Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

8 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

The scousers blab on about how Man City bought the league etc but they fail to mention their own wage bill which I saw quoted as bigger than Burnley, Watford, Norwich, Leeds and Brentford combined 

its about three times our own wage bill. How the hell can we hope to compete with them? The top sides are in a different league completely spending wise. I guess you need to do it differently. Buy youth and build something? Trouble is, the best youth is still acquired by the big clubs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, swannymere said:

Whilst that is true, they have only spent a small amount when offset against their sales, mainly from Coutinho to Barca would be my guess.

and they have made a shit load from their multiple successful CL runs.

• Like 1

Just now, Chez said:

and they have made a shit load from their multiple successful CL runs.

The rich get richer as they say. Your point about the best youth being acquired by the big clubs is increasingly more and more true - Chelsea, Man City etc. I guess that's where we see the opportunity these days, but we're not the only ones. Brighton are currently successful picking up these youth players who can't see a route through to the first team and there will increasingly be more clubs in our bracket doing it

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Maybe slightly too early to say this, but based on our links and rumours thus far it does seem as if we're still fixated on the £10-15m Market. That's why Pope for £20-25m was never a goer. Our seemingly fixed budget won't get you much other than unproven up-coming players, or maybe if you're lucky a star from a lesser league (but that's pretty rare, as even those level of players cost upwards of £15m now).

It's a huge risk when the experienced players we have are all pretty shit bar 1 or 2.

2 to 3 Tinos in the £10-15mill market.

Please do not overlook the facetiousness this post is riddled with.  I thank you.

50 minutes ago, Chez said:

It really is the plan. 

Ralph made his choice, McCarthy has the contract and that's that.

Forster made the choice is probably a more realistic way to put it... unless the choice you wanted was for us to let both keepers go for a free?

33 minutes ago, St.Patrik said:

Signing a goalie without having a goalkeeping coach seems odd? But what do I know? OR is he still around?? The GK coach of course : )

I wouldn't be that surprised if big Willy joined longer term in a coaching role.

• Like 1

Just now, Saint86 said:

I wouldn't be that surprised if big Willy joined longer term in a coaching role.

For me it's very important that Willy stays, as there is still plenty of mileage left in the Willy joke writing department.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Chez said:

Probably wont make anyone feel better, but every penny we spend on a keeper is a penny we can't spend on a striker...and we do need one of those, among other needs.

Exactly, we need a GK but i think Id rather our outfield positions were of sufficient quality first

1 hour ago, Chez said:

It annoys me when people say `where has the money gone?' in some sort of insinuation that the owner ha been cyphering off large amounts for himself. The accounts tell you everything. Wages are massive and general operating expenditure is also massive. We lose a shit load on players that don't work out and we haven't be makign a huge amount on player sales for some time.

The wage bill is still high - not when compared to others of course, but as Forster and his monster wage departs JWP's new monster contract replaces it.

We’ve been shambolically run it’s as simple as that. All that nonsense about is being a well run club was BS. The only club in that been in the premier league a decent amount of time with a sell to buy strategy and even then we’ve not got a pot to piss in. The obsession with trying to be clever and believing our own hype. Rather than buying 3-4 quality players for c£30m that address the fundemental weaknesses in the team weve gone through endless players at sub £15m no where near good enough. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, St.Patrik said:

Signing a goalie without having a goalkeeping coach seems odd? But what do I know? OR is he still around?? The GK coach of course : )

Andrew Sparkes is the GK Coach - he didn’t get sacked.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, St.Patrik said:

OR is he still around?? The GK coach of course : )

Andrew Sparkes, the goalkeeping coach is still at Saints. Oops, already answered above!

Edited by CamSaint
Already answered by someone else

16 minutes ago, Turkish said:

We’ve been shambolically run it’s as simple as that. All that nonsense about is being a well run club was BS. The only club in that been in the premier league a decent amount of time with a sell to buy strategy and even then we’ve not got a pot to piss in. The obsession with trying to be clever and believing our own hype. Rather than buying 3-4 quality players for c£30m that address the fundemental weaknesses in the team weve gone through endless players at sub £15m no where near good enough. 

