Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

Newcastle bid £40m for Salisu in January, according to press reports, so training and playing with Bednarek didn't seem to do him any harm. The next 6 months though...

As things stand maybe should’ve cashed in if that bud was legit. Thought it was only a rumour.

His form has plummeted off a cliff since the start of the year. And as much as there is a very good player in there at times there’s also an error-prone and naive one too that still has a lot to learn. It’s a big thing to expect a 23 year old with essentially one full playing season of Premier League football to take up that mantle of being the “rock solid CB”. He just isn’t that currently.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, vectraman said:

His decision making is crap. Wankest og I’ve ever seen this week. Wank back pass v Watford. Sent off at home to Spurs last season due to crap thinking. If he’s good enough for us, I’d hate to think what crap is. He’s overrated. Keeps making schoolboy errors. Yet excused because he’s “one for the future”. I call bullshit. 

got to say, you make a good point. He sure has been bad since the Newcastle bid/rumour. Hope he can rediscover the form that suggested we'd found a player.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Puddings and Monkeys said:

There’s enough genuine things to criticise him for without having to make up shit like this.

It’s not shit tho it’s straight facts .. the guy is a fucking fraud and is sinking our club .. wake the fuck up a smell the coffee !!

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

It’s not shit tho it’s straight facts .. 

you're saying that its a fact that a player like Tarkowski is not being signed because Ralph doesn't want any experienced pros like him that might question his tactics?

• Haha 1

Does Salisu have any attitude problem? He didn’t feel sorry after he scored his own goal.  I think that is the problem. Should put him on the bench until he changes his attitude and signs a new contract to commit himself to the club. 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, HKsaint said:

Does Salisu have any attitude problem? He didn’t feel sorry after he scored his own goal.  I think that is the problem. Should put him on the bench until he changes his attitude and signs a new contract to commit himself to the club. 

What should he have done, broken down in tears and begged forgiveness, while kissing the badge? 

The degree to which he puts his body on the line to be one of the leading defenders in the league for blocked shots should tell you there's nothing much wrong with his attitude.

He's just a bit shit at the moment.

• Like 12

Coady is Everton's fourth signing of the summer following the arrivals of centre-back James Tarkowski and forward Dwight McNeil from Burnley and defender Ruben Vinagre from Wolves.

I would be pleased if some of them were they were at Southampton

1 minute ago, John B said:

Coady is Everton's fourth signing of the summer following the arrivals of centre-back James Tarkowski and forward Dwight McNeil from Burnley and defender Ruben Vinagre from Wolves.

Takowski and Cody that's a really strong pair at the back, how we could do with just one of those. 

• Like 7

Just now, Turkish said:

Takowski and Cody that's a really strong pair at the back, how we could do with just one of those. 

Very good pairing. Everton will be fine this season, and may well surprise a few of the big boys. 

• Sad 1

Just now, egg said:

Very good pairing. Everton will be fine this season, and may well surprise a few of the big boys. 

Yep, going to struggle for goals until Calvert Lewin comes back unless they bring someone. Looks like Gueyne is going back there and Onana coming in from Lille so that's a really decent spine, they'll be tough to beat.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chez said:

Omar Richards signed for Munich from Reading, but a season later he's at Forest now. Things do change in football. Maybe Bayern are not interested now...although why he'd signed for us over Leicester I am not sure.

Right, yeah, didn't mean to to suggest Bayern or the like would still be in for him. Just that his stock *should* still be much, much higher than Saints (Dortmund sounds about right tbh). But Leicester also a lot more likely to appeal too.

I reckon we’ve got no targets coming in yet but we will see who’s available in the last week of the transfer window as some will be available at a knock down price as clubs will be desperate to off load them.

I guess it’s the same for us trying get rid of Bednarek, Theo and any other thrash.

I also find it interesting that Chelsea get knock back by Brighton and Leicester for players and they come back with ridiculous offers. We would of crumbled on the first offer personally.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Very strong , plus a proper keeper behind them, should help them grind out some low scoring results

12 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

I reckon we’ve got no targets coming in yet but we will see who’s available in the last week of the transfer window as some will be available at a knock down price as clubs will be desperate to off load them.

