, talk of Dewsbury-Hall being seen as his replacement ''inside the club''. Not a happy place there atm.

To be Dewsbury-Hall looks a very good player but they are by all accounts skint, the fans are not happy with Rodgers and the lack of cash, good be they are in a downward spiral. Wonder if they have someone on their forum posting momentum curve charts…

Think I tried making a case for Damsgaard last year, looks like he's got 2 in his last 49 games since the Euros however so probably not kicked on as expected.

Dennis - Joao Pedro - Sarr front line for Watford tonight in their first Champ game. I'm not a huge Sarr fan but I think you could make a case that's stronger than ours!

1 minute ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Dennis - Joao Pedro - Sarr front line for Watford tonight in their first Champ game. I'm not a huge Sarr fan but I think you could make a case that's stronger than ours!

No debating that imo. That's a stronger front 3 than we have. 

• Like 2

Just now, Turkish said:

To be Dewsbury-Hall looks a very good player but they are by all accounts skint, the fans are not happy with Rodgers and the lack of cash, good be they are in a downward spiral. Wonder if they have someone on their forum posting momentum curve charts…

They hit the infamous glass ceiling. To be in and around the CL places for so many years (and winning the actual league) is much more than Leicester fans should realistically expect to be honest, they were caught on a bit of a ride but last season was a return to more of their norm rather than a huge underachievement.

I know their fans are jumping up and down demanding changes, but I'm not sure where else they can go now without Saudi style investment. They did well to sustain it for as long as they did, and they'll have memories that most fans will never have.

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

£270m in debt and that's with all the Prem prize money, CL money and huge transfer fees for players like Maguire. Football clubs are bottomless money pits.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, MarkSFC said:

Isn't the club currently negotiating with Eli on a new contract?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Chez said:

£270m in debt and that's with all the Prem prize money, CL money and huge transfer fees for players like Maguire. Football clubs are bottomless money pits.

Wow didn’t realise it was that. They’ve not spent silly money on players but I guess they could well be doing a Leeds now, shame to see as they are, in terms of size, as close to us as you can get. 

• Like 1

Leicester is odd, in that if you look on twitter only a few months back there is loads of stuff about them being a "debt-free" club.

It's nonsense of course - it's all being covered by the Thai family but it's still debt and in the world of Financial Fair Play they clearly can't spend any more. They are expanding the stadium as well so that might also be holding them back as it did for Arsenal a few years ago.

Will be lovely to see them down a peg or two.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Leicester is odd, in that if you look on twitter only a few months back there is loads of stuff about them being a "debt-free" club.

It's nonsense of course - it's all being covered by the Thai family but it's still debt and in the world of Financial Fair Play they clearly can't spend any more. They are expanding the stadium as well so that might also be holding them back as it did for Arsenal a few years ago.

Why lovely? Do you wish ill on other clubs

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Could be Doyle pro deal. Think he is 17 sometime about now so able to sign a professional contract.

17 today so hopefully we've tied him down to a pro deal to stop him walking. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Just had a quick google of that as I wondered where they were with it, looks like planning permission got stalled and they’re still waiting for a green light. The whole development includes a hotel and an apartment block on the site, I’m wondering if Leicesters cash situation has anything go with that (probably not but the owners could be holding off I suppose).

I think Rodgers could be one to leave the club this season. But he’s the kind of person where he’ll have them in 14th place, resign just before he gets pushed and still land a cushy job afterwards.

Maybe Spurs after Conté inevitably implodes as he always does midway through his second season. 🤣

3 hours ago, JRM said:

Theo Walcott has been a big disappointment hasn't he. 

Only if you had any expectations of him when he signed. He's been pretty much what I thought he'd be so my only disappointment was that our management contrived to give him such a huge contract.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

I'd be tempted to give Doyle, Ballard and Edwards a run out against some lesser opposition 👍 

It's one of those situations where you crave a really shit team in the Carabao 2nd round (Pompey) to give the youngsters an easy run out, then we get someone like (thinking of who isn't in a European competition) Newcastle or Villa,  who may think they're in with a shot of winning it this season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

Just had a quick google of that as I wondered where they were with it, looks like planning permission got stalled and they’re still waiting for a green light. The whole development includes a hotel and an apartment block on the site, I’m wondering if Leicesters cash situation has anything go with that (probably not but the owners could be holding off I suppose).

Think they have just completed the last phase of their new £100m state-of-the-art training complex. 

£60m spent last year on transfers with pretty much nothing back in.

King Power's turnover and profits fell like a stone during COVID.

20 minutes ago, Dellman said:

We don't know his value behind the scenes, maybe its greater than we know, he seems a regular guy and a Southampton enthusiast, possibly he has a long term future with us

I don't like seeing Walcott given stick on here. Him signing a pro contract for us and ensuring we got £10m from Arsenal made a huge difference to our finances, and I will always respect him for that. He may well be valuable behind the scenes too, however, unless Prem players are doing it on the pitch, I don't see how we can possibly be getting value for money from them, no matter what they do off it. £75k a week can only be recouped by on field displays, not words of encouragement in the dressing room. We pay our manager and his staff to do that...and Ralph's staff get paid a shed load less than £75k a week, that's for sure.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Wow didn’t realise it was that. They’ve not spent silly money on players but I guess they could well be doing a Leeds now, shame to see as they are, in terms of size, as close to us as you can get. 

New training ground, covid losses and only outgoing transfer fees last summer. If they stay in the Prem, there won't be an issue as everything will be budgeted for. Go down and everything changes. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chez said:

New training ground, covid losses and only outgoing transfer fees last summer. If they stay in the Prem, there won't be an issue as everything will be budgeted for. Go down and everything changes. 

Think two thirds of it is owner debt, which makes a difference.

8 hours ago, saintant said:

Only if you had any expectations of him when he signed. He's been pretty much what I thought he'd be so my only disappointment was that our management contrived to give him such a huge contract.

I didn’t want us to sign him, but he did show some signs he would be useful. Then it seems his legs just went, he may still be fast, but it’s the instant burst from a standing position that has gone, and that’s what players like him rely on. I recall the game i first became aware of it, Romeu played a lovely ball to his feet with his back to goal, all Theo had to do was move towards it and he just couldn’t. That now happens every time he plays. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chez said:

And the Europa league, we suffered the after effects of that for years, bloating the squad with averageness to cover the amount of games. West Ham suffered as well. (On the pitch) 

10 hours ago, CB Fry said:

There is a big difference between Leeds and Leicester in that Leeds actually won nothing despite their spending. Leicester have achieved a league title and an FA Cup win that they will remember for ever.