Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

1 hour ago, Appy said:

There’s no smoke without fire, they’re not just making up that Adams could leave 

"No smoke without fire is a ridiculous phrase and is deeply flawed to use. Would you be happy with someone using it about you if you were wrongfully accused of something?

Media can = a smoke machine and smoke machines do not have any fire 🔥 

How I Met Your Mother Smoking GIF by Laff

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 2

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

"No smoke without fire is a ridiculous phrase and us deeply flawed to use. Would you be happy with someone using it about you if you were wrongfully accused of something?

No one is being accused of anything you weirdo, it’s media reports, not a criminal case. 

• Haha 10
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Appy said:

There’s no smoke without fire, they’re not just making up that Adams could leave 

I think its obvious that the club want to sell Adam's if the right offer comes in. Semmen's didn't deny that last night tbh. What he did say (at the Fan's forum) was that "Che won't be going to Everton on loan"... The athletic ran a piece before the fan's forum saying we would reiterate a stance that we weren't actively looking to sell him, but that behind the scenes the stance is he'll be sold at the right price. Now unless that is complete make believe from the athletic (which has not been the style of Dan Sheldon, Carl Anka, or Jacob to date), that information can only have come from sources in the know - and we will likely see Che Adams leave (subject to interested parties).

I don't for one second think we'd sell Che and not have a replacement lined up either.

So in summation - I think the only reasons anyone should be stressing over the Che Adam's rumours, is if they are either scared about us keeping him for the season, or about our ability to replace him adequately.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Saint86 said:

I think its obvious that the club want to sell Adam's if the right offer comes in. Semmen's didn't deny that last night tbh. What he did say (at the Fan's forum) was that "Che won't be going to Everton on loan"... The athletic ran a piece before the fan's forum saying we would reiterate a stance that we weren't actively looking to sell him, but that behind the scenes the stance is he'll be sold at the right price. Now unless that is complete make believe from the athletic (which has not been the style of Dan Sheldon, Carl Anka, or Jacob to date), that information can only have come from sources in the know - and we will likely see Che Adams leave (subject to interested parties).

Agreed, thought it was very telling he said “he won’t be going on loan” at the time. 

Obviously SR purchased saints with a masterplan in mind, but as time goes by I am struggling to see how any of it is going to improve us on the pitch. In fact I think this is the most unprepared we have been at the start of a season since being back in the PL. 

With a manager who has run out of ideas and the two most important positions in the squad still not catered for and a season already underway, this all adds up to a major clusterfuck. 

Clearly it would be good to buy all the players you need on the opening day of the transfer window and have a full preseason with them. Sometimes that is possible if all parties agree. But it seems some fans think that if we don't do that then there is something wrong with our recruitment. 

Do people not realise that there are a lot of factors. Maybe the selling club doesn't actually want to sell. Or maybe they want to hold on to the player as long as possible in order to push up the price. 

Maybe the player doesn't want to rush into a decision, he wants to see who else comes in for him and he can afford to if he has a contract. Sometimes the buying club doesn't want to appear too keen. The subtleties are endless. It's not a case of "We want a CB, why don't we just go buy one".  Well you can I suppose if you want your pants pulled down on every deal. 

I'm as worried and critical of the club as anyone else - but I will at least wait til the window is closed to evaluate our business. There are deals that selling clubs just won't do until the last day. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

So in summation - I think the only reasons anyone should be stressing over the Che Adam's rumours, is if they are either scared about us keeping him for the season, or about our ability to replace him adequately.

Well we didn't hit a home run replacing Ings with Armstrong. We also haven't replaced Broja with anyone yet (assuming Mara is the Long replacement). Good forwards are also notoriously expensive so replacing our highest scoring forward of last season if we only get £15m for him as well as having to replace Broja and reinforce other areas despite having already spent £45m+ this window seems a difficult prospect for a club of our relatively limited finances (and seemingly no interest from teams for our other players bar JWP and KWP).

I still don't see a good reason for selling him unless he's refused a new contract and actively wants a move (which there's been nothing to suggest is the case so far). He's our highest scoring forward, works well in a 2-up front formation and if we really want to improve on him as a starter would still make a good option to come off the bench (in fact he is the only player to come off the bench and score in both of the last 2 seasons). It smacks of Ralph losing faith in him and deciding he's expendable despite him being stats wise clearly the best of our forward options. Being that he himself may only be a handful of bad results away from being sacked i'm not sure i'd trust him to make such a risky decision.

