Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

8 hours ago, Chez said:

Bale was `injured' pretty much the entire season, yet missed just three games when loaned out to Spurs the year before. Perhaps some of those injuries at Real were not injuries?

IIRC he only managed one full 90 minutes for Spurs. He certainly seems to be one of those players who if he has niggles then he doesn't 'feel right' to play, unless its for Wales of course. 

I mean any club that signs him will get at best about 3 months of him bothering before the world cup, with probably the last 3-4 games before the world cup of him taking it easy to not get injured, then once Wales get knocked out of the World Cup you are going to have an expensive weight on the bench that can't be bothered anymore. 

Minimum he'll get probably a two year contract and the guy was on £500k a week, we'd have to make him our highest earner, so north of £100k a week, a decent signing on fee likely to be many millions so probably looking at a £20 million outlay for potentially a dozen PL games of him being bothered. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

It was quite an incredible achievement

I imagine it was difficult because for best part of an hour Monaco were trying to confirm it wasn’t a scam

Can you imagine the scenes in their boardroom 😂

• Haha 1

I'm Swedish and i follow our national team and and i though that i would give my honest opinion about Mattias Svanberg.

He's not a fast winger, he's not a DM, he's not a creative AM. He's a hard working midfielder with a good shot, can dribble a bit and a decent passer. A less technical Stuart Armstrong. Would rather give Smallbone another chance. If i had to choose between Svanberg and Elyounoussi i would chose Elyounoussi.

Would rather invest in a good DM. If we want to go Swedish i would go for Jesper Karlström (Lech Poznan) or Jens Cajuste (Reims. Cajuste is one for the future).

Realistic swedish strikers we could and maby should go for are Jesper Karlsson (AZ Alkmaar) or Viktor Gyökeres(Coventry).

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, kjurwi said:

I'm Swedish and i follow our national team and and i though that i would give my honest opinion about Mattias Svanberg.

He's not a fast winger, he's not a DM, he's not a creative AM. He's a hard working midfielder with a good shot, can dribble a bit and a decent passer. A less technical Stuart Armstrong. Would rather give Smallbone another chance. If i had to choose between Svanberg and Elyounoussi i would chose Elyounoussi.

Would rather invest in a good DM. If we want to go Swedish i would go for Jesper Karlström (Lech Poznan) or Jens Cajuste (Reims. Cajuste is one for the future).

Realistic swedish strikers we could and maby should go for are Jesper Karlsson (AZ Alkmaar) or Viktor Gyökeres(Coventry).

Thank you for your perspective. Much appreciated.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, St.Patrik said:

Swedish media says Saints have made 100mill - Swedish money about £8.5M bid for Swedish midfielder Mattias Svanberg from Bologna. He´s currently at the Swedish camp for the upcoming games and says after the weekend he and his agent will share more news. Don´t shoot the messenger here please ; )

Likes a tackle and a pop at goal:

Edits his own Wikipedia page

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mattias_Svanberg

What's not to like?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, kjurwi said:

Sound a bit like Højbjerg?

30 minutes ago, kjurwi said:

Based on that video, he looks a much better player than Smallbone, so for a relatively small fee, I'd say he looks pretty good.

49 minutes ago, kjurwi said:

Thanks for your view on him ( a view from someone who has seen him play). That’s not too encouraging to be honest but if he signs can hope he exceeds your expectation.

I can’t believe he’s made his way to Italy if he’s behind Smallbone or Elynoussi. Perhaps we’re not marketing our ‘surplus’ players correctly. 

43 minutes ago, disconnect said:

Based on that video, he looks a much better player than Smallbone, so for a relatively small fee, I'd say he looks pretty good.

He's not a bad player, but i don't think he's a player who will make that big of a difference att Saints right now and not the sort of player i think we need. 

17 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Southampton forward 'would love' Bale to make St Mary's return | Daily Echo

Notice how Theo is quoted as saying "I'd love him there" as opposed to "here"

Walcott's thinking is on a par with his playing. Bale was a great player for us back in the day but he is a different proposition now. His main interest apart from golf is to be playing for Wales at the World Cup. In the few months between the start of the season and the WC, Bale will be just doing the minimum to keep fit and avoid any injury. His heart and mind won't be in furthering Southampton's ambitions so I can't see any value in paying him to just mark time when the money could be better spent elsewhere.

