Women’s Football

Turkish

2 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

What are you comparing the standard to?

How do you know it will improve? This standard may be the best it's going to get....

I'm in 2 minds here,  my daughter is only 11 and plays, probably in the best girls u12 grassroot side around, qualifying for nationals at St George's park and Lilleshall, beating  academy teams on the way, only losing out 1v0 to Linfield ladies,  the top Irish academy side around. Now seeing some of these girls at these ages the standard WILL improve,  they are superb but yes against the boys equivalent they will be lacking the power/strength but can match them with technical ability. Now we watch every sort of football and she at 11 will sit there and shake her head at some of the womens decision making/final passes/shooting/goalkeeping,  yes some of it as Dman says is really poor including the officials but it will get better and more competitive but it won't hit the heights of the men, so if you don't like it, don't watch it, simples, if you accept it for what it is its quite an enjoyable watch

Edited by danjosaint
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, danjosaint said:

I'm in 2 minds here,  my daughter is only 11 and plays, probably in the best girls u12 grassroot side around, qualifying for nationals at St George's park and Lilleshall, beating  academy teams on the way, only losing out 1v0 to Linfield ladies,  the top Irish academy side around. Now seeing some of these girls at these ages the standard WILL improve,  they are superb but yes against the boys equivalent they will be lacking the power/strength but can match them with technical ability. Now we watch every sort of football and she at 11 will sit there and shake her head at some of the womens decision making/final passes/shooting/goalkeeping,  yes some of it as Dman says is really poor including the officials but it will get better and more competitive but it won't hit the heights of the men, so if you don't like it, don't watch it, simples, if you accept it for what it is its quite an enjoyable watch

That's the point.  Dman seems to be comparing women's football with men's and concluding that it is shit because the standard is better in the men's game.  Makes Dman look a complete tool to be honest.  Despite what the snowflakes and woke brigade tell us day in and day out, women and men are different, and that's OK!

Women's cycling is as technically competent as men's but the races are slower because the women aren't as powerful.  Same with Women's cricket, the ball isn't bowled as quickly and nor is it hit as hard.  Doesn't make them worse, just different. And guess what, that's OK!

When it comes to consistency, not sure what the problem is really.  I've watched Saints matches where the team has looked 'gifted' and the game appeared easy.  I've watched Saints matches where the players look like they'd get beaten by a school team.  No reason why women's football isn't going to follow the same pattern.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Dman said:

So unless your opinion mirrors that of yours, don’t form an opinion or post about it.

Right, got ya. 

Nope. You stated you were finding it difficult not having an opinion because it was being rammed down your throat. My advice was to stop engaging with it and you’ll find yourself not having an opinion. Stop clicking on this thread, stop typing out your opinion and stop clicking ‘reply’. You clearly have this level of self control because despite it being rammed down your throat you have only watched 30 minutes of it. Extend that self control to not having an opinion, you’ll feel better for it. 

Well done on all your coaching, playing and viewing achievements that nobody asked about by the way. If you could kindly stop ramming it down our throats though please, I’ll be forced to have an opinion otherwise, despite not giving a shit. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Nope. You stated you were finding it difficult not having an opinion because it was being rammed down your throat. My advice was to stop engaging with it and you’ll find yourself not having an opinion. Stop clicking on this thread, stop typing out your opinion and stop clicking ‘reply’. You clearly have this level of self control because despite it being rammed down your throat you have only watched 30 minutes of it. Extend that self control to not having an opinion, you’ll feel better for it. 

Well done on all your coaching, playing and viewing achievements that nobody asked about by the way. If you could kindly stop ramming it down our throats though please, I’ll be forced to have an opinion otherwise, despite not giving a shit. 

Your over aggressive defence of this makes me think you’re either lying to yourself to appear inclusive, or just a pervert enjoying watching all the lady’s in short shorts.…  

17 hours ago, Dman said:

I mean it’s hard to reserve an opinion when it’s been rammed down your throat with total nonsense like that “beckham esque” example, from the BBC. 

However; since the start of the tournament, personally (using me as an example because I was called out), I’ve made about 3 posts. Hardly “keeps coming back”. 

I’ve watched about 30 minutes of the whole thing here and there. Nothing has changed my opinion that in general, the standard of football, from elite competitors, is nothing short of shambolic. 

