Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

35 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Only a matter of time until Chelsea change their FM Search filter to 'Striker'.

21 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Are they linked with any strikers?  I've not seen too many. 

If Chelsea get Sesko it might open up a Broja return to Saints.

If Man Utd get Sesko it might open up a Saints move for Sasa Kalajdzic as Utd were also said to be interested. 

Saints search for a striker might be waiting on other moves to happen first. Which could be why it is taking a long time.

Infinite Loop Domino GIF by CmdrKitten

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, aintforever said:

Maybe if Broja wasn’t strolling about with a face like a smacked arse for the last half of the season our goal stats might have been better as well?

...case in point. Where's the post about Che going missing and doing fuck all in the last half of the season? He did very little, but Che gets the pass.

1 hour ago, Smirking_Saint said:

To put it simply, from watching, Che looked as though he was still busting a gut where as Broja looked like he couldn’t be arsed

As for Broja swapping with Che… as on RIGHT NOW, not taking into account any potential then no, I think it majes us overall weaker

My eyes saw it differently, but that's what the games all about. 

I'd happily swap Che for Broja. It's moot of course.

1 hour ago, woodsaint1 said:

Jeez. Goes to show what one season in the Championship on loan can do to a pricetag. £20-25m is alot for a player that never played a game at Chelsea 

That sure is a big price. I can see why we bought B-K from abroad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Diabolus Ex Machina said:

I mean, we had both last year and we still scored the least amount of goals in a season that Ralphs been here (and Che also scored more than him). If the price is £30m+ as West Hams bid would suggest then we'd have to spend that plus whatever it took to replace Adams (minus his fee) just to cover both spots. Seems an awfully big risk when we're 3 days away from the first league game already and no concrete leads on a new striker. I'd rather any of the other forwards go before Che and he can be a bench option if we do sign a better striker to start games (though ideally if we went 2 up front he could play with them).

Any idea on what sort of offer? Would we be looking for a permanent deal and if so are we looking the same sort of price range as the West Ham offer? If a loan have Chelsea actually made any noises that they might entertain the idea as recent signs suggest they'd rather keep him for themselves this season. Even if they didn't I imagine other teams would also be interested - I believe Everton and Newcastle have both been linked at points and I did read a suggestion from a Newcastle fan elsewhere suggesting the club would be willing to wait until late in the window to finalise any deal which might leave us with a dilemma if we still haven't signed someone and the window is nearing a close.

Tuchel's last comment about Broja was that he wont be sold, but whether he stays at Chelsea or gos out on loa again is still to be decided. 

22 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

If Chelsea get Sesko it might open up a Broja return to Saints.

If Man Utd get Sesko it might open up a Saints move for Sasa Kalajdzic as Utd were also said to be interested. 

Saints search for a striker might be waiting on other moves to happen first. Which could be why it is taking a long time.

Infinite Loop Domino GIF by CmdrKitten

Would be a shit domino rally (from Saints point of view) if United get Sesko and Chelsea move for Sasa Kalajdzic.

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

Would be a shit domino rally (from Saints point of view) if United get Sesko and Chelsea move for Sasa Kalajdzic.

We had Broja last year and look how many goals we didn't score, the present Board are more ambitious and I am expecting an improvement on Broja who is heavily over rated on this forum 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dellman said:

We had Broja last year and look how many goals we didn't score, the present Board are more ambitious and I am expecting an improvement on Broja who is heavily over rated on this forum 

Hope you are right. Broja ain't coming here, so I hope whoever does is better than him.

Whoever it is, they will need to be good, because in general we created little last season and Aribo can only do so much to change that. 

• Like 5

My total guess….. not gossip as I don’t have any but I reckon Iheanacho in from Leicester with McCarthy going the other way plus us paying another 12m with add ons.

A squad player in as a RB which leaves us with a juicy loan option for a number 10.

9 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

My total guess….. not gossip as I don’t have any but I reckon Iheanacho in from Leicester with McCarthy going the other way plus us paying another 12m with add ons.

A squad player in as a RB which leaves us with a juicy loan option for a number 10.

