Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

14 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I actually think we’ll lose 3/4-1 today convincingly, and this’ll spark a sudden urge to bring in some immediately good players rather than “kids with potential”.

A decent attacking wide player and a CB being priority.

15 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I actually think we’ll lose 3/4-1 today convincingly, and this’ll spark a sudden urge to bring in some immediately good players rather than “kids with potential”.

‘Love the morning positivity’

😂

6 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Love that Chelsea’s reported view is that our valuation of KWP is “on the high side” when they are bidding £70m for Fofana & £62m for Cucurella.

what's our valuation though? Maybe we are quoting £70m.

30 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

This was our starting line up for the first 3 games last season, broja only came on as a sub near the end of the 3rd game.

We expect a more experienced striker to come in before the window closes so I'll reserve judgement until the transfer window is shut about our strike force but personally i think we are stronger in goal, defence, no.10 and have good options to come off the bench if not starting (lavia/mara).

Screenshot 2022-08-06 at 09.55.05.png

do you think we could get a result at Spurs? Or is unsigned striker the key?

Find the reaction to pundits tipping us to get relegated rather odd.

I would say its very likely we are in the bottom 6, and certainly very arguable that we will be in the relegation mix.

Who do some you really think we will be finishing above? Even being optimistic I would say the only teams that can really be included are the promoted 3 plus Leeds, Everton and Brentford.

Of those, Everton and Leeds have spent £30m on a player and Brentford have made decent signings under a very good manager.

We may not like it, but us being in the bottom 3 is a very reasonable prediction.

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, DT said:

‘Love the morning positivity’

😂

"we've had a good window", "we've strengthened the squad", "we have never been in a relegation fight with Ralph" and "we will finish top half" etc. yet most think we will lose badly to Spurs. 

They are a good side, but are we a `half decent outfit' or not?  

• Confused 1

If Tony Cascarino told me it was sunny outside i’d wear a coat. Most of these pundits don’t watch us, don’t follow us, just think ‘they weren’t great last year, they haven’t signed Mbappe, so they won’t be great this year either’. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Just now, Chez said:

"we've had a good window", "we've strengthened the squad", "we have never been in a relegation fight with Ralph" and "we will finish top half" etc. yet most think we will lose badly to Spurs. 

They are a good side, but are we a `half decent outfit' or not?  

Depends what you are judging it on? 
If judging on the last 12 games of last season them no, we aren’t. 
There’s pressure on the young new signings to hit the ground running otherwise we are back to the dross of last season, and with them, we ain’t brilliant.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dusic said:

I would say its very likely we are in the bottom 6, and certainly very arguable that we will be in the relegation mix.

Who do some you really think we will be finishing above? Even being optimistic I would say the only teams that can really be included are the promoted 3 plus Leeds, Everton and Brentford.

Of those, Everton and Leeds have spent £30m on a player and Brentford have made decent signings under a very good manager.

We may not like it, but us being in the bottom 3 is a very reasonable prediction.

Anyone below like 7th could easily be involved in relegation. 

The whole middle of the table was a much of a muchness last year, even someone like Leicester could get dragged in the way they are going, no signings, losing good players. 

Crystal Palace have lost one of their key players from last year, who knows this year could be the year Zaha goes.

People seem to fap over Villa for some reason but they were bang average at best, their defence is bad and will depend on Carlos adapting, Gerrard's new manager bounce wore off pretty quick and Coutinho faded into uselessness as many expected after a bright start. 

Newcastle's Saudi spending spree so far is pretty meh.

Wolves struggle to score goals, they are supposedly changing system, if they become more leaky they could easily struggle. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Chez said:

I've not seen Djenepo play left back before. I saw him play left wing back away at Sheffield United a few seasons back and he was terrible. How's he looked during pre season there?

No idea, haven’t seen us play as been away getting married!

But lots of positive reviews it seems from LWB. He won’t be playing LB in a back four I wouldn’t think. From what I’ve heard, they club don’t want to spend a load of money on a player who probably won’t play very much, and loan deals have been very difficult. Sounds like we will go into the season and try and get by with Perraud, KWP and Tino. Perraud was expected to be out until mid September, so was a a big surprise when he played last week. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chez said:

I've not seen Djenepo play left back before. I saw him play left wing back away at Sheffield United a few seasons back and he was terrible. How's he looked during pre season there?

He was actually playing there during last season pre-season too and his ball recovery and off the ball play was starting to look better at that point last year. 

this article was actually from a year ago.

I see him there this season’ – Hasenhuttl hints at Djenepo’s new position for Southampton | Goal.com

• Like 1

What I'd like to see (assuming we're playing 3 at the back):

--------------------Bazunu--------------------

-------------ABK---Lyanco---Salisu-----------

KWP------------JWP---Romeu--------Perraud

------------------------S Armstrong----------

--------------Aribo---------------------------

--------------------Adams-------------------

I expect that Djenepo and Bednarek will start start though. I've also got a feeling we're going to be starting yet another season with McCarthy in goal.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Depends what you are judging it on? 
If judging on the last 12 games of last season them no, we aren’t. 
There’s pressure on the young new signings to hit the ground running otherwise we are back to the dross of last season, and with them, we ain’t brilliant.