To be fair; I actually feel abit sorry for most of the girls, they no doubt accept that it’s not a sport many are or will be interested in. it’s people like the BBC over pushing it and idiots like that Yank who was asking for equal pay who stoke the fire and debate. 

Best watch something else then.

14 hours ago, Dman said:

Informed about what, exactly? 

Ive played and coached at a very decent, non-league standard. I’ve watched hundreds of games from the premier league to tyro league. 

These are professionals who train every day and have the best facilities around to help them better themselves. Some of which struggle to put in a cross off the ground. Give that to any male who’s playing in the Hampshire premier league or higher and they’d be the best player at this tournament. 

There is clearly a huge push from certain media outlets to improve the popularity of the women’s game. That will not come until the standard improves. 

at the minute it’s miles off. 

11 hours ago, nta786 said:

Credit where it's due, my biggest qualm with women's football is usually the standard of goalkeeping but the Finland/Denmark game earlier both keepers had a very good game. Some of those saves wouldn't be amiss in the men's game.

The German goalie last night made some great saves.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Dman said:

Your over aggressive defence of this makes me think you’re either lying to yourself to appear inclusive, or just a pervert enjoying watching all the lady’s in short shorts.…  

Oh my god if this is the first thing that comes to your head mate your fucking more messed up than I thought. Is the idea someone enjoying so hard to believe? It says more about you than it does about Fabrice.

Keep your gross ways of thinking to yourself and stop projecting them on others... Jesus.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lots of people seem to be getting upset because some people are saying they dont enjoy womens football, very strange. Particularly amusing are the comments that if you dont like it you should shut up, only post if you're going to say how brilliant it all is. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

If other people don't, that's fine. I just wish some of them would stop 'ramming it down our throats' (😉) how much they dislike it.

Steady, I believe that phrase is copyright! 🙂

I enjoyed watching last night, but the mistake by the goalkeeper changed the complexion of the game - I thought I was watching McCarthy for a moment as he has done that a few times. The German defence was tight against some lovely passing by Spain, but the latter did overdo it a bit I thought when they got to the final third.

13 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Personally I'm not the slightest bit interested in Wimbledon, but you won't find me going on Tennis forums and repeatedly posting about how uninterested I am and how it's being rammed down my throat by the BBC.

Nice argument, however, this isn’t a women’s football forum. In fact, if anything, this part of the forum is supposed to be about Saints. 

So you women’s football fanatics, take your discussions elsewhere if you don’t want it criticised. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

Nice argument, however, this isn’t a women’s football forum. In fact, if anything, this part of the forum is supposed to be about Saints. 

So you women’s football fanatics, take your discussions elsewhere if you don’t want it criticised. 

So why do you keep posting on this thread then? You don’t have to it’s not compulsory 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dman said:

Actually agreed.

My biggest grumble is it isn't saints related and yet the top thread on the saints section of the forum is people arguing about something not saints related. I get it, we've had a good window, people can't have their usual arguments about saints etc.... But this thread should be in the lounge where the rest of us can remain blissfully ignorant to it. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

So why do you keep posting on this thread then? You don’t have to it’s not compulsory 

Because it's a forum and the definition of forum is

a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged

a website or web page where users can post comments about a particular issue or topic and reply to other users' postings

Although not this medium as it appears you're not allowed to exchange your view if you dont agree with how amazing it is.

Womens football is shite and I do not watch it. Like I don’t watch the national league/conference (Eastleigh) because it is also shite.

Eastleigh do not get a breaking news banner when they sign someone hardly anyone has heard of!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Womens football is shite and I do not watch it. Like I don’t watch the national league/conference (Eastleigh) because it is also shite.

Eastleigh do not get a breaking news banner when they sign someone hardly anyone has heard of!

Or a panini sticker book, or tweets from the BBC comparing them to one of England’s greatest players, for a shot that was pathetic… 

2 hours ago, Dman said:

You’re the one lying about how much you’ve watched or you’re the one who seems to form and express opinions on something that you have watched only 30 minutes of. Either way, stop being weird.

Edited by Fabrice29

29 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Actually agreed.

My biggest grumble is it isn't saints related and yet the top thread on the saints section of the forum is people arguing about something not saints related. I get it, we've had a good window, people can't have their usual arguments about saints etc.... But this thread should be in the lounge where the rest of us can remain blissfully ignorant to it. 

