Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

2 hours ago, miserableoldgit said:

Is Farehamsaintjames an ITK? He always seems quite definite on things. Part of the new breed of ITKs?😁

Honestly nope. Or maybe I am… 👀

But in all honesty I’m not ITK at all. I just think there needs to be an element of realism and common sense with all this.

All are on long term contracts, I wouldn’t class any of them as fringe players, and SR have made very clear that they’re looking to build on the squad and clear out the deadwood only.
JWP and KWP are probably our two best players. Che Adams is our best striker, and actually I think is really underrated. Yes he should probably score a few more but I’d argue he does a lot more for the team than people realise.
Why would you sell off your best assets if you don’t need to?

Unfortunately some people on here want to throw their toys out the pram and make a fuss over nothing in regards to transfer rumours. I just find it quite funny now. 🙄🤣

Also there is more to life than football. 👍🏻

Edited by FarehamSaintJames
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, manji said:

Again Sports Republic have achieved a great job bulking up the team with talent not to mention a superb backstage team. I cannot see them leave the last part of the jigsaw missing.

I don't think a striker is the last part of the jigsaw, though. I hope it isn't viewed that way, in any case.

Who's creating the quality chances for them? We've still got the same rubbish, plus some guy from Scotland with worse goals-and-assists per game numbers up there than Elyounoussi managed - and he's shite.

How have we solved a calamitous defence that shipped 135 goals in the last two seasons? And what's going on at full back?

We've added bulk to the squad, for sure, but have been operating in the transfer market like a club established in the top 8 trying to build an exciting team for the future to take us to the next level, when we're actually a side on a relegation path that desperately needed big improvements to the first XI that haven't happened.

Yet.

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

48 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Mental, absolutely mental. 

People have such a warped perception of what a good return is for strikers playing for anyone outside the top 6. Getting above 10 is a very good season for a striker playing for a team like Saints. 

Don’t disagree.  As I’ve said, Che may have scored enough to make him a worthwhile striker to keep hold of, but if between him and Armstrong he’s the only striker we’ve received a decent offer for AND if funds are needed to obtain a striker who fits the squad makeup better, well for a ‘selling club’ on a limited budget he could well be a likely candidate.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Don’t disagree.  As I’ve said, Che may have scored enough to make him a worthwhile striker to keep hold of, but if between him and Armstrong he’s the only striker we’ve received a decent offer for AND if funds are needed to obtain a striker who fits the squad makeup better, well for a ‘selling club’ on a limited budget he could well be a likely candidate.

Just to be clear, you're suggesting we could sell Adams and add the amount we receive to the amount already put aside to buy one striker (leaving us with three recognised strikers - new guy, A. Armstrong, Mara).  Or, are you saying sell Adams and buy two players leaving us with 4 recognised strikers? 

Appreciate you're only guessing rather than saying what we should do but trying to follow your logic.

16 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

I don't think a striker is the last part of the jigsaw, though. I hope it isn't viewed that way, in any case.

Who's creating the quality chances for them? We've still got the same rubbish, plus some guy from Scotland with worse goals-and-assists per game numbers up there than Elyounoussi managed - and he's shite.

How have we solved a calamitous defence that shipped 135 goals in the last two seasons? And what's going on at full back?

We've added bulk to the squad, for sure, but have been operating in the transfer market like a club established in the top 8 trying to build an exciting team for the future to take us to the next level, when we're actually a side on a relegation path that desperately needed big improvements to the first XI that haven't happened.

Yet.

That's the kind of post I want to disagree with, but can't. I've said the same about Aribo - he's done less in Scotland than Ely did so we need some perspective about him. That said, numbers only tell part of the story and I like the look of him. 

Like you I'm not persuaded that the defence has improved, and the full back situation is a bit of a mess. Going into the season with Djenepo at wing back is crazy. 

54 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Saints won’t sell to a Premier League rival that you’d call being around us in the table. And he isn’t good enough for too eight or so. 😅

With respect mate, you don't have a clue what Saints will or won’t do.

Edited by revolution saint
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I think they did work, to a point, but he again went missing towards the end of the season

I do like Broja and I certainly wouldn’t mind him back but not at 30m… I think there is better out there for that, for instance Scamacca was around that price point and likely Sesko or Kalajdzic

Broja is good on the ball, strong and direct but Ill stand by what I said, when he wasn’t scoring he didn’t offer much else, he posted no assists and he didn’t have as good a workrate as Che and certainly wasn’t as good at holding up play… thats what I meant by it

You are preaching to choir when it comes to Scamacca. Would have been the perfect striker for us. Alas, West Ham are far more attractive than Saints right now.

