Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

18 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Svanberg looks a sensible signing but Im not entirely sure where he suits our current system really, he’s not a No.10 and he isn’t a DM

He’s played the majority of his football in central midfield, more than likely more suited to JWPs position

He’s tall, athletic, good progressive passer of the ball… Im just not sure who he is replacing 

He’s replacing Smallbone in the “talented, but doesn’t suit the formation” role.

1 hour ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Svanberg looks a sensible signing but Im not entirely sure where he suits our current system really, he’s not a No.10 and he isn’t a DM

He’s played the majority of his football in central midfield, more than likely more suited to JWPs position

He’s tall, athletic, good progressive passer of the ball… Im just not sure who he is replacing 

Good point. The Youtube video I watched makes him look like Stuart Armstrong. Not sure what his best position is either.

Buy a few half decent midfielders and maybe the current system can evolved, enhanced or be chucked in the bin where it belongs (depending on your opinion)?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

He’s replacing Smallbone in the “talented, but doesn’t suit the formation” role.

he plays more of the passive and watching the game go on around him role

• Like 2

It's a funny old thread, this one! I know people like to have their groans, and their speculative punts, but why do some have to shoot down any suggestions or offerings from other contributors?

None of us know what sort of money the club are willing to spend, and the transfer window is not open yet, and it appears most of the links come from 'clickbait' articles.

It would be nice (for me) to think that someone from the club is looking at the French, Turkish, or Italian leagues, and of course the names suggested won't have 'Prem experience'. But where did the Mahrezes and Tielemens come from? If Saints want ready-made Prem stars, why not just pop up the road and buy in Salah, de Bruyne and Kane? (I think I may already know the answer to that...)

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Chez said:

Good point. The Youtube video I watched makes him look like Stuart Armstrong. Not sure what his best position is either.

Buy a few half decent midfielders and maybe the current system can evolved, enhanced or be chucked in the bin where it belongs (depending on your opinion)?

Bit more depth on him here https://breakingthelines.com/player-analysis/player-analysis-mattias-svanberg/

Could be a handy signing, some height and physicality, decent technically and athletically. 10m Euros seems low though, be interesting to see if the club goes back with a larger bid. Bologna were talking about 20m Euros, maybe 15m Euros and meet in the middle?

1 hour ago, saint1977 said:

Bit more depth on him here https://breakingthelines.com/player-analysis/player-analysis-mattias-svanberg/

Could be a handy signing, some height and physicality, decent technically and athletically. 10m Euros seems low though, be interesting to see if the club goes back with a larger bid. Bologna were talking about 20m Euros, maybe 15m Euros and meet in the middle?

Thanks a lot very interesting 😊

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Converting central midfielders into the no. 10 role is the way to go IMO. This guy looks like a player - love the first finish on that YouTube video

• Like 1

A couple of names mentioned here, are on the beeb today...

Manchester United ... are also willing to sell England Under-21 defender Brandon Williams, 21. (Manchester Evening News)

Brentford are preparing to make relegated Watford an offer for £20m-rated Nigeria forward Emmanuel Dennis, 24

7 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Our overwhelming need is for a leader. Someone who is mentally tough who can instill a bit of backbone and fight into the rest. That person won’t be found in Serie A or the like. Anyone know what Jimmy Case is doing these days?

You can't trust those lazy foreigners with no backbone or fight.

Fucking pathetic.

• Like 11

21 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

You can't trust those lazy foreigners with no backbone or fight.

Fucking pathetic.

Bit of a snowflakey response don’t you think? 
I think his point is a fair one, we need a leader who has experience of the English game, understands what makes English fans tick. No need for you to get all wounded over it. Do you have green hair and eat tofu? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dorchester Saint said:

I think his point is a fair one, we need a leader who has experience of the English game, understands what makes English fans tick. No need for you to get all wounded over it. Do you have green hair and eat tofu? 

