Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

2 hours ago, Dusic said:

Looks like Mara is a genuine striker so IMO we need another striker plus a Ralph #10 and thats attack done.

Then after that full back cover and if we sell any CBs then a new option there (Colwill perhaps).

Is that a bit unrealistic to expect given no obvious ways to generate any cash besides selling JWP or KWP?

If we didnt get all of those, which are the most critical? Probably striker and full back cover, although we are crying out for a better #10 than what we have - unless Aribo is considered to be that?

You would certainly hope so. The idea of him turning out to be as bad or worse than Djenepo, Ely, Walcott and Redmond is more than a little frightening. Would love another one better than that lot and 2 of them out. Hobson's choice but I think I'd go with Walcott and Djenepo to go. Just.

29 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

He’s a quality player.  Was brilliant on his West Ham loan.

Big risk, but fair play to them.

He did well there but if he was that good wouldn't he have been playing regularly for a poor Man Utd last season?

5 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

I'm intrigued with what the club think they are doing with redmond and walcott - for them to be not involved when they both seem fit must mean they have been told to find new clubs etc 

How do you know they 'seem fit'? 

The club said the reason they stayed in England rather than goto Austria was because they needed extra work. The club could be playing with the truth, but we don't know.

Edited by Matthew Le God

8 minutes ago, The Cat said:

He did well there but if he was that good wouldn't he have been playing regularly for a poor Man Utd last season?

There's a heck of a difference between good enough for Forest and good enough for United.

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

Agree. Pisses all over every single one of our AM’s. 

He’s Too old for this place to get excited about though. Weird. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Lingard was excellent for West Ham a couple of years back. I’d still class him as decent now, probably better than most of our attacking players, if not all of them.

Signing for Forest over West Ham seems a little off, but then again if I was getting offered £50K more then it’s a no brainer to those financially motivated.

Huge risk for Forest, not much of a return for a player of his age and ability. Not a risk I’d want Saints to take. 

Lingard for two years or Mara for five, with potential returns, I know which I’d rather!

Edited by FarehamSaintJames

44 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

The club said the reason they stayed in England rather than goto Austria was because they needed extra work. The club could be playing with the truth, but we don't know.

This is true but the beauty about a forum is we can speculate rather than just state facts all the time.

However Redmond was training with the first team in the photos before austria but with Theo you might have a point as his default state is injured hence i used the word seem.

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

You said goto, which isn’t even a word! Very sloppy Matthew, you have fallen well short of the standards demanded by this forum. I think we can all agree you need to take a time out to consider your actions and their consequences. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, david in sweden said:

Forget that.  It will never happen. 

If we managed to sign Kevin Keegan without anyone knowing about it, most of our signing could walk though the Bargate unnoticed.  

Most of them could go a game unnoticed 

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

I'm intrigued with what the club think they are doing with redmond and walcott - for them to be not involved when they both seem fit must mean they have been told to find new clubs etc 

True story, Redmond was driving to a medical in the midlands, he was making really good progress up M40, he then had to make decision at spaghetti junction, he lost all confidence, did a u turn, shuffled sideways and has been hiding there ever since.,

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

He's the attacking midfield version of Tom Cleverly, one great half season in the last 5 years doesn't make a quality player imo and if he was good how come he couldn't get into a bad Man Utd team last year. 

£200k a week is a hilarious waste of money, you also have to wonder about his motivation and how big his ego is asking for that amount. I wonder what the rest of that dressing room will think when that joker turns up and is apparently 'worth' like 4 to 5 times what the rest of them are being paid, could easily see that cause them issues alone. 

Edited by tajjuk
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Nottingham Forest will be paying Jesse Lingard £200k per week. Absolute insanity.

They've got to be desperate to pay that for him. In my opinion the clubs scouting has failed miserably if that is the target they have to go for.

Forest fans/journos reporting £80k base with another 50% from easy-to-achieve bonuses (so probably number of games played/available for rather than goals/assists).

