Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

15 minutes ago, whiteleySaint30 said:

I just cannot understand with how woeful he was last season, that we have gone into this season with Adam Armstrong being our first choice centre forward. Absolutely Mind blowing - and we can add to that, that we are in a position where Valery is a first choice CB. Would be interested to hear from those who thought our summer business was an 8 out of 10 plus.........

Our summer business isn't done yet: the window doesn't SLAM shut until 1st September. Maybe worth waiting until then to rate this window's business.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Be serious, we do not need 3 new strikers.

Broja, Long and now Adams all need replaced. Mara's not ready, so we definitely need two more strikers incoming, to take the total up to three in my opinion. With five subs depth is very much needed.

I like Che but there is no way we will command a fee of £30m for him. He has two years left on contract and the likes of forest and Leeds are not going to pay over £20m for him. 

If he was a better finisher he would be a top PL striker. His all round game is excellent but he's paid to score goals and you can't say you would be confident in him scoring when he has time to think and place his shot. He has a unorthodox shooting technique as well which was analysed by Jacob Tanswell couple of years back which basically pointed out that Adams puts power over precision but flaws in his technique meant he was missing gilt edges chances. No doubt he has improved since then but he's still not got a look of a natural finisher. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Dorchester Saint said:

Not if his replacement is better…he’s hardly been prolific has he?

Our second highest league scorer the past 2 seasons behind Ings and JWP (and JWP was only ahead because he is our penalty taker). For a team in our position that has been low in the table and has been going backwards in terms of points, goals scored and goals conceded, the idea of selling our highest scoring striker (having also lost our second highest scoring forward in Broja) is pretty suicidal (see how it worked out for Burnley selling Chris Wood last season for a recent example of how this turns out).

You can hope we can bring in a better striker all you want but the fact we've seemingly spent the whole window so far chasing around Delap and Broja with seemingly no movement on either doesn't fill me with hope (and getting Broja would only cover his missing goals not Adams as well).

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

I like Che but there is no way we will command a fee of £30m for him. He has two years left on contract and the likes of forest and Leeds are not going to pay over £20m for him. 

If he was a better finisher he would be a top PL striker. His all round game is excellent but he's paid to score goals and you can't say you would be confident in him scoring when he has time to think and place his shot. He has a unorthodox shooting technique as well which was analysed by Jacob Tanswell couple of years back which basically pointed out that Adams puts power over precision but flaws in his technique meant he was missing gilt edges chances. No doubt he has improved since then but he's still not got a look of a natural finisher. 

'His all round game is excellent', as opposed to Armstrong, who's all round game is terrible. But Ralph clearly has one of his 'issues' with Che and that's him out. Why not keep him as a foil? Not all strikers do all the scoring. Some do all the work to let others do that.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Our summer business isn't done yet: the window doesn't SLAM shut until 1st September. Maybe worth waiting until then to rate this window's business.

Not sure if your aware but the season has started already and by 01 September we will have played 5 games. Try attracting half decent players later in the window if we continue our bad start................

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DT said:

'His all round game is excellent', as opposed to Armstrong, who's all round game is terrible. But Ralph clearly has one of his 'issues' with Che and that's him out. Why not keep him as a foil? Not all strikers do all the scoring. Some do all the work to let others do that.

I agree. He's struck up good partnerships with both ings and broja who are both more natural finishers than Adams. If we play two upfront then Adams is a useful option alongside another striker who will be better equipped at finishing. 

My guess is that we haven't been able to sell some of the players we had hoped to and so in order to continue to strengthen the squad, we move to the next group of players who could be sold hence Adams maybe going. Its a big big risk and presumably we would now need two strikers. Trust the process I suppose... 

• Like 6

Just now, hypochondriac said:

My guess is that we haven't been able to sell some of the players we had hoped to and so in order to continue to strengthen the squad, we move to the next group of players who could be sold hence Adams maybe going. Its a big big risk and presumably we would now need two strikers. Trust the process I suppose... 

Amongst those players were Djenepo and Bednarek both of which started on saturday. A Armstrong also linked with a move away and he started as well. Walcott has a mysterious injury which our players seem to get from time to time. Strange situation.

• Like 1

Seems mental to me that we're even considering selling Adams.  If he plays he's probably nailed on for 8-10 goals - it isn't great but the best we've got.  All transfers are risks but strikers especially so because they're far more reliant on how the rest of the team plays.  If we go young and/or we go foreign then there's other risks you can chuck in on top of that.  It's a big risk.

About the only thing you can say is that it appears SR aren't afraid to back themselves on the direction they want to go.  If it comes off then it's very impressive - I wouldn't do it but if we end up with two new strikers that are better than Adams and Broja then I'll congratulate them.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Amongst those players were Djenepo and Bednarek both of which started on saturday. A Armstrong also linked with a move away and he started as well. Walcott has a mysterious injury which our players seem to get from time to time. Strange situation.