I agree that the "The Saints" sub-forum should be just about the men's team, however, I would venture that a separate sub-forum for the women's team, under 'Southampton Football Club', would be a more logical place for it, rather than within The Lounge, given that the women's team is an official entity under the 'Southampton Football Club' umbrella....

image.thumb.png.f215ac518f3ab9c8eb1b51c51bbd495b.png

image.png.55dc76d54dd888e8490b08bbcf377da6.png

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I don’t agree I have seen some cracking games at Solihull Moors.

It’s maybe you are expecting it to be what you see on TV regularly but it never will be.

I love standing on terraces mixing and chatting to away fans .

51 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Because it's a forum and the definition of forum is

a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged

a website or web page where users can post comments about a particular issue or topic and reply to other users' postings

Although not this medium as it appears you're not allowed to exchange your view if you dont agree with how amazing it is.

But if you don’t like what people are saying why continue ? If you don’t like something and I get why some don’t.

I have managed both boys and girls team they are completely different.

Skill level miles apart, but enjoyment, team spirit and togetherness the girls far better.

The boys quality, pace, power and ability is way above and will never be reached and shouldn’t be compared really.

17 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

It’s maybe you are expecting it to be what you see on TV regularly but it never will be.

Maybe I just don’t like - what I believe to be - crap football?

Edited by AlexLaw76

6 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

But if you don’t like what people are saying why continue ? If you don’t like something and I get why some don’t.

Skill level miles apart, but enjoyment, team spirit and togetherness the girls far better.

The boys quality, pace, power and ability is way above and will never be reached and shouldn’t be compared really.

I said i really enjoyed watching the England game the other day. If we had no discussion or the same opinions it would be a very dull forum with everyone nodding along in agreement with each other all the time.

40 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

I've followed Harrogate Town since the Conference North days so seen them play Solihull Motors 🙂 

I'll watch them and go to a lot of their matches and i'll watch championship level football on the telly but the difference is the WSL is about the standard of conference north probably lower, yet the promotion of it far outweighs the level of football you watch. Most football fans i know are sick to death of the over promotion of it if they're not careful they'll have the reverse impact of what they are trying to achieve. Of course you'll still get those, some on here, who seem to get all upset when anyone points out that as a spectacle womens football is pretty crap, low attendances, atmospshere made up of mainly kids shrieking and a pretty poor standard product. If you enjoy it fair enough and as i said i enjoyed watching England the other night but for most people they have zero interest in watching the WSL for the reason i stated.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I've followed Harrogate Town since the Conference North days so seen them play Solihull Motors 🙂 

I'll watch them and go to a lot of their matches and i'll watch championship level football on the telly but the difference is the WSL is about the standard of conference north probably lower, yet the promotion of it far outweighs the level of football you watch. Most football fans i know are sick to death of the over promotion of it if they're not careful they'll have the reverse impact of what they are trying to achieve. Of course you'll still get those, some on here, who seem to get all upset when anyone points out that as a spectacle womens football is pretty crap, low attendances, atmospshere made up of mainly kids shrieking and a pretty poor standard product. If you enjoy it fair enough and as i said i enjoyed watching England the other night but for most people they have zero interest in watching the WSL for the reason i stated.

For clarification I don’t watch womens football apart from England games and certainly not any of pundits. Have a look at Ian Wright to Alan Sugar yesterday. My issue was with people comparing mens to womens as stated I have managed and coached both light years difference.

I only started watching Moors a couple of years ago when my lad was living there after Uni look a good side this year. I have watched Eastleigh a few times but not been impressed.

Harrogate look ok when watched wasn’t there a bit of problem last season manager?

Edited by Give it to Ron

16 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

For clarification I don’t watch womens football apart from England games and certainly not any of pundits. Have a look at Ian Wright to Alan Sugar yesterday. My issue was with people comparing mens to womens as stated I have managed and coached both light years difference.

I only started watching Moors a couple of years ago when my lad was living there after Uni look a good side this year. I have watched Eastleigh a few times but not been impressed.

Harrogate look ok when watched wasn’t there a bit of problem last season manager?

they started well then went on a deadful run after christmas managed to pick up a few wins so never got sucked into the relegation battle but a bit of concearn for this season. Manager is a good guy and been there for 12 years i think but is also the owners son so a lot of fans believe anyone else would have been sacked for the same results. In mitgation he did have quite a few key players out with long term injuries. Their problems, strangely, are the same as Saints, play good football and when they are in form can go on good runs and give anyone a game, but a soft centre, crap centre halves who cant defend and bizarrely let a very good goalkeeper leave who wanted to stay and replaced him with one vastly inferior. Obvious highlight last season was the win at Fratton Park in the FA Cup 🙂 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, suewhistle said:

🙂The German defence was tight against some lovely passing by Spain, but the latter did overdo it a bit I thought when they got to the final third.