It's about getting the right players regardless of their price. I wouldn't trust the club with c£30m signings either. Other clubs are extremely wasteful in that ballpark too. Everton have spent a fortune of players in that range and narrowly avoided relegation. Our "model" of buy low-sell high and repeat has not worked for years now because it goes to shit as soon as you get a couple wrong. 

45 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Forster made the choice is probably a more realistic way to put it... unless the choice you wanted was for us to let both keepers go for a free?

Forster possibly didn't want to sign any contract (because of the way he had been treated) so Ralph's hand may have been forced, but there was a point 18 months ago that he had both keepers playing towards the end of the season and he seemed to make his mind up that McCarthy was his number 1. With that decision, Forster's mind would have been made up, if it wasn't already. Ralph made a judgement call and it hasn't worked out quite as planned.

If it was a computer game, as gamers/managers we'd of let both go, well I would, but in real life that was never going to happen.

25 minutes ago, Turkish said:

knowing us we'd of gone through endless c£30m players with a similar success rate.

25 minutes ago, Turkish said:

They’re not endless though, we have to sell a player just to afford one in that price bracket. If you add up the total price we paid for every player in our squad, what does it come to? I can’t be arsed adding it all up but I’ll bet if you divided it by £30m you’d probably end up with about five players.

1 hour ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

The scousers blab on about how Man City bought the league etc but they fail to mention their own wage bill which I saw quoted as bigger than Burnley, Watford, Norwich, Leeds and Brentford combined 

Liverpool are extra extra special as we know, but I think at last count Klippity had spent something approaching £600m since 2016, plus close on £118m in agents fees putting them second behind Dortmund in world football during that period.  They seem to do good transfer business but it involves a lot of sharp practice and sweetening and compared to a provincial club like Saints the numbers are eye-watering and we can't hope to compete - you'd think more football 'journalists' would highlight these growing disparities.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, John B said:

How do you know that

I'm clearly not going to tell you on a public forum. All I will say is that I was told this from 2 different people, one with a connection to England and one connected with Saints (they don't know each other but both know FF personally).

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Liverpool are extra extra special as we know, but I think at last count Klippity had spent something approaching £600m since 2016, plus close on £118m in agents fees putting them second behind Dortmund in world football during that period.  They seem to do good transfer business but it involves a lot of sharp practice and sweetening and compared to a provincial club like Saints the numbers are eye-watering and we can't hope to compete - you'd think more football 'journalists' would highlight these growing disparities.  

Like a lot of people I was irritated by the talk  breakaway super league or whatever it was called, now I wish it would happen.

51 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

https://www.footballtransfers.com/en/transfer-news/uk-premier-league/2022/02/manchester-united-news-man-utds-10-year-net-transfer-spend-tops-1bn

20 hours ago, Midlandsaint said:

You react with a “confused face” to my reply, then again belittle others for their opinion, you truly are deluded as to your own personality. 

I imagine MLG to be like Jacob Rees-Mogg.
Thinks sounding intelligent makes him intelligent, and subsequently looks down on everyone else. 🤣

In terms of my original “pathetic” point, I meant more from a club ambition point of view given our league positions for a number of years and our flirting with relegation, hence an established, experienced goalkeeper is a smarter option by the club than a goalkeeper that hasn’t played above League one (in club football). 👍🏻

Edited by FarehamSaintJames
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Forster possibly didn't want to sign any contract (because of the way he had been treated) so Ralph's hand may have been forced, but there was a point 18 months ago that he had both keepers playing towards the end of the season and he seemed to make his mind up that McCarthy was his number 1. With that decision, Forster's mind would have been made up, if it wasn't already. Ralph made a judgement call and it hasn't worked out quite as planned.

If it was a computer game, as gamers/managers we'd of let both go, well I would, but in real life that was never going to happen.

I don't think its that. He was on just shy of £100k per week here. There is no way we were offering him that on what will probably be his retirement contract - not given his form, ability, and injuries. Whereas in reality Spurs are paying him the same wage for the same role - but at a bigger club with a chance of European football and silverware.

