Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Continue doing what? The club have stated they intend to buy more players this month. What else do you want?

We've spent the summer strengthening the spine - 2 keepers, a CB, a DM, an AM and a Striker. We basically still need another CB, FB, AM and at least one striker if not two.

Going well this transfer window. 😁 (It is, I'm being deliberately specious. Of course we'll bring in one more striker.)

• Like 1

Tella moving on loan makes sense for everyone. There are clearly some more attackers coming in, his game time is going to be limited and he stagnated massively last year as it was. And let's be honest, he's not really good enough to make a difference for us at the moment - so I'm glad we're looking to move those guys on, to create space for players who can actually improve us at this moment.

I'm not sure if he'll ever make it as a PL player, but he needs game time. Getting regular football at a club aiming for promotion is a positive for him, look forward to seeing how he and Smallbone do.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

I honestly think Tella has a bit of something about him, so some regular game time seems like a sensible idea.

Funnily enough, I posted a couple of weeks ago I thought he needed a loan move.  For me, a little bit like Smallbone, it's felt like "this is his season to kick-on" for the last 2 or 3 seasons.  Loan moves will do them both good.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SuperSAINT said:

Funnily enough, I posted a couple of weeks ago I thought he needed a loan move.  For me, a little bit like Smallbone, it's felt like "this is his season to kick-on" for the last 2 or 3 seasons.  Loan moves will do them both good.

He probably should have gone on loan last season really, it ended up being a a bit of a waste for him in the end.

5 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

I'm inclined to agree but quick top of head question... Of all the players we've sent out on loan over, say, the last 5 years (and played well whilst on loan) have come back to the club and forged a regular place in the first team? I actually can't think of one off the top of my head. (My memory is pretty poor these days so there must have been at least one or two I'd have thought). Which makes me wonder whether sending a player out on loan is more likely than not to signal the end of their top flight career rather than something that rejuvenates them? (Typically)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, trousers said:

I'm inclined to agree but quick top of head question... Of all the players we've sent out on loan over, say, the last 5 years (and played well whilst on loan) have come back to the club and forged a regular place in the first team? I actually can't think of one off the top of my head. (My memory is pretty poor these days so there must have been at least one or two I'd have thought)

(Arguably) Moi.

1 minute ago, trousers said:

I'm inclined to agree but quick top of head question... Of all the players we've sent out on loan over, say, the last 5 years (and played well whilst on loan) have come back to the club and forged a regular place in the first team? I actually can't think of one off the top of my head. (My memory is pretty poor these days so there must have been at least one or two I'd have thought)

Unfortunately they’re not near the level required, whether that’s in ability, application or the mental aptitude required. If they were, they’d make a consistent impact in the first team, or at very least show regular signs of being able to cope with first-team Premier League football. Anyone who has been good enough does this and gets a move away, or in the case of JWP, cements his place in the squad, then moves to be a regular. 

It’s great to see young players make it, but it’s okay to acknowledge when they’re unlikely to ever cut it. 

5 minutes ago, trousers said:

I'm inclined to agree but quick top of head question... Of all the players we've sent out on loan over, say, the last 5 years (and played well whilst on loan) have come back to the club and forged a regular place in the first team? I actually can't think of one off the top of my head. (My memory is pretty poor these days so there must have been at least one or two I'd have thought). Which makes me wonder whether sending a player out on loan is more likely than not to signal the end of their top flight career rather than something that rejuvenates them? (Typically)

I guess the fact that we've got 4 AM in last year of their contract may mean there's more chance next season if they do well. Until we shockingly renew Walcott & Co.

11 minutes ago, trousers said:

SuperSAINT mentions Moi....but also Fraser, he was on loan at Celtic and did eventually forge a place in our side as a first team player. But true, it doesn't happen too often - certainly not with the young players. I find when we loan out a 'young' player it's almost the start of their slow exit from the club.

Vokins, Ramsay, Slattery, Reed, Gallagher to name just a few.

Edited by S-Clarke

9 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

Was Gallagher the last player we loaned to the championship? Most seem to have been L1 at best over recent seasons apart from the first team members leaving the country on loan.

Valery to Birmingham I think and he couldn’t get in their team 

41 minutes ago, Appy said:

Good move for him, about his level, never seen anything to suggest he should be a regular in the Premier League

Not sure I agree. There was that period at the end of 20/21 season where he was given some gametime by Ralph and looked easily our best winger (not much competition I admit). Was unplayable in the win away to Sheff Utd and contributed quite a bit during the run in where he also scored against Fulham. He has plenty of qualities and only just turned 23. A loan is definitely best for his development at this stage

1 minute ago, Toon Saint said:

Leeds signing Ismailia Sarr from Watford for around £15m. Another relegation rival signing proven PL pedigree without breaking the bank. Who knew? 

We should just be grateful we have another season in the premier league!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Targett went on loan to Fulham and did very well - but we probably shouldn't have sold him to Villa.  Still think we would have been better keeping him and selling Bertrand (rather than letting Ryan leave for free) in the long run

With Tino having a long term injury and Perraud carrying an injury we really needed to sign a left back and a right back before the season started.  Having not done so means we only have 2 fit first team full backs which is just not enough (I'm not counting Valery, Ramsey or Vokins)

Plus in all likelihood we will sell KWP next summer when he only has 2 years left on his contract so we need a successor anyway.

