Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

55 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Hennessy's greatest career moment: 

"Hennessey argued that he did not know what a Nazi salute was and the FA panel noted that "when cross-examined about this Mr Hennessey displayed a very considerable - one might even say lamentable - degree of ignorance about anything to do with Hitler, Fascism and the Nazi regime".

The whole episode was mind boggling. Almost as impressive was how there are actual photographs of him doing it on the pitch in his defence.

Clearly nobody at the club was prepared to enlighten him, so I can only hope that Putin has provided him with all the latest research materials on the Nazis since then.

It's a big conundrum to whoever gets Bale.  You have to be realistic and say that the club will be his training ground for the World Cup, no more than that.

He'll do enough to keep fit, but I can't imagine him pulling up any trees at the fear of missing his 'last hurrah' through an injury. Potentially a lot of money to be spent on someone who will always put the club 2nd.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 5

Thing is, yeah it’s unrealistic. Yeah it’s probably not right to try and turn the clock back and reclaim former glories. But it would still send out a message. And maybe attract a better calibre of players around him. Also a bit more uplifting than a Polish keeper who is going out on loan without ever touching the place. We can dream. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

It's a big conundrum to whoever gets Bale.  You have to be realistic and say that the club will be his training ground for the World Cup, no more than that.

He'll do enough to keep fit, but I can't imagine him pulling up any trees at the fear of missing his 'last hurrah' through an injury. Potentially a lot of money to be spent on someone who will always put the club 2nd.

Why not - if the chance is there.  For old time sake, and he is someone who does score goals .

He's probably never seen Staplewood as it is now, and we could see if he can lodge with the host family from his Academy days... (haha)

Be nice to have a player at the World Cup again, but even if we only sign him for one season.... we'd probably need to mortgage SMS to pay his salary.

32 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

Why not - if the chance is there.  For old time sake, and he is someone who does score goals .

He's probably never seen Staplewood as it is now, and we could see if he can lodge with the host family from his Academy days... (haha)

Be nice to have a player at the World Cup again, but even if we only sign him for one season.... we'd probably need to mortgage SMS to pay his salary.

here's a nice article called: South Wales Evening Post: 'About Where He Wants To Play, Not Money'

img?regionKey=CMW8ZHujJ32NKSaO2py0Pw%3d%3d

Edited by Nolan

11 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

This, 100%.

I was in favour of the "bring him home" Walcott signing but signing Bale would almost inevitably end in tears. 

So, it's a reluctant "no" from me. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, trousers said:

This, 100%.

I was in favour of the "bring him home" Walcott signing but signing Bale would almost inevitably end in tears. 

Agreed. Even on a year contract,there is no guarantee he would be interested in playing after the world Cup. Maybe a six month deal then re-evaluate after to see if he had the motivation to carry on

22 hours ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

Oh man, regardless of the merits of the leadership discussion, saying football means more here than in a country like Germany is quite mad. 

The country is football bonkers, they have bigger stadiums than us, they fill them up, they’re far noisier inside than us, and there’s the small matter of them winning a fair few more world cups than us. 

For my money, a leader, or leaders can come from anywhere. They lead by example, they encourage, they get on people who aren’t performing to keep them at a higher level, they get the best out of others, not make them worse. These people are not exclusively of these islands, and it’s easy to see that we don’t have any more than any other nation. 

I lived in Germany for 8 years and while football is very popular there, it doesn’t have the same level of tribal roots over there as it does here, absolutely not!

To reiterate, I didn’t suggest that any future leader should be ENGLISH, I just would like someone who has experience if the Premier League and the English game. There are many examples of foreign players with that kind of experience.  I wish people wouldn’t go from nought to offended so quickly. (Not you!) 

• Like 1

I don't get this whole "LOLZ WHERE'S THE NEAREST GOLF COURSE TO THIS CLUB THAT BALE'S SIGNING FOR?!?!" stuff.

Is he not allowed to have hobbies and interests away from football? Even if he does value it more than football so what? A lot of people prefer their hobbies to their jobs.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I don't get this whole "LOLZ WHERE'S THE NEAREST GOLF COURSE TO THIS CLUB THAT BALE'S SIGNING FOR?!?!" stuff.

Is he not allowed to have hobbies and interests away from football? Even if he does value it more than football so what? A lot of people prefer their hobbies to their jobs.

I do, it's hilarious, funny, orginal and very apt for Baled out (see what i did there, LMFAO) it never gets old even after 200+ times of hearing it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Christophenburg said:

This absolutely baffles me if true

If anything it makes slightly more sense if we're loaning him to Goztepe. They will soon be part of the Sport Republic wheel, so we're just moving him around within the group.

It seems relativity low risk in the sense that it's free, we've obviously seen something in him and we'll see how he gets on. We will still sign another GK without question.

These 'group' clubs often do this a lot, in some cases they never play for the club who 'own them'. City do it for sure.

1 hour ago, trousers said:

This, 100%.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's a bad player...he obviously 'could' improve us and on form he's still light years ahead of anyone we have, but 'could' is the question mark I have. When you sign a player however good they are you want them to be committed to the cause, otherwise it's a bit pointless. I just cannot see how he'd be committed to club football, he'll use it as a vehicle for wales - no more than that. We play an intense front foot style of football, pressing high up etc - is he going to risk himself being hacked down by getting involved in the high press, or will he just become a passenger stood in space waiting for Redmond to give him the ball? The latter I suspect. He'd never get the ball in that case.

He'd have retired from football had Wales failed yesterday, that probably tells you all you need to know about his club priorities. I'd definitely stay clear, no matter how good a bit of PR it would be.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

If anything it makes slightly more sense if we're loaning him to Goztepe. They will soon be part of the Sport Republic wheel, so we're just moving him around within the group.

