Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

12 hours ago, skintsaint said:

The club exposure, shirt sales etc would be good for the club if signing Bale. 

Bale potentially staying in Madrid and playing for Getafe is the latest story.

Gareth Bale will not be returning to Southampton.
Anyone that thinks there is a chance is deluded. (Cue pointless MLG retort stating how everything is possible until a contract is signed).

But in all seriousness we are out of his league, and everyone knows it.

Besides, we only buy youth players.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chez said:

I struggle to get that Newcastle goal out of my head. Such a blistering strike. He has a good touch and clearly can finish, but he just didn't have much of an impact in a lot of the games last time. You just wanted him to get on the ball more, take the game by the scruff of the neck and cause problems. He just never seemed to get in between the lines. It was all really disappointing after such a great start. Are there any extenuating circumstances that we can point to? 

His goal against Chelsea was a bit of quality you would likely only have seen from Ingsy as well at the time. 

I wouldn't be entirely against it but it would be underwhelming if he was first choice. Loan to buy - £2m with an £8m obligation, spreads the fee nicely.

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Anyone that thinks there is a chance is deluded. (Cue pointless MLG retort stating how everything is possible until a contract is signed).

I wouldn't say that, because it isn't true. So please stop putting words in my mouth! 😁

Edited by Matthew Le God

There are a few references here regarding our transfer policy / strategy, eg. "won't pay the wages / won't pay that fee... "  Does anyone actually know what our policy is, or is there a consensus that nothing will change under the new ownership (based on our conditioning to be underwhelmed by any transfer activity)  . If that is the case, and in all seriousness, where does "no holds barred" sit with that?

5 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

There are a few references here regarding our transfer policy / strategy, eg. "won't pay the wages / won't pay that fee... "  Does anyone actually know what our policy is, or is there a consensus that nothing will change under the new ownership (based on our conditioning to be underwhelmed by any transfer activity)  . If that is the case, and in all seriousness, where does "no holds barred" sit with that?

I dunno but I refuse to believe we're being priced out by Cardiff. I think all this "We don't have any money or ambition" etc is just typical whinging from our spoilt brat fanbase.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Appy said:

I’d have him, but we probably don’t have a chance. 

Not very good at all defensively but capable of a bit of magic that no one in our squad has. I’d definitely take him, but would cost £30m+ and probably already on £100k week. 

11 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I dunno but I refuse to believe we're being priced out by Cardiff. I think all this "We don't have any money or ambition" etc is just typical whinging from our spoilt brat fanbase.

Agree with that bit, but we wouldn't be signing him for 3-4years, he only wants to stay fit long enough to play for Wales in the WC, and no-one deserves it more.

.....if we could afford to have Forster on the books for 5 years at that salary, we could afford to "splash the cash"  for just one season.

• Like 1

If LFC sign Nunez for £85 million, that means Klopp will have signed the fourth most expensive PL player of all time, the second most expensive defender of all time and the second most expensive GK of all time.

Working miracles on an absolute shoestring at the greatest club ever, apparently.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

9 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

If LFC sign Nunez for £85 million, that means Klopp will have signed the fourth most expensive PL player of all time, the second most expensive defender of all time and the second most expensive GK of all time.

Working miracles on an absolute shoestring at the greatest club ever, apparently.

All of this whilst the whole of the known world is conspiring against them, some achievement.  

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Appy said:

I’d have him, but we probably don’t have a chance. 

on the basis that we are in the Prem and have a £114m wage bill last year, we are one of the few clubs that can afford the wages of an unwanted Prem player. Not saying we want him and will go for him, but we 'd have as a good a chance as most. This is another one where if we want him, we should offer £0 and take on his wages. If West Ham find a buyer good luck to them.

48 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

"There wont be a revolution" = not much will change - the books will still need to balance and we will be self-sustaining.

"We will be in a better position to buy earlier in the window" = we will have the cash flow to buy first and then recoup outgoings afterwards, rather than the other way around.

Other than that, it will continue to be buy low (cheap and young) sell high (at the right price/time for club and player). 

"no holds barred" means we will be doing everything possible, within our budget, to improve the side in any position. We wont be settling with what we (players) have got. We will look to offload and replace. We will look at every market/avenue etc. Doesn't mean it will happen, but we wont be resting on our laurels. Same as every year.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

didn't you know that it's using the coutinho money and for them it means more. 

