Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

Just now, Wade Garrett said:

That’s like saying a boxer is good because he’s light on his feet, but punches like a fairy.

no it isn't, it's like saying he's a good boxer but if he didn't go for a knockout punch every time he'd be a champion

Edited by Turkish

Watkins is a good player and would be well priced at £25M-£30M.... but is he significantly better than Che Adams? i certainly don't think that selling Che for £15M and purchasing Watkins at £30M would be justified.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Watkins is a good player and would be well priced at £25M-£30M.... but is he significantly better than Che Adams? i certainly don't think that selling Che for £15M and purchasing Watkins at £30M would be justified.

Buying Watkins for 30m would be justified. 

Selling Adams for 15m would not be justified.

Edited by MarkSFC
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

I'd definitely take Watkins...

Watkins has scored 25 PL goals for Villa in 73 matches, so roughly 1 in 3 - around 12 goals in a full season. Of course he is ex-Brentford and a classic example of the model Saints are working to: Brentford bought him for £6.5M in 2017 (when he was 21) and sold him to Villa in 2020 for £30.4M. In his 3 seasons with Brentford he scored 49 goals in 143 appearances in all competitions. So he has had a similar goal return in the PL as he had in the championship. So PL-proven, he could probably do a good job for Saints but would the club splash the cash for him? 

• Like 1

We won't be signing Watkins (if they even sell him).

Villa will want more than they paid two years ago and with subsequent good PL performance and England caps.

He will be out of our price range and would likely have bigger clubs interested.

Amazed some of you haven't noticed/heard/read/understood by now the numerous times that our transfer policy has been explained by Ralph/Semmens.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 6

Ralph talked about definitely signing a ‘game changing striker’ and how they cost more. With add ons a rumoured bid for Delap was up to £23m. Other rumours suggested we had an offer down for Broja all summer, which you’d think would have had to be minimum £25m. “We will never spend £40/50m on a transfer, as it’s not right for our club” is another recent quote. 

Whoever we bring in it’s more than likely going to be a record transfer fee (£20m+) and the noises coming out of our manager do not suggest it is a £15m youth player. Perhaps I’m letting optimism get the better of me and reading what I want to see in between the lines. Would Watkins be wildly out of that scope if they feel they want to sell? Possibly but not 100% convinced.

1 minute ago, Dusic said:

A story involving two of our striker links:

Are the dominos starting to fall into place. Everton linked with the Coventry striker Gyokeres today by Sky and that might suggest they are moving away from Sasa. Zirkzee identified as his replacement for Stuttgart. Austrian link to Ralph. Can play up top on his own. I don’t see United linked recently either?

28 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Are the dominos starting to fall into place. Everton linked with the Coventry striker Gyokeres today by Sky and that might suggest they are moving away from Sasa. Zirkzee identified as his replacement for Stuttgart. Austrian link to Ralph. Can play up top on his own. I don’t see United linked recently either?

slightly surprised we have not been linked to Gyokeres. We had a good look at him and he caused us issues. Maybe we have had our fill of Championship strikers that just lack an X factor?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

spacer.png

I did squirm when I saw that happen, he seemed to walk it off ok at the time, but maybe an issue caused by this has come to light after a few days rest.

Great timing. Valery it is then, as I can't see us throwing a new signing in for Saturday (Even if we do make them in time).

Just now, S-Clarke said:

I did squirm when I saw that happen, he seemed to walk it off ok at the time, but maybe an issue caused by this has come to light after a few days rest.

Great timing. Valery it is then, as I can't see us throwing a new signing in for Saturday (Even if we do make them in time).

Or maybe someone a bit more attacking...

31 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Bet they're hoping that gets done before the weekend, given KWP's injury...

This season just gets better and better and like a lingering fart in a lift, it's still fresh and new. What other delights do we have in store... kidnapping of JWP perhaps? Arse fallout for Aribo? (I don't know if that's a medical thing but it sounded like something that would keep a player off football)

Losing KWP is like losing two players. Oh wait, we have Valery to slot in there. Yay. :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

A loan makes no sense because we'd need two strikers if he left, but we wouldn't have any fee from Adams so our financial muscle is then limited in order to buy 2.

That would confuse the hell out of me.

Edited by S-Clarke

2 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Smart, strengthen a rival and don't even get the money for it.

Ralph is playing 8D chess :smug:

Is it him though? I doubt it, all I can imagine is he wants someone badly and has been told to raise the funds from within? Also, if he is on the thin ice it would seem he is would he be empowered to make long term decisions?

• Like 1

If true that is absolute insanity. Can you imagine any other club loaning, let alone selling, their best striker to a potential relegation rival?

My genuine concern is that those at the club don’t see us as being down the wrong end of the table this season and so are taking the view that, in the long term, it’ll be fine to ship Che out to Everton. When Les et al were here there was an air of arrogance that they knew best even when the moves they were making made no sense and led to ostensibly bad outcomes on the pitch. I hope that has changed under SR and they have a proven goal scorer (or two) up their sleeve because at the moment, and looking at our starting XI on Saturday, we are far short of what’s going to be required to stay in this league.

Think we're getting our knickers in a twist over fairly spurious Tweet!  "Exploring.  Publicly stating not for sale" etc  I don't think anyone at the club is mental enough to think we can manage a season with one recognised (and average) striker.

Even if the alternative is to have two fairly average strikers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Greedyfly said:

Think we're getting our knickers in a twist over fairly spurious Tweet!  "Exploring.  Publicly stating not for sale" etc  I don't think anyone at the club is mental enough to think we can manage a season with one recognised (and average) striker.

Even if the alternative is to have two fairly average strikers.

There's no smoke without fire though, this Che Adams leaving stuff doesn't seem to be going away. Plus he didn't play at the weekend and he didn't really feature in pre-season, something is up - weather that's born out from him wanting a change or ourselves needing to raise money.

The people who run SR are smart though, I can't see them leaving us in a weaker position. Sept 2nd will tell all.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

There's no smoke without fire though, this Che Adams leaving stuff doesn't seem to be going away. Plus he didn't play at the weekend and he didn't really feature in pre-season, something is up - weather that's born out from him wanting a change or ourselves needing to raise money.

The people who run SR are smart though, I can't see them leaving us in a weaker position. Sept 2nd will tell all.

huge assumption there

• Like 1