And if KWP is injured we really are in trouble. That means we will start a second game in a row with only one fit fullback.

On another note I can see us selling Adams to Leeds after we play them at the weekend coz we need the cash to spend on new players as we can't sell the players we really want to and his value is only going to go down from here.

1 hour ago, Toon Saint said:

Leeds signing Ismailia Sarr from Watford for around £15m. Another relegation rival signing proven PL pedigree without breaking the bank. Who knew? 

Good signing. Its ok we've got Djenepo, Redmond and Elyounoussi 🙃

1 hour ago, Toon Saint said:

That is a fantastic signing to fill the Raphinha hole and at a good price

Im hoping Tella to Burnley means we can go back to City for Delap, although again he is unproven… Id prefer Nmencha or Kaladjzic 

Id also again like us to look at Kouyate, Brooks or Zagadou.. all good, free CBs with decent pedigree

Edited by Smirking_Saint

4 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

That is a fantastic signing to fill the Raphinha hole and at a good price

Im hoping Tella to Burnley means we can go back to City for Delap, although again he is unproven… Id prefer Nmencha or Kaladjzic 

Id also again like us to look at Kouyate, Brooks or Zagadou.. all good, free CBs with decent pedigree

perhaps a cheeky loan bid for Mings, with a OTB.

11 hours ago, Appy said:

Valery to Birmingham I think and he couldn’t get in their team 

Not true, Valery got in the Birmingham team straightaway, played 7 times for them, but they brought in Lee Bowyer and he was never included again, possibly because he criticised his new teammates, possibly just Bowyer not wanting him, anyway he was frozen out, not because he wasn't good enough.

7 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Not true, Valery got in the Birmingham team straightaway, played 7 times for them, but they brought in Lee Bowyer and he was never included again, possibly because he criticised his new teammates, possibly just Bowyer not wanting him, anyway he was frozen out, not because he wasn't good enough.

Birmingham fans were openly saying how bad he was, so I think your last few words are probably wrong.

8 hours ago, DT said:

Charlie Austin tells Talksport we will go down and Hassenhuttl the first manager to go. Bears. Woods. 

And he would love that - but he might just be right.

it’s hard to see 3 teams with worse squads than us - maybe Bournemouth and Fulham.

Forest probably don’t have better players but they have much better squad depth and seem to still be strengthening

Leeds have added the squad depth they were missing and if they can keep key players like Bamford fit they probably have the edge on us - and look like they will add more players 

Brentford lost Eriksen but have strengthened everywhere they needed to this season - and have just added Damsgaard on top of that - the have had a great transfer window 

Everton and Wolves will struggle this season but both are spending £30M plus on players  - and will probably keep spending

we are going to have to hope Forest’s gamble fails spectacularly  - or that one of Everton and Wolves have an injury crisis or a collapse of some sort

and it looks like we have run out of cash and are now dependent on selling players to bring others in or looking at loans

but if we are going to survive this season we are going to need to add players to the relatively limited (in both ways) squad we have right now

I’d quite happily see us move move on players like Diallo, Valery, Bednarek, Adam Armstrong and McCarthy if it meant we could bring new players in - maybe even Adams too as he is one of the few saleable assets we have

Lirola would be a start at right back but let’s hope they bring Caleta-Car back from Marseille with him

and if KWP is injured we should take another look at getting Issa Kabore on loan from Citeh

it looks like Kaladzjic will be going to a bigger club than us so we should go after Joshua Zirkzee whilst he is still available and then try for someone like Nmecha as well if we have the cash or someone like Broja on loan again

the same with Hudson-Odoi - he’ll probably stay in London - so we should go after Edozie from Citeh again who we were linked with before to add some depth and the fee was supposed relatively low at £5M (and hope Moi, Walcott and Redmond can give us a little bit more this season)

We still need a left back from somewhere and another player in defensive midfield to provide cover as Diallo just isn’t good enough

I’d be tempted to go for Ampadu on loan from Chelsea as he can also cover centre back and right back 

• Like 1

Wow, The Athletic is on one already this morning:

”A new CM will come in if Diallo leaves” - news to me.

”Saints want to recoup the £15m they paid for Che Adams” - thought he was not for sale last night.

“A new CB will only come in but the club will have to shift one or two current CB’s first” - we all know on MS and ABK are worth keeping there.

”The club are in the hunt for a number ten and a striker” - no shit, nothing like leaving it late and not giving them a pre-season.

🤣👍🏻

Just now, DT said:

Is this hour we are selling Che hour or we are not selling Che hour? Club is a shambles. 

I think the only place the club is a shambles is in your head

Unless you work at SFC you have little idea what is happening with regard to transfers and planning for the future

You might find it strange but I usually think that people employed in an organization are doing the best to meet the goals of it apart of course for Boris and the Tory Government

SFC has limited financial muscle but still manages a few cup runs and has been in the PL for a longtime which makes me think it is not a shambles

Because it does not have money for high wages it is pretty difficult for SFC to attract the better players and has to sell players

• Like 7