Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

26 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Apparently we don’t have enough fund to pay the €10m fee, so are discussing a loan. I’m hoping that’s just because we aren’t budgeting to buy a new RB this summer, rather than we’ve run out of money!

#Saintsy

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Apparently we don’t have enough fund to pay the €10m fee, so are discussing a loan. I’m hoping that’s just because we aren’t budgeting to buy a new RB this summer, rather than we’ve run out of money!

We do enjoy a signing from Ligue 1

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Brighton are getting gutted a little bit, they could struggle. 

Brighton obviously had a good run on the recruitment front (perhaps under the Ashworth influence) and are now seeing the benefits when cashing in, although also had some questionable signings such as Nivea.

Loan with option makes complete sense in that position.

After the WC we might have 3 good players in that position who all want to play and if KWP doesn't go now or Jan he almost certainly will next summer so good opportunity to assess a loan player and low risk if it doesnt work out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

If he's even half the player Jeremy Pied was, we're in good hands. :nod:

Pied is one of those players I remember played for us, but can’t remember a single thing he did or if he was any good, a modern day Patrick Colleter

3 minutes ago, Badger said:

Brighton obviously had a good run on the recruitment front (perhaps under the Ashworth influence) and are now seeing the benefits when cashing in, although also had some questionable signings such as Nivea.

It depends how they spend the money as to how well Brighton will do - they have £90 million odd from sales and Potter must be rubbing his hands together. They've brought in Colwill which is a start but bar a striker nobody has ever heard of, they've not done anything in the window yet and of course the season has now started.

6 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

If he's even half the player Jeremy Pied was, we're in good hands. :nod:

I only saw Pied appear briefly for us, didn’t look bad but I thought he was badly injured soon after joining. By the time he regained fitness I think Puel may have left.

Memory of him is probably tarnished by the Puel connection but in his brief cameo he didn’t appear to be another Pulis shall we say.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

It depends how they spend the money as to how well Brighton will do - they have £90 million odd from sales and Potter must be rubbing his hands together. They've brought in Colwill which is a start but bar a striker nobody has ever heard of, they've not done anything in the window yet and of course the season has now started.

They battered Espanyol in pre-season and have an excellent manager. They will be absolutely fine. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SNSUN said:

If truth be told, 90% of Brighton's transfers over the last three or four years have all been players that most have never heard of. Some good, some bad. Was anyone aware  of Marc Cucurella at Getafe? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nolan said:

A loan for a RB seems sensible as we have KWP and Livramento (when fit).

Get him in and see how Tino recovers.

Tino should be considered a non entity for the entire season. if he comes back in the new year, great, but a team with a £114m wage bill should have two left and right backs.

We keep ignoring the position and hope that KWP doesn't get injured. It worked last year, but the season before it killed us.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chez said:

If truth be told, 90% of Brighton's transfers over the last three or four years have all been players that most have never heard of. Some good, some bad. Was anyone aware  of Marc Cucurella at Getafe? 

Story is Saints had but refused to pay the asking price. 

6 minutes ago, DT said:

They battered Espanyol in pre-season and have an excellent manager. They will be absolutely fine. 

They were a solid side. We battered them at SMS last season and they lucked out getting a draw, but they improved as the season went on. Not sure losing Cucurella will hurt them too much.He's decent, but I didn't see them relying on him.

13 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

From the outside looking in, over the last few seasons they do seem to make more signings to strengthen the team in ‘the here and now’ than us.

Most of ours, Aribo aside, are ‘ones for the future’ , although it appears we got the judgement on Cucurella wrong.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chez said:

two seasons, not one. 26 goals in 2013/14, 29 goals in 2012/13.

Have we ever signed a player with a goal scoring record like that? Sir Ricky scored 29, but only 13 the season before that...

Undav has 47 goal contributions in his last 63 games, would you be happy starting the season with him ?

Also Ricky was a different animal, we were a league 1 team and signed a very good league 1 striker… that’s entirely different to a prem team taking a punt on a Eiredivisie striker (who turned out to be excellent)

Edited by Smirking_Saint

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Tino should be considered a non entity for the entire season. if he comes back in the new year, great, but a team with a £114m wage bill should have two left and right backs.

We keep ignoring the position and hope that KWP doesn't get injured. It worked last year, but the season before it killed us.

We do, KWP, Tino, Perraud, Djenepo. 

1 hour ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Are you a secret B&HAFC supporter? Always seem to be big upping them and their manager.

No, but I think they are a good, well run club with decent values and a manager who plays the game the ‘right’ way. And I think k many on here dismiss them as being nowhere near Saints’ level, when in reality they are probably a bit ahead of us, reflected in their finishing position last time out. It is possible to admire other clubs without being ‘secret fans’. Quite liked Barcelona of old as well….

