Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

7 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Not bothered if Adams goes.  Poor finisher and gives the ball away too much.

No point letting him go without signing a replacement though.  We are 1 striker short as it is.

That just isn't true. He's one of the best players we have at holding on to the ball by any means necessary and bringing others into play, or winning a foul.

• Like 14

12 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

The overating of che adams is crazy imo he’s part of the problem not the solution, saying he’s the best of our strikers is like picking your favourite STD.

all he’s done in his time here has proved he’s  gonna get about 5-8 goals a season which sucks for a striker.

the money we get for him could sign the next Danny ings type that could actually score goals for us

Sshhh! Don't tell whoever wants to buy Che as they'll be wanting to do that instead.......

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Or maybe we'd get someone who scores less? Like Patson Daka, Eduardo, Ineancho, Werner or even Armando Broja........

Broja is a kid still and his potential is insane if you can’t see he’s got a much higher ceiling then adams I don’t know what to say to you.  The fact that you got West Ham Everton and some Spanish side looking at broja whilst adams get forest says something too 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Losing Che at this stage would be pretty ridiculous. I'd somewhat understand it if we'd already built in a readymade striker, but leaving our goalscoring down to our current options is pretty incredible.

He's not a great player, nor will he ever be I imagine, but to spend £15m~ on a player, form him into a good level PL striker and then sell him off to a relegation rival for £15m~ is utterly laughable. If somebody can teach the bloke to finish he'll be quality.

2 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Broja is a kid still and his potential is insane if you can’t see he’s got a much higher ceiling then adams I don’t know what to say to you.  The fact that you got West Ham Everton and some Spanish side looking at broja whilst adams get forest says something too 

maybe he has but there are no guarentees. As for Everton being linked, you do know they finished below us last season. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, whiteleySaint30 said:

Not sure if your aware but the season has started already and by 01 September we will have played 5 games. Try attracting half decent players later in the window if we continue our bad start................

Good point. Man U having a similar problem. I hope we can strengthen the team and I would like to see them played in position and Ralph getting a grip. Ever the optimist! 

20 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

That just isn't true. He's one of the best players we have at holding on to the ball by any means necessary and bringing others into play, or winning a foul.

Not from what I’ve seen.  Remember a massive fuck-up against Palace that led to a goal.

He may be one of the best we have at holding the ball, but he’s still shit at it.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

maybe he has but there are no guarentees. As for Everton being linked, you do know they finished below us last season. 

we signed che for 15 m from Birmingham off the back of a 22 goal season at brum, imo we did that hoping he could be our goal scorer at prem level, he started poorly lost his place to Danny ings who adams was in front of when we signed him and hasn’t ever looked like a good finisher.

Red tinted specs point to his other attributes which is fair enough but but Shane long had attributes too. Both bring something to the team sure but both are also wasteful and not to be relied on.. 

since we bought adams for 15m (which is a fair amount for us) on the back of that 22 goal season do you think he’s. Been a success? Serious question cos we have a chance to get our money back and try again if the answer is no?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Not from what I’ve seen.  Remember a massive fuck-up against Palace that led to a goal.

He may be one of the best we have at holding the ball, but he’s still shit at it.

I don't know what fuck-up you mean so I'll just respectfully disagree.

2 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

we signed che for 15 m from Birmingham off the back of a 22 goal season at brum, imo we did that hoping he could be our goal scorer at prem level, he started poorly lost his place to Danny ings who adams was in front of when we signed him and hasn’t ever looked like a good finisher.

Red tinted specs point to his other attributes which is fair enough but but Shane long had attributes too. Both bring something to the team sure but both are also wasteful and not to be relied on.. 

since we bought adams for 15m (which is a fair amount for us) on the back of that 22 goal season do you think he’s. Been a success? Serious question cos we have a chance to get our money back and try again if the answer is no?

£15m is fuck all. 

In terms of strikers signed last season alone:

Ings (circa £30m) - 7 league goals, same as Che

Weghorst (circa £15m) - 2 league goals in half a season

Lukaku (circa £100m) - 8 league goals

Edouard (circa £15m) - 6 league goals

Daka (circa £27m) - 5 league goals

Wood (circa £25m) - 2 league goals in half a season

I think alongside someone else, Che can be the perfect second striker. We saw glimpses of that with Ings.