4 minutes ago, kjurwi said:

He's not a bad player, but i don't think he's a player who will make that big of a difference att Saints right now and not the sort of player i think we need. 

Fair enough - thanks for the response and insight. Personally, I just thought he looked like he could pick a pass, make a tackle and have a shot, which is something I think we've been lacking from say a second or third choice central midfield player. Looks a little more dynamic than Romeu, but that's obviously just from a very limited viewpoint. I'd prioritise a more creative attacking player, but I'm not against this one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kjurwi said:

Thanks for that insight. Sounds like precisely the kind of middling, unremarkable performer Ralph likes.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be against Minamino either. Certainly more of a goalscorer than any of our #10s. Scored 10 in 800 odd minutes last season and is a known quantity.

Could do far worse and sure he will do pretty well wherever he does end up.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Well it mentions his successful loan spell here....soo 😅

To be fair he looked quite good when he joined within a few weeks of Ralph waving his magic wand he regressed and was fitting right in with the rest of the squad 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Turkish said:

To be fair he looked quite good when he joined within a few weeks of Ralph waving his magic wand he regressed and was fitting right in with the rest of the squad 

Yes, another inverse Midas touch back there. Looked good for Liverpool against us too. Any news on new coaching set up for us?

14 hours ago, tajjuk said:

IIRC he only managed one full 90 minutes for Spurs. He certainly seems to be one of those players who if he has niggles then he doesn't 'feel right' to play, unless its for Wales of course. 

I mean any club that signs him will get at best about 3 months of him bothering before the world cup, with probably the last 3-4 games before the world cup of him taking it easy to not get injured, then once Wales get knocked out of the World Cup you are going to have an expensive weight on the bench that can't be bothered anymore. 

Minimum he'll get probably a two year contract and the guy was on £500k a week, we'd have to make him our highest earner, so north of £100k a week, a decent signing on fee likely to be many millions so probably looking at a £20 million outlay for potentially a dozen PL games of him being bothered. 

Fair point, and I don't see any reason why he should rejoin Saints, who are we to him these days? but if he goes to Cardiff, then it certainly wont be on the basis of a £20m outlay.

Saints aren’t going in for Minamino, and certainly not at that money. He’s 27 years old now and a long way from the Saints model of transfer.

I was never much of a fan of him from his loan spell here, too lightweight and didn’t influence games enough.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Minamino gets goals in limited minutes at Liverpool because of the quality of chances created for him by the other much better forward players. Was not impressed with his ability to influence a game himself when he was with us.

I struggle to get that Newcastle goal out of my head. Such a blistering strike. He has a good touch and clearly can finish, but he just didn't have much of an impact in a lot of the games last time. You just wanted him to get on the ball more, take the game by the scruff of the neck and cause problems. He just never seemed to get in between the lines. It was all really disappointing after such a great start. Are there any extenuating circumstances that we can point to? 

33 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Saints aren’t going in for Minamino, and certainly not at that money. He’s 27 years old now and a long way from the Saints model of transfer.

I was never much of a fan of him from his loan spell here, too lightweight and didn’t influence games enough.

another player that hasn't cut it at a big club, yet they still want paying. They got him for peanuts and should not get any more than peanuts in return. Annoys me when the likes of Liverpool make a huge profit on a `failed' signing.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Chez said:

I struggle to get that Newcastle goal out of my head. Such a blistering strike. He has a good touch and clearly can finish, but he just didn't have much of an impact in a lot of the games last time. You just wanted him to get on the ball more, take the game by the scruff of the neck and cause problems. He just never seemed to get in between the lines. It was all really disappointing after such a great start. Are there any extenuating circumstances that we can point to? 

In his defence he was here at our most injury ravaged time, also,  he may be better if he was allowed to play with more freedom, like a lot of flair players.