They read out a passing stat, with a massive difference between the two. But Spain didn't seem to have anything that would be more direct. Like you say, Germany were able to shut out all the passing moves around the box, that Spain were relying on.

1 hour ago, trousers said:

I agree that the "The Saints" sub-forum should be just about the men's team, however, I would venture that a separate sub-forum for the women's team, under 'Southampton Football Club', would be a more logical place for it, rather than within The Lounge, given that the women's team is an official entity under the 'Southampton Football Club' umbrella....

I have no issue with there being a thread for our Women's team on the saints page. But i checked in on this thread yesterday evening, in amongst the constant arguing about women's football, the standard, and whether or not "its being rammed" down people's throats, the only recent post relating to saints was a reference to Hounslow and how uncompetitive the league was last year... So other than a few games being played at SMS, this really shouldn't be on the saints section of the forum 🤷‍♂️. Or did we also have a thread on here for when The Killers player at SMS? 

Or do the rules not apply on the forum anymore 🤣😨😁 "100% Saints discussion. Please keep it on-topic and civil. Abusive behaviour is not welcomed."

Edited by Saint86

6 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

I have no issue with there being a thread for our Women's team on the saints page. But i checked in on this thread yesterday evening, in amongst the constant arguing about women's football, the standard, and whether or not "its being rammed" down people's throats, the only recent post relating to saints was a reference to Hounslow and how uncompetitive the league was last year... So other than a few games being played at SMS, this really shouldn't be on the saints section of the forum 🤷‍♂️. Or did we also have a thread on here for when The Killers player at SMS? 

Or do the rules not apply on the forum anymore 🤣😨😁 "100% Saints discussion. Please keep it on-topic and civil. Abusive behaviour is not welcomed."

I wonder how Southampton's Laura Rafferty will reflect on her time at the Euros as part of the Northern Ireland squad?  🙂

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

I wonder how Southampton's Laura Rafferty will reflect on her time at the Euros as part of the Northern Ireland squad?  🙂

what percentage of the posts on this thread have discussed Laura Rafferty ;)

By all means, create a thread about Laura Rafferty (or saints players in the euros) - which would be worth reading about... but sadly it seems that is not what this thread is largely about now.

Edited by Saint86

23 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Where do euros/world cup threads normally go?

Double post after not being able to type past emoji. Although, I do wonder where Laura Rafferty would prefer the thread to be... 🙂

Difference being, 99% of people on this forum are interested in the euros/World Cup. 

less than 10% are interested in this crap. We’ve already distinguished men’s and women’s football shouldn’t be compared against each other… 

Feel free to create a new forum. Saints women web or something, I’m sure that’ll be a raving success. 

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

Difference being, 99% of people on this forum are interested in the euros/World Cup. 

less than 10% are interested in this crap. We’ve already distinguished men’s and women’s football shouldn’t be compared against each other… 

Feel free to create a new forum. Saints women web or something, I’m sure that’ll be a raving success. 

maybe the rainbow saints could start following the ladies team as there are now 50 of them it would massively boost the attendances as well as build up their confidence that they aren't going to get the shit kicked out of them everytime they set foot inside a football stadium.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Where do euros/world cup threads normally go?

Double post after not being able to type past emoji. Although, I do wonder where Laura Rafferty would prefer the thread to be... 🙂

All I'd say is that our first team has significant involvement in international football and tournaments, ditto players they play against feature in those tournaments. There is certainly more saints fc relevance to say discussing Philips' wrongful inclusion over JWP in the England squad, or Che's involvement in world cup qualifiers to the "discussions" on this thread about the popularity in standards of football, or whether people like watching non league or lower league football 🤷‍♂️. I don't think there is anything wrong with expecting a thread about saints players in the Women's euros to be saints related on the saints forum...