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Actually, yeah, I think for 15M Adams has been a success and I think he could get better as well.  There's also a bit of context around this as well, which is whether you think it's a good move to sell your best striker and gamble on two new ones.  If you think we can get better then fair play to you, appears as if SR agree with you.  At this stage I'm doubtful but I guess we'll see.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Chez said:

Is the potential Che sale so that we can sign a player that 'better fits Ralph's system'?

I'd of thought that would need justifying as we seem to have given up on his 4222  - or is the use of 3 CBs just going to be used against the better sides? Let me rephrase, against the PL sides?

I fixed it for you.

8 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

I think it would be a mistake to sell him. If we need to ship out some deadwood, he isn't one of them

Realistically, which players are sellable and will bring in, say £20+? JWP, KWP, Salisu, Che...?

If we need to sell to buy, which of those would you prefer we sell?

Players like McCarthy, AA, Valery, Lyanco, Bednarek, Redmond, Theo, Diallo, Djenepo mike be preferable, but unless we get a bid, `shipping out' is just words.

I guess the other option would be to stick with what we have and sell no one. 

1 minute ago, Chez said:

Realistically, which players are sellable and will bring in, say £20+? JWP, KWP, Salisu, Che...?

If we need to sell to buy, which of those would you prefer we sell?

Players like McCarthy, AA, Valery, Lyanco, Bednarek, Redmond, Theo, Diallo, Djenepo mike be preferable, but unless we get a bid, `shipping out' is just words.

I guess the other option would be to stick with what we have and sell no one. 

It's just weird how we're needing to now sell to buy after having spent just under £30m on two players in Mara & ABK who seemingly aren't first team ready. Seems like we've gone about this window in a totally backwards way.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

It's just weird how we're needing to now sell to buy after having spent just under £30m on two players in Mara & ABK who seemingly aren't first team ready. Seems like we've gone about this window in a totally backwards way.

I’m not trying to be cute here, but where have you seen that we need to sell to buy? 

I just get the impression that he wants out and the club are happy to cash in on him. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Klaus Schwab said:

I’m not trying to be cute here, but where have you seen that we need to sell to buy? 

I just get the impression that he wants out and the club are happy to cash in on him. 

And we have someone else lined up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

I fixed it for you.

ha.

I hate 5 at the back. It's fine if you have forwards and attackers that are brilliant, but with our lot, it just means one less attacker. I also think a lot of players simply don't know where to be, who they are marking, what the are doing.

I can understand why we tried it. We shipped goals last season, so we needed to add bodies back there, but overall, I just don't think we play well with it. As soon as I saw we were playing it during pre season, I thought we had `given in' and weren't going to put to put the end of last season behind us. I had hoped that refreshed, we'd have a new skip in our step, possibly, and look to take teams on, again.

If I don't see positivity against Leeds, then I am going to be concerned. Not sure how easy it will be for the side to switch from a defensive frame of my mind to an attacking one overnight. That's what will be asked of them. I guess the alternative is just keep attacking and risk getting slaughtered against the top sides and criticism for being too rigid.

Fingers crossed we can do it, but if not then the whole preseason and tactical switch will start to be questioned. It's one game. I know. Win against Leeds and things will be rosey in the garden. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, manji said:

And we have someone else lined up.

In all honesty, I genuinely believe we’ll end up with 2 strikers. It’s not like a) we’re the only ones that know there’s a gigantic issue up front & b) SR will gamble with relegation for the sake of another 30-50 million in our most important position. 

They’re just waiting on the right options. Strikers are by far the hardest position to get right in my opinion. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

I would say that the combined fees are more like £20m than £30m, but you make a good point.

Until the window is complete it's difficult to make an assessment. I dare say we made bids for strikers at the start of the window, but we probably aimed high and failed.  It's not easy bringing in players. Whenever we do make a signing, I actually wonder, was that too easy and why did we get him. Why didn't someone else want him. The harder to get, the better the player, perhaps?

When we signed Armstrong last season I felt exactly the same. If he was shit hot, why isn't another Prem side signings him? It felt like we were the only ones in for him.  

The Che Adams one is an interesting one. Let's be honest here for a second, he's the best of a very, very bad bunch of attacking players we have at our disposal.