1 minute ago, igsey said:

Forest fans/journos reporting £80k base with another 50% from easy-to-achieve bonuses (so probably number of games played/available for rather than goals/assists).

Still think all things considered- recent signings, manager etc it’s a bizarre one.

Even at 200k a week, it’s only the equivalent of signing a player for £10 million and then not having to pay him any wages. 

Let’s not laugh too hard until we know we haven’t signed another load of utter dross. I would take him ahead of any of our attacking midfielders and it’s not even close. 

Edited by LGTL
  • Like 8

21 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

He's the attacking midfield version of Tom Cleverly, one great half season in the last 5 years doesn't make a quality player imo and if he was good how come he couldn't get into a bad Man Utd team last year. 

£200k a week is a hilarious waste of money, you also have to wonder about his motivation and how big his ego is asking for that amount. I wonder what the rest of that dressing room will think when that joker turns up and is apparently 'worth' like 4 to 5 times what the rest of them are being paid, could easily see that cause them issues alone. 

They'll get Lingard for 2 years for about £20m all in. We paid £19m for Carillo plus wages, £15m for Armstrong plus wages, etc. Good business if he helps keep them up, which I think will happen. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Even at 200k a week, it’s only the equivalent of signing a player for £10 million and then not having to pay him any wages. 

Let’s not laugh too hard until we know we haven’t signed another load of utter dross. I would take him ahead of any of our attacking midfielders and it’s not even close. 

Beat me to it! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Spot on mate. They’re getting a 15-20m+ player for free. So could easily pay that extra in salary 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, egg said:

They'll get Lingard for 2 years for about £20m all in. We paid £19m for Carillo plus wages, £15m for Armstrong plus wages, etc. Good business if he helps keep them up, which I think will happen. 

If you were a Forest player and you saw someone was on probably 3 times your salary that would be ok?

That wouldn’t cause any issues in changing room?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

If you were a Forest player and you saw someone was on probably 3 times your salary that would be ok?

I don't think it will. He's a one off, signed on a free and he essentially gets extra wages in lieu of a transfer fee, with the sole aim of keeping them up. Those 2 lads signed from Huddersfield won't get the hump because Lingard has come in on more cash than them. Good bit of business imo. 

8 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

I think it depends. If things go south it has the ingredients for an unhappy dynamic - if they do well and he performs you anticipate any issues will quickly be overcome.

3 minutes ago, egg said:

I don't think it will. He's a one off, signed on a free and he essentially gets extra wages in lieu of a transfer fee, with the sole aim of keeping them up. Those 2 lads signed from Huddersfield won't get the hump because Lingard has come in on more cash than them. Good bit of business imo. 

I was thinking more of others obviously coming from Huddersfield would be lower.

Huge weight on him we will see how this goes be interesting see how he does with this  on his shoulders he may thrive on extra responsibility 

12 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

More like 8 times for most of their players! Of course they will all be as happy as Larry with that.

I'll be interested to see how it goes with Lingard, but signings like this (as in a total extreme compared to the rest of the squad) often end badly. The funny thing is, having a quick read of the Forest forums shows at the of the window, their fans saying 'no no no' 'steer clear' 'wants a last pay day', but a few months on it's ''wow, i'm in dreamland''. Signings and rumours provoke weird reactions in so many ways.

Obviously he's better than anyone we have in attack, but I'd still baulk at throwing that sort of wage around on him. I might be biased, but I prefer our model of giving players a platform and watching young players develop. Yep, we sell them, get big fee's and go again.

We're never, ever, ever going to be in the market for former England internationals on 100k+ a week, so I'll never be too miffed missing out on these types. It's really not how we are as a club.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LGTL said:

IIRC it's a 2 year contract, which totals up to £20.8m.

Fitting that into our structure of paying, say, £80k on a 4 year contract, it would be like signing a £25m player (ie £6.25m per season for the signing, and £4.2 a season wages)

1 hour ago, Give it to Ron said:

I would if it was an actual good player but not that overgrown kid who has basically traded his whole career on basically being an up and coming Man Utd talent, whilst never actually reaching any real level.

