Cost of Living

whelk

4 minutes ago, Mustang Saint said:

Reason I've gone electric, cost me £7.82 on my current tariff for 280 miles range.

Im going to be looking into this when i change my car. The only thing that concerns me is the battery range. Think a hybrid would suit me better. Are the claims that the TCO is significantly lower? 

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Im going to be looking into this when i change my car. The only thing that concerns me is the battery range. Think a hybrid would suit me better. Are the claims that the TCO is significantly lower? 

These people thank you for saving them!

https://legacy.pulitzercenter.org/reporting/photographing-congos-cobalt-empire

5 hours ago, Turkish said:

If you get a plug in hybrid (PHEV) you get the best of both. 

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

That seems to be the best option. Got a charging point in the new house we moved to a couple of months ago. 

There is a good selection of 'no compromise' cars here:

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-cars/electric-cars/100234/best-plug-in-hybrids  

Don't know what you're in the market for but I like the look of the Skoda Octavia. 

Edited by buctootim

35 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

spacer.png

Not that Rishi is in too much of a rush to do anything about it, except some platitudes and a token 5p discount.  Prices rise, VAT take rises accordingly, so he can easily cover the interest rate fiasco just by doing fuck all about petrol prices!

Don’t forget we are soon to have have a massive tax cut thanks to Sunak. The cut that partially undoes the increase they piled on at a perilous time for many. No other country has increased taxes on people when everything is going through the roof.

Just now, whelk said:

Don’t forget we are soon to have have a massive tax cut thanks to Sunak. The cut that partially undoes the increase they piled on at a perilous time for many. No other country has increased taxes on people when everything is going through the roof.

Like the 5p he gave us for petrol?  The one that doesn't really give us a tax cut at all as the first 58p of every litre is 'fuel duty', but we pay VAT on 'fuel duty' (double tax whammy!), so we were paying 11.6p VAT on the fuel duty before we were given the generous 5p (temporary?) discount, meaning we currently only pay 6.6p tax on the fuel duty tax 😲

Welcome to Britain where we pay tax on our taxes - not sure why asylum seekers travel half way round the world to 'safety' for those benefits.

2 hours ago, skintsaint said:

$10 a lettuce in some parts of Aus right now. Even KFC have started replacing it with cabbage in their burgers.

TBH lettuce is the one thing I don’t really care how much it costs but that price seems mental

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dr Who? said:

Had my email this morning from EDF telling me that my monthly DD is going from £235 to £370 a month from the end of June. That's nice of them. 

Is that domestic or commercial ? Ours has gone from £66 to £124.

2 hours ago, Dr Who? said:

Had my email this morning from EDF telling me that my monthly DD is going from £235 to £370 a month from the end of June. That's nice of them. 

bloody hell, are you cooling down the house with your fridge?

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

Yeah, mine jumped from £51p/m to around £120p/m. But there is only me and the Mrs at home.

I have heard friends that have domestic bills of c.£300p/m and I just can't understand how the hell they are using so much energy. Perhaps they're running a bit-coin mine in their shed?

3 hours ago, Dr Who? said:

That is a heavy old bill. Do you own a stately home?

2 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Ours went from £82 to £170. Month to month meter readings last month was £105. 3 people in the house. No heatingbon, no tumble dryer, general light use. 

3 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Fucking hell,I can’t believe how cheap your bills are. We’re a house of 4 and we’re paying £506 a month for our DD. 

Maybe try harnessing some of your hot air rather than posting it on here...?* 

(*Banter)

;)

8 hours ago, Dr Who? said:

Are they building up your positive balance ahead of the autumn rises?  Mine is £250/month with Bulb and I'm only building a small balance during warm weather.  The standing charges are ridiculous and I fully expect it to be easily another £100+ a month from the Autumn.  For reference it's a 1970ish detached home, with 7 external walls due to some weirdly shaped bizarre extension that was done in the early 80s which does nothing for my energy efficiency ... (and I think the insulation is crap too)

On 14/06/2022 at 10:52, Turkish said:

My EQB is quoted as 268 mile range, I'm averaging about 20 less than that, works fine for us as we do very low mileage, last car we did 3500 in 6 months. If you're doing low mileage then hybrid is ideal. Much more than 30 miles a day and it's pointless as you're back to using fuel. I know that sounds contradictory but I also run my own business so BIK is 2%, no road tax and 130% write off against corp tax.

14 hours ago, Dr Who? said:

That is gas and electric. A lot of people have said it is very high. We are a family of 5 but one is at uni. 

Family of 6, 6 bed house, 3 freezers and an electric car £196 last month for gas and electric. Do you all have a hot tub or something?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mustang Saint said:

Family of 6, 6 bed house, 3 freezers and an electric car £196 last month for gas and electric. Do you all have a hot tub or something?

We are a family of 3, we moved to a new build 4 bed detached in April but yet to get a bill from Eon yet. Were paying £170 a month in our last house, 1930s 3 bed semi. No idea what i should be expecting but we've barely used to heating since been here and got a combi boiler now. 

4 hours ago, Mustang Saint said:

Snap dragon has hot tub, but according to the in home display it’s about £1 a day when on a normal cycle. 

Bet this guy isn't feeling the pinch.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-61917259

"The chief executive of Birmingham Airport's pay has risen by 49% pay rise, it has emerged, angering trade unions.

Nick Barton's annual wage increased from £399,000 to £595,000 last year.

It came after large-scale job cuts in the sector in the wake of the pandemic."