• Like 1

I don't if it's just me. but the more I read this forum,the more it seems that Saints must have the most depressing, negative fanbase in the country. I regularly come on here looking for news/views and a bit of banter etc, but end up being more depressed than I am after ANY Saints game. It was interesting at the Forum last night that although there was a very large crowd there,(much larger than I was expecting), there was a lot more positivity toward the people that run the club than there is on here. None of the keyboard warriors with their "this/he is wank/shite" stuff seemed to be in attendance. They can't have all been "happy-clappers" or whatever the current name is, there last night. I am very frustrated at the way the player recruitment seems to have stalled, but will be patient, give SR, the new coaching staff, Joe Shields and Ralph until the end of the window and a few games more before I go down "wank/shite" road.

• Like 19

43 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

That isn't the club's fault. So harsh to label them a shambles due to conflicting media reports.

Transcript from last night, all Semmens confirms is he will not go on loan.

“I understand the question but 90 per cent of what you see in the media is not true,” Semmens responded.

“The fact that Everton are trying to take our striker on loan or something is not real, it won’t happen, don’t worry about that.

“From our perspective we are massively comfortable with everyone we bring in, with everyone who is here and we look forward to working with them.

“We will always do what is right and if somebody leaves it will be for the right reasons,” he added.

“I wouldn’t get too worried about an agent, Sky Sports or Twitter, that’s why most of our signings you haven’t heard of – so that one isn’t true, don’t worry.”

10 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

I don't if it's just me. but the more I read this forum,the more it seems that Saints must have the most depressing, negative fanbase in the country. I regularly come on here looking for news/views and a bit of banter etc, but end up being more depressed than I am after ANY Saints game. It was interesting at the Forum last night that although there was a very large crowd there,(much larger than I was expecting), there was a lot more positivity toward the people that run the club than there is on here. None of the keyboard warriors with their "this/he is wank/shite" stuff seemed to be in attendance. They can't have all been "happy-clappers" or whatever the current name is, there last night. I am very frustrated at the way the player recruitment seems to have stalled, but will be patient, give SR, the new coaching staff, Joe Shields and Ralph until the end of the window and a few games more before I go down "wank/shite" road.

Something to do with 5 points in 39 and no sign of the manager knowing his best line up or ability to change that?

I still want Ralph to succeed but he is making that bloody difficult too

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

I think this forum and social media in general will always bring out the more 'vocal' fans (lunatic fringe!!! joke), you'll never get those sorts at a fan forum and the questions will always be a little more muted than you'd see on here.

I agree that some of the negativity and content posted on here and social media in general is frustrating to sift through at times, especially when people take 'gossip' as gospel and spin it to mean the worst possible news, or they make up/readjust the truth to make their own argument sit a little better. 

I can see why people are a little bit apprehensive, that's probably a better way to put it. We go into this season on the back of losing pretty much every week for 3 months. I'm personally happy that the club haven't sat on their hands and have tried to make changes on the back of that, but the apprehension comes from the lack of experience in the signings we've made and the fact we are still having to start players like Moussa and Valery, that doesn't scream huge progress. I know the buck stops with Ralph and as with most football fans, changing the manager will fix it all, but I do think we need to give this a bit more time as there have been changes to adjust to.

But like you say and something i also agree with, the end of the window will look different. It often does. The club aren't daft enough to finish the window thinking that Adams and Armstrong are going to 'make the difference' up top, as Ralph keeps alluding to. So we need to show patience, but I can see why people find it difficult to show patience when we've been losing for months - but all I'd say is that we're approaching this season slightly differently, forget last season and let's see where we are come October before we all start jumping out of windows. 

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think this forum and social media in general will always bring out the more 'vocal' fans (lunatic fringe!!! joke), you'll never get those sorts at a fan forum and the questions will always be a little more muted than you'd see on here.

I agree that some of the negativity and content posted on here and social media in general is frustrating to sift through at times, especially when people take 'gossip' as gospel and spin it to mean the worst possible news, or they make up/readjust the truth to make their own argument sit a little better. 

