Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

27 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

My concern is that he's likely to be be the only GK signing we make

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

Do you not think Cabellero is pretty much a `sure thing', thus we sign one `new' younger keeper, like Bazanu or suchlike, to give us balance in terms of ages and career progression?

McCarthy
Bazanu
Cabellero

My post in context was responding to the suggestion of only one keeper signing. 

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, swannymere said:

Looks like a Romeo replacement to me.

A couple of decent tackles in thevideo of him. Be quite happy with Svanberg from what I've read, but don't see him as the Romeu replacement.

We still need a MF 'enforcer', shame we missed out on Sangarre. 

11 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

My post in context was responding to the suggestion of only one keeper signing. 

Thanks. I was merely asking for your opinion. Let me try again. Do you not think retaining Cabellero is pretty much a sure thing, thus rather than signing two keepers, we will probably just bring in one. And if we do, do you think it is likely that its a relatively young keeper? 

I am not trying to trick you or win points, just have a discussion. If you don't care to join it, that's fine.

Edited by Chez

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

Thanks. I was merely asking for your opinion. Let me try again. Do you not think retaining Cabellero is pretty much a sure thing, thus rather than signing two keepers, we will probably just bring in one. And if we do, do you think it is likely that its a relatively young keeper? 

I am not trying to trick you or win points, just have a discussion. If you don't care to join it, that's fine.

It would make sense to extend his deal, but I don't have any knowledge of what they want to do to be comfortable labelling it as a 'sure thing'.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chez said:

Come on you know MLG is unable to give his opinion without belittling others and being pedantic!!!

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

For £10m he's going to be our only first choice GK signing, we'll sign a third and a 4th (probably that Turkish guy, then loan him out) and then maybe Willy for a year.

That doesn't fix our problem position one jot. Maybe it does in a year or so, and maybe we can get a decent profit in 2 years on Bazunu but I don't care about that. I just don't want to see McCarthy in goal for the club I support, as it's a waste of time.

To me signing a 20 yr who’s only league experience is league 1 is pretty concerning. He may have promise but promise isn’t what we need in that position. If he’s not the only gk signing spending 10m on a third choice keeper given the rest of the needs would be odd.

• Like 2

GK and CB are the biggest priorities this summer, before any other position.

Buying a L1 keeper is pathetic. Can’t wait for us to bid for some obscure Boreham Wood CB in the near future because he has “potential”.

All that said I think any business being done will be behind closed doors, limited leaks, etc etc.

14 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

It would make sense to extend his deal, but I don't have any knowledge of what they want to do to be comfortable labelling it as a 'sure thing'.

thanks for that. You really have added something there to this discussion.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

GK and CB are the biggest priorities this summer, before any other position.

Buying a L1 keeper is pathetic. Can’t wait for us to bid for some obscure Boreham Wood CB in the near future because he has “potential”.

Why label signing him as pathetic? How often have you seen him play?

He isn't a L1 keeper, he is a young keeper from the PL champions and has 10 senior caps for Republic of Ireland. 

Livramento had never played a senior game before Saints signed him. Was signing him 'pathetic'?

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 10
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, davefizzy14 said:

Benrahma would be a class signing, just what we need in the number 10 position. Can create and score goals. Talksport also saying we are unlikely to make a move for Minamino.

100% on Benrahma, would be chuffed with that.  The main issue with Minamino, as we saw when he was here, is that he's not an attacking midfield who can play the 10, he's a forward perfectly suited to a front 3.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chez said:

This is it. There are not lots and lots of options. Burnley might want £20 or £30m, but he simply isn't going for that unless there are several clubs wanting him. Are there? He's not young. Burnley could of course keep him and others. They do need to pay down the loan, but they may not be on their arse. When player already has a Prem wage, it becomes a buyers market. 

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that he does stay at Burnley. Lets face it, he's not going to dislodge Pickford from starting for England, and the lack of decent English keepers probably means he is a shoe in for the squad wherever he plays next season.

2 hours ago, davefizzy14 said:

Benrahma would be a class signing, just what we need in the number 10 position. Can create and score goals. Talksport also saying we are unlikely to make a move for Minamino.

I’d take him for sure, but I think WHU paid circa £20-£25M for him so I’m sure they would look to move on for at least that tbh

26 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

He isn't a L1 keeper, he is a young keeper from the PL champions and has 10 senior caps for Republic of Ireland. 

Livramento had never played a senior game before Saints signed him. Was signing him 'pathetic'?

You react with a “confused face” to my reply, then again belittle others for their opinion, you truly are deluded as to your own personality. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Well, with Livaremento we already had a perfectly capable top 10 right-back in KWP, so we weren't solely relying on him to come good and putting all our eggs in one basket. The same with Broja, he wasn't signed as Ings' replacement, he was signed in addition to Armstrong and to add further depth to our front line, rather than being expected to come in and be the main man straight away.

Both players saw their form drop off after bright starts and we did end up relying on Broja, which had a huge impact on the teams end of season form. Gunn had a similar drop in form after his best game in a Saints shirt being his debut against Chelsea and then winning the starting goalkeeping position. We had to go back to those who we were looking for him to replace and mark his signing as a failure, while his career has seemingly not recovered after the 9-0.

I don't think many have an issue with the Bazunu signing in isolation. He is as you say, a rated youngster who is seen to have hight potential. However, he's 20 years old. If his first season of Premier League football follows the pattern of Livaremento's and Broja's, then we know that we're going to need to turn to McCarthy, as we cannot afford to ship goals with our poor quality attacking threat. That's the issue. While McCarthy has shown to be capable as the number one, he's also one whose form drops off a very costly cliff and there won't be another experienced goalkeeper in Forster to bail us out next season, unless we keep Caballero, who is turning 41 in September. As I said, we should have had a plan and a list of many names to replace both Forster and McCarthy this summer, as we used to harp on about having constant names in our manager pool in a time of need. Forster's departure isn't a surprise that's came out of the blue.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, EBS1980 said:

I’d take him for sure, but I think WHU paid circa £20-£25M for him so I’m sure they would look to move on for at least that tbh

We paid £20m for Carrillo. We moved on for £0.