You seem awfully upset at the very idea that someone who isn't English could come into our team and lead it.

Dry your eyes, sweetheart.

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Our overwhelming need is for a leader. Someone who is mentally tough who can instill a bit of backbone and fight into the rest. That person won’t be found in Serie A or the like. Anyone know what Jimmy Case is doing these days?

Wouldn’t want some wet lettuce like Gattuso, Cannavaro or Maldini in your team.

• Like 18

1 hour ago, Dorchester Saint said:

He doesn't mention the English game or understanding what English fans tick once so that's not what his post comes across as and also the idea the idea that someone needs to understand "the English game" or "what makes English fans tick" is still pathetic. It's quite literally the same game across the world. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Dorchester Saint said:

I think his point is a fair one

It wasn't and neither was yours, its complete nonsense to suggest we can't get a leader or someone committed etc. outside of England.  A lot of the captains and vice captains in the PL will not be English, you telling me players like Fernandinho, De Bruyne, Pontus Jannson, Van Dijk, Azpilicueta etc. are not good leaders? 

• Like 12
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

That's a pretty dated view in my eyes. 

It should be filed in the ''We have to play 4-4-2'' and the ''Just get it in the box'' category.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

It wasn't and neither was yours, its complete nonsense to suggest we can't get a leader or someone committed etc. outside of England.  A lot of the captains and vice captains in the PL will not be English, you telling me players like Fernandinho, De Bruyne, Pontus Jannson, Van Dijk, Azpilicueta etc. are not good leaders? 

True but those names would not join southampton or in Van Dijk's case stay very long. 

16 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Funny that when we had a player like Dusan Tadic who was very much a leader and model pro he would get slated for moaning at others instead of instilling backbone.

He was no leader by any definition, I liked him a lot but he had a tendency to go regularly MIA.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Toussaint said:

He was no leader by any definition, I liked him a lot but he had a tendency to go regularly MIA.

If you are clueless then perhaps. Loads of players at the time he said he trained with the most intensity and always wanted to win, demanding the same of his teammates.

Physically really looked after himself so nearly always available.

Always wanted and took the ball under pressure and demanded high standards of others.

To me that is a leader. Ajax clearly agree.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

“He arrived confident in his conviction that you could control a game and set the rhythm for your team with a central midfielder who was neither particularly strong nor overly physical. This is what he had done in the past with Xavi at Barcelona and Joshua Kimmich at Bayern.

But he quickly found out that approach did not work in the Premier League. In England, you need a central midfielder who is powerful in aerial battles and wins 50-50s. Rodri is a good example of what he thinks he needs. Also, he expects his central midfielders to act as a defender when a centre-back moves forward, so they must have the physicality to cope with being in that position.”

“His view on refereeing is also well known – he is firmly of the belief English referees are far more lenient than their continental counterparts. This has also affected his decision making, as he feels you need players who are physically bigger and stronger to cope with it. If you get knocked down, you’d better get up and be ready to go again as clashes do not get rewarded with fouls as often as they do anywhere else“

“Guardiola accepts that sometimes control and possession is not enough. Tactical acumen takes a temporary back seat to raw courage as emotions take over and it becomes a case of ‘all hands to the pump’ as an opponent piles forward.

This is one area where he knows things can be improved. Ruben Dias displays a calmness and clarity in his decision making in moments of stress and panic. He is an example to follow.“

https://bbcfootball.info/how-english-football-changed-guardiola/

5 minutes ago, Dusic said:

If you are clueless then perhaps. Loads of players at the time he said he trained with the most intensity and always wanted to win, demanding the same of his teammates.

Always wanted and took the ball under pressure and demanded high standards of others.

I think you are the one who is clueless. Great player but not a leader by any means.  I think you are better than that.

• Like 2

I'm far from convinced with Svanberg to be honest. We don't need another player that doesn't suit the system. We already have Diallo to fill that role. I'm always sceptical of signings from Serie A as well. To say they've been hit and miss for us is putting it mildly.