IMO if he'd come through at a championship club he'd likely be very much at one now and have got nowhere near the England team. Another one in a long line of massively over rated youth products from a big club IMO.  Danny Welbeck with a bigger ego. 

Edited by tajjuk

39 minutes ago, angelman said:

IIRC it's a 2 year contract, which totals up to £20.8m.

Fitting that into our structure of paying, say, £80k on a 4 year contract, it would be like signing a £25m player (ie £6.25m per season for the signing, and £4.2 a season wages)

That ignores signing / loyalty fees, and ofc the dreaded agents fees - let alone any bonuses... So I suspect its nearer £25M or £30M all in.

Either way, its a marquee signing for Forest, and £20m-£30m is reasonable for them if they're prepared to spend that much on one asset - they will be vindicated if they stay up.  As others have said, saints will never look at spending that much on that kind of player, so its academic for us really. I also don't think Saints are in any kind of position to spend that proportion of our budget on one player.

Lingard has seen his contract out to do exactly this re wages, fair enough. But he has to perform or yes, it will piss off the other players big time - but a bigger issue for forest may be that it shows all their players the merits of running down contracts and leaving on a free.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

I would if it was an actual good player but not that overgrown kid who has basically traded his whole career on basically being an up and coming Man Utd talent, whilst never actually reaching any real level.

IMO if he'd come through at a championship club he'd likely be very much at one now and have got nowhere near the England team. Another one in a long line of massively over rated youth products from a big club IMO.  Danny Welbeck with a bigger ego. 

Come now, he did a decent job for England for quite a period of time even if he wasn't quite at the level we might have wanted. He's definitely a good Premier League player even if he's not quite Champions League level

Sturridge, Welbeck, Cleverley, Wilshere, Alli, Bale, Walcott, Defoe… Lingard is just the latest in a very long line of players, “you’d be mad not to want to sign,” because they were once good for one of the top teams.

JL might turn out to be a decent signing for them but for every Zabaletta there are half a dozen Michael Owens.

As pointed out, the huge salary doesnt really matter when offset by the free transfer and J Lingz may turn out to be a decent signing for Forest. My issue (and Roy Keane's) is that hes another footballer more interested in his image/social media/clothing brand than his actual performances on the pitch. Was also supposedly the player leaking a number of stories to the media about what was going on behind the scenes at United. Dont want this nonsense anywhere near our club

59 minutes ago, HnycS said:

Apparently may end up in service to the Queen(s) instead of Reading https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/reading-fc-shane-long-transfer-24407720

That’s a link that pre dates Reading announcing him signing for them.

I’m sure Charlie Austin would have made sure QPR didn’t go all in for Long as he would’ve made CA look like a Weston beach donkey… 

33 minutes ago, samcrocker said:

That’s a link that pre dates Reading announcing him signing for them.

I’m sure Charlie Austin would have made sure QPR didn’t go all in for Long as he would’ve made CA look like a Weston beach donkey… 

Oh I missed that, was sure I read Shane had signed for Reading! BTW I think I also read CA has left for AUS not sure how recently, but probably has little if any influence at QPR. But as recompense for my old URL, let me double down with another old URL in case no one else no one else has seen the German commentary on Shane's infamous goal for Ireland. "He usually bottles those" if only English commentators were this honest 💗.

Edited by HnycS
Messed the quote up!

1 hour ago, HnycS said:

Oh I missed that, was sure I read Shane had signed for Reading! BTW I think I also read CA has left for AUS not sure how recently, but probably has little if any influence at QPR. But as recompense for my old URL, let me double down with another old URL in case no one else no one else has seen the German commentary on Shane's infamous goal for Ireland. "He usually bottles those" if only English commentators were this honest 💗.

Yep Charlie is at Brisbane roar now, was speaking to him at Townsville airport yesterday