Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

59 minutes ago, trousers said:

My wife is not for sale. But offer me £1bn and I might consider it. 

#notreallyadifficultconcepttograspunlessyoureabitdim

I take £50 and if they take the mother in law i'd give them £50

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Not sure why anyone would take this account seriously,called "LOL". 

"Deal in negotiation until January 2026" ?? - Does this mean we'll be negotiating until then with a view to him joining in about 3and half years time ? If not, pretty silly to see the contract end mid-season.

Should re-title the account "fuck-wits on the web".

It wasn't called 'LOL' yesterday, it was called Fabrizo Romanos (note the S on the end). Really sad that people do that tbh.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Is he not starting at Wolves? Strange, he's a really good centre back

I think they're looking to move to a 4 and signed Collins. Think he's shown enough at Wolves/England to think he'd do a good job here for a year steadying the ship alongside the youth.

• Like 4

Colwill seemingly only going to Brighton on loan.

Don't think it matters for us as if he is good then either Chelsea will keep him or he would be out of our budget anyway.

Get the feeling after Broja that we aren't keen on loans without an option.

Edited by Dusic

25 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Don't think it matters for us as if he is good then either Chelsea will keep him or he would be out of our budget anyway.

Mental that Chelsea have basically given Brighton £10m to not sell them Colwill. They must think big things of him, £62m for Cucarella is absolutely bonkers, especially given they have 3 LBs already. 

1 minute ago, Saint Garrett said:

Mental that Chelsea have basically given Brighton £10m to not sell them Colwill. They must think big things of him, £62m for Cucarella is absolutely bonkers, especially given they have 3 LBs already. 

Makes the reported £30m valuation of KWP an absolute joke.

Edited by ErwinK1961
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

No update from me. Interesting Broja has been given 18 shirt…expect him to be on the market for £10m next summer. 

Vale one to keep an eye on for sure, 

I’m guessing he’s going to get a loan move.  (But would need to sign a new deal first).  I don’t think there’s been any whispers about him wanting out has there? 

£62m for Cucarella, the world has gone bonkers. 

He's a good player, but he's not that good a player.

Brighton already have the £15 bleeding a hole in their pocket from Dann, and £35m from Bissouma. They've not got long, but they've potentially got £100m to play with.

11 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

Didn t have the quality? He outperformed all our strikers combined whilst also having an inconsistent season. 
Put that into perspective that the bloke is 20 and only going to get better…

Laughable to say he wasn t all that when he was clealy the talk in town up until the end of Feb.

It s as if he was made scapegoat for our poor form in the last 3 months when he carried us for 60% of the season.

I mean… he didn’t but don’t let the facts get in the way of hyperbole

• Like 3

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Brighton already have the £15 bleeding a hole in their pocket from Dann, and £35m from Bissouma. They've not got long, but they've potentially got £100m to play with.

They've also replaced Burn with Colwill for free too, they are going to target a very good striker.

Edited by SaintsFan86

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

lets hope they are not looking at the same strikers as we are.

1 hour ago, SaintsFan86 said:

They've also replaced Burn with Colwill for free too, they are going to target a very good striker.

Their squad is looking very very thin though to be honest, I don’t ‘think’ they’ll be relegated but Im not convinced they’ll do much

Maupay and Undav are meh… their midfield has a huge Bissouma shaped hole, Trossards form tailed off last year.. defensively they’re ok I suppose and yeah Colwill should do well but as a club… unless they make signings quickly, they look like they’re going backwards

1 minute ago, stevy777_x said:

Without Broja, we would have been relegated

Without Adams we’d of got relegated

Without JWP we’d of got relegated

If we only played the second half of the season we’d of been relegated 

All pointless statements really

Point is…. Che statistically had a better season than Broja and factually what you said was bollocks

• Like 14

10 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I'd be all for this if he was actually available (Crook tax) and we're sticking with the 3atb. Can't imagine we could compete with Everton though due to location in particular.

When we all prattle on about needing experience, this is the sort of player we should be focused on. Clearly a good, but not world class, CB, but brings experience of the PL. 

I really can’t see it happening though, Everton does seem more likely and we have plenty of CB’s with PL experience (even if they’re a bit shit).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Their squad is looking very very thin though to be honest, I don’t ‘think’ they’ll be relegated but Im not convinced they’ll do much

Maupay and Undav are meh… their midfield has a huge Bissouma shaped hole, Trossards form tailed off last year.. defensively they’re ok I suppose and yeah Colwill should do well but as a club… unless they make signings quickly, they look like they’re going backwards

Seen Undav much? Confident how he will play in the premier league?  Last seasons attacking options still took them to a top half finish  

Bissouma’s replacement will emerge from Mwepu, Caicedo, Mac Allister or Alzete. All have Premier league and international experience.

They will need a left back and as with most teams they would sign a 15 goal striker if they could.

Brighton’s planning is infinitely better than ours, their squad looks a lot stronger than ours. 

Edited by notnowcato

1 hour ago, notnowcato said:

Brighton’s planning is infinitely better than ours, their squad looks a lot stronger than ours. 

