Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

Chelsea have agreed a deal to sign Carney Chukwuemeka from Aston Villa. Speaking to the club website, the midfielder said: “It’s always been my dream to play for Vitesse Arnhem on loan, and now I’m one step closer to finally making it happen.”

• Haha 10

16 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Didn't we do exactly that though?

Boufal, Lemina, Carillo, Hoedt, Elyounoussi, Osvaldo

Easily over £100m on that lot and a hell of a lot on wages too! All clubs make mistakes in the market, I'm fairy sure at least one of our signings this summer will end up being a mistake, but the good ones need to ballance that out. We had about 3 windows in a row of pretty much bad transfers, Leicester are on a similar trajectory now and have got themselves into a bit of a mess with FFP and other financial bits.

Previously though they managed to sign Tilliemans, Fofana, Castange, Justin, Maddison, Evans, Perreria, Ndidi, Maguire etc etc. They certainly had a few windows of making some massive signings who contributed positivly, much like we did with Tadic, Mane, VVD etc.

wasn't having a pop at you Clarky :toppa: - i just remember the woe is me posters on here - giving it the big one about Leicester and how good their transfer policy / buying was, and why cant we be like them

We are 😋😐

@Matthew Le God i dont know 🤷‍♂️ i stole it from elsewhere 😉

Edited by le_tiss

5 minutes ago, le_tiss said:

wasn't having a pop at you Clarky :toppa: - just remember the woe is me posters on here - giving it the big one about Leicester and how good their transfer policy / buying was 

Lots of those sorts of posters on here! I did like Leicester's approach a few years ago though, much like our approach. But it really does show what a couple of poor windows does to clubs of our size/Leicester size. We can't fix the mistakes like a lot of the bigger clubs, so when it goes wrong for a couple of windows it hurts bad.

Transfer windows are weird, there are often fans who envy every club's signings but actually ignore the fact that their own club has been pretty active! I remember some fans wishing we were Norwich, I think it was the window they'd signed Ricky Van Wolfsinkel - but they were relegated, so I certainly didn't wish I was Norwich! Whereas we were busy signing Mane, Tadic, Toby, Pelle, Bertrand etc that same window. Football fans are weird.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Little point Saints building up the squad with some youth/quality to then decimate that quality with a last minute sale of our best players. If they think this is a good idea and are seriously considering it, then SR deserve relegation and loss of investment as a result. Sell players yes, but only when a head of steam has been built up.

Unless Ralph's trying to do a fergie, Hassenhutl's Hatchlings 🤣

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Hopefully like others have said he won't be interested in playing back up to James. Can't see James being played permanently at CB, he would be wasted there. Pretty sure Chelsea will get a CB in from somewhere. 

James ain't playing CB. Also, he's injured a fair bit. Azpilicueta played over a dozen Prem games at rb/wing back last season, so they could easily time share.

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

Why is that not including the full fee with add ons like some of the others on the list? Total for Saints is £58.5m when those are included. 

Have SFC confirmed the specific fees and add ons for each player we have signed this summer?

4 hours ago, Manuel said:

Remember though, he was back up here for a while when Tino was favoured, and KWP was one of our best performers at that time.  I wouldn't be surprised if he was annoyed about it and feels uncertain about his position in Saints first 11 this season.  

if he was annoyed, boy did he hide it well. Spent all season season smiling.

Why would he feel uncertain about his position in the first 11 this season? He seems to be first choice right AND left back.

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Signing keeper Eddie Beech from Saints is probably a filler signing for the under 21s whilst new signing is out on loan at his previous club. They haven't spent the huge money on Slonina for him to be behind fellow teenager Beech in the pecking order...

Seriously hot prospect by all accounts. Shame we couldn't have got him (if the rumours we were even in for him were true). Apparently Chris Brady (also at fire) is meant to be mustard as well.

I think if we could swap broja for kwp I would take that deal.. we need a striker he is one we have been interested in and tbh we prob wouldn’t go as high as the asking price.

it’s all in theory but that we could get a 30m rated striker and invest a bit cheaper say 10-15 in a kwp replavemenr and still have tino to come back.. prob won’t happen but I think would be a decent deal 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

I think if we could swap broja for kwp I would take that deal.. we need a striker he is one we have been interested in and tbh we prob wouldn’t go as high as the asking price.

Swap him? No chance. Whilst i see your broader point, swapping him is like saying Broja is a £40M-£50M player - which is how much i'd be asking for KWP. KWP has been a contender for player of the season the past 2 years and is not somewhere we should be looking to sell unless its for silly money.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Chez said:

Why would he feel uncertain about his position in the first 11 this season? He seems to be first choice right AND left back.