3 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

Thank goodness for a common sense reply. I am not slavishly watching every game but the bits I have seen show a sport gaining momentum with the number of spectators in the stadiums watching some pretty good football, peppered with the usual mistakes made in any match. Men's football and women's football are 2 completely separate sports and that's the way it ought to be. I can't see there ever being a time when men's professional football will have mixed teams, no matter how talented a woman footballer may be. There is a big gap on stamina, strengths and skills. Let's just accept it for what it is. Our best women footballers doing their best and flying the flag for England. What's wrong with that?

• Like 1

Those saying we shouldn’t compare women’s football with the men’s professional game are absolutely right. We shouldn’t. 

We should be comparing it to grassroots, such is the standard. Rather than waste your money watching that rubbish, go spend a fiver to watch your local non-league team. They could do with the funding and you never know, might produce a player for saints one day! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dman said:

Those saying we shouldn’t compare women’s football with the men’s professional game are absolutely right. We shouldn’t. 

It’s not just football, rugby & cricket are also bigged up more than they deserve. Chick Tennis, athletics, swimming, beach volleyball, netball, hockey are proper sports  that are competitive and played/competed to a high level (miles off the mens standard, but still decent). Football is not. The Dog & Duck could beat any chick team week in week out. Serena Williams or Chris Evett would beat an average club player easily. That’s the difference, there’s hundreds of thousands of blokes that are better than the best birds. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

It’s not just football, rugby & cricket are also bigged up more than they deserve. Chick Tennis, athletics, swimming, beach volleyball, netball, hockey are proper sports  that are competitive and played/competed to a high level (miles off the mens standard, but still decent). Football is not. The Dog & Duck could beat any chick team week in week out. Serena Williams or Chris Evett would beat an average club player easily. That’s the difference, there’s hundreds of thousands of blokes that are better than the best birds. 

I can't figure out if you're deliberately trying to be a twat for the attention or you are genuinely a twat. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

I can't figure out if you're deliberately trying to be a twat for the attention or you are genuinely a twat. 

Either way it adds up to the same thing.

3 hours ago, Dman said:

We should be comparing it to grassroots, such is the standard. Rather than waste your money watching that rubbish, go spend a fiver to watch your local non-league team. They could do with the funding and you never know, might produce a player for saints one day! 

Why should we be comparing it to anything? #totallyobsessed

I've just got back from watching Sweden v Switzerland at Bramall Lane with my daughter, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. First half was a bit cagey with very few real chances, but it really opened up in the second half and was a decent game in the end. Sweden were deserving winners but Switzerland, despite being much lower ranked (and apparently having half the squad come down with a stomach bug only days ago), gave them a good game and were no mugs.

The atmosphere was very much family orientated, so I can see why it wouldn't appeal to our resident football 'lads', but the standard on the pitch was decent. Anyone claiming it's no better than Sunday league is talking utter bollocks. 

• Like 3

This Netherlands v Portugal match is gripping. Both teams have players with genuine quality. Neds looked like they would run away with it early on but Portugal got back to 2-2 with a lovely move and finish, and the Dutch have taken the lead again with an outstanding goal. I've watched plenty of PL games far less entertaining than this.

• Like 1

Tuned in just as they were reviewing a goal for the Dutch. Although it was ruled offside, it wasn't long before they got a third with a cracking strike. The commentators were saying how well Portugal had done in the second half, but it seemed to fizzle out. Lots of scrappy bits of play and tackles going in. Portugal looked tired and the Netherlands just a bit unhappy generally. Something to do with their coach behind the scenes perhaps, or just not being at their best.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

This Netherlands v Portugal match is gripping. Both teams have players with genuine quality. Neds looked like they would run away with it early on but Portugal got back to 2-2 with a lovely move and finish, and the Dutch have taken the lead again with an outstanding goal. I've watched plenty of PL games far less entertaining than this.

😂😂 are you still going on in your pursuit or trying to convince people. 

Give it up pal. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dman said:

😂😂 are you still going on in your pursuit or trying to convince people. 

Give it up pal. 

It was a very enjoyable game played at a really good standard. If you took your blinkers off you'd see that for yourself.

But no. With every further post you make on this thread, you make yourself look more and more like a massive prick. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

12 hours ago, cloggy saint said:

I wouldn't have posted what Duck posted, but he's correct. I don't watch the women's football for the same reason as I don't watch the afcon or non league football. Basically the standard is low and it just has no appeal. If I was a fan of a team involved I'd watch, but as a general football fan, watching football of that quality just has no appeal. People pointing out the reality doesn't make them a "twat".

• Like 1