Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

1 hour ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Well I am a pretty “dated” sort of guy unfortunately. Nothing whatsoever against foreigners most of whom have far better technique than home grown players. I just think to lead and inspire a team in front of English fans then you have a certain kind of commitment and awareness. That sort of leadership quality is more likely to have been nurtured in this country than abroad. And no CB I didn’t vote for Brexit as I think Europe to be a civilised place to live and bring up your families but I still reckon when it comes to grit and determination on a football pitch you are more likely to find it homegrown. Just my opinion of course apologies in advance if that view offends. 

Patrick Viera and Vincent Kompany agree with you

Thinking about captains made me realise that outside of a few teams I don't even know who their captains are. Not sure it even matters anymore as there will be leaders throughout most teams regardless of whether they have an armband on or not.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

That's because when we had Tadic he showed no leadership qualities of any sort. Model pro, my arse.

Director of football affairs Marc Overmars added: "It is no secret that Dusan plays a very important role for the team. Both on and off the pitch, he is a real leader. So, it’s fantastic that we can keep him at Ajax even longer. Dusan’s fitness is excellent and he will be of great value to Ajax in the coming years."

-------

I'm sure you know better 😆😆😆

• Like 1

I remember having a season ticket around a group of old blokes who absolutely despised Tadic. I started to wonder if he was sleeping with all their wives or something.

If he miss controlled it he had all sorts of insults thrown at him, if a keeper saved a really tricky shot he was shit, if he did something well it was a case of ''well, he's paid well enough he should be doing that'' etc. Similar bile was thrown Pele's way, most of his first season.

Not sure why he divided opinions. He was on a level above anyone else we've seen for years. We've had to put up with Redmond and Moussa running around and doing nothing ever since.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

I remember having a season ticket around a group of old blokes who absolutely despised Tadic. I started to wonder if he was sleeping with all their wives or something.

If he miss controlled it he had all sorts of insults thrown at him, if a keeper saved a really tricky shot he was shit, if he did something well it was a case of ''well, he's paid well enough he should be doing that'' etc. Similar bile was thrown Pele's way, most of his first season.

Not sure why he divided opinions. He was on a level above anyone else we've seen for years. We've had to put up with Redmond and Moussa running around and doing nothing ever since.

I don’t think anyone was questioning his ability, it’s the leadership qualities or lack of that are causing some debate 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Golactico said:

The case for Bale returning:

Gareth Bale is without a club. If Wales qualify for the WC on Sunday, he will need a club to keep match fit. At 33, and having earned a fortune at RM, money won't be a motivator for him. In fact, it would probably only be the WC that would keep him from retiring altogether, so he'd only want a 1 year contract. None of the top 10 Prem clubs will want a player for just a year, whose motivation may fade after the WC ends in Dec. He wouldn't want to play at Championship level. Ideally, he would want somewhere familiar, where he wouldn't have to waste time settling in. Therefore, If Wales qualify for the WC, Bale will sign for Saints.

Good grief, does that mean we have to want Wales to win tomorrow?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3664257/Wales-players-defend-celebrations-England-s-defeat-Iceland-Euro-2016.html

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm far from convinced with Svanberg to be honest. We don't need another player that doesn't suit the system. We already have Diallo to fill that role. I'm always sceptical of signings from Serie A as well. To say they've been hit and miss for us is putting it mildly.

From memory:

Ramirez - Decent on his day with a hopeful first season but ultimately ill-suited to the league. He never kicked on and ended up loaned out to Hull City.

Osvaldo - Never settled. Despite some memorable goals, his attitude stank which came to a head with a training ground bust up.

Hoedt - Expensive flop and another with a poor attitude.

Gabbiadini - Probably our best signing from Serie A. Sadly coincided with Mark Hughes' reign. Hit the ground running but lost all form after injury and returned to Italy with 10 goals after the equivalent of 2 seasons.

Lyanco - The most erratic defender I've seen in a Saints shirt. His attitude seems pretty good and I think it rubs off on his teammates. Doesn't remove the fact he's not improved the first 11. Decent for the price though.

+ Lamina.

Teams from Serie A must love it when Saints come shopping there.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, rooney said:

Tadic reached his peak when Pelle was here. After the latter left his performances tailed off and nobody was too bothered when we sold him.

Other take:  We sold everyone who scored the chances he created…

• Like 10

1 hour ago, rooney said:

Tadic reached his peak when Pelle was here. After the latter left his performances tailed off and nobody was too bothered when we sold him.

Unnecessarily harsh. Played a pretty significant role in keeping us up in the Pellegrino/Hughes season.

• Like 6

I think Tadic is one of those players you look back on and didn’t realise how grateful you should be to have them at the time. Pellè was the same. The whole team oozed quality those two years.

In terms of now Morgan Gibbs-White - isn’t worth a punt of more than £15m. Not sure where journos think Saints will splash out £25m on a player that’s had one good Championship season. It isn’t the Southampton way. I imagine we’ll look to Europe to find a player if equal ability in a really obscure league.

• Like 6

22 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

He doesn't mention the English game or understanding what English fans tick once so that's not what his post comes across as and also the idea the idea that someone needs to understand "the English game" or "what makes English fans tick" is still pathetic. It's quite literally the same game across the world. 

It’s quite obviously NOT the same across the world at all, there are differences culturally and I’d suggest football is a much bigger deal here than say Germany or France.

Back to my original point, there are plenty of examples of foreign players who can be described as leaders and have Premier League experience!!

I’m not at all  surprised however that in this day and age some people  immediately shit their pants at such a suggestion without thinking it through… 🙄 

6 minutes ago, Dorchester Saint said:

Back to my original point, there are plenty of examples of foreign players who can be described as leaders and have Premier League experience!!