36 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Not very good at all defensively but capable of a bit of magic that no one in our squad has. I’d definitely take him, but would cost £30m+ and probably already on £100k week. 

Why would he cost £30m? He cost West Ham about that and he clearly ain't good enough for them, so who is paying the same amount for him now?

Think of him as Lemina. We paid £16m, he didn't work out, and you then have to accept whatever is offered (£5m) or you end up paying that £100k a week for years with little or nothing back in return. 

Obviously every player has a value, but what clubs can pay £100k a week AND want him?

1 hour ago, SambaMaverick said:

His goal against Chelsea was a bit of quality you would likely only have seen from Ingsy as well at the time. 

I wouldn't be entirely against it but it would be underwhelming if he was first choice. Loan to buy - £2m with an £8m obligation, spreads the fee nicely.

Yeah, sounds about right. Again, I struggle to see who is gonna pay £17m for him. If anyone pays that, good luck to them. Liverpool want shot. I don't see a huge queue of takers. 

As a lower tier Prem side, we need to act like some of the continental sides, that will take these `failed' Prem stars, but certainly won't be forking out big fees or indeed paying them the same monstrous wages. 

Edited by Chez

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

McCarthy is going to start the season as No.1 l, isn’t he?!

Yes. Ralph wanted him and gave him a new contract to be his number 1. The new (younger) keeper coming in will be as a number 2, on less wages and with the opportunity to fight for the shirt. I'd be absolutely amazed if we signed a Henderson on £100k a week. Just don't see that happening at all. Doesn't mean the number 2 can't replace McCarthy of course. If he doesn't, then we have fucked up again, as we did with Gunn

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Surely we should be going all out to get Dean Henderson in on a season long loan or Nick Pope for £15-£20 million. Proven top quality goalkeepers.

Perhaps, but in all honesty, do you think we actually will?

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Blimey, I'm sure it was only the last page others were saying he wasn't good enough for us.

IMO I think he could do a lot worse training for an International Tournament under Matt Crocker who both has knowledge of Bale and of the needs of international set ups in the run up to major tournaments.

If we sign Bazunu, we need to strengthen at CB. We don't want another Gunn situation where any sense of potential is shot to pieces because he's left horribly exposed. Gunn of course was not perfect, but I always feel for him a little when you realise how he was dropped into an already struggling team.

If we are signing a 20 year old to challenge for number 1, then we need somebody who can help lead and command the entire backline. KWP, Tino & Salisu are great, but for all their talent, don't have the imposing personality that a Fonte, VVD, even a Bertrand did. We can't play with young players across the entire backline.

• Like 4

Benrahma would be ideal for around £15m and below an £80k-a-week wage. Although, sadly, I don't think he'll accept that after being at West Ham. 

Bazunu, I don't know. Gunn was as rated at Norwich and the England Under-21s as Bazunu is/was at Portsmouth, and of course the former was playing at a higher level, but we all know how it turned out in the end in for him. Gazzaniga was also highly thought of at Gillingham in League Two, winning their young player of the year before coming to us. It's always a risk and as I said previously, not many Premier League clubs would look to strengthen a problem position that needs someone who is first team ready now with a player who most recently played for a 10th placed League One team. We've had at a minimum of two years of knowledge knowing both Forster and McCarthy's contracts were (or in McCarthy's case, should have been) expiring this summer and in past windows we haven't had the budget to make a move to replace them, but we should certainly have a long list of potential goalkeeper signings that are better than the names that keep coming up in the media.

Edited by HarvSFC
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Well we really should do to show we mean business. We signed a highly promising young goalkeeper before in Gunn and that didn't work out. 

that worries me also. It feels like another similar gamble that we simply should not be making. It's a position we needed to strengthen, but I worry we might actually end up being worse come the end of the summer. We shall see. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Benrahma would be a class signing, just what we need in the number 10 position. Can create and score goals. Talksport also saying we are unlikely to make a move for Minamino.

my mrs, who hates football, knows more about our likely plans in the window than anyone at talkshite. If they announce it after its done I will believe them. Beyond that...meh.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

my mrs, who hates football, knows more about our likely plans in the window than anyone at talkshite. If they announce it after its done I will believe them. Beyond that...meh.

Do you think we are in for Taki then? 