• Like 4

2 hours ago, goodymatt said:

I’ve heard this is a very strong possibility 

• Like 1

“I think they’ll go down, Southampton’. Tony Cascarino on Talksport just mow, looking at the game today, saying the manager ‘isn’t safe’ and that changing the coaching team and not replacing Ings is going to present problems. 

18 minutes ago, DT said:

“I think they’ll go down, Southampton’. Tony Cascarino on Talksport just mow, looking at the game today, saying the manager ‘isn’t safe’ and that changing the coaching team and not replacing Ings is going to present problems. 

Darren Bent said the same the other night, adding that he liked Saints as a club. I really want to be positive and I’ll reserve judgment until we have played the first six games. 

22 minutes ago, DT said:

Great insight. Thanks. Good to see you starting the day in the same positive fashion as every other day. #dtgroundhogday 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, DT said:

Football pundits are an odd bunch of talking heads aren't they.  We had problems with the old coaching team, but changing them will give us more problems.  I guess in their job if they spray as much shit around as possible, eventually they'll get something right!

Edited by Weston Super Saint
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Football pundits are an odd bunch of talking heads aren't they.  We had problems with the old coaching team, but changing them will give us more problems.  I guess in their job if they spray as much shit around as possible, eventually they'll get something right!

The thing is, none of us know if the new coaching team will have a positive effect. We also don't know if the new kids will settle and improve us - for every Tino there's at least one Simeu. I haven't a clue how we'll go this season, but it's hard to criticise any pundit who tips us to go down. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

There is also "the old boy's network". Most of the pundits and the coaches are ex players. Changing the coaching team and removing (English) coaches would not have gone down well with many of them.

8 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

I suppose if you were a neutral pundit you too would predict us down near the bottom.

They look at the facts, 2 wins in 20, struggling to score goals, same manager, leaky defence, bought loads of unproven kids.

Totally agree - and a weaker strike force than last season. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

I suppose if you were a neutral pundit you too would predict us down near the bottom.

They look at the facts, 2 wins in 20, struggling to score goals, same manager, leaky defence, bought loads of unproven kids.

Let's face it. Most neutral pundits spend 90%of their time wanking over the big 6. Newcastle, West Ham and Everton sometimes appear on their radar but the likes of us, Brighton, Bournemouth, Palace, Brentford barely register. Most of them know, and care very little about us.

We may well go down this year .... but it is a very rare season that no pundit  predicts relegation for us from the Prem and so far 🤞 it has only happened once. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, egg said:

The thing is, none of us know if the new coaching team will have a positive effect. We also don't know if the new kids will settle and improve us - for every Tino there's at least one Simeu. I haven't a clue how we'll go this season, but it's hard to criticise any pundit who tips us to go down. 

Heading up early this morning on the train, have been talking to a Fulham fan, interesting to get perspective they definitely see us as a relegation rival expecting us to struggle, seems to be reflected in a number of pundits tipping us for the drop. Time will tell but expectations are low. 

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Rather like you perhaps

57 minutes ago, whiteleySaint30 said:

Totally agree - and a weaker strike force than last season. 

This was our starting line up for the first 3 games last season, broja only came on as a sub near the end of the 3rd game.

We expect a more experienced striker to come in before the window closes so I'll reserve judgement until the transfer window is shut about our strike force but personally i think we are stronger in goal, defence, no.10 and have good options to come off the bench if not starting (lavia/mara).

Screenshot 2022-08-06 at 09.55.05.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DT said:

Love the morning positivity. Do you always wake up on that side of the bed?  🤣

Jokes aside does anyone really care what Talkshite say? Their entire reporting team every season back the top six to win the league and tip the other fourteen to go down. Hardly groundbreaking stuff.

It’s the equivalent of Paul Merson on Sky every year going “I worry for them”. No you don’t, you fucking tool.
I’ve never known a pundit so ill informed and yet still in a job - i.e. They’ll struggle without Ings - he left a year ago, dick. I’m surprised he hasn’t tipped Redknapp to be manager of the season and Hughes to be sacked first… 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Undav has 47 goal contributions in his last 63 games, would you be happy starting the season with him ?

Also Ricky was a different animal, we were a league 1 team and signed a very good league 1 striker… that’s entirely different to a prem team taking a punt on a Eiredivisie striker (who turned out to be excellent)

some of Undav's goals were in the Belgium second division, so not quite the same as Pelle, but I'd much rather sign a player who has scored lots of goals previously than someone like Carrillo that never had.

Sure, of course it was different for Ricky, my point was only that, even Ricky, a tremendous scorer of goals, hadn't scored as many as Pelle. Pelle was a proven goalscorer and I'd argue that we were signing a top player, certainly at our level of the game.

1 hour ago, Pilchards said:

Not just pundits to be fair, the last time I was this pessimistic about a season was under that Portaloo Dutch bloke.

10 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

We do, KWP, Tino, Perraud, Djenepo. 

I've not seen Djenepo play left back before. I saw him play left wing back away at Sheffield United a few seasons back and he was terrible. How's he looked during pre season there?