No and no. 

They were 11 points better off than us last year and have lost their best player and are about to lose one of their other better players.  We have signed 7 players. 

They have signed no one of note at the moment either. Their squad looks weaker than ours and not sure how their planning is better when they are approaching the start of the season without any key signings after lose a top player. 

Edited by tajjuk
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RobM said:

When we all prattle on about needing experience, this is the sort of player we should be focused on. Clearly a good, but not world class, CB, but brings experience of the PL. 

I really can’t see it happening though, Everton does seem more likely and we have plenty of CB’s with PL experience (even if they’re a bit shit).

He is from Liverpool though, so i assume Neverton or Pool would have more sway in lurning him than the south coast unless he likes Sand, Ice Cream, boats and SnakeBite 😉

1 hour ago, notnowcato said:

Seen Undav much? Confident how he will play in the premier league?  Last seasons attacking options still took them to a top half finish  

Bissouma’s replacement will emerge from Mwepu, Caicedo, Mac Allister or Alzete. All have Premier league and international experience.

They will need a left back and as with most teams they would sign a 15 goal striker if they could.

Mwepu is his replacement and looks decent IMO

#wishwewerebrighton

1 hour ago, RobM said:

He's a Liverpool fan though right? 

1 hour ago, tajjuk said:

No and no. 

They were 11 points better off than us last year and have lost their best player and are about to lose one of their other better players.  We have signed 7 players. 

They have signed no one of note at the moment either. Their squad looks weaker than ours and not sure how their planning is better when they are approaching the start of the season without any key signings after lose a top player. 

I'd be delighted and a little surprised if we manage to finish this season above Brighton.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tajjuk said:

No and no. 

quoted wrong person and now cant be arsed

Edited by Turkish

11 hours ago, Dusic said:

Vince Mcmahon Smile GIF - Vince Mcmahon Smile Wrestling GIFs

25 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

I'd be delighted and a little surprised if we manage to finish this season above Brighton.

Me too. Well run club. Very good manager who actually knows tactics. Also, they have £80m or so to spend...

Half way through, I felt this transfer window was a roaring success. Now it feels a lot less good, with key positions still unfilled. Hoping we pull something out of the bag but it feels a bit last minute for the hardest positions to fill. Fingers crossed...

2 hours ago, notnowcato said:

He looked very good in Belgium to be fair to him, but it’ll remain to be seen if he can replicate that same form in the premier league really

Id say their squad is steady, but nothing spectacular. Its well stewarded by Potter but after losing Bissouma and Cucu Id say they are significantly weaker. Its worth noting too that they did well off the back of Maupay/Trossard early/mid season form and from memory (purely memory so apologies if this is wrong) but it feels like last was maupays/trossards best seasonal return and Im not sure they have the consistency to do it again

Of course with 100m ready to go they could look very different in a couple of weeks but they have a lot to do in the market

On the eve of the season, we have bought in a lot of players but are still weak in CB and CF positions.

Bednarek going will hopefully set off an experienced CB coming in.

We already need 1 CF, so if Adams goes we should sign 2.

Unfortunately, these deals are more likely to happen at the end of the window.

I hope I’m wrong, but in the meantime I can see us being torn apart.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

He looked very good in Belgium to be fair to him, but it’ll remain to be seen if he can replicate that same form in the premier league really

Id say their squad is steady, but nothing spectacular. Its well stewarded by Potter but after losing Bissouma and Cucu Id say they are significantly weaker. Its worth noting too that they did well off the back of Maupay/Trossard early/mid season form and from memory (purely memory so apologies if this is wrong) but it feels like last was maupays/trossards best seasonal return and Im not sure they have the consistency to do it again

Of course with 100m ready to go they could look very different in a couple of weeks but they have a lot to do in the market

I would hope that we also have a lot still to do in this window even if we don't have 100m burning a hole in our pocket. Doubt we'll survive with the squad we've got so I'm hoping that Ralph was genuine when he said we have more business to do. I like the look of the youngsters we've signed plus the more experienced Aribo but they'll likely take a season before we see the best of them although we may be lucky in that we have another Tino or two among them. Bazunu will probably quickly establish himself as number one in goal but he has only limited competition.  Would love to see us try to get Conor Coady but I doubt we'll even put a bid in - his experience could galvanise our defence as he seems to be a great leader and organiser, something we badly need.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

I prefer to look at last season from the WHU cup game and before, rather than after. I'm usually hopelessly optimistic b4 the season starts, and then do a volte face after the 1st game.

So the difference to when we played OK is no Forster, no Broja vs the players we've brought in. I'm not sure what happened post WHU game, if anything specifically did, but is that form really to be expected again?

The thing is because SR have a bit of money and won’t want to lose their long term investment in the club; if things were looking bleak later in the year and we’re in a poor position with no uphill turn coming, I can see the club sacking RH and having a mini buying spree like Newcastle did last January and that would see us through to the end of the season.

Obviously none of us want that, but if the youth approach doesn’t work (which is 50/50) then I can see us going for experience route mid-season to change things around.