It seems relativity low risk in the sense that it's free, we've obviously seen something in him and we'll see how he gets on. We will still sign another GK without question.

These 'group' clubs often do this a lot, in some cases they never play for the club who 'own them'. City do it for sure.

Why not sign him directly to Goztepe? I can't yet see the point of signing him for Saints and then loaning him to a partner club. Hopefully someone can explain.

3 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

What about Henderson? Part of me would Like Ox back but he's a big risk in terms of fitness, we don't want a repeat of the Walcott situation (also on the list) 

Henderson is all but done to Newcastle I think.

On paper you'd say Chamberlain is a no brainer, but it's a massive risk. The guy has always been incredibly injury prone and his knees are shot to pieces, his most recent injury was a potential career ender as he damaged every single knee ligament and cartilage.

He won't be the player we remember bursting through with us, or at the start of his Liverpool career. He could still add something, but there is almost a guarantee he'll become best friends with the physios.

It is a shame because he had all the tools, but injuries have destroyed any progress.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10881759/Premier-League-forgotten-men-club-moving-summer.html

A few big names who have lost their way, for a couple at least age has caught up with them.

I mean, I'd love to see Henderson at the club if we're not making a move for (or cannot afford) Pope. I reckon Duffy and/or Diop would be a defensive upgrade for us, and I still think Lewis has a little something about him. I know Winks is much maligned but, again, I fail to see him not improving our team. And Barkley, too, would surely be a step up on what we have now.

27 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

What about Henderson? Part of me would Like Ox back but he's a big risk in terms of fitness, we don't want a repeat of the Walcott situation (also on the list) 

Yeah but I don't think they're realistic. Even if Ox only played half the games of the season, he's worth it IMO. Vastly superior player to Walcott ever was but there wouldn't be that romantic, sentimental thing that we had with Walcott. It just feels different.

Theo stayed on very good terms with the club, talked us up at every opportunity whilst he was away and seems to genuinely care about Saints (as he also does with Arsenal and to a lesser extent Everton, I think he's just a very nice guy) and this has a great affect on the academy players which several of them have spoken about, whereas Ox not so much. Not saying he hates Saints but he seems to have left us behind a long time ago and not really maintained much contact with the club. Not that that's an issue, like I said, he's a great player and I couldn't really care less whether he loves us or not

2 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Why not sign him directly to Goztepe? I can't yet see the point of signing him for Saints and then loaning him to a partner club. Hopefully someone can explain.

I wonder if he'll go there so we can keep tabs on him. At the same time we will offer Willy a 1 year deal as 3rd keeper with a view to having this chap as number 2 or 3 the season after.

22 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Wouldn't hesitate to take Barkley. Huge upgrade on anything we have. 

A lot of players on that list are upgrades on what we have tbf. Just some of them aren't so much of an upgrade that it's worth shipping them in, getting them settled, shipping someone else out only to have to repeat the process next year. Shane Duffy is an upgrade on what we have but I wouldn't suggest signing him.

2 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

It has something to do with a dispute over his unpaid wages in Izmir, the city where Altay and Göztepe play, and the fact that Göztepe don't need him as they already have a better young goalkeeper in Eğribayat. 

11 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

It has something to do with a dispute over his unpaid wages in Izmir, the city where Altay and Göztepe play, and the fact that Göztepe don't need him as they already have a better young goalkeeper in Eğribayat. 

🤔🤔🤔 Eğribayat you say????? Maybe a swap deal??

38 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

How much have you seen of both keepers this season Dirk? 

Just now, Turkish said:

How much have you seen of both keepers this season Dirk? 

I've seen what is available from beIN SPORTS. They can both make acrobatic saves but the big difference is that Lis tends to always push or slap the ball whereas Eğribayat catches it more. I'd prefer Nick Pope to both of them

1 minute ago, Nordic Saint said:

I've seen what is available from beIN SPORTS. They can both make acrobatic saves but the big difference is that Lis tends to always push or slap the ball whereas Eğribayat catches it more. I'd prefer Nick Pope to both of them

To be fair i'd prefer Nick Pope over all the keepers with been linked with and plenty we havent. When your obession is resale value though rather than fixing a major issue in our squad for 4-5 years we're very unlikely to get him

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nolan said:

I'd be happy with Phil Jones going to Leeds or Fulham too.

I'd take Jones. Does not deserve the stick he gets. He may not be world class but he's brave, puts his body on the line and takes responsibility. I appreciate that, in itself isn't a reason to sign him, he's not a terrible footballer at all.

• Like 2

I thought Diop was a player we should have signed back in 2018. Maybe he was a fraction out of a price range? If West Ham have paid him, then wages may be an issue for us. He seems to have the right physical attributes, power and pace etc. Good age too. Not seen a huge amount of West Ham games. Is he poor on the ball/positionally? Does he make significant mistakes? 

30 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I'd take Jones. Does not deserve the stick he gets. He may not be world class but he's brave, puts his body on the line and takes responsibility. I appreciate that, in itself isn't a reason to sign him, he's not a terrible footballer at all.

Bednarek does that too. Is Jones quicker? Does he make less mistakes? Is he better than Bednarek? Genuine question.

1 minute ago, Chez said:

Bednarek does that too. Is Jones quicker? Does he make less mistakes? Is he better than Bednarek? Genuine question.

Yes, but he's only available 1 game a season whereas Bednarek usually makes 40+.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

Yes, yes and yes IMO.  Bednarek is possibly the worst CB in the league also IMO.

Edited by Bad Wolf
  • Haha 2