Imagine Leicester take McCarthy off our hands after Bertrand and Vestergaard last year 😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

The McCarthy bit is fine. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Chez said:

Hope you are right. Broja ain't coming here, so I hope whoever does is better than him.

Whoever it is, they will need to be good, because in general we created little last season and Aribo can only do so much to change that. 

Adam Blackmore pretty much confirming we aren't in for Broja on a Twitter Q&A tonight. Having spoken to people in the club they didn't think he achieved enough, which is a fair assessment. 

Time for fans to move on from him now, he won't be moving to Southampton

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Adam Blackmore pretty much confirming we aren't in for Broja on a Twitter Q&A tonight. Having spoken to people in the club they didn't think he achieved enough, which is a fair assessment. 

Not sure why people thought it in any way likely. 

1 hour ago, verlaine1979 said:

Seen people talking about Che's running and movement several times on this thread. A.) He's got the pace of frozen treacle, and B) If he's such a sharp and lively player, why is he always on his heels in the box?

Steven Davis not around anymore for a kicking I see, Is Che your favourite now?

31 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Didn t achieve enough? He achieved a great deal more than any of our other strikers combined. Laughable

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

Like Ings to Villa?

Clearly when players have a year left of their contract things change, especially when they’re worth the amount they are. 
The club made the right decision on him and Vestergaard last summer to cash in while their valuation was high and when it became clear they wouldn’t be staying.

Especially given our ownership/financial situation last summer.

I’m not saying I know better than the club or anyone else but I can understand us cashing on on a player when stock is high and they have limited time left on their deal/they don’t want to be here/they have no intention of signing on again. 😊

Edited by FarehamSaintJames

13 hours ago, revolution saint said:

Just to be clear, you're suggesting we could sell Adams and add the amount we receive to the amount already put aside to buy one striker (leaving us with three recognised strikers - new guy, A. Armstrong, Mara).  Or, are you saying sell Adams and buy two players leaving us with 4 recognised strikers? 

Appreciate you're only guessing rather than saying what we should do but trying to follow your logic.

Well it’s a possibility that the club need to sell one of the two established strikers to raise funds and I think Armstrong is favoured to Adams because of his versatility (and despite his lack of goals). Ralph has indicated from pre-season that he is able to use Stu Armstrong or Aribo as strikers if necessary, so in fact those two plus Mara, Armstrong and ‘new guy’ could give him 5 options. As both Armstrongs and Aribo are capable of also working in the wide attacking midfield positions, that also means more flexibility / playing time.

As you say, I’m only completely guessing at this like most of us and providing a possible alternative.

• Like 1

We definitely need to sell some players soon. At the moment you couldn’t tell who is going straight into the starting eleven and who is a squad player.

I think we all expected the likes of Long, Djenepo, Bednarek to have left by now - and so far only Long has left.

I’m a bit wary about Djenepo, looks like we’ll go into the first few games with him at wing-back and as much as he has apparently had a decent pre-season that doesn’t make up for the three years of poor performances against real opposition. I still think he’ll be loaned out towards the end of the window and that’ll be some of his wages covered for his final year.

Bednarek doesn’t want to be here and quite frankly isn’t good enough, but if we could get £15m for him then let him go straight away.

McCarthy, I’ll drive him to Leicester willingly.

Theres certainly seven or eight players you could let go and not bat an eyelid this summer, but because of their wages/contractual status it’ll make it more of a challenge.

9 hours ago, Saint Scott said:

Very strange. Personally I think he showed enough to suggest he’s going to be a mega player in a few years.

We all saw him absolutely destroy opposition defences in the early stages of the season. Yes, his form tailed off but he’ll only improve with experience. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Maggie May said:

Very strange. Personally I think he showed enough to suggest he’s going to be a mega player in a few years.

We all saw him absolutely destroy opposition defences in the early stages of the season. Yes, his form tailed off but he’ll only improve with experience. 

I agree. His potential is sky high, but why did his form tail off? Was he found out by defenders, is it an attitude problem?

There have been plenty of players destined for great things only for their attitude to get in the way of achieving it.

Edited by Saint Scott

27 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I think we all expected the likes of Long, Djenepo, Bednarek to have left by now - and so far only Long has left.