He has good physical attributes, but as a finisher I'd class him as very limited. Our best spells over the last couple of years have coincided with top strikers such as Ings and Broja having good spells in the side, whenever we have to rely on Adams for a period of time to produce our points return falls dramatically. 

I cannot see Che ever getting 10 goals or more at this level, and for a support player that's probably not too bad, but when we needed him to step up last year after Ings departure he didn't. 

I think there is some truth in that we're looking for players to sell who 1) have interest in them and 2) have somewhat of a usable value. We've spent quite a bit this summer without sales, my hunch is that we'd hoped we'd get takers on Redmond, Moussa, Theo, Bednarek etc to maybe bring some funds in and lower the wage bill - but no takers as they're rubbish, so like someone said above we now move onto the next lot of expendable players.

If we get the scouting right we should be able to find better than Che. I'd only have a problem with his sale if 1) we don't replace him or 2) the replacement is a kid.

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

and we paid a similar fee for Armstrong off the back of a 28 goal season and he's done worse, like I said no guarentees. Adams scored 9 the season before last and 7 last season, 6-10 goals is about what you'd expect for a £15m striker, there will be some who do better and plenty that do worse. If you seriously think we're going to spend £15m and find the next Alan Shearer then i'm afraid your highly likely to be disappointed. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

The Che Adams one is an interesting one. Let's be honest here for a second, he's the best of a very, very bad bunch of attacking players we have at our disposal.

He has good physical attributes, but as a finisher I'd class him as very limited. Our best spells over the last couple of years have coincided with top strikers such as Ings and Broja having good spells in the side, whenever we have to rely on Adams for a period of time to produce our points return falls dramatically. 

I cannot see Che ever getting 10 goals or more at this level, and for a support player that's probably not too bad, but when we needed him to step up last year after Ings departure he didn't. 

I think there is some truth in that we're looking for players to sell who 1) have interest in them and 2) have somewhat of a usable value. We've spent quite a bit this summer without sales, my hunch is that we'd hoped we'd get takers on Redmond, Moussa, Theo, Bednarek etc to maybe bring some funds in and lower the wage bill - but no takers as they're rubbish, so like someone said above we now move onto the next lot of expendable players.

If we get the scouting right we should be able to find better than Che. I'd only have a problem with his sale if 1) we don't replace him or 2) the replacement is a kid.

Although I agree with you, regardless of how much of a goalscorer he is, you still need more than one striker, even if we're only planning on playing 1 up front. 

I'd much rather try and get riid of Armstrong, bring in someone that can play alongside Adams or picked ahead of him, rather than losing him. He offers a lot outside of scoring goals, and helps us get up the pitch. When he doesn't play, we just cannot get our foot on th eball and get up the pitch into a more "comfortable" position.  We know that when we are under the cosh we will concede, because the defence is so poor.   I think he's been pretty decent signing, and is now an experienced striker in this league. I think getting rid of him is extremely shortsighted, unless we have someone lined up who is going to come in and be first choice from the off, but that would require changing transfer strategy which I dont see happening. 

Edited by Saint Garrett
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint Garrett said:

Although I agree with you, regardless of how much of a goalscorer he is, you still need more than one striker, even if we're only planning on playing 1 up front. 

I'd much rather try and get riid of Armstrong, bring in someone that can play alongside Adams or picked ahead of him, rather than losing him. He offers a lot outside of scoring goals, and helps us get up the pitch. When he doesn't play, we just cannot get our foot on th eball and get up the pitch into a more "comfortable" position.  We know that when we are under the cosh we will concede, because the defence is so poor. 

Oh for sure, I'd be totally expecting two strikers brought in if we don't keep Che. I'd also be disappointed if we only signed one.

We currently have a gap for 1 striker as we haven't replaced Broja, so logic dictates that we still need a Broja type and then a 'new' adams if he goes. I just hope the club aren't counting on Aribo being a number 9 though.

8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Let's not forget the flip side of this argument.  We get the scouting wrong and we get worse than Che.  Course you can shrug and say no great loss but it's the only thing we have going for us at the moment. 

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Oh for sure, I'd be totally expecting two strikers brought in if we don't keep Che. I'd also be disappointed if we only signed one.

We currently have a gap for 1 striker as we haven't replaced Broja, so logic dictates that we still need a Broja type and then a 'new' adams if he goes. I just hope the club aren't counting on Aribo being a number 9 though.