Sure hope news on GKs and defenders incoming improves soon. For a team that conceded 4th highest amount of goals in the league last season and consistently ships goals over the past 3 or 4 seasons we do appear to be fiddling while Rome burns. We concede goals for fun as it stands but "I know...there's a really good young keeper...he is one for the future" Hoping we'll hear some better news soon.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Perhaps, but in all honesty, do you think we actually will?

Am struggling to think where either keeper can actually go and be first choice. Newcastle possibly, maybe West Ham if Fabinski starts badly. Leicester I guess if they are ditching Schemical. Doesn't really seem a whole lot of options for either of them. Also you have Johnstone still available on a free. 

23 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Sure hope news on GKs and defenders incoming improves soon. For a team that conceded 4th highest amount of goals in the league last season and consistently ships goals over the past 3 or 4 seasons we do appear to be fiddling while Rome burns. We concede goals for fun as it stands but "I know...there's a really good young keeper...he is one for the future" Hoping we'll hear some better news soon.

Not sure there's evidence to back that up?

Is the transfer window even open yet, let alone slamming shut?

Hold fast.  Our new owners aren't idiots.

15 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Am struggling to think where either keeper can actually go and be first choice. Newcastle possibly, maybe West Ham if Fabinski starts badly. Leicester I guess if they are ditching Schemical. Doesn't really seem a whole lot of options for either of them. Also you have Johnstone still available on a free. 

The Telegraph reckon Newcastle are no longer interested in Henderson

I don't have any concerns with signing Bazanu, as I think he's really talented. My concern is that he's likely to be be the only GK signing we make, and for a position that is in such a mess and in need of a starter today, signing a young and for the future player as the only GK is a huge, huge, huge risk. The club are basically rolling the dice if he is the only addition in goal.

McCarthy has proven time and time again that he is horrific, look at what happened when he came back into the side at the end of the season. Goals, goals, goals everywhere. He shouldn't and cannot be in our squad next season, let alone in the starting 11, but sadly I think we all know that he'll start as number 1 and that is a huge (pardon the pun) own goal by the club in a summer that needs to signify a change.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

I don't have any concerns with signing Bazanu, as I think he's really talented. My concern is that he's likely to be be the only GK signing we make, and for a position that is in such a mess and in need of a starter today, signing a young and for the future player as the only GK is a huge, huge, huge risk. The club are basically rolling the dice if he is the only addition in goal.

I doubt the club will go into the season with only 2 first team keepers. 

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

For £10m he's going to be our only first choice GK signing, we'll sign a third and a 4th (probably that Turkish guy, then loan him out) and then maybe Willy for a year.

That doesn't fix our problem position one jot. Maybe it does in a year or so, and maybe we can get a decent profit in 2 years on Bazunu but I don't care about that. I just don't want to see McCarthy in goal for the club I support, as it's a waste of time.

12 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

For £10m he's going to be our only first choice GK signing, we'll sign a third and a 4th (probably that Turkish guy, then loan him out) and then maybe Willy for a year.

That doesn't fix our problem position one jot. Maybe it does in a year or so, and maybe we can get a decent profit in 2 years on Bazunu but I don't care about that. I just don't want to see McCarthy in goal for the club I support, as it's a waste of time.

Can we really rule out him doing a Livramento and being a starter from day one despite a lack of top league experience? None of us know just how good he is so shouldn't be jumping to conclusions. He already has some decent senior international experience, so isn't a complete novice at a decent level (despite playing for Pompey). 

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Do you think we are in for Taki then? 

Possibly. My guess is we enquired/tried to bring him back again last summer, but Liverpool will have wanted too much for him. The same may apply again this summer. At £17m its a non-starter.  I doubt they will get that though, especially if his wages are weighty - which is likely.

29 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

This is it. There are not lots and lots of options. Burnley might want £20 or £30m, but he simply isn't going for that unless there are several clubs wanting him. Are there? He's not young. Burnley could of course keep him and others. They do need to pay down the loan, but they may not be on their arse. When player already has a Prem wage, it becomes a buyers market. 

17 minutes ago, waylander said:

The Telegraph reckon Newcastle are no longer interested in Henderson

Surprising. I wonder why not. Maybe they don't rate him much higher than what they have after all and the money United want is too much. They took the piss when it came to Lingaard. Maybe they can't be arsed messing around with United this time round.

17 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Do you not think Cabellero is pretty much a `sure thing', thus we sign one `new' younger keeper, like Bazanu or suchlike, to give us balance in terms of ages and career progression?

McCarthy
Bazanu
Cabellero

• Like 1