Cost of Living

whelk

There is every chance we are at serious risk of France reducing/cutting off supply to the UK, as their internal divisions come front and centre in their political discourse.

Of course, BREXIT will be blamed, along with the Tories and solutions like 'talk to France' will be shouted.  Reality is, Winter is going to be f-ing grim due to the insane wholesale costs of energy.  This, coupled with the pathetic long-term energy policy decisions taken 15-20 years ago, along with the more recent move to not frack in this country.

Edited by AlexLaw76

Just now, badgerx16 said:

Fracking would not produce anywhere near the amount of gas that used to be projected, and is environmentally disastrous. ( As well as simply kicking the can of weaning ourselves off fossil fuel down the road ).

You are correct, but if it was part of a strategic long-term plan, it would have helped.  Unlike the shit-state we are in today,

16 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

There is every chance we are at serious risk of France reducing/cutting off supply to the UK, as their internal divisions come front and centre in their political discourse.

Of course, BREXIT will be blamed, along with the Tories and solutions like 'talk to France' will be shouted.  Reality is, Winter is going to be f-ing grim due to the insane wholesale costs of energy.  This, coupled with the pathetic long-term energy policy decisions taken 15-20 years ago, along with the more recent move to not frack in this country.

There were pathetic decisions taken on energy - this Times article makes it 100% clear they are within the last 10 years https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/a-decade-of-energy-failures-fz35xxplw

Labour energy policy had its faults too but some stinkers in there from Cameron and Boris which are hitting us hard now. It doesn’t help when you have a very inexperienced Tory populist leadership candidate (Truss) stoking arguments with Macron to show off for 160000 zealots (moderates left Tory membership years ago) but not a leading factor. There was a lot of heavy investment into marine renewables, offshore and wind in Cornwall from EU ERDF funds. Shared Prosperity Fund not kicking until 2025 by comparison, not going to secure energy supplies for a so-called scientific superpower. So yes, Brexit hasn’t helped again but no one can demonstrable a single material example where it has helped anything or anyone, apart from Putin and Crispin Odey’s already swollen bank balance.

Biggest factor of the lot now is the German-Russian pipeline which has ruptured the wholesale market. Madness after Putin’s actions of last 10 years.

Edited by saint1977
  • Like 1

On 27/08/2022 at 06:51, Weston Super Saint said:

Money made from the sale of Chelsea (which was allegedly all going to Ukraine) : £2.5bn.  So in real terms it is yet to 'cost' us a penny....

The reference was to the knock on effects to all our energy bills not direct govt aid. 

6 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Alexei, should Putin be allowed to get away with his expansionism ? Simple yes or no.

As I have said waaaay further up.  The most corrupt country in Europe settling an historical fight with the 2nd most corrupt country in Europe (which is not part of NATO) - given our own history, both long and recent - is not worth getting knee-deep in like we are.  So much so, which will severely impact millions of British citizens.  Many, irreversibly.

You can say we 'must stop Russia', but NATOs own borders do that, very far from here. 

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

As I have said waaaay further up.  The most corrupt country in Europe settling an historical fight with the 2nd most corrupt country in Europe (which is not part of NATO) - given our own history, both long and recent - is not worth getting knee-deep in like we are.  So much so, which will severely impact millions of British citizens.  Many, irreversibly.

You can say we 'must stop Russia', but NATOs own borders do that, very far from here. 

Did You Mean Yes You Meant Yes GIF - Did You Mean Yes You Meant Yes Is That What You Meant GIFs

11 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

You also said, waaaay further up that NATOs own borders wouldn't stop the mighty Russian Army and that their troops would be marching on good old blighty by Xmas.

I think you also mentioned that should we get into a bun fight with the mighty Russian Army our military would be wiped out in a weekend.

Edited by Weston Super Saint

6 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

You also said, waaaay further up that NATOs own borders wouldn't stop the mighty Russian Army and that their troops would be marching on good old blighty by Xmas.

I think you also mentioned that should we get into a bun fight with the mighty Russian Army our military would be wiped out in a weekend.

I said OUR own military, the UK.  Given it has been criminally hollowed-out for 30 years.  We are in a state where gender/race is the most important recruitment factor (with the RAF anyway).  The Army is so small and the RN is scarily low in hulls (of which around 1/3 at best are operational at any one time).

Obviously, it is a different question if you throw in NATO (what that really means is the USA)

Edited by AlexLaw76

44 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I said OUR own military, the UK.  Given it has been criminally hollowed-out for 30 years.  We are in a state where gender/race is the most important recruitment factor (with the RAF anyway).  The Army is so small and the RN is scarily low in hulls (of which around 1/3 at best are operational at any one time).

Obviously, it is a different question if you throw in NATO (what that really means is the USA)

Is OUR military not part of NATO?

In what scenario would OUR military be going toe to toe with the Russians on OUR own?