Yup, my concern is that too, with Redmond S Armstrong and Tella as alternative options...

I think we need to keep Che and go all out for a "goalscorer".

Just now, revolution saint said:

Let's not forget the flip side of this argument.  We get the scouting wrong and we get worse than Che.  Course you can shrug and say no great loss but it's the only thing we have going for us at the moment. 

That's the point. We have so many other positions that need strengthening or players that need bedding in across the team. Why would you risk weakening another one?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Given Ralph's ridiculous S.Armstrong is a striker nonsense that seems a forlorn hope

• Like 1

Just now, revolution saint said:

If we get the scouting wrong then we're done for, no beating around the bush on that. The next signings we make will make our break our immediate future. 

But I think the club are looking for better than Che and are using this opportunity to maximise return on him. Let's see how it looks at the end of the window.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Our best spells over the last couple of years have coincided with top strikers such as Ings and Broja having good spells in the side

I'm assuming you'd count Broja's good spell last season as his 6 goals in 16 games (matches 8-23) where our results were W6, D6, L4. Want to know how Adams compared last season? 7 goals in a 17 game stretch (matches 10-26) results of W7, D6, L4. If you're counting Broja as a 'top striker' based on current output then you have to count Adams in that bracket as well.

Regardless their good spells actually coincided with each other which is what got us the points we needed to stay up. Considering we only won 9 league games all season and the only one that didn't come in that spell was our last victory against Arsenal, not having either of them there probably would have seen us relegated. Of course Broja is already gone and with Adams potentially going you can understand the concern.

Or I suppose we could sell him and rely on our recruitment team to get a better striker in (and a replacement for Broja's goals as well), done well replacing Ings goals with Armstrong haven't they.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

The overating of che adams is crazy imo he’s part of the problem not the solution, saying he’s the best of our strikers is like picking your favourite STD.

all he’s done in his time here has proved he’s  gonna get about 5-8 goals a season which sucks for a striker.

the money we get for him could sign the next Danny ings type that could actually score goals for us

Look at the stats above, he was under used by our incumbent loon last year, his goals per minuets equates to approximately 1 goal every 3 games, nearly 13 goals a season. Who knows, had he been started every week he may even have improved on that? You add that to the  pathetic supply any of our strikers receives from the midfield and it's pretty impressive. 

Edited by Toussaint
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Klaus Schwab said:

Didn't we put a 20m bid in for delap after all the signings?. If so we don't need to sell first.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Thought I'd check and he was clearly our most productive attacker last year per 90:image.png.f2b3f4fd14738ddd80bf30b3290c9b3d.png

Not saying he's a superstar but he the best player in the squad at making goals happen - this is madness unless we have someone very good lined up.  For the record he had 0.47 G+A per 90 the previous season (and somewhat surprisingly 0.49 the season before).

Redmond gets stick but he created a few goals. Let alone chances created that our forwards didnt put away. Surely we are not blessed with with so many creators we can leave on the bench.

2 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Ahh yes… we’ll no doubt spend it well like we did on Carillo, Osvaldo, Armstrong and oh… Adams

2 hours ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Thought I'd check and he was clearly our most productive attacker last year per 90:image.png.f2b3f4fd14738ddd80bf30b3290c9b3d.png

Not saying he's a superstar but he the best player in the squad at making goals happen - this is madness unless we have someone very good lined up.  For the record he had 0.47 G+A per 90 the previous season (and somewhat surprisingly 0.49 the season before).

Almost double Broja’s output but apparently he is the answer

Thankfully none of these posters are on the recruitment team

28 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

If we get the scouting wrong then we're done for, no beating around the bush on that. The next signings we make will make our break our immediate future. 

But I think the club are looking for better than Che and are using this opportunity to maximise return on him. Let's see how it looks at the end of the window.

I agree with all that you say. My one caveat is your thought that we ought to wait till the end of the window to see how it looks.

The Club has had all summer to frame their strategy regarding new signings and who to let go. This transfer window ends in approx 4 weeks time. Bu then we will have played a number of games without an adequate " front man " if Adams is let go.

Avoiding relegation.....and in my opinion, that is all we can hope for again this season....is achieved by very small margins. Sometimes even goal difference.