I guess my question was, do we look a decent outfit now after this `great' window? Perhaps no one knows until we see us play. Beat Spurs today and things will look very rosey indeed.

5 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

No idea, haven’t seen us play as been away getting married!

But lots of positive reviews it seems from LWB. He won’t be playing LB in a back four I wouldn’t think. From what I’ve heard, they club don’t want to spend a load of money on a player who probably won’t play very much, and loan deals have been very difficult. Sounds like we will go into the season and try and get by with Perraud, KWP and Tino. Perraud was expected to be out until mid September, so was a a big surprise when he played last week. 

Congrats by the way!

By all accounts we're looking at a guy called Pol Lirola on loan from Marseile. Attacking wing back by the looks of it, 24 year old, not too old but has a bit of experience behind him.

Loan makes all the sense for the 'full back' cover. I was always confused by our supposed bids for hat Pederson fella at Feyenoord, as it would have created an overload by mid-season.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Chez said:

I guess my question was, do we look a decent outfit now after this `great' window? Perhaps no one knows until we see us play. Beat Spurs today and things will look very rosey indeed.

I think we won’t know until 6-10 games in. But I can 💯 see why people are tipping us to go down. But I believe in Ralph that he can bring this group back up to a higher standard, got some new ideas in the back room and got some exciting new young players. Could go either way, but if it goes badly Ralph will be gone after 10-12 games anyway. 

• Like 2

We've got another 'on paper' tough run of opening fixtures IIRC, it happened a few years ago and put us in a false position but we then picked up more points later on once the fixtures evened out. 

So avoiding panicking if we have a rocky start is the key, good teams will lose away to Spurs. Plus there is more promise to come in the window hopefully. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, DT said:

No, but I think they are a good, well run club with decent values and a manager who plays the game the ‘right’ way. And I think k many on here dismiss them as being nowhere near Saints’ level, when in reality they are probably a bit ahead of us, reflected in their finishing position last time out. It is possible to admire other clubs without being ‘secret fans’. Quite liked Barcelona of old as well….

Only thing you havent mentioned, the owner made his fortune on the back of much misery for others in online betting. To most it is a little fun but it has ruined thousands of lives 

• Confused 1

I'm quietly optimistic about this season. Give it ten games and assess that's what I normally do. 

If we go down so be it I'm not going to worry life is to short to worry about such things. 

For myself I enjoy the moment am looking forward to seeing the likes of Aribo, Lavia develop. 

The board are not silly I'm sure they have additional targets ready but are waiting for the market to have that last minute crazy rush and the chess moves by bigger teams to happen to create the domino effect of which targets we can get in.

Edited by ally_uk
Spelling
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Unlikely but no point worrying about it if we lose. Saturday 3pm London away day in the sunshine. Happy days 

stifle them, get a set piece goal, confidence increases, time flies by, Spurs get edgy, we somehow get a second on the break and hold out, getting a little luck on the way. 0-2 job done. I'm playing cricket and will miss the game, so a brilliant away day is bound to happen. COYR

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I expect that Djenepo and Bednarek will start start though. I've also got a feeling we're going to be starting yet another season with McCarthy in goal.

I think JWP will be playing further forward this season.

KWP-----------------Lavia------------Perraud

----------------------JWP--------------------

---------Aribo---------------S Armstrong-----

--------------------Adams--------------------

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Nolan said:

I think JWP will be playing further forward this season.

KWP-----------------Lavia------------Perraud

----------------------JWP--------------------

---------Aribo---------------S Armstrong-----

--------------------Adams--------------------

This all day long, it’s a Free hit and it’ll do us good to give the youngsters a go at them with a bit of the fearlessness they bring, we’ll more then likely lose whatever team we put out, so might as well. Looking forward to seeing how aribo does.

52 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I think those three centre backs would get slaughtered 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

I think we need to be more upbeat.  The reality is with many of the competition around us have in most cases lost their best players.  Leeds - Raphina, Phillips, Brentford - Erickson, Everton - Richarlison, Brighton - Bissouma, Cucurella, Palace - Galagher (though he was a loan).  I'm sure many on this forum would have a meltdown if we'd sold JPW & KWP which is the equivalent of what Leeds have done.  I think we can start competing with the likes of Leicester who are losing Fofana and possibly Tielemans, plus carrying our rejects.  Beyond Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Man U, West Ham & possibly Newcastle I think we're potentially as good as any beyond them.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

All of our centre backs would against Kane and Son, to be fair.

I just wouldn’t want to see ABK ruined, I don’t have the problems with Stephens and Bednarek that others do. I could live with a back three of Lyanco , Salisu, and one of those two, I think ABK needs time to acclimatise, in the same manner a Salisu was given time.