I can see why people are a little bit apprehensive, that's probably a better way to put it. We go into this season on the back of losing pretty much every week for 3 months. I'm personally happy that the club haven't sat on their hands and have tried to make changes on the back of that, but the apprehension comes from the lack of experience in the signings we've made and the fact we are still having to start players like Moussa and Valery, that doesn't scream huge progress. I know the buck stops with Ralph and as with most football fans, changing the manager will fix it all, but I do think we need to give this a bit more time as there have been changes to adjust to.

But like you say and something i also agree with, the end of the window will look different. It often does. The club aren't daft enough to finish the window thinking that Adams and Armstrong are going to 'make the difference' up top, as Ralph keeps alluding to. So we need to show patience, but I can see why people find it difficult to show patience when we've been losing for months - but all I'd say is that we're approaching this season slightly differently, forget last season and let's see where we are come October before we all start jumping out of windows. 

Agreed, I think I’m willing to give Ralph until November at the most. The noise around the club indicates that we want at least another striker and 10, but it’s worrying when you see those players in that bracket going to clubs around us for prices that we could afford such as Sarr, Cornet etc. Not to say we weren’t after them, but you’d be hoping we can wrap up deals asap. Still think we massively lack a centre back if we can get rid of an existing one of Stephens/Bednarek/Lyanco who can Marshall the defence, if we were going to stick with a 5, Coady would have been perfect but i can see why Everton was more appealing with his home links. 

7 minutes ago, Midlandsaint said:

Agreed, I think I’m willing to give Ralph until November at the most. The noise around the club indicates that we want at least another striker and 10, but it’s worrying when you see those players in that bracket going to clubs around us for prices that we could afford such as Sarr, Cornet etc. Not to say we weren’t after them, but you’d be hoping we can wrap up deals asap. Still think we massively lack a centre back if we can get rid of an existing one of Stephens/Bednarek/Lyanco who can Marshall the defence, if we were going to stick with a 5, Coady would have been perfect but i can see why Everton was more appealing with his home links. 

Not sure if this is misguided optimism or not, but I can see another 3 maybe 4 new additions (with 2 or 3 going out). I think we're pretty close to a new full back to provide cover, maybe even first choice at RB with KWP going to LB. (if he's not badly injured).

We will almost certainly buy another striker. But a new number 10 and a new CB will only come in if we shift a few of this lot - Redmond/Moussa/Theo/Tella/Stephens/Valery/Bednarek/Lyanco etc. It's possible, I think the next couple of weeks will be quite busy.

We got a lot of our business done early which we haven't been able to do before, but it's almost always the case the more sought after positions get filled later in the windows. If we had all the money to throw at more proven players we'd have done it by now for sure, but by waiting it out you can sometimes get changes in circumstances with the fees and even availability of players on loan etc.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Nolan said:

It's clearly the media who are the shambles, rather than the club.

Hammer... Nail... Hit! Spot on! And don't give me the crap about some sources being more believable than others. Sky, The Athletic, The Daily Fail, The Scum, The Torygraph, even Fabrizio Romano - they all make up stories when they have nothing to write. That's how they make their money!

54 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Case in point: The Athletic - the other day they were saying that Forest were in talks to sign Adams, but now suddenly they are going for Emmanuel Dennis! The reality is probably that someone, somewhere, associated with Forest may have mentioned an interest in Adams and suddenly that is changed to become 'they are in talks'. It is all crap and some of our fans need to get a life if they believe everything they read! We have seen it with the media backing for this dreadful government and we see it every season in the transfer window. My advice: Don't waste your money buying them!

40 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

Again - spot on! I just wish we had more positive fans who would get behind the club and our players instead of criticising at the first opportunity. All we are doing when we do that is falling into a narrative set by the blue few down the road. Sadly, I suspect there are a few of those among us who, embarassed by the failings of their own tin pot club, can only find pleasure by nurturing division and criticism among the Saints fanbase.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't ever say anything critical - but it does concern me that there are some fans who never have anything positive to say; and this forum has probably got more than your average number of fans who are that way inclined! Sadly, it is why a fair number of loyal Saints fans cannot stand to read this forum or any of the other ones.

Anyway, rant over!!!!! Let's get back to what this particular stream of the forum is supposed to be about - transfer rumours! Anyone got any good ones? Of course, let's take whatever they may be with a little bit of a pinch of salt!! :)

Edited by SaintJackoInHurworth
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Normally on transfer deadline day, the reporter in Sky Sports News says "No activity expected at Saints, all the office staff have gone home".

