Women’s Football

Turkish

35 minutes ago, ant said:

Seemed to be about 1k to 2k empty seats, which was a shame. Was an empty set of 6 or so in front of us. I guess some speculatively bought tickets; it was only £15 pp in our section.

That seemed odd to me, especially since they announced a few weeks ago that it was sold out. Not just empty seats but fairly large blocks of them scattered about.

31 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

That seemed odd to me, especially since they announced a few weeks ago that it was sold out. Not just empty seats but fairly large blocks of them scattered about.

I don't know exactly how they managed the ticket sales. A friend of mine at work said she tried to get tickets for the game I went to at Bramall Lane last week but they were sold out. But there were huge blocks of empty seats, one stand completely unused, and a crowd of less than half capacity.

3 hours ago, The Kraken said:

I tried to get tickets ages ago and it was listed as sold out. Then more came online...then sold out again. But as you say there were huge blocks left empty. I can only imagine they were tickets sent out to schools or some such which weren't used. Bit embarrassing really.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I tried to get tickets ages ago and it was listed as sold out. Then more came online...then sold out again. But as you say there were huge blocks left empty. I can only imagine they were tickets sent out to schools or some such which weren't used. Bit embarrassing really.

Probaly ones UEFA kept for their cronies.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

@cloggy saint who has reacted with a confused face to this post...it's embarrassing because people like me who actually wanted to go were unable to because it was shown as sold out because they'd sent out freebie tickets to people that didn't even bother going in the end. 

4 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

@cloggy saint who has reacted with a confused face to this post...it's embarrassing because people like me who actually wanted to go were unable to because it was shown as sold out because they'd sent out freebie tickets to people that didn't even bother going in the end. 

I suspect it's the dread hand of Uefa and their usual corporate shenanigans, which happens at every tournament. At least they reminded me what a tasteless beer Heineken is as it was the only one available at the ground and fan zone. A single pint over three games was enough to remind me.

28 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

I suspect it's the dread hand of Uefa and their usual corporate shenanigans, which happens at every tournament. At least they reminded me what a tasteless beer Heineken is as it was the only one available at the ground and fan zone. A single pint over three games was enough to remind me.

Whatever the reasons, it's a piss take that so many seats were empty when there were people that couldn't get tickets.

Just turned onto Denmark V Spain, decent standard in this game too.

12 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Had a peek, and that one was less a hooked clearance, and more the defender trying to hit it behind his own goal, only to make it a striker's finish.

All the fun...

That was one of the best matches we attended , never seen so many happy Saints fans since 1976 😁

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Surprised they’re giving away free tickets and even more surprised people with them didn’t bother going. 

Spain dominated possession for the whole game. Again, they struggled to convert against a structured defence. Denmark pushing up towards the end opened up even more space for a late winner.

If they get the room, and they don't need much, Spain will create. It's going to be interesting to see how much of that England give them. England will have seen how Germany punished them, and it's well within them to do the same. Looking forward to it on Wednesday.

5 hours ago, Turkish said:

She will have by the end of the tournament 👏👏👏

It's funny how these joint-stats only started when it looked like Ellen White was going to overtake Rooney's goals tally. 

Kane will inevitably overtake her so at that point will they stop describing her as top English goalscorer or will they go back to separating it? 

You have to wonder who they're making these comparisons for, you look at the comments under the posts and every single person is telling to to stop being so ridiculous.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dman said:

So do we now compare to men’s football, or don’t we… I’m confused. 

I think the rules seem to be We do when it makes it look good but don’t when it makes it look bad

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

Because of you mainly …..

So it's not a valid point to ask why no one has mentioned the biggest lioness game for years when we've had weeks of everyone telling us how popular it is?

41 minutes ago, Turkish said:

So it's not a valid point to ask why no one has mentioned the biggest lioness game for years when we've had weeks of everyone telling us how popular it is?

Everyone I know is boycotting it due to the lack of diversity in the England team 

• Like 1

Cracking game. Tense stuff. Both started slowly, which suited Spain's possession based game. They stifled Williamson in the midfield. When England got past the press, Spain countered using the gaps behind the full backs. Plenty of crosses coming in, and Spain looked by far the most likely to score the opener.

But, in being pushed back England finally played from deep, with Bright delivering a couple of great passes. That pushed Spain back, and suddenly Williamson was free. She could then pass out wide and England were on the front foot. White had one disallowed. Could easily go either way. Let's hope England can take their momentum into the second half.

4 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Gabby Logan just described this game as another sell out...you just look like an idiot calling it that. There might not have been anymore tickets available, but it clearly didn't "sell out". 

The stand opposite the camera is only about 2/3s full

8 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Gabby Logan just described this game as another sell out...you just look like an idiot calling it that. There might not have been anymore tickets available, but it clearly didn't "sell out". 

I sense a MLG education response to this post, is not too far away!

2 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Is this team and manager like the boys and Southgate afterall?

Still plenty of time...

Surprised how few comments there are on this match given this board has been swamped with people lauding the standard of games not involving England 

Doesn't help that you have a striker playing at left back for England. Can get away with that when you're the mismatched favourites but when actual proper defending is required...imagine if Southgate suddenly picked Rashford at left back. That's essentially what's happening with Daly here.

5 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Doesn't help that you have a striker playing at left back for England. Can get away with that when you're the mismatched favourites but when actual proper defending is required...imagine if Southgate suddenly picked Rashford at left back. That's essentially what's happening with Daly here.

What is the reason for this?

Their 10 just waltzed past Daly again there. Reminds me of when Souness played Neil Heaney at LB at Everton to counter Kanchelskis, although at 5-0 down by HT more dire consequences. Good chance missed there by England, one of the few moments of threat. Spain look composed and better on the ball.

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

What is the reason for this?

Honestly don't know. Alex Greenwood is a left back on the bench, she was injured up until just before the tournament I believe and Daly has looked fine so far. 

But she should have been subbed long ago in this match, she's getting torn apart.