If West Ham don't rate him and want to move him on, why do they get all their money back and more?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, davefizzy14 said:

Surely we should be going all out to get Dean Henderson in on a season long loan or Nick Pope for £15-£20 million. Proven top quality goalkeepers.

We are smarter than that. We don’t need to buy proven, we buy young and develop. Ever seen a fly on Semmens or Ralph? Thought not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

Signing a guy who has made zero PL appearances and 70 odd in L1 when our so called number one regularly goes for 60 goals odd every season is pretty pathetic yes

Comparing him with Livramento is just wrong. There were other players more than capable of filling his position - not the case for GK. Plus look what happened to Livramento when Ralph bizarrely persisted on playing him every game. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Because he isn't shit

he isn't, but he's shitter than West Ham hoped he would be, so he should go for less than they paid not more, right?

2 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

To me signing a 20 yr who’s only league experience is league 1 is pretty concerning. He may have promise but promise isn’t what we need in that position. If he’s not the only gk signing spending 10m on a third choice keeper given the rest of the needs would be odd.

Seems like we’re doing what we’ve done with the centre back situation for years. Needed an experienced leader there since 2017 instead of getting one we’ve wasted 10s of millions trying to be clever. Rather than get quality in as glovesman we seem to be going down the same route again 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

You think McCarthy won’t be our number one come “match day 1”?

I haven’t the faintest clue how good this mush is, whether he’s being bought to come straight in or even if he’s the only ‘keeper we’re after. If we’re losing Forster, Willy and Lewis there’s clearly room to bring in more than one. Joe Hart went from being a League 1 player to competing for titles with Man City practically overnight, so being better than two of the crappest regular keepers in the PL isn’t beyond the realms of possibility.

This is more than a little premature for someone who’s usually first to laugh at ‘hysterical wet tarts p*ssing their knickers.’

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I haven’t the faintest clue how good this mush is, whether he’s being bought to come straight in or even if he’s the only ‘keeper we’re after. If we’re losing Forster, Willy and Lewis there’s clearly room to bring in more than one. Joe Hart went from being a League 1 player to competing for titles with Man City practically overnight, so being better than two of the crappest regular keepers in the PL isn’t beyond the realms of possibility.

This is more than a little premature for someone who’s usually first to laugh at ‘hysterical wet tarts p*ssing their knickers.’

Relying on a keeper who has never played a league match above league one level is a huge gamble, especially with a defence as shite as ours. relying on Mcarthy is just insane. Excuse me for not leaping around with joy.

• Like 5

We may rue the day Livramento turned out to be good.

We've got an entire window of us signing Tinos in every frigging position. Front to back we have the magic formula, we know best, we're the black box recruitment genius brigade.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Relying on a keeper who has never played a league match above league one level is a huge gamble, especially with a defence as shite as ours. relying on Mcarthy is just insane. Excuse me for not leaping around with joy.

He also has 10 senior international caps aged 20. That is a higher level than League 1.

Edited by Matthew Le God

14 minutes ago, Chez said:

he isn't, but he's shitter than West Ham hoped he would be, so he should go for less than they paid not more, right?

I see your logic but i guess they could argue he performed at a level they wanted and paid for at the time and the reason for getting rid is they now want a player at the next level up. Therefore they want want they paid for him. Whereas we were certainly in no position to make that argument in Carillo's case

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

People are talking about the likes of Pope and Henderson being £40m. We’re going to have to get an inexperienced player of some description, be he foreign or lower league. Niemi had only ever played in the SPL when we signed him and that’s barely Championship standard.

• Like 1

By the way in case anyone is interested his international appearances have been against 

Portugal

Luxembourg 

Qatar

Andorra

serbia

Hungary 

Azerbaijan

Hardly an array of the finest national teams on the planet. Some of them will be lower level than his league matches 

13 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

We may rue the day Livramento turned out to be good.

We've got an entire window of us signing Tinos in every frigging position. Front to back we have the magic formula, we know best, we're the black box recruitment genius brigade.

I've got no problem with us signing or finding 'Livramentos', it's quite exciting actually.....but, it shouldn't be at the expense of experienced and established players. We need a mix of both.

Like you say it feels like the club is blowing smoke up it's arse again thinking it's won the formula with the Tino deal.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

People are talking about the likes of Pope and Henderson being £40m. We’re going to have to get an inexperienced player of some description, be he foreign or lower league. Niemi had only ever played in the SPL when we signed him and that’s barely Championship standard.

Pope obviously won’t be costing £40m he’s got a year left on his contract. Forest and Fulham are meant to be interested in him FFS, if they can afford him no reason why we can’t 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

I've got no problem with us signing or finding 'Livramentos', it's quite exciting actually.....but, it shouldn't be at the expense of experienced and established players. We need a mix of both.

Like you say it feels like the club is blowing smoke up it's arse again thinking it's won the formula with the Tino deal.

Exactly. Get one or two in a summer brilliant, but not when we’re desperate for quality in key positions. Still we know best.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

I think, generically, a "Tino" is referred to as signing a young talent. (I've always liked those sort of deals).

But the actual Tino deal is a very rare thing.  Actually signing a cut-price academy player of the year for a Top 4 side who walks into your team isn't going to happen that often at all.