Perhaps dependent on Tino's recovery.  Tino was favoured by Ralph in the very position KWP was arguably one of the best in the PL in that position at that time.  OK, fortunately KWP also proved himself very well on on the left, even above Perraud.  Good on him, bet he was pissed off though.  Who under those circumstances would blame him being tempted by a club that would play him double to play in his preferred position.  We've made a mess of this and may end up with no KWP and a crocked Tino.  Happy to be proved wrong.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

42 minutes ago, Chez said:

Yep. People are assuming that KWP was pissed off he got shifted to LB. He played well there, and was arguably more effective than at RB - I'd rather see a run infield and a through ball or shot than a cross to nobody in particular. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Swap him? No chance. Whilst i see your broader point, swapping him is like saying Broja is a £40M-£50M player - which is how much i'd be asking for KWP. KWP has been a contender for player of the season the past 2 years and is not somewhere we should be looking to sell unless its for silly money.

Don't disagree with your valuation on what KWP might be worth to us but I suspect the valuation by the two clubs are probably a bit closer, £30-35m.

46 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

it’s all in theory but that we could get a 30m rated striker and invest a bit cheaper say 10-15 in a kwp replavemenr and still have tino to come back.. prob won’t happen but I think would be a decent deal 

Pedersen was suggested at c £8m.

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Signing keeper Eddie Beech from Saints is probably a filler signing for the under 21s whilst new signing is out on loan at his previous club. They haven't spent the huge money on Slonina for him to be behind fellow teenager Beech in the pecking order...

Who cares 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Manuel said:

Perhaps dependent on Tino's recovery.  Tino was favoured by Ralph in the very position KWP was arguably one of the best in the PL in that position at that time.  OK, fortunately KWP also proved himself very well on on the left, even above Perraud.  Good on him, bet he was pissed off though.  Who under those circumstances would blame him being tempted by a club that would play him double to play in his preferred position.  We've made a mess of this and may end up with no KWP and a crocked Tino.  Happy to be proved wrong.

Livramento ain't better than jwp, but Perraud is limited, so KWP gets picked there. Buy a top left back and KWP would start at right back this season. KWP isn't concerned about his position in the first eleven. 

He won't be leaving because Livramento was selected ahead of him in the first few games last season. He will leave because there are bigger club's than us offering more money, trophies and prestige.

• Like 5

Brighton are pretty good at resisting, and then getting decent cash for their players if they have to go. Must say getting a mite worried about our lack of striker and possibility of late disappointing exits. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DT said:

Must say getting a mite worried about our lack of striker and possibility of late disappointing exits. Fingers crossed.

Agree. Have this horrible feeling that the club will revert to type…miss out on key strikers because we need to sell the Crown Jewels to pay for said target(s) in a last minute rush, with the collective quality of the squad not improving as a result. This season is not the time to be selling KWP IMO.

37 minutes ago, DT said:

Brighton are pretty good at resisting, and then getting decent cash for their players if they have to go. Must say getting a mite worried about our lack of striker and possibility of late disappointing exits. Fingers crossed.

I guess if an eternal optimist like you is a mite worried then maybe it's time for all of us to be concerned....

• Haha 6

I don't get this persistent nonsense that keeps cropping up from people about KWP being unhappy because he played left back, there are several quotes of him saying he's enjoyed it and he played there for Spurs, PLUS he literally got into the England team because of it and that versatility gives him a greater shout of making the World Cup squad. 

IF he leaves and it's a big IF IMO, then it will be because a bigger club offers him more money and more chances for trophies etc. but likely only if they meet our high valuation and highly doubt he is going to agitate a move to Chelsea to be a back up full back. I am not saying he wouldn't go if we accepted a bid, but at the same time I don't see him making a fuss about if we reject bids. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Agree. Have this horrible feeling that the club will revert to type…miss out on key strikers because we need to sell the Crown Jewels to pay for said target(s) in a last minute rush, with the collective quality of the squad not improving as a result. This season is not the time to be selling KWP IMO.

Agree with this- no point buying for the future if your not good enough in the hear and now (only time will tell on this but personally I don't think we are). 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

These rumours just won't go away which to me suggests buying clubs are being offered encouragement from the player's side. If Saints are aware of/anticipating a possible sale, it could also explain why Arma has been featuring more heavily in pre-season as the lone striker, despite Adams being far better suited to the role. I really do hope we resist any offers for Adams as we're already light up top and for me, he's our best all-round striker and massively underrated by a number of fans on here.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Livramento ain't better than jwp, but Perraud is limited, so KWP gets picked there. Buy a top left back and KWP would start at right back this season. KWP isn't concerned about his position in the first eleven. 