Would be interested to know the miles run by all our forwards, and number of sprints (ad their distance) etc. I don't think Che works harder than Broja but I might be wrong. I don't see Che running the channel, playing on the shoulder, busting a gut to charge the keeper down. He hold the ball up well. That takes effort, but is it workrate?

I've read so many times about Broja going missing during the run in, but what about Che? Did he create lots or score lots?  Didn't he go missing? Who didn't go missing in the run in? The whole team was woeful, but I don't see "Stuart Armstrong went missing" or "JWP...:only Broja gets that description. 

Would you swap Che for Broja?

19 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Saints won’t sell to a Premier League rival that you’d call being around us in the table. And he isn’t good enough for too eight or so. 😅

Tough for us to pick a rival around us in the table. When RalphBall works we're towards the top end. When it doesn't, we're towards the bottom. Nearly everyone gets a shot at being around us in the table. 🙂

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Yet.

To be fair, if the stats are to be believed we were not too bad at creating big chances 44 (11th) and we missed more than most 42 (7th), number of shots and shots on target not any worse than average. According to one site JWP created 71 chances and got 5 assists.

Maybe if Broja wasn’t strolling about with a face like a smacked arse for the last half of the season our goal stats might have been better as well?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Like Ings to Villa?

Different situation, Ings had a year left on his contract. And let's be honest, £30m was a good deal, considering Villa weren't that much better than us come the final standings.

Edited by Pamplemousse

34 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Just to be clear, you're suggesting we could sell Adams and add the amount we receive to the amount already put aside to buy one striker (leaving us with three recognised strikers - new guy, A. Armstrong, Mara).  Or, are you saying sell Adams and buy two players leaving us with 4 recognised strikers? 

Appreciate you're only guessing rather than saying what we should do but trying to follow your logic.

Not the op but Having a higher first choice striker of 3 recognized strikers plus the additional versatile players Ralph likes to use there seems preferable to 4 depth of less quality

8 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Maybe if Broja wasn’t strolling about with a face like a smacked arse for the last half of the season our goal stats might have been better as well?

Did you actually watch us play? Broja was given little service, and often little support. I'd look pissed off in that situation, wouldn't you? 

2 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Not the op but Having a higher first choice striker of 3 recognized strikers plus the additional versatile players Ralph likes to use there seems preferable to 4 depth of less quality

Yeah, it’s not something I would agree with. The versatile players such as Aribo and S. Armstrong would still be an option anyway so that’s moot. Having just three strikers for a complete season is a big risk especially when one of those scored just two goals for all of last season. If we’re saying Saints sign, for example, Broja but to do so need to sell Adams and have one less striker then that puts us in a worse position than last season when we had both. If it’s not Broja then it’s an even bigger risk on a player who may or may not work out at the expense of a player who, whilst not the prolific striker we all want, is decent enough and you would expect to contribute a reasonable number of goals.

Just now, egg said:

Surprised by that. Can't see why Chelsea need him with Alonso and Chilwell. 

Alonso going to head off to Barca I think. He's also got a decent amount of games at Brighton at LCB.

Doesn't look the prettiest outlay/buy-back for Brighton that, would be a bit miffed.

3 hours ago, davefizzy14 said:

Hopefully its Dembele or Kalajdzic.

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I just have a feeling it's going to be kalajdzic. Assuming sesko goes to united then he's going to be running out of other options. 

2 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I have a feeling it’ll be Delap or Broja tbh

Id be genuinely happy with any of them, but do very much like the overall feel of Kalajdzic

So four strikers at least have been mentioned and a range of opinions and hopes about who we will actually sign. Personally it feels to me that both Broja and Delap are unlikely - especially Delap - as their clubs seem to want to keep them. On the other hand I think I am right in saying that both Dembele and Kalajdzic have both said things which seem to rule themselves out of coming to Saints. I would say the most likely seems to be Kalajdzic followed by Broja, yet there is a lot of competition for both.

I wonder, however, if the player we actually sign will be someone other than any of those four. It would not be the first time that news suddenly surfaces about saints signing a player that has not previously been mentioned. I've no ideas who it could be though and, before anyone says it again, I doubt it will be Ings!

51 minutes ago, Chez said:

You are preaching to choir when it comes to Scamacca. Would have been the perfect striker for us. Alas, West Ham are far more attractive than Saints right now.

Would be interested to know the miles run by all our forwards, and number of sprints (ad their distance) etc. I don't think Che works harder than Broja but I might be wrong. I don't see Che running the channel, playing on the shoulder, busting a gut to charge the keeper down. He hold the ball up well. That takes effort, but is it workrate?

I've read so many times about Broja going missing during the run in, but what about Che? Did he create lots or score lots?  Didn't he go missing? Who didn't go missing in the run in? The whole team was woeful, but I don't see "Stuart Armstrong went missing" or "JWP...:only Broja gets that description. 