From memory:

Ramirez - Decent on his day with a hopeful first season but ultimately ill-suited to the league. He never kicked on and ended up loaned out to Hull City.

Osvaldo - Never settled. Despite some memorable goals, his attitude stank which came to a head with a training ground bust up.

Hoedt - Expensive flop and another with a poor attitude.

Gabbiadini - Probably our best signing from Serie A. Sadly coincided with Mark Hughes' reign. Hit the ground running but lost all form after injury and returned to Italy with 10 goals after the equivalent of 2 seasons.

Lyanco - The most erratic defender I've seen in a Saints shirt. His attitude seems pretty good and I think it rubs off on his teammates. Doesn't remove the fact he's not improved the first 11. Decent for the price though.

Most of these players came at huge expense. We also made a loss on all of them after they left (Lyanco pending) which contradicts our transfer philosophy. You can even look at the likes of Pogba and Lukaku as further examples. There are clearly fundamental differences in the way the two leagues play football. Tammy Abraham has lit up at Roma but couldn't make an impact for Chelsea.

I know my reasoning is a little tenuous but Svanberg has hardly lit up Serie A. He's been average. I'd like to think this is a genius bit of scouting but I can't help wondering if this is just the cheap option.

31 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Are you saying someone who doesn’t share your view is clueless? Wow

59 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I’m England, we expect captains to be like Roy Keane. 

like the famed cult of the England captain. 

all ridiculous 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Funny that when we had a player like Dusan Tadic who was very much a leader and model pro he would get slated for moaning at others instead of instilling backbone.

He was hardly a model pro. Late to training on multiple occasions and even arrived late to games more than once.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm far from convinced with Svanberg to be honest. We don't need another player that doesn't suit the system. We already have Diallo to fill that role. I'm always sceptical of signings from Serie A as well. To say they've been hit and miss for us is putting it mildly.

From memory:

Ramirez - Decent on his day with a hopeful first season but ultimately ill-suited to the league. He never kicked on and ended up loaned out to Hull City.

Osvaldo - Never settled. Despite some memorable goals, his attitude stank which came to a head with a training ground bust up.

Hoedt - Expensive flop and another with a poor attitude.

Gabbiadini - Probably our best signing from Serie A. Sadly coincided with Mark Hughes' reign. Hit the ground running but lost all form after injury and returned to Italy with 10 goals after the equivalent of 2 seasons.

Lyanco - The most erratic defender I've seen in a Saints shirt. His attitude seems pretty good and I think it rubs off on his teammates. Doesn't remove the fact he's not improved the first 11. Decent for the price though.

Most of these players came at huge expense. We also made a loss on all of them after they left (Lyanco pending) which contradicts our transfer philosophy. You can even look at the likes of Pogba and Lukaku as further examples. There are clearly fundamental differences in the way the two leagues play football. Tammy Abraham has lit up at Roma but couldn't make an impact for Chelsea.

I know my reasoning is a little tenuous but Svanberg has hardly lit up Serie A. He's been average. I'd like to think this is a genius bit of scouting but I can't help wondering if this is just the cheap option.

Having watched the YouTube clips, he looks reasonably strong, quick feet under pressure (but not someone to dribble at defences), very right footed, decent placed finish on him, reasonable corner delivery, and most strikingly of all, someone who will make quick and decisive passes up the pitch for players to run onto... (Which is specifically something that we need). 

He would do nicely in our team as a part of a midfield 3 with romeu as the defensive mid and JWP box to box. 

Failing that, he could possibly replace JWP in a midfield 2.

He can maybe do a stu Armstrong style job on the right, but given his best asset seems to be passing and vision, that would seem to be a waste of him.

Ultimatley though, he looks a decent player that would improve on most of our midfield / CAMs.

