Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

34 minutes ago, igsey said:

Is Colwill still being linked with a move away from Chelsea now that the Aké deal is dead?

Chelsea media thought he’d stay after News of Ake came out — for about an hour — until they immediately got linked with more centre-backs.

Assuming Bednarek is going regardless then IMO securing Colwill is absolutely massive if Ralph wants to use 3 CBs as a frequent formation.

Otherwise, and without a similarly quality player being brought in, it means Stephens or Lyanco being a first choice - and we know neither is PL quality.

Sounds like it will come to a head soon, and can see the attraction of partnering Andersen and his old teammate Guehi in what would be a very solid defensive setup for Palace, especially when you consider Tyrick Mitchell too. Their recruitment has been excellent since Viera took over.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

30 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Assuming Bednarek is going regardless then IMO securing Colwill is absolutely massive if Ralph wants to use 3 CBs as a frequent formation.

Otherwise, and without a similarly quality player being brought in, it means Stephens or Lyanco being a first choice - and we know neither is PL quality.

Sounds like it will come to a head soon, and can see the attraction of partnering Andersen and his old teammate Guehi in what would be a very solid defensive setup for Palace, especially when you consider Tyrick Mitchell too. Their recruitment has been excellent since Viera took over.

Everyone assumes that Bednarek will be leaving, but if that is the case you have to wonder why he has been taken away on the pre-season tour. Personally (and as I have commented before) I think Bednarek's shortcomings have been over-exaggerated (though I'm not saying there aren't any!) and I would rather keep him and get rid of one of the other centre-backs. I have far more concerns about Stephens and Lyanco than Bednarek and I think Salisu is not yet ready to play without a defensive partner who will try to cover for his tendency to get caught out of position, albeit Bednarek's confidence did take a knock when he was blamed in those circumstances.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

Everyone assumes that Bednarek will be leaving, but if that is the case you have to wonder why he has been taken away on the pre-season tour. 

The club could be open to selling him and if no deal is currently close then it would be daft to not take him on the tour. He still needs to train and if a deal fails to materialise and he hasn't had a pre-season then he'd be behind everyone else.

• Like 2

So Ralph says striker is not the hardest to get just the most expensive (paraphrasing), so don't be surprised if there is at least one biggish spend to come. Clearly we need 3 attackers (2 strikers, one #10), reading between the lines that is what Ralph thinks as well.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Wouldn’t surprise me if we buy a striker for a new club record

Wonder if we're waiting on Sasa Kalajdzic, who in turn is likely to be biding his time for Bayern or Man Utd. If either of those two are interested then we're wasting our time.

According to this though, no bids have been made. 

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/07/17/were-in-excellent-talks-chief-drops-bombshell-on-man-utd-spurs-target/

1 hour ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

Everyone assumes that Bednarek will be leaving, but if that is the case you have to wonder why he has been taken away on the pre-season tour. Personally (and as I have commented before) I think Bednarek's shortcomings have been over-exaggerated (though I'm not saying there aren't any!) and I would rather keep him and get rid of one of the other centre-backs. I have far more concerns about Stephens and Lyanco than Bednarek and I think Salisu is not yet ready to play without a defensive partner who will try to cover for his tendency to get caught out of position, albeit Bednarek's confidence did take a knock when he was blamed in those circumstances.

I very much prefer lyanco to bednarek. I’d be very happy if we can get a half decent fee for bednarek and get him out the door.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

I very much prefer lyanco to bednarek. I’d be very happy if we can get a half decent fee for bednarek and get him out the door.

For a team lacking defensive stability Lyanco is probably one of the least suited PL centre backs I can think of as a solution.

Poor, cheap signing and will be a bit part player again, if he is even at the club in September.

• Like 8

53 minutes ago, Ldnsaint said:

Newcastle top 6 😂

Why not, they averaged around 2 points a game for the second half of last season, they will presumably be stronger this season? If they took that form through the whole season they would have finished 3rd. 

• Like 1

Someone I know who follows the MLS a bit says we're one of a few clubs, including West Ham and Leeds, who are interested in Valentín Castellanos. Striker who plays for New York City FC and doing very well by all accounts. NYCFC are part owned by City Football Group so given our recent business with Man City, we might have some connections to do a deal? (last bit only speculative). 

Suspect West Ham buying Broja rules them out. Link to Leeds makes some sense as they need a striker too and Marsch knows the MLS well. 

Edited by Saint_lambden

4 minutes ago, Saint_lambden said:

Someone I know who follows the MLS a bit says we're one of a few clubs, including West Ham and Leeds, who are interested in Valentín Castellanos. Striker who plays for New York City FC and doing very well by all accounts. NYCFC are part owned by City Football Group so given our recent business with Man City, we might have some connections to do a deal? (last bit only speculative). 

#Saintsy

42 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Why not, they averaged around 2 points a game for the second half of last season, they will presumably be stronger this season? If they took that form through the whole season they would have finished 3rd. 

And the window is still open to add some class as they have plenty of money and a decent manager .. unlike us !