I reckon Ralph did what he has done in the past and got worried about how good Spurs are and tried to play some weird formation with odd players in order to protect what he views as the fragile nature of the team. This is particularly weird given that we've had all summer to rid ourselves of this style of playing and this cautious nature of trying not to lose. It's inexplicable really that Bednarek, Valery, Djenepo and Armstrong are all getting a place in the starting team when everyone is fully fit bar Livramento. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, whiteleySaint30 said:

I just cannot understand with how woeful he was last season, that we have gone into this season with Adam Armstrong being our first choice centre forward. Absolutely Mind blowing 

Not just that but the total reluctance of Ralph to even put him on the pitch most of the time, even when games had gone. Now he's getting in first. Just another one of Ralph's many many contradictory decisions. 

• Like 1

Is the potential Che sale so that we can sign a player that 'better fits Ralph's system'?

I'd of thought that would need justifying as we seem to have given up on his 4222  - or is the use of 3 CBs just going to be used against the better sides? Let me rephrase, against the CL sides?

Who would have predicted that we would have potentially let go three of our strikers, kept Adam Armstrong and replaced one of them with a young kid who isn't yet ready for the Prem? No doubt we will sign more but it's very poor to start the season with such a glaring hole and then possibly look to make that hole bigger!

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

Is the potential Che sale so that we can sign a player that 'better fits Ralph's system'?

I'd of thought that would need justifying as we seem to have given up on his 4222  - or is the use of 3 CBs just going to be used against the better sides? Let me rephrase, against the CL sides?

Given that we shipped 4 goals and Spurs could have scored more if required, is there much point in this odd formation? If we're going to get thrashed either way, I'd rather just make it simpler and maybe get the players more familiar with how to play. 

• Like 1

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Given that we shipped 4 goals and Spurs could have scored more if required, is there much point in this odd formation? If we're going to get thrashed either way, I'd rather just make it simpler and maybe get the players more familiar with how to play. 

Not sure what Ralphs system is right now.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Not sure what Ralphs system is right now.

a right footed winger at left back, a crap right back at centre back, a non scoring striker as out only forward when that doesn't work play two midfielders up front, they wont score either.

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Not just that but the total reluctance of Ralph to even put him on the pitch most of the time, even when games had gone. Now he's getting in first. Just another one of Ralph's many many contradictory decisions. 

AA did play the last game of last season and the finish for the ruled out goal perhaps have him confidence that he could step up this season?

I have no idea, as not watched preseason, but maybe Che just hasn't looked sharp? If we are selling, then you wouldn't play him for risk of injury of course.

Everything feels a mess right now, but a win in the next game and we'll all feel good. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

a right footed winger at left back, a crap right back at centre back, a non scoring striker as out only forward when that doesn't work play two midfielders up front, they wont score either.

Indeed. 

Bazunu 

KWP BK Salisu Perraud 

Armstrong Lavia JWP Who knows

Aribo 

Adams

There is no chance that a team like that would have performed worse than the actual team we played did. That has the players largely in their correct positions and you can bring Romeu on if required. Playing those players we did play was just unnecessary. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

If we had gone 4222 then almost everyone on here would moan about him not adjusting and playing five at the back.  

I'm with you though. 100% Ralphs side (unless he has little say on transfers, which would be silly) so should have all the players (and type) he needs to make it work.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

George Burley ran the UEFA training course that Ralph went on. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Indeed. 

Bazunu 

KWP BK Salisu Perraud 

Armstrong Lavia JWP Who knows

Aribo 

Adams

There is no chance that a team like that would have performed worse than the actual team we played did. That has the players largely in their correct positions and you can bring Romeu on if required. Playing those players we did play was just unnecessary. 

Makes sense. 

Is BK not better than Valery, Bednarek or Stephens? 

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

If we had gone 4222 then almost everyone on here would moan about him not adjusting and playing five at the back.  

I'm with you though. 100% Ralphs side (unless he has little say on transfers, which would be silly) so should have all the players (and type) he needs to make it work.

It reminds me of all those poor England tournament performances from years past. We had a squad of half decent players but we were wedded to one way of playing and the worst thing was how it wasted so many good players. If saints were going down fighting and still losing then it would be more acceptable. These meek losses and thrashings whilst trying not to lose is the worst part. It is as if we have accepted our place as a lesser team and have acted accordingly. I don't see the likes or Brighton or Palace having the same sort of mentality. 

8 minutes ago, Chez said:

AA did play the last game of last season and the finish for the ruled out goal perhaps have him confidence that he could step up this season?

I have no idea, as not watched preseason, but maybe Che just hasn't looked sharp? If we are selling, then you wouldn't play him for risk of injury of course.

Everything feels a mess right now, but a win in the next game and we'll all feel good. 

Don't know about training but doesn't feel like he's had anywhere near as much time as Armstrong during pre-season games.  I watched all of them and Adams looked like he usually does - nothing better, nothing worse either though. 

I thought it was a bit shit of Ralph to claim Armstrong had impressed during pre-season but Che hadn't when most of the chances to impress went to Armstrong.

1 minute ago, Chez said:

Makes sense. 

Is BK not better than Valery, Bednarek or Stephens? 