I guess it’s the same for us trying get rid of Bednarek, Theo and any other thrash.

I also find it interesting that Chelsea get knock back by Brighton and Leicester for players and they come back with ridiculous offers. We would of crumbled on the first offer personally.

I was gutted tbf when we sold JWP to Villa for £35m last year. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

12 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

I was gutted tbf when we sold JWP to Villa for £35m last year. 

I was talking about Chelsea not Villa.

I believe in todays prices JWP is worth 90m but I reckon we would of taken 45m if Chelsea came knocking at the door.

Edited by Pilchards
  • Confused 3

7 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

I believe in todays prices JWP is worth 90m but I reckon we would of taken 45m if Chelsea came knocking at the door.

🤣So you are saying that Saints are so in awe of Chelsea that we would accept their first bid for any of our players, but at the same time we have the backbone to resist first bids from other teams i.e. Villa.  This opinion doesn't feel thought through TBH.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Riiiight, ok. 

There’s a lot to be annoyed about at the moment, but just making complete bollox up based on absolutely nothing is ridiculous and makes you look a bit of a wet lettuce.

Edited by ErwinK1961
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Alanh said:

🤣So you are saying that Saints are so in awe of Chelsea that we would accept their first bid for any of our players, but at the same time we have the backbone to resist first bids from other teams i.e. Villa.  This opinion doesn't feel thought through TBH.

To be fair, I thought they got Bridge for a steal. Still gutted he left us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John B said:

Vinegre would have been an absolute perfect foil for Perraud. 

Just now, ally_uk said:

Get ready for the last week of window where we announce the combo of:

Ings and Mings 

With a jazzy promotional campaign to appeal to the youth.. 

" Ings and Mings about to create some wicked Tingz " 

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Get the Ting Tings to perform at their unveiling. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Jason Denayer is being released by Lyon.. not really sure why, Im fairly sure he had a good season there last year

Time to get a two for one on him and Dembele please Ralph

Could do an awful lot worse

a 27 year old with 35 caps for a top nation, champions league and premier league experience available for nothing. Nah you're alright, give me £10m for a kid and lets hope they come good.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Jason Denayer is being released by Lyon.. not really sure why, Im fairly sure he had a good season there last year

Time to get a two for one on him and Dembele please Ralph

Could do an awful lot worse

Because he's awful. Last seen getting ripped to shreds by West Ham in the Europa League. 

Just now, Warriorsaint said:

Shame we missed out on Coady. Seems we had a bid rejected.

Good sign though that the club have identified the problem. I can see another CB coming in.

Coady would have been perfect though. Couldn’t compete with Everton, shame.

Too little too late. Would have been perfect. Ours was a late bid. Think we all knew he was available. But yes, at least we know that they are not averse to experience. Finally. 

13 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

This is effing boring isn't it?  Somebody make some shit up about an obscure but decent striker so we can all pretend we've followed the Armenian league avidly. 

Funny you should mention that as I've been following debele of tobal kostanay in the Armenian league for a while.

21goal in 32 games last season, he's 32 so has a bit of experience for our forward line, originally from Ivory coast, hcdtjfu.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Funny you should mention that as I've been following debele of tobal kostanay in the Armenian league for a while.

21goal in 32 games last season, he's 32 so has a bit of experience for our forward line, originally from Ivory coast, hcdtjfu.

He's fucking mustard on Football Manager and I've got him in my Armenian Fantasy Football Team.  Not sure what happened to him as was highly rated at some stage.  Forest also in for him and doubt we could afford his wages but certainly one to keep an eye on.  Cheers fella.

• Haha 1

I'm sure i'm stating what is common knowledge but there are some strong facts about SFC transfer biz and our squad:

1. Our squad has too many Below Average EPL (BAEPL) standard. Our recent league placings tells you this clear as day. These BAEPL players are proving virtually unsellable. So, we cannot "unload" them off the payroll or get a transfer fee out of them. Neither does it make sense to pay up their contracts whilst there is even a chance they can play for saints in a mega injury crisis situation.  