He won't be leaving because Livramento was selected ahead of him in the first few games last season. He will leave because there are bigger club's than us offering more money, trophies and prestige.

Sure, I agree with most of this.  But I don't think most would disagree that KWP was probably not happy to be benched and then played out of position to allow an unproven RB to take his place, when he was arguably the one player within the squad who didn't need the competition at that time.  If he goes to Chelsea, ok perhaps it will all be "just about the money", and perhaps JWP is more pragmatic than I give him credit for, but I do wonder if he hadn't been messed around last season whether he'd be happier about his situation here. 

And yes, when Tino comes back from injury and IF he gets back to his best, what is KWP's future in the starting 11...out of position again or on the bench?  I don't blame him if he thinks he deserves to be starting PL games. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Bailey said:

These rumours just won't go away which to me suggests buying clubs are being offered encouragement from the player's side. If Saints are aware of/anticipating a possible sale, it could also explain why Arma has been featuring more heavily in pre-season as the lone striker, despite Adams being far better suited to the role. I really do hope we resist any offers for Adams as we're already light up top and for me, he's our best all-round striker and massively underrated by a number of fans on here.

This is the bit that makes me think there is something in it, he hasn’t had many minutes in pre season and he is the best option we have as a lone striker.

clearly this is a chance of happening, personally I wouldn’t be getting rid of him but Ralph has funny ideas sometimes

Che obviously wants to be first choice here, my hunch is that the club are pushing for a new striker which will in fact demote him down the pecking order, so he's looking for options and the agents are busy at work.

You don't sell him until we have that new striker though, as that leaves us with nothing.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MAY-Z said:

This is the bit that makes me think there is something in it, he hasn’t had many minutes in pre season and he is the best option we have as a lone striker.

clearly this is a chance of happening, personally I wouldn’t be getting rid of him but Ralph has funny ideas sometimes

Brentford had a pretty good record picking up and developing strikers, so maybe Rasmus/SR are confident we can recruit a couple better than Che?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

I don't get this persistent nonsense that keeps cropping up from people about KWP being unhappy because he played left back, there are several quotes of him saying he's enjoyed it and he played there for Spurs, PLUS he literally got into the England team because of it and that versatility gives him a greater shout of making the World Cup squad. 

IF he leaves and it's a big IF IMO, then it will be because a bigger club offers him more money and more chances for trophies etc. but likely only if they meet our high valuation and highly doubt he is going to agitate a move to Chelsea to be a back up full back. I am not saying he wouldn't go if we accepted a bid, but at the same time I don't see him making a fuss about if we reject bids. 

If i were KWP in a world cup year, i wouldn't be going anywhere unless it offered first team football. His best chance of making the england squad is probably playing LWB at saints... that may not happen due to the other injuries, but he'll still be playing regularly and hopefully shining at saints. Equally he knows if he doesn't sign a new contract he'll likely be able to exit next summer. So i think its unlikely he'll be leaving for anywhere without first team football being offered.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

There is an element of some posters looking for this as a reason to bash Ralph, he made him unhappy by dropping him etc.

I think Ralph has coached him brilliantly, he wouldn't be in line for any of these moves if Ralph hadn't been a great coach for him. Adding left back to his list of positions has if anything increased his value, interest from other clubs and his recent England inclusions. 

• Like 14

25 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Che obviously wants to be first choice here, my hunch is that the club are pushing for a new striker which will in fact demote him down the pecking order, so he's looking for options and the agents are busy at work.

You don't sell him until we have that new striker though, as that leaves us with nothing.

Would be a bit of a concern if we allowed him to go to a potential rival in the bottom 8 or so. I know that's kind of his level of club, but still doesn't sit right that we should be doing that. Unless of course we have someone lined up that would instantly improve the forward line.

53 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I d be inclined to sell as we have 2 replacements lined up.

Che is never going to be a top 10 club striker, if we have ambitions to get there, we need better

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Che is never going to be a top 10 club striker, if we have ambitions to get there, we need better

We do? Who?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Can we not have a 'top 10' striker and Che? He has more than proven his worth since signing and although hes unlikely to hit 15+ goals in a season, he will chip in with 7-10 a season and brings important hold up play to our team