I don't disagree with you though that Forster's decision making probably wasn't helped by Macca seemingly being #1 choice, but then equally it may have been the case that Forster made his decision to see out his contract last season and this was why we went with Macca. I maintain that letting them both go for free would be an error though regardless, replacing either of them will cost a minimum of £10m which is unnecessary when the reality is we just need a competent keeper and aren't exactly flush. Bazunu looks to be of a similar standard, but has a lot of potential, lower wages, and future resale value.

Edited by Saint86

58 minutes ago, Katalinic said:

I'm clearly not going to tell you on a public forum. All I will say is that I was told this from 2 different people, one with a connection to England and one connected with Saints (they don't know each other but both know FF personally).

Perhaps he disliked Ralph's seeming inability to notice a terrible goalkeeper compared to an alright one whose inclusion in the team corresponded with a jump in form. Just saying. I fear this blindness is replicated in how bad players have to get before he takes them off and playing players in their wrong positions. Still maintain that we should have bitten the bullet and gone for a different strategy. Because this one is too rigid. (unless we get a very good number two in the way that i hope the new keeper is a new number '2' (ie 1).

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Dman said:

Makes you wonder how much Armstrong would be worth, given his higher ceiling and all that!?

No wonder Middlesbrough are so desperate to take him on loan before footballs best secret gets out

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

I don't think its that. He was on just shy of £100k per week here. There is no way we were offering him that on what will probably be his retirement contract - not given his form, ability, and injuries. Whereas in reality Spurs are paying him the same wage for the same role - but at a bigger club with a chance of European football and silverware.

I don't disagree with you though that Forster's decision making probably wasn't helped by Macca seemingly being #1 choice, but then equally it may have been the case that Forster made his decision to see out his contract last season and this was why we went with Macca. I maintain that letting them both go for free would be an error though regardless, replacing either of them will cost a minimum of £10m which is unnecessary when the reality is we just need a competent keeper and aren't exactly flush. Bazunu looks to be of a similar standard, but has a lot of potential, lower wages, and future resale value.

When Forster was farmed out on loan, that will have been the end of the relationship between Forster and Ralph. Ralph compounded that when he decided McCarthy was the better option 18 months ago. He was leaving from that moment onwards. 

I see your point abut not letting both go as it would cost us to bring in two keepers, but we could for example have signed Johnstone on a free. Whether he is actually a better keeper I don't know.  

The Athletic Watford Correspondent says Saints are one of the teams who has an interest in Emmanuel Dennis, but that he is just on a list of targets at this stage.

Watford would want £20-£25m.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dusic said:

The Athletic Watford Correspondent says Saints are one of the teams who has an interest in Emmanuel Dennis, but that he is just on a list of targets at this stage.

Very good player. Doubt we'll get him. 

35 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Honestly, how can they justify asking for that much? He cost them £3m, they were relegated and bar a purple patch at the start of the season he has been extremely average ever since. 1 goal since Dec I think.

They'll need to half that asking price and then some to get any bites.

21 hours ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Every club to have won the league since about 1960 has bought it. They have money. Why wouldn't they spend it? This "they bought the league" crap is as tedious as people who whinge about teams "parking the bus" because their own team couldn't break them down.

8 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Every club to have won the league since about 1960 has bought it. They have money. Why wouldn't they spend it? This "they bought the league" crap is as tedious as people who whinge about teams "parking the bus" because their own team couldn't break them down.

It's true, if they have the money they'll spend it. But what annoys people is that Liverpool are painted as plucky underdogs doing it the right way, not with the budget of Man City/PSG etc. 

Bullshit to that. They have spent fortunes which is why they are successful, not because they're plucky underdogs.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It's true, if they have the money they'll spend it. But what annoys people is that Liverpool are painted as plucky underdogs doing it the right way, not with the budget of Man City/PSG etc. 

Bullshit to that. They have spent fortunes which is why they are successful, not because they're plucky underdogs.

It's what the scousers do, not just in football. Reference to the moaning about "parking the bus" - go on RAWK any weekend and this is their biggest gripe. Klopp says it all the time. Yeah, like teams should go there, go toe to toe and get on the end of a thrashing. I can't think of any manager who would... err.. be stupid enough to do that 🙂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Is it Adam Leventhal?  He’s very well connected there.