• Like 1

Bednarek, Djenepo and Walcott to name a few need to bugger off, but this will be difficult due to their wages and lack of ability.

CB, AM/Winger, a FB on loan and maybe a ST are still huge issues (The ST position I wouldn’t say is an issue if we’re looking to go one up top and change in formation).

1 hour ago, tajjuk said:

No and no. 

Bissouma’s replacement is already in the squad, so it is fair to say their planning is better than ours. Likely to be Mwepu but Caceido looks decent and Mac Allister played that role well last season too when asked. 

29 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Losing Cucu after 1 season has probably surprised Albion as has the ridiculous amount they sold him for. 

I can also see Trossard being much more influential this season. 

Edited by notnowcato

What we're seeing now is the typical lull before a busy couple of weeks transfer wise. Focus switches to coaching what 'you  have' for the first couple of games, preparation for the start of the season etc.

Plus...this is often the time when clubs of our level are looking at players who may also have their sights elsewhere, i.e more established players. As the window creeps on and moves to 'bigger' clubs don't materialise, we're in a decent position to grab them. 

Loan situations often come out of nowhere at the back end of the window, clubs play the first few games, players realise they're not getting the games so they'll push to leave. Could be situations we see evolving with the likes of Hudson-Odoi or even someone like Elanga if Utd sign some additions (as I remember an ITK link to him).

It's the same with players who we want to shift. If they realise they're not going to get games here, then they may then be open to moves and start pushing themselves which will help us remove some deadwood.

Sports Republic know what they're doing, they've come in and they've not settled with the status quo. They're challenging all aspects and for the first season in some while it feels as if Ralph is actually under some real pressure to deliver.

• Like 4

It's also the first season Ralph has actually had some backing financially and with support staff, so far he has kept us in the Premier League working without a budget and with  very limited quality. Thanks Ralph---now let's go!

• Like 2

If we look at where we are versus last season.

We've lost Forster, Long and Broja.

Forster gave us more solidity in goal than McCarthy but both had terrible distribution. Bazunu is going to give the ball away less even before we get into him being more willing to claim crosses and talk to his backline. We shouldn't underestimate the confidence that comes from a keeper that's not going to invite pressure.

KWP is still here and will have more licence to come forward in a 5-3-2 or 3-5-2. Livramento will be back. Djenepo gets in good positions but has also looked defensively solid (never thought I'd say this). Perraud is solid and has a season in the premier League behind him.

We've added Bella-Kotchap who looks like a beast. Bednarek may be a bit checked out. Lyanco is always committed if erratic. Salisu can be dominant. Stephens can be solid or erratic. Overall I'd say we're stronger in defence.

In centre mid we've added Lavia who looks tidy and will only get stronger. JWP is JWP. Romeu may be off the pace a bit. Our new system may suit Diallo more. I'd say stronger in the middle where we've sometimes been overrun.

Creatively we've added Aribo who looks key already. Stu is fit. Walcott not what he was. Redmond great on his day but frustrating. Tella not sure yet. Moi largely anonymous. I'd say we're starting stronger than last season.

Up front we look lightweight but peversely it may force us to give Armstrong and Adams the run they need to find form. Mara is one for the future but very exciting. We're weaker up top.

Overall I think we have a stronger squad than last season. One which hopefully gets stronger as they gel and get used to the pace of the league. Goals are the concern and adding an extra striker makes this a good window. But I think we'll be harder to break down and have less moments of madness in it.

Also excited by the backroom changes. Never understood why our first team coaches were all ex keepers. New training methods will also come into play as we progress through the season. Whether that's in time to save Ralph or to set up the next guy is an open question.

Edited by coalman
  • Like 14

24 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

On the eve of the season, we have bought in a lot of players but are still weak in CB and CF positions.

Bednarek going will hopefully set off an experienced CB coming in.

We already need 1 CF, so if Adams goes we should sign 2.

Unfortunately, these deals are more likely to happen at the end of the window.

I can't see anyone going who we want to keep, although would have expected the likes of Walcott, bednarek and valery to have been sold already. I think that's why we've had a hold up in getting an experienced striker in. Wage bill is the problem right now.

Maybe that we will have to settle for a loan rather than a permanent now. I dont think Vale is the answer though.

18 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Bissouma’s replacement is already in the squad, so it is fair to say their planning is better than ours. Likely to be Mwepu but Caceido looks decent and Mac Allister played that role well last season too when asked. 

Replacements that are clearly worse otherwise they would have been ahead of Bissouma and wanted by bigger clubs, doesn't sound like great planning to me. It would like us selling JWP and then saying Diallo was the replacement. 

Their squad was bang average at best, and it's now getting weaker. Like the other poster said, Maupay and Trossard had a little spell of above their normal form that accounted for a lot of their points, their previous performances suggest that is unlikely to repeat. 

To say their squad is way better than ours just doesn't make any sense. We've strengthened and they have got weaker, and the gap was hardly big as it was. 

Edited by tajjuk
  • Like 2