2. As older players leave the squad our recruitment team is attempting under the SR / in Ralph we trust model to backfill with Moneyball sweetspot right age young talents (ie 19/20/21). The idea is these young talents cost £5M-10M but can sell at £20M-£30M after less than one good EPL season (see T Livramento). It pays many SFC bills if you we reliably pick up one or two like that each year.    

3. These big increases in value do not come from playing Championship football. In order to attract the big bids these players must showcase at EPL level. 

4. Relegation is an financial catastrophe but not terminal if the assessment is that an immediate return is highly likely. Consequently, the manager must be of great experience to know what is the right blend of added value youth and no or little resale value more aged but experienced bros- but it is not an absolute deal breaker if SFC goes down. 

5, Saints are not attempting to win the league or get top six. Not every coffee shop opening in your high street is hoping to be a Pret a Manger. Instead they aim for a long term self sustaining business. 

6. Fans are the fly in the ointment though, as despite being historically considered important ( this is no longer true- fan value is only in its monetisation value - not the intangibles that are what we all really care about) so they are essentially paid lip service as they are relatively uncontrollable.  Do not expect fan power to change transfer policy- unless its incredibly well supported - such as SMS riots / massive hostility to news of saints selling JWP for instance - or merging with pompey!   

• Like 5

We’ll be lucky to stay up this season. On paper it isn’t a bad squad but my word in comparison to the rest of the league it’s pretty awful.

That defence is one of the worst I’ve seen. ABK will hopefully add some physicality and hopefully very quickly. But quite frankly if you were an opposition striker and you were up against Bednarek, Valery and Stephens you’d be absolutely buzzing!

• Like 2

Not sure if we ever really were in from him, but RB Leipzig have just announced Sesko is joining them from Salzburg next summer. 

Also not sure how concrete our interest in Kalajdzic is but he's been talking about all the links with him lately: "I don’t know myself how my future will turn out but that will become apparent in the next few weeks or as soon as possible, but I can’t influence many things either." https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/sasa-kalajdzic-breaks-silence-future-24696384

10 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

We’ll be lucky to stay up this season. On paper it isn’t a bad squad but my word in comparison to the rest of the league it’s pretty awful.

That defence is one of the worst I’ve seen. ABK will hopefully add some physicality and hopefully very quickly. But quite frankly if you were an opposition striker and you were up against Bednarek, Valery and Stephens you’d be absolutely buzzing!

My real concern is at the other end. We don't seem to have addressed what should have been the no.1 transfer priority, a first choice striker. Our steady striker is being linked with a move away. Our only business at that end of the pitch is a youngster the manager didn't even consider ready to be amongst the 9 subs.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Valery didn’t look too bad in the friendlies, especially now he has bulked up, but it just goes to show the difference between a friendly and an EPL game. Perhaps it wouldn’t be so bad if we didn’t leave our last line so exposed but certainly those three are really not good enough together at this level.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

My real concern is at the other end. We don't seem to have addressed what should have been the no.1 transfer priority, a first choice striker. Our steady striker is being linked with a move away. Our only business at that end of the pitch is a youngster the manager didn't even consider ready to be amongst the 9 subs.

I’d argue GK and CB were more priorities. A GK we got, we bought ABK but opted not to play him and leave the current shit in the back line from last season. Baffling logic

1 minute ago, ally_uk said:

Seriously tempted to stuck 100 down on saints to be related 

Right go ahead right after we spunked 60 million this summer and with our spending spree far from over.

One game one bloody game, away at Spurs. Laughable

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, Beckenham Saint said:

Not sure if we ever really were in from him, but RB Leipzig have just announced Sesko is joining them from Salzburg next summer. 

Also not sure how concrete our interest in Kalajdzic is but he's been talking about all the links with him lately: "I don’t know myself how my future will turn out but that will become apparent in the next few weeks or as soon as possible, but I can’t influence many things either." https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/sasa-kalajdzic-breaks-silence-future-24696384

He was always likely to go to Leipzig. That Red Bull route is well established, and tbh much better for his career progression. Going to Man Utd at his age and at this stage would have been a disaster