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Because we all know it doesn't work like that, we've had very good half seasons of form and then dropped off. 

Their squad is nowhere near top 6 quality, and their signings so far look pretty meh IMO. As said above most of the 'traditional' big 6 have also improved, Arsenal and Spurs are likely to be better, Liverpool and City are on another level, Utd have a new manager, and Chelsea seem to be strengthening well. 

Also pretty much all the most highly rated managers in world football are now currently occupying PL clubs. Guardiola, Klopp, Conte, Tuchel and Ten Haag. 

I actually think this season could be pretty painful for the rest of the league, we've had a spell for a while where the likes of Arsenal, Spurs and Utd have all been in transition, changing managers, changing squads, lacking a clear plan/identity plus Chelsea had the Abramovich distraction last year. This year Spurs and Arsenal both seem to be building well with good managers, Utd have a wealth of talent (and just wealth) that just needs to be properly managed and Chelsea have new owners who seem to be investing. 

I think there could be a pretty big gap between those clubs and the 'rest' next year. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Because we all know it doesn't work like that, we've had very good half seasons of form and then dropped off. 

Their squad is nowhere near top 6 quality, and their signings so far look pretty meh IMO. As said above most of the 'traditional' big 6 have also improved, Arsenal and Spurs are likely to be better, Liverpool and City are on another level, Utd have a new manager, and Chelsea seem to be strengthening well. 

Also pretty much all the most highly rated managers in world football are now currently occupying PL clubs. Guardiola, Klopp, Conte, Tuchel and Ten Haag. 

I actually think this season could be pretty painful for the rest of the league, we've had a spell for a while where the likes of Arsenal, Spurs and Utd have all been in transition, changing managers, changing squads, lacking a clear plan/identity plus Chelsea had the Abramovich distraction last year. This year Spurs and Arsenal both seem to be building well with good managers, Utd have a wealth of talent (and just wealth) that just needs to be properly managed and Chelsea have new owners who seem to be investing. 

I think there could be a pretty big gap between those clubs and the 'rest' next year. 

I'm not saying it is a definite, but I wouldn't write it off either. The difference here is the upturn coincided with the new management regime and signing a number of better players. Let's hope it doesn't "work like that" in our case.

31 minutes ago, Saint_lambden said:

Suspect West Ham buying Broja rules them out. Link to Leeds makes some sense as they need a striker too and Marsch knows the MLS well. 

Castellanos Scored last night...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Very difficult to judger the standard of the MLS, most players usually coming out of that league go to a lesser European league first and then progress up to a to 5 league. 

The only one I can think of doing as such is Miguel Almirion, fairly sure he came from the MLS straight to Newcastle. He hasn't been 'amazing' for them, but far from terrible. (He always seems to score against us, but then who doesn't)

16 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Very difficult to judger the standard of the MLS, most players usually coming out of that league go to a lesser European league first and then progress up to a to 5 league. 

Agreed. Most MLS teams would probably struggle in League One, and the better teams are barely championship level. If someone was banging 40 or more in from all over the place and showing they can shoot early, utterly dominate and be totally unplayable then they’d be worth a look. 

52 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Castellanos Scored last night...

I f you go onto youtube, there's a video of Adam Armstrong scoring a goal for Blackburn the season before last that's just about identical to that goal...

3 hours ago, DT said:

bastards

FX3qkOcWAAIq9PN.jpeg

Most of the players we have signed are those that none of us really know about, let alone others. Whilst excited by some of the talent we’ve signed, from what we really know, we are still quality players short of being good enough to avoid a relegation battle. The potential might turn into excellence 😆 but we could use a bit of excellence now to make avoiding relegation an easy expectation. 

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

Most of the players we have signed are those that none of us really know about, let alone others. Whilst excited by some of the talent we’ve signed, from what we really know, we are still quality players short of being good enough to avoid a relegation battle. The potential might turn into excellence 😆 but we could use a bit of excellence now to make avoiding relegation an easy expectation. 

Summarises my feelings presently. We are taking a big (calculated) risk that the youngsters we've signed will step up. If they don't it could be extremely embarrassing.

Edited by BotleySaint
  • Like 2

Aston Villa looking for another striker.

Really like the look of Cameron Archer, think he could be another Danny Ings - wonder if they'd be tempted with £15m + add-ons to help in that search? He'd be filling the 'Delap' vacancy, still think we need a big addition alongside that.

7 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

Aston Villa looking for another striker.

Really like the look of Cameron Archer, think he could be another Danny Ings - wonder if they'd be tempted with £15m + add-ons to help in that search? He'd be filling the 'Delap' vacancy, still think we need a big addition alongside that.

As in we arent getting Delap, or instead of him?

I’m convinced we are going to spend a bit on a decent striker. The Sports Republic team don’t appear to look like they are the types to leave a job unfinished.

Edited by manji
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

I'm just spitballing mate, but I'd definitely prefer Archer based on what I've seen of both players. I suppose Archer would be a lot tougher to get.

WBA are after him …….