It should be different this year, so that's something to look forward to I suppose.

Hmmm.....Ings, Walcott, Minamino, Gabbiadini, Mane, Alderweireld, all signed on deadline days...I'm fully expecting us to do business on deadline day as we normally do...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

"No smoke without fire is a ridiculous phrase and is deeply flawed to use. Would you be happy with someone using it about you if you were wrongfully accused of something?

How I Met Your Mother Smoking GIF by Laff

The Athletic is pretty high up there as far as journalistic integrity is concerned, I know Dan/Carl used to ensure that there was truth in rumours before any info was released and many ‘rumours’ were not used as there wasn’t enough public info to corroborate it

So yes… Id say in this case ‘no smoke without fire’ is a reasonable term to use

Little bit more confirmation on this one -

Saints winger Tella agrees Burnley loan

Southampton winger Nathan Tella has agreed to join Burnley on a season-long loan.

The 23-year-old academy graduate has made 33 Premier League appearances for the Saints.

He made 14 last season mostly from the left-wing, but he can also plan on the right and as a second striker.

Tellas was once in Arsenal’s academy before moving to Southampton in 2017. 

13 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

What are your thoughts on the moon landings?

Or the Earth being round?

Ooh. So negative. Neggy neggy. Fareham neggy. It’s hardly a conspiracy theory is it? Hoping that one loan allows us to benefit from another? You can put me on ignore if you want. Or just keep on being a muppet. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Saint Billy said:

Obviously SR purchased saints with a masterplan in mind, but as time goes by I am struggling to see how any of it is going to improve us on the pitch. In fact I think this is the most unprepared we have been at the start of a season since being back in the PL. 

With a manager who has run out of ideas and the two most important positions in the squad still not catered for and a season already underway, this all adds up to a major clusterfuck. 

How do you feel the master plan will sit if we get relegated?

3 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Wow, The Athletic is on one already this morning:

”A new CM will come in if Diallo leaves” - news to me.

”Saints want to recoup the £15m they paid for Che Adams” - thought he was not for sale last night.

“A new CB will only come in but the club will have to shift one or two current CB’s first” - we all know on MS and ABK are worth keeping there.

”The club are in the hunt for a number ten and a striker” - no shit, nothing like leaving it late and not giving them a pre-season.

🤣👍🏻

Didn’t We spend all summer trying to get rid of shitnarek. Now we’ve got to get rid of 2. Not sure I see that happening.

Diallo one seems slightly odd. Didn’t have a great season but you’d think he’s young enough to persist with as cover to our first choice mids.

45 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Fixed it for you 🤗

1 hour ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Can he play wingback 🤷🏻‍♂️

If he’s part of our squad then he has a chance of playing wingback, his suitability will be irrelevant.

Just like our midfielders are now strikers.

Edited by northam soul

26 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Didn’t We spend all summer trying to get rid of shitnarek. Now we’ve got to get rid of 2. Not sure I see that happening.

Diallo one seems slightly odd. Didn’t have a great season but you’d think he’s young enough to persist with as cover to our first choice mids.

Bednarek should have been dropped last season the minute he said he couldn’t play because he had an international coming up, that shows a lack of commitment and respect in my opinion. He should have been first out when the transfer window opened. 

Anyone heard any striker rumours regarding Southampton? I bet we end up with another bang average championship or foreign equivalent striker who “needs time” to adjust etc etc blah….

Oh and Matthew, don’t even bother quoting me you insufferable bellend !!

Ralph in today's pre-match press conference: "Categorically, we will not be loaning Che Adams to anyone this season.....but there isn't any club that doesn't consider offers for players that might be too good to turn down" (or words to that effect)

Edited by trousers

Just now, trousers said:

Ralph in today's pre-match press conference: "Categorically, we will not be loaning Che Adams to anyone this season.....but there isn't any club that doesn't consider offers for players that might be too good to turn down" (or words to that effect)

He’s off then 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, trousers said:

Same hymn sheet as Semmens then…

14 minutes ago, trousers said:

👋👋👋Che...good luck. 

Tella out on loan, Che linked away (and no 'not for sale' message from the club).

They must be pretty confident of securing some attacking players. The ones we've been linked with earlier in the summer still haven't made moves.

• Confused 1