I thought we'd be stuck with Djenepo, Theo etc. all summer and then possibly loan them at the end of the window, if we were lucky. If they are not good enough for us, but on significant Prem wages, they are not attractive signings to others.

I am not so sure about Broja - I don’t think we can afford to buy him at £30M nor should we as he’s overpriced at that level.  But I wouldn’t be surprised to see him come back here on loan.

I think he looked bad towards the end of last season as we more or less played him up front on his own without much support and reverted to the long ball game  - meaning he had to chase scraps against 2 centre backs.

if we do sell Adams for £20M and replace him with a better striker I am not going to complain.  He’s probably at the peak of his resale value right now so now is the time to sell him if you are going to do it.  

We’ve kept too many players past their sell buy date when they aren’t really good enough - Moi, Redmond, Djneppo, Diallo - and then been unable to sell them or have to give them away. The last 3 should have gone on loan last season to get some value back so we could sell them this season.

Part of me thinks we should loan out or sell Adam Armstrong this season so we don’t make the same mistake again. Maybe if we bring Broja and someone else in permanently we will

we were linked to Kaspar Dolberg at one point as Nice supposedly want to sell him  - maybe that’s the mystery striker we have made an offer for.

we don’t just need a striker though - we need a creative no 10 to play on the left and a full back. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rebel said:

I am not so sure about Broja - I don’t think we can afford to buy him at £30M nor should we as he’s overpriced at that level.  But I wouldn’t be surprised to see him come back here on loan.

I think he looked bad towards the end of last season as we more or less played him up front on his own without much support and reverted to the long ball game  - meaning he had to chase scraps against 2 centre backs.

if we do sell Adams for £20M and replace him with a better striker I am not going to complain.  He’s probably at the peak of his resale value right now so now is the time to sell him if you are going to do it.  

We’ve kept too many players past their sell buy date when they aren’t really good enough - Moi, Redmond, Djneppo, Diallo - and then been unable to sell them or have to give them away. The last 3 should have gone on loan last season to get some value back so we could sell them this season.

Part of me thinks we should loan out or sell Adam Armstrong this season so we don’t make the same mistake again. Maybe if we bring Broja and someone else in permanently we will

we were linked to Kaspar Dolberg at one point as Nice supposedly want to sell him  - maybe that’s the mystery striker we have made an offer for.

we don’t just need a striker though - we need a creative no 10 to play on the left and a full back. 

I'd probably take that but absolutely no lower

16 minutes ago, le_tiss said:

neverton will be stepping up interest in Broja now i would assume - as West Ham have their striker

Neverton look to be finally going down. At best they are going to be right in the mix this season. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

I agree. His potential is sky high, but why did his form tail off? Was he found out by defenders, is it an attitude problem?

There have been plenty of players destined for great things only for their attitude to get in the way of achieving it.

Because he's 20 years old, playing his first season in the PL and playing in a poor team

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Verbal Kint said:

Because he's 20 years old, playing his first season in the PL and playing in a poor team

im not really sure why people don't understand that young players are erratic. it also adds concert to our other signings that they may struggle for consistency particularly in their first year with us. i think our season will hinge on the last couple of players that we bring in otherwise it could be a struggle. 

So lads I've been busy this morning I set out lumper and the scout team to snoop out a couple of geezers up top for us. 

I've only done a few leagues and I have added height to see if we have any Units that can act as a targetman. 

My own personal preference: 

Mousa Dembele  why? Has done it on a consistent basis 👏  

Emil Ris and that Gyokeres require further investigations 🔎  

An ideal situation: 

Dembele or that Austrian Peter crouch lad in on a permanent. 

And someone on loan maybe from below.... 

So here are my reports: 

Championship ####

joel piroe               22 goals    5.10
Viktor Gyokeres  17 goals     5.10
Ben Bereton Diaz  22 goals   5.10
Emil Ris                  16 goals    6.2  *

French Ligue 1 ####

Martin Terrier      21 goals   5.10
Mousa Dembele  21 goals  5.10
Andy Derlot     ( age 30 )  18 goals    5.10

Italy serie A ###

Andrea Pinamonti  13 goals  5.10