I'd have genuinely played Lyanco over those players. If Lyanco can't get in the team over any of them then really it's a travesty that we bought him when we were so desperate for a defensive signing last year. Had we not had Lyanco now, it would be much easier to justify another central defensive purchase. If we do go down this year then that failure to sign a starting CB instead of Lyanco last year is going to be one of the many reasons why. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Don't know about training but doesn't feel like he's had anywhere near as much time as Armstrong during pre-season games.  I watched all of them and Adams looked like he usually does - nothing better, nothing worse either though. 

I thought it was a bit shit of Ralph to claim Armstrong had impressed during pre-season but Che hadn't when most of the chances to impress went to Armstrong.

Perhaps Che hasn’t been putting the effort in training because he wants out? Who knows? It did seem odd that he didn’t get on the pitch on Saturday though under the circumstances so perhaps there is something about him being on the market.

Just now, sadoldgit said:

Perhaps Che hasn’t been putting the effort in training because he wants out? Who knows? It did seem odd that he didn’t get on the pitch on Saturday though under the circumstances so perhaps there is something about him being on the market.

Possibly.  This extends to the back end of last season and suggests to me that for whatever reason Ralph doesn't rate him.  Only thing I would say is that Che might not be the most clinical striker around but I've never seen him give a performance lacking in effort. 

All managers fall out with players - it happens.  A good manager will realise when they don't have much option than to play the player though.  There's really no excuse to recognise that it wasn't working out with Armstrong but refuse to play Adams. 

1 hour ago, DT said:

What issues would that be then or are you just subjectively regurgitating the shit on here? 

• Like 3

I would guess that we are looking to sell Che Adams as he is one of the few players we have that is actually saleable - and that we are willing to sell.  And with 2 years left on his contract now is the time to sell him if we are going to - which means we might get £20-25M for him.  

But we should only be selling him if we have a very good replacement lined up (and maybe we won't sell him until we've actually brought a replacement in)

The fact that he is on his way out is the only acceptable reason not to have played him on Saturday - or play him this coming Saturday.

What worries me though is it was clear to every one of us that what we needed most in the transfer window was an experienced commanding centre back, cover at full back (left and right) and a proven striker with pace and power that can score goals - and as yet we haven't signed any of those.   Still the transfer window is still open so I guess we have to have faith they will bring them in before it closes.

What scared me most on Saturday is we started the game with 3 players we know just aren't good enough for the Premier League - Adam Armstrong, Djneppo and Valery and then brought on another in Diallo.  All of them should have been moved on this summer - whether sold or on loan to see out their contracts (Djneppo/Valery) or try and regain some of their value (Diallo/Adam Armstrong).

And I guess we are also having problems in shifting those players we want to get rid of - Redmond and Walcott - or who want to leave (Bednarek). Lets hope as the transfer windows gets nearer to closing we see some interest in these players.

I'd possibly add Elyounoussi and Lyanco to the list of players we need to move on and replace. 

So far the transfer window has been better than I expected with us bringing in Aribo, Lavia, Bazunu, ABK and Mara and it has given me hope that there is more to come. 

But unfortunately although better than I was expecting other than Aribo they are not the proven or experienced players we really need.  They are the add-ons/the nice to have's - not the essential signings we really need. 

• Like 1

In my time supporting saints we've always performed best when we've had a bit of a talismatic figure leading the line or who we rely on for goals. MLT, Beattie, Lambert, Pelle, Ings even the championship equivalent with Rasiak for a little while! With Broja gone then Adams is really our only player with the potential to do that. With him gone we need to find that person.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, SonicBoom said:

Why stupid? He doesn't score many. Letting him go is fine. what is critical is who we bring in. 

Thought I'd check and he was clearly our most productive attacker last year per 90:image.png.f2b3f4fd14738ddd80bf30b3290c9b3d.png

Not saying he's a superstar but he the best player in the squad at making goals happen - this is madness unless we have someone very good lined up.  For the record he had 0.47 G+A per 90 the previous season (and somewhat surprisingly 0.49 the season before).

• Like 3

The overating of che adams is crazy imo he’s part of the problem not the solution, saying he’s the best of our strikers is like picking your favourite STD.

all he’s done in his time here has proved he’s  gonna get about 5-8 goals a season which sucks for a striker.

the money we get for him could sign the next Danny ings type that could actually score goals for us

Edited by pimpin4rizeal
  • Haha 3

Any Striker we sign is going to need to be amazing to compensate for this defence and organisation . Sorting out structure, tactics, a defence along with goals essential. Another couple of big losses and the youngsters are going to struggle. I cant see how a good striker is going to score more than we let in. 

i cant see us letting in less than 2 a game 

Edited by saint michael

9 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

The overating of che adams is crazy imo he’s part of the problem not the solution, saying he’s the best of our strikers is like picking your favourite STD.

all he’s done in his time here has proved he’s  gonna get about 5-8 goals a season which sucks for a striker.

the money we get for him could sign the next Danny ings type that could actually score goals for us

Or maybe we'd get someone who scores less? Like Patson Daka, Eduard, Ineancho, Werner or even Armando Broja........

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 4