• Like 1

Just now, Toussaint said:

I just wouldn’t want to see ABK ruined, I don’t have the problems with Stephens and Bednarek that others do. I could live with a back three of Lyanco , Salisu, and one of those two, I think ABK needs time to acclimatise, in the same manner a Salisu was given time.

It would be a baptism of fire, agreed.

47 minutes ago, mcbendy said:

I'm always surprised when people post proposed lineups in a different shape to the one/s that we actually play in.

Whatever formation we play it inevitably ends up with 9-10 behind the ball panic kicking it out or back to the opposition, and looking nothing like 4-2-2-2.😇

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dusic said:

If you take Erikssen out of Brentford they are -and were - bang average. Second season syndrome and relegation alongside Bompey for them.  

And I say that having stood through Brentford 3 Saints 0 not so long ago. But we weren’t bang average then, we were shite. 

1 hour ago, Kings Chase Saint said:

I think we need to be more upbeat.  The reality is with many of the competition around us have in most cases lost their best players.  Leeds - Raphina, Phillips, Brentford - Erickson, Everton - Richarlison, Brighton - Bissouma, Cucurella, Palace - Galagher (though he was a loan).  I'm sure many on this forum would have a meltdown if we'd sold JPW & KWP which is the equivalent of what Leeds have done.  I think we can start competing with the likes of Leicester who are losing Fofana and possibly Tielemans, plus carrying our rejects.  Beyond Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Man U, West Ham & possibly Newcastle I think we're potentially as good as any beyond them.

I approve this message. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LaptopSaint said:
2 hours ago, Kings Chase Saint said:

.......and don't forget that Leicester have also lost Kasper Schmeichel 

1 hour ago, LaptopSaint said:

4 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I think score wise you're probably not too far wide of the mark. It may spark a sudden surge to get players in immediately, but It'll definitely trigger the normal reaction on here. Relegated by tea-time.

• Like 1

Just now, Winnersaint said:

I think score wise you're probably not too far wide of the mark. It may spark a sudden surge to get players in immediately, but It'll definitely trigger the normal reaction on here. Relegated by tea-time.

Our opening couple of months on paper are pretty dire, we could be bottom three come mid October. It’ll be about how we do against the teams around us

4 hours ago, Chez said:

some of Undav's goals were in the Belgium second division, so not quite the same as Pelle, but I'd much rather sign a player who has scored lots of goals previously than someone like Carrillo that never had.

Sure, of course it was different for Ricky, my point was only that, even Ricky, a tremendous scorer of goals, hadn't scored as many as Pelle. Pelle was a proven goalscorer and I'd argue that we were signing a top player, certainly at our level of the game.

Undav is in the same calibre as Pelle, thats my point.. Haller was the Eiredivisie top scorer before and after the WHU move and still looked awful in the prem..anyway we’re going round in circles so Im not going to carry on this argument but my point is/was the only proven strikers at our level are Ings/Austin (with injury issues potentially) and like you say.. Lambert in our high spending League 1 days. 

Obviously Id rather Pellè than Carillo… anybody could see that was a car crash from about 20 mins into his debut

6 hours ago, Pilchards said:

I suppose if you were a neutral pundit you too would predict us down near the bottom.

They look at the facts, 2 wins in 20, struggling to score goals, same manager, leaky defence, bought loads of unproven kids.

Yeah Im not getting upset about it, we’ve signed kids so far and our end of season form was terrible

Its a pretty comfortable take to say we’d be relegated

• Like 2

On 05/08/2022 at 10:59, Smirking_Saint said:

I can go along with that… I think we might have ‘enough’ at CB at a push now, Valery looked very good at RCB and I don’t think Bednarek will be ‘as bad’ as he was last year… more importantly I think our issues were exaggerated by our late season tactics within which we were still gung ho despite playing a half arsed press which effectively meant when the ball ‘broke’ our back 2/3 were up against it with the rest of the team engaged at the top of the pitch… I hope we’ve learnt from that

We do definitely need another striker though, and Im a little dissapointed he isn’t here yet

But I’m optimistic enough to look at this squad and realise we have more, imo, then the bottom 3/4

Still thinking Valery is looking very good? And Bednarek not as bad as last year? And expecting our clown manager to change his tactics?

20 hours ago, Chez said:

we had buttons to spend until Ings was sold. Hadn't he already signed for Brighton by then?

Thought you might have had a valid point here, but having looked on Wikipedia :

4th August 2021 -  Ings - signed for Villa

31st August 2021 - Cucurella signed for Brighton.

The wider point of us being pretty cash strapped is a fair one, but for an additional £1m, you'd have hoped we'd have found a way round it with sell on clauses or whatever. 

4 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Our opening couple of months on paper are pretty dire, we could be bottom three come mid October. It’ll be about how we do against the teams around us

Don't think we'll need to wait until mid October to be honest. 

• Like 2