I’m not at all  surprised however that in this day and age some people  immediately shit their pants at such a suggestion without thinking it through… 🙄 

Like you, you mean. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Dusic said:

Director of football affairs Marc Overmars added: "It is no secret that Dusan plays a very important role for the team. Both on and off the pitch, he is a real leader. So, it’s fantastic that we can keep him at Ajax even longer. Dusan’s fitness is excellent and he will be of great value to Ajax in the coming years."

-------

I'm sure you know better 😆😆😆

At Ajax. My point and the discussion that lead to it was based on his time AT SOUTHAMPTON. Sorry if that's a little hard for you to understand. Ajax clearly got more out of him than Saints ever did.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Like you, you mean. 

No, like you actually. You’re obviously one of those permanently offended types who spend their days looking for something to be offended by. You literally took my post and twisted it to satisfy your weird lust for faux outrage . Have a nice day petal! 
#CBCry 

Edited by Dorchester Saint

21 minutes ago, Dorchester Saint said:

No, like you actually. You’re obviously one of those permanently offended types who spend their days looking for something to be offended by. You literally took my post and twisted it to satisfy your weird lust for faux outrage . Have a nice day petal! 
#CBCry 

Probably worth going back to my original post and your knee jerk reaction to it. Completely triggered you managed to start blatering about snowflakes and tofu, plus you invested a load of meanings/interpetation into Fitzhugh's post that weren't mentioned by him but you decided were there. 

Eventually, 24 hours later we finally get you to admit: 

47 minutes ago, Dorchester Saint said:

which wasn't your original point, it was mine. 

Thanks for admitting you were wrong in your original reaction. Apology accepted. Happy Sunday.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Probably worth going back to my original post and your knee jerk reaction to it. Completely triggered you managed to start blatering about snowflakes and tofu, plus you invested a load of meanings/interpetation into Fitzhugh's post that weren't mentioned by him but you decided were there. 

Eventually, 24 hours later we finally get you to admit: 

which wasn't your original point, it was mine. 

Thanks for admitting you were wrong in your original reaction. Apology accepted. Happy Sunday.

Drip drip drip 

Let it go you big fanny 🤣

Edited by Dorchester Saint

BBC gossip page states that Forest are looking to put a £12m bid in for Pope, I know it comes from the Sun, but I really don't think that Burnley are going to get the £40m for him that they are looking for. Surely we should put a £20m bid in and offer a couple of players on loan for the season to them

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Ridiculous amount of money. Another silk purse that we will turn into a sow's ear.

Im confused here Charlie - if he is already a silk purse which you have indicated, why is that a ridiculous amount of money?

I assumed you think we will turn him into a worse player, which I understand, if dont agree with.

Important thing to get right this year is loan system. After making such a point with Tino  and Broja we should be in a leading place where we can get a couple of future stars for a season who would never be sold. Gives us a chance to invest more in 1st team ready transfers…

35 minutes ago, Hodgey said:

Important thing to get right this year is loan system. After making such a point with Tino  and Broja we should be in a leading place where we can get a couple of future stars for a season who would never be sold. Gives us a chance to invest more in 1st team ready transfers…

Livramento is not on loan, Saints bought him for £5m.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dorchester Saint said:

It’s quite obviously NOT the same across the world at all, there are differences culturally and I’d suggest football is a much bigger deal here than say Germany or France.

Oh man, regardless of the merits of the leadership discussion, saying football means more here than in a country like Germany is quite mad. 

The country is football bonkers, they have bigger stadiums than us, they fill them up, they’re far noisier inside than us, and there’s the small matter of them winning a fair few more world cups than us. 

For my money, a leader, or leaders can come from anywhere. They lead by example, they encourage, they get on people who aren’t performing to keep them at a higher level, they get the best out of others, not make them worse. These people are not exclusively of these islands, and it’s easy to see that we don’t have any more than any other nation. 

• Like 3

Thanks MLG - I’m more than aware Tino is not on loan - you missed my point entirely which was that they made a point of creating a quick pathway for young players to the 1st team over established pros (KWP/ Armstrong). So someone like Delap if they had a choice of Saints or West Ham - we should have the upper hand.

• Like 3

I have pseudo news ...........

Svanberg has recently followed Lyanco on Instagram (am sure the algo shows the latest person followed at the top) which is strange as he knew him when they played in the same Bologna team 2 yrs ago but he's only just added him !

Maybe wanting to DM him hmmmmm

Screenshot 2022-06-05 at 14.13.41.png

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

At Ajax. My point and the discussion that lead to it was based on his time AT SOUTHAMPTON. Sorry if that's a little hard for you to understand. Ajax clearly got more out of him than Saints ever did.

I think you have simultaneously missed and proven my point re Tadic. He clearly had leadership qualities at Saints as I outlined but because of the type of player he is they didnt come across to some fans who only see leaders as being people who smash into opposition players.

Its not like he had a personality transplant as part of his move to Ajax that made him captain material for them but someone who possessed zero leadership traits at Saints.

Unless you have any evidence to the contrary?

36 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Svanberg has recently followed Lyanco on Instagram (am sure the algo shows the latest person followed at the top) which is strange as he knew him when they played in the same Bologna team 2 yrs ago but he's only just added him !

Good sleuthing! Hope this means he's coming

55 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Unfortunately I think accounts that you also follow are always at the top when you view someone else's following list. 

• Sad 1

Hennessy's greatest career moment: 

"Hennessey argued that he did not know what a Nazi salute was and the FA panel noted that "when cross-examined about this Mr Hennessey displayed a very considerable - one might even say lamentable - degree of ignorance about anything to do with Hitler, Fascism and the Nazi regime".

• Like 2