I attended the match against Spurs on Saturday. Apart from the opneing 15 mins or so we were abysmal. The way we were opened up again and again was shocking. I think Spurs took their foot off the pedal with 30 mins to go ot it could have been alot more than 4.

The thing that stood out again and again in that match was Armstrongs inability to hold the ball up when we did try to get it to him. He is neither big enough, skilful enough or strong enough. It was crying out for Ralph to replace him with Adams.....and he didn't and the reasons have been dicussed enough on here.

So if Adams is let go and an " adequate " replacement is not found, then we could already be 5/7 points adrift at the bottom of the table by September. And we wont be able to get that back I believe.

So, it seemed the summer transfer strategy went quite well and has now fallen away and is looking suspect. We clearly haven't been able to getrid of some players ( you choose ) We have signed 4 promising young guys without alot of premier league experience.

We set our stall clearly on Delap and that now doesn't look promising. We seem to have given up on Broja.

Our side desperately needs goals and if we allow Adams to go.....and I know he wont ever score 12-15 per season......I think we will be in the deepest doo.

Just my 2 pennies worth as a fan of over 60 years. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

These next few weeks are absolutely critical for Saints. If we get this wrong we're gone. 

I'm a bit nervous to be honest. We need players to get goals. Let's face it, in the current setup we're not getting many (or any) clean sheets.

I'm hoping we've got a lot of irons in the fire but I'm not confident we do. Time will tell I guess. 

• Like 3

If you get your business done early and don't scrimp and save then you can hit the ground running and not have to play catch up for the potential 12 points you've dropped in the first month. We seem to never learn this. It also means you can only attract poorer players, given the league position. Of course, it doesn't help that even poor players can be given some kind of tactical base and formation by a manager who knows what he is doing. Which we don't have. We should have sacked him last season, and probably baulked at the compensation price, which is why we didn't do it. Now it looks like he is gagging for that compensation, or he really is clueless in terms of player selection. What a mess.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, DT said:

If you get your business done early and don't scrimp and save then you can hit the ground running

Were you asleep during our £58m outlay on 7 players before the start of the season, and even before pre-season in most of the cases? That's certainly not something you can wave at the club this summer.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, DT said:

If you get your business done early and don't scrimp and save then you can hit the ground running and not have to play catch up for the potential 12 points you've dropped in the first month. We seem to never learn this. It also means you can only attract poorer players, given the league position. Of course, it doesn't help that even poor players can be given some kind of tactical base and formation by a manager who knows what he is doing. Which we don't have. We should have sacked him last season, and probably baulked at the compensation price, which is why we didn't do it. Now it looks like he is gagging for that compensation, or he really is clueless in terms of player selection. What a mess.

Sign players before season (which we have done by the way, in case you’ve missed it) = they’re all too young, not good enough to help right now, we need better

Sign players after the season started (which we probably need to do to wait for the top players who don’t get the big moves they were hoping for) = wah wah wah why haven’t we got them sooner.

Oh, do you also think that the club will have baulked at sacking Ralph for the sake of a few million quid, when they’ve just spent best part of £60m on players?

The only mess I see is the yellow stain coming from your trousers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

25 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Not sure if it has been mentioned before, but what about a loan for Mings from Villa? Instantly raises the quality in the back line. Scope then to move on Lyanco for whatever fee we can get for him.  

How about you sell Lynanco or one of the ever increasing number of CBs and then we talk about how to upgrade him/them?

25 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Were you asleep during our £58m outlay on 7 players before the start of the season, and even before pre-season in most of the cases? That's certainly not something you can wave at the club this summer.

It was £46m, possibly. the club hasn't confirmed the pricing of any of the players that i am aware of.

23 minutes ago, TheMidfieldGeneral said:

Just a quick post

Nobody from the club reads your made up fantasy transfer news. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

you have zero experience in the real world of football and know nothing of what’s going on behind the scenes. 

just saying. 

Given what the club have done in the previous 2 seasons plus the current window, maybe they should pay attention to the forum.

35 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Not sure if it has been mentioned before, but what about a loan for Mings from Villa? Instantly raises the quality in the back line. Scope then to move on Lyanco for whatever fee we can get for him.  

Mings is clearly looking out at Villa, but I'm pretty sure that he would not consider Saints again, we fucked him off royally when Lowe released him.