Edited by Saint86

Also, on this requirement for captains to be English... You lot being serious? Which one of you is going to call up chielini and let him know he's a rubbish captain with no backbone? Probably fair if said person also let's Neuer / Ronaldo / Lloris know whilst there at it as well? 👍.

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

That's a pretty dated view in my eyes. 

It should be filed in the ''We have to play 4-4-2'' and the ''Just get it in the box'' category.

Well I am a pretty “dated” sort of guy unfortunately. Nothing whatsoever against foreigners most of whom have far better technique than home grown players. I just think to lead and inspire a team in front of English fans then you have a certain kind of commitment and awareness. That sort of leadership quality is more likely to have been nurtured in this country than abroad. And no CB I didn’t vote for Brexit as I think Europe to be a civilised place to live and bring up your families but I still reckon when it comes to grit and determination on a football pitch you are more likely to find it homegrown. Just my opinion of course apologies in advance if that view offends. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

That's because when we had Tadic he showed no leadership qualities of any sort. Model pro, my arse.

• Haha 1

Summer 1962 Transfer Window apparently.

Regarding Svanberg, the two people I know who've seen him play (Swedish & Italian) both laughed when I suggested we were in the running to sign him. In the "you're not gonna be able to get him" sense rather than the "that bloke is shit", that is.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Well I am a pretty “dated” sort of guy unfortunately. Nothing whatsoever against foreigners most of whom have far better technique than home grown players. I just think to lead and inspire a team in front of English fans then you have a certain kind of commitment and awareness. That sort of leadership quality is more likely to have been nurtured in this country than abroad. And no CB I didn’t vote for Brexit as I think Europe to be a civilised place to live and bring up your families but I still reckon when it comes to grit and determination on a football pitch you are more likely to find it homegrown. Just my opinion of course apologies in advance if that view offends. 

Why apologise for your opinion? It’s your opinion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Who mentioned Brexit? Not me.

I think you need to actually look at the Premier League in 2022 and work out exactly how many teams are built around English "grit and determination" and "a certain type of commitment and awareness" that only English players can possibly have.

Your opinion is just a nonsense and reads like the thoughts of someone who has been cryogenically frozen for the last 25 years.

I'm not offended by it, it is just moronic.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

I’ve heard Bale is coming back!

Some geezer told me at the train station last night, so it must be true.

The case for Bale returning:

Gareth Bale is without a club. If Wales qualify for the WC on Sunday, he will need a club to keep match fit. At 33, and having earned a fortune at RM, money won't be a motivator for him. In fact, it would probably only be the WC that would keep him from retiring altogether, so he'd only want a 1 year contract. None of the top 10 Prem clubs will want a player for just a year, whose motivation may fade after the WC ends in Dec. He wouldn't want to play at Championship level. Ideally, he would want somewhere familiar, where he wouldn't have to waste time settling in. Therefore, If Wales qualify for the WC, Bale will sign for Saints.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Dated or not this is just generic waffle with little basis and it's very easy to come back at you with even more generic stereotypes and argue the complete opposite that the problem England have had over the years has not been their lack of technique but their mental side of the game and this is what cost them against a Serie A heavy side against Italy last year but whatever. I'm actually intrigued to know which players you have in mind who can offer the grit, determination and leadership you so desire...apart from Jimmy Case...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Who mentioned Brexit? Not me.

I think you need to actually look at the Premier League in 2022 and work out exactly how many teams are built around English "grit and determination" and "a certain type of commitment and awareness" that only English players can possibly have.

Your opinion is just a nonsense and reads like the thoughts of someone who has been cryogenically frozen for the last 25 years.

I'm not offended by it, it is just moronic.

Shocker, CB doesn't like FF's opinion. 

Who are considered good captains nowadays anyway, really ?

Someone who inspires their team and can turn it around using their own force of will, I dont think there are many.

Thinking De bruyne, Benzema and then I'm struggling.

Most captains seem to be either the best player or one whose been their the longest and I really don't think captains like Keane could exist in the modern game anymore as there would be too much sulking.