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

You would have been a real barrel of laughs in 1939.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

As I have said waaaay further up.  The most corrupt country in Europe settling an historical fight with the 2nd most corrupt country in Europe (which is not part of NATO) - 

How far down the corruption league table does a country have to be before you stand up for them?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

You actually think it would be a good idea to let Russia take Ukraine and just hope they stop there. Wow.

• Like 1

On 29/08/2022 at 16:56, AlexLaw76 said:

Hitting your bank balance further, in just a little while.

On the back of this, Germany are proposing the national veto is removed within the EU.  I wonder why?

image.thumb.png.9a390e0f6e13cdea168d1a9914d37f04.png

To expand further......

If this trends continues, the continent of Europe will have to make a significant choice, or it will likely suffer dire consequences;

1. Do a deal with Russia

2. Accept depression - inducing demand destruction that brings demand back in line with supply.

3. Take on enormous masses of additional debt to mitigate the worst, and hope for the best (in a post covid world)

My guess, Germany pipe up first for option 1.

Edited by AlexLaw76

12 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

To expand further......

If this trends continues, the continent of Europe will have to make a significant choice, or it will likely suffer dire consequences;

1. Do a deal with Russia

2. Accept depression - inducing demand destruction that brings demand back in line with supply.

3. Take on enormous masses of additional debt to mitigate the worst, and hope for the best (in a post covid world)

So now you are an expert on International finance and German politics ?

Is there no beginning to your capabilities ?

To expand further......

1. Do a deal with Russia

The Japanese in WW2 would have been proud if this :

Fuck Russia and the cowards who appease them.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, whelk said:

Someone is ok

The total additional energy costs to UK households is going to be around £40 billion in the next year. Shell, BP and Centrica made an additional £10bn in profit (ie £10bn more than the same period in 2021) for the past three months alone - oddly enough also around £40bn pa.   

Remind me again why a windfall tax is so much more immoral than letting kids and pensioners freeze. 

Edited by buctootim
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, whelk said:

Boris Johnson’s got a decent kettle tip lads. Buy a new one for £20 and in two years time you’ll saved that back by reduction in electricity. Got the big calls right

.... and if you can get someone else to pay for the kettle, like Boris would, you can make an even bigger saving.😁 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, whelk said:

Boris Johnson’s got a decent kettle tip lads. Buy a new one for £20 and in two years time you’ll saved that back by reduction in electricity. Got the big calls right

I genuinely thought it was a wind up when I first saw it, you know one of those videos where they edit it to put his words from other speeches into one to make him sound like a dick for lols. Fuck me the bloke is beyond parody. Spend £20 on a kettle to knock £10 a year off your £4000 utilities bill is the words of a lunatic 

9 hours ago, whelk said:

In 2 weeks it will be caked in limescale from the shite water we have here and wont save you a penny. I can't wait for his latest money saving tip, probably something involving candles, socks and the genocide of elderly relatives.

• Like 1

If the kettle doesn't work we can always use the Truss suggestion for keeping drugs out of prisons - employ barking dogs to scare off drones...

If that's the level we're at, the next few months could be a very expensive and damaging comedy car crash that might even make the Johnson era look like a roaring success.

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, kyle04 said:

In 2 weeks it will be caked in limescale from the shite water we have here and wont save you a penny. I can't wait for his latest money saving tip, probably something involving candles, socks and the genocide of elderly relatives.

Limescale can make a delicious sandwich and also full of nutrients (calcium and magnesium). 

Social media is awash with pictures like this.  The person who published the below runs a very small business and will see their annual energy bill go from just shy of £3k a year to this.  Probably repeated countless times around the country, and it will be devastating.

Still, we are the winners right?

image.thumb.png.ced78a2dc19a51782556489ea09bd7b9.png

31 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Social media is awash with pictures like this.  The person who published the below runs a very small business and will see their annual energy bill go from just shy of £3k a year to this.  Probably repeated countless times around the country, and it will be devastating.

Agree with your point  100%. We need to look at ways to reverse the consequences of Brexit and move back from the entrenched positions taken by so many.

What you talking about winners for you stupid cunt? You think there is an option for energy not going up and decision been taken for it to rise?

• Like 1

Just been reading the twitter thread where this came from, it's quite disturbing (the tweet in question concerns a 22 cover small restaurant).

James Allcock on Twitter: "my current energy bill for my tiny 22 cover restaurant is £2,928 a year. This is my new quote. Unsure what to actually do next but as a business that cost would now be more than I pay in rent and more than I take some months. I simply don’t have the money for this. https://t.co/D8zPbOBNQI" / Twitter

So with the latest news from Russia that gas supply will only resume after sanctions are revoked the price of gas has jumped another 30%.

I know that this is a crisis of Europe’s own making given that there were warnings about Russian dependence for years but bloody hell the politicians have cocked up. There’s no more wiggle room for the common man.