Women’s Football

Turkish

13 minutes ago, John B said:

At the moment I think Women's football will improve when there is an improvement in the basic skills will no doubt will come in the next few years

The only non positive comment I would like to make is that it often takes ages for defenders to move the ball up the field from the RB/LB positions

It is certainly coming through, and the improvement in coaching too will help. When you look at players like Lucia Kendall for Saints, she's easily one of the best players technically, and that is because she will have been exposed to a higher level of skill and coaching from a young age. 

The thing with the full backs in the Euros is that oddly a fair few play as wingers for their club sides, so might be that they aren't as used to receiving the ball in the deeper positions. England look a different side with Greenwood at left back compared to Daly, because they offer different experience and skills. Greenwood has always played left back or centre back whereas Daly is naturally a winger. One of the themes of the tournament is the teams struggling if they don't have natural defenders and instead are working the most talented players into an 11

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John B said:

At the moment I think Women's football will improve when there is an improvement in the basic skills will no doubt will come in the next few years

The only non positive comment I would like to make is that it often takes ages for defenders to move the ball up the field from the RB/LB positions

Womens football will improve when they make the goals a bit smaller and the pitch a bit smaller. Until then, it's a bit farcical tbh.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Saint Garrett said:

Womens football will improve when they make the goals a bit smaller and the pitch a bit smaller. Until then, it's a bit farcical tbh.

But they'll still demand equal pay, right?

6 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Does seem a bit odd that they don't tbh. Sports likr tennis play shorter matches which is kind of the same thing. 

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Does seem a bit odd that they don't tbh. Sports likr tennis play shorter matches which is kind of the same thing. 

Yup, golf shorter holes. It’s not a sexist thing, it’s just genetics. There are none or very few womens 6 foot 6 keepers. 

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

do less work but want the same money, and if you say it’s not right you’re a sexist bigot. 

I was catching up on some work, so I didn't get to pay too much attention to the Sweden Vs Belgium second half. There had been a goal ruled offside in the first by mm for Sweden. Belgium didn't create much of anything and Sweden were nearly at the mid 30s for attempts. A lot of those were from outside the box. Sweden dominated the midfield, and eventually Belgium just fell back.

While Belgium defended constantly, it looked very likely to be extra time, as Sweden just weren't taking advantage of their chances. Belgium looked limited here, and that impacted the quality of this one as a contest.

Sweden will be concerned about finishing, and where they are taking those shots from, as they're not likely to get so many chances against a strong England team.

4 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I had this discussion about darts recently.  Apparently these days ladies stand the same distance away from the oche in professional tournaments.  I always thought, from my pub frequenting experiences, and the wisdom within, that a man's height gave them an advantage that should be evened out.  

1 hour ago, Manuel said:

I had this discussion about darts recently.  Apparently these days ladies stand the same distance away from the oche in professional tournaments.  I always thought, from my pub frequenting experiences, and the wisdom within, that a man's height gave them an advantage that should be evened out.  

What advantages? I thought it was meant to be an equal playing field for everyone? Start doing that and short arse darts players will be demanding a closer mark to throw from. 

20 hours ago, John B said:

"GET IT FORWAAARRRRD!!!"?

14 hours ago, Turkish said:

What advantages? I thought it was meant to be an equal playing field for everyone? Start doing that and short arse darts players will be demanding a closer mark to throw from. 

Or they could wear high heels?

4 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

image.thumb.png.81b319af03360b6e8f95eeccc668