To put it simply, from watching, Che looked as though he was still busting a gut where as Broja looked like he couldn’t be arsed

As for Broja swapping with Che… as on RIGHT NOW, not taking into account any potential then no, I think it majes us overall weaker

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Appy said:

Talk is Alonso is on his way to Barcelona, I hear they’re flush with cash. 

7 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Alonso going to head off to Barca I think. He's also got a decent amount of games at Brighton at LCB.

Doesn't look the prettiest outlay/buy-back for Brighton that, would be a bit miffed.

Cheers, hadn't realised the Barca link. Unreal the amount of cash they're spending.

On the buyback, of they're willing to sell back for a lower price than others they may get more options than other clubs. Could be a good move in fairness. 

4 hours ago, Dusic said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/story-telling/11700/12663553/ralph-hasenhuttl-exclusive-interview-southampton-manager-on-clubs-fresh-start

Good interview with Ralph in which he correctly identifies that our best spell last season was when Broja was on fire and he says we need to find a striker who makes a difference in the final third.

Certainly sounds like whoever comes in will be a major signing.

Broja still not moved anywhere...still maintain if its affordable he should be the #1 target. Will be very interesting to see if he features in Chelsea's first few games.

Offer is still on the table as far as I know. 

1 hour ago, Chez said:

I mean, we had both last year and we still scored the least amount of goals in a season that Ralphs been here (and Che also scored more than him). If the price is £30m+ as West Hams bid would suggest then we'd have to spend that plus whatever it took to replace Adams (minus his fee) just to cover both spots. Seems an awfully big risk when we're 3 days away from the first league game already and no concrete leads on a new striker. I'd rather any of the other forwards go before Che and he can be a bench option if we do sign a better striker to start games (though ideally if we went 2 up front he could play with them).

4 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Offer is still on the table as far as I know.

Any idea on what sort of offer? Would we be looking for a permanent deal and if so are we looking the same sort of price range as the West Ham offer? If a loan have Chelsea actually made any noises that they might entertain the idea as recent signs suggest they'd rather keep him for themselves this season. Even if they didn't I imagine other teams would also be interested - I believe Everton and Newcastle have both been linked at points and I did read a suggestion from a Newcastle fan elsewhere suggesting the club would be willing to wait until late in the window to finalise any deal which might leave us with a dilemma if we still haven't signed someone and the window is nearing a close.

15 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Jeez. Goes to show what one season in the Championship on loan can do to a pricetag. £20-25m is alot for a player that never played a game at Chelsea 

I genuinely think this is why Man City want Delap to go to a championship team.  He scores 15+ goals in an inferior league and his value will likely be £30+m next summer

13 minutes ago, Diabolus Ex Machina said:

I mean, we had both last year and we still scored the least amount of goals in a season that Ralphs been here (and Che also scored more than him). If the price is £30m+ as West Hams bid would suggest then we'd have to spend that plus whatever it took to replace Adams (minus his fee) just to cover both spots. Seems an awfully big risk when we're 3 days away from the first league game already and no concrete leads on a new striker. I'd rather any of the other forwards go before Che and he can be a bench option if we do sign a better striker to start games (though ideally if we went 2 up front he could play with them).

Any idea on what sort of offer? Would we be looking for a permanent deal and if so are we looking the same sort of price range as the West Ham offer? If a loan have Chelsea actually made any noises that they might entertain the idea as recent signs suggest they'd rather keep him for themselves this season. Even if they didn't I imagine other teams would also be interested - I believe Everton and Newcastle have both been linked at points and I did read a suggestion from a Newcastle fan elsewhere suggesting the club would be willing to wait until late in the window to finalise any deal which might leave us with a dilemma if we still haven't signed someone and the window is nearing a close.

All I’ve been told is that we have had a record bid on the table since the end of the season. Chelsea used other clubs to push price up. Can’t see them letting Broja, Werner and Lukaku all leave in this window, unless they bring in 2 strikers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint Garrett said:

All I’ve been told is that we have had a record bid on the table since the end of the season. Chelsea used other clubs to push price up. Can’t see them letting Broja, Werner and Lukaku all leave in this window, unless they bring in 2 strikers.

Only a matter of time until Chelsea change their FM Search filter to 'Striker'.

• Haha 1

Without selling any of our CBs no chance we could have really gone for Colwill - we have already spent £50m without selling anyone and obviously still want to sign a striker.

Good signing for Brighton though, and they are in a good cycle considering they will have generated £125m from White, Cucurella and Bissouma at an outlay of about 25m. Thats what we need to start doing.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Not sure what the point of that statement is, it's obvious he will be a Chelsea player very soon.

Quite. Posturing that will piss off some of their fans when he is in a jolly little welcome-to-Chelsea video thing in three days time.