Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

1 hour ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Yeah I thought he would be out of our league, but if Forest are in the running then I'd really hope we're all over it.

35 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

We need a leader at the back who can organise. But realistically who can we get? 

Any stand out names? 

We’ve only had all summer to address this, or explore the option of someone such as Gakpo. 

Three weeks of the window left, and one poor performance and heavy defeat later, we’re still scratching around. 

1 hour ago, ally_uk said:

We need a leader at the back who can organise. But realistically who can we get? 

Any stand out names? 

Was hoping we’d go for Ćaleta-Car when we signed Daddy-Ketchup, as in last year of his deal at Marseille. Would be just what we need, but there you go, over the saints  hill at 25! 

9 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Was hoping we’d go for Ćaleta-Car when we signed Daddy-Ketchup, as in last year of his deal at Marseille. Would be just what we need, but there you go, over the saints  hill at 25! 

I wonder why no one else has yet? He was on my list of potentials at the start of the window too, he was linked to WHU but that never materialised. Like you said, last year of his deal, available in the 15m ball park. Not over the hill old, and at that right age of player we need to add.

I do think we need to shift at least 1 CB before we can even contemplate signing another though, that's half the conundrum I reckon. 

Some guy on Twitter saying we’re being linked with Nmecha from Wolfsburg. He only signed last year for them and had a decent season - he’s ex Man City and they’re suggesting Joe Shields is pushing for it. 

Twitter = bollocks I know but this is a transfer rumour thread! 

24 minutes ago, SaintLondon said:

Some guy on Twitter saying we’re being linked with Nmecha from Wolfsburg. He only signed last year for them and had a decent season - he’s ex Man City and they’re suggesting Joe Shields is pushing for it. 

Powerful typical number 9 type to be fair, decent stats last season but not earth shattering.

He would have likely been recruited to the City academy by Shields, so might be something in it. Might as well rename ourselves to Man City B at this rate.

Edited by S-Clarke

I get he’s going to be leaning on his old Man City related relationships/contacts, but would like to see something a bit more original.

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Powerful typical number 9 type to be fair, decent stats last season but not earth shattering.

He would have likely been recruited to the City academy by Shields, so might be something in it. Might as well rename ourselves to Man City B at this rate.

30 minutes ago, SaintLondon said:

Sort of signing that has our hallmarks over it, especially with Shields involvement.

Would be another act of stupidity though if only bringing in yet another inexperienced striker in the hope he makes the grade.

Worrying that our major CB signing so far this year is behind Yan Valery for a starting slot. Salisu has been pretty poor since Xmas time and seems to have regressed massively. Must be a decent semi experienced in an ok league CB somewhere that hasn’t played for Man Cities youth sides that we could sign?! Shame Coady seems to be heading to Everton.

Would love a mobile Pelle style striker as well but not heard anything in a while linking us with Sasa K at Stuttgart. 

Feel a bit like we are trying to be too clever with our signings hoping to make a wedge to reinvest at a later date. Sometimes a round peg in a round hole will be just fine!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Sort of signing that has our hallmarks over it, especially with Shields involvement.

Would be another act of stupidity though if only bringing in yet another inexperienced striker in the hope he makes the grade.

Six caps for Germany, a full season for Anderlecht and Wolfsburg. It's a step above the calibre of Mara, at least.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Badger said:

I wouldn't say he's inexperienced in our usual approach, I think he's 24. Full season as first choice in the Bundesliga, Germany U21 international on the fringes of their first team. Previous season on loan in dutch football for a season. So he's had 2 or 3 seasons in a 'top division'.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Stu Man Do said:

Worrying that our major CB signing so far this year is behind Yan Valery. 
Feel a bit like we are trying to be too clever with our signings hoping to make a wedge to reinvest at a later date. Sometimes a round peg in a round hole will be just fine!

Seriously have to question the management of the club at times and the direction they are going in, whether that’s Semmens, Crocker , and more recently SR for it continuing.

Just now, DT said:

🚨 It’s understood that Southampton are ‘willing to move on’ striker Che Adams this summer #saintsfc @TheAthleticUK

Not surprised. The club has spent a good deal of money so far this window and is talking about spending more. I’m still expecting one or two players to leave to at least in part finance that. Worst case solution, JWP goes, and towards the end of the window. Just my opinion.

• Haha 4

19 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Not surprised. The club has spent a good deal of money so far this window and is talking about spending more. I’m still expecting one or two players to leave to at least in part finance that. Worst case solution, JWP goes, and towards the end of the window. Just my opinion.

It’s called relegation year. I can’t help but think JWP has signed for Spurs to be with his mate Forster. Just a suspicion. Would be worst case scenario indeed.  We have to get rid of Ralph. And not sell International strikers to our relegation rivals. As if Forest are that. (They’ll be fine)

ps Brighton are so weak, aren’t they lads? The saints forum footie knowledge strikes again!

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, DT said:

🚨 It’s understood that Southampton are ‘willing to move on’ striker Che Adams this summer #saintsfc @TheAthleticUK

idiotic

The only thing I can think is they needed to sell before splashing out on a competent striker hoping that shipping Bednarek, Stephens or whoever would bring in the funds, but there's no takers so it's now fingers crossed with the club that Che will attract a reasonable fee. If they let him go without at least one other coming in then it looks a recipe for disaster. But probably best to wait until the window slams shut....

You all know I rate Che higher then our other strikers so I can’t be arsed to go through it again, other than pointing out that AA offered nothing, no physicality at all Saturday and behind him we played an AM not blessed with pace

Regardless of that it just feels odd, it leaves us with one under firing senior striker and I just, even if we sell Che, cannot see us spending the required amount to bring in the then 2 strikers we need

Edited by Smirking_Saint
  • Like 4

surely not even the most incompetent of owners would let our two best strikers go without bringing in anyone to replace them. Trying to be optimistic here as i rate Adams but the only reason we are prepared to sell him is to fund a move for a quality striker, not some kid who might come good one day but someone who can come in straight away and make an impact with 2 or 3 years of scoring regularly in a decent league. That can be the only reason. We were already one striker light, now we'll need two, so this has to be why.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Seeing Brentford get a good player like Damsgaard makes me feel jealous.

The problem is I look at Damsgaard and Guedes with jealousy… then get sort of excited about a potential move for CHO… then realise they’ll need to play wingback anyway 😂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Turkish said:

surely not even the most incompetent of owners would let our two best strikers go without bringing in anyone to replace them. Trying to be optimistic here as i rate Adams but the only reason we are prepared to sell him is to fund a move for a quality striker, not some kid who might come good one day but someone who can come in straight away and make an impact with 2 or 3 years of scoring regularly in a decent league. That can be the only reason. We were already one striker light, now we'll need two, so this has to be why.

I can’t help but think we’re in for that lad in Germany that we, along with United I think, have been linked with. 

From the highlights he seems very similar to Che, but just better. It’s the only thing I can see being logical. 

11 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

If the historical trend of players leaving SMS for Anfield, would that make Liverpool "Man City C" ?

I just cannot understand with how woeful he was last season, that we have gone into this season with Adam Armstrong being our first choice centre forward. Absolutely Mind blowing - and we can add to that, that we are in a position where Valery is a first choice CB. Would be interested to hear from those who thought our summer business was an 8 out of 10 plus.........

• Like 3

Just now, whiteleySaint30 said:

I just cannot understand with how woeful he was last season, that we have gone into this season with Adam Armstrong being our first choice centre forward. Absolutely Mind blowing - and we can add to that, that we are in a position where Valery is a first choice CB. Would be interested to hear from those who thought our summer business was an 8 out of 10 plus.........

Building for next season's Championship title push ?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dman said:

I can’t help but think we’re in for that lad in Germany that we, along with United I think, have been linked with. 

From the highlights he seems very similar to Che, but just better. It’s the only thing I can see being logical. 

has to be something like that surely, although United have just had a bid turned down for Arnatovic so maybe they've moved onto other targets. A club like Man United bidding for a 33 year old has been is frigging hilarious mind

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Turkish said:

You really would hope so wouldn’t you…..but this is Ralph we’re talking about 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

So, we're going from needing two new strikers for the season, to needing three! Going to have to see who the replacements are, but it's another gamble.

We should be looking at around £30m for Adams. Same price as Ings, but obviously the contract dictated that.

2 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

So, we're going from needing two new strikers for the season, to needing three! Going to have to see who the replacements are, but it's another gamble.

We should be looking at around £30m for Adams. Same price as Ings, but obviously the contract dictated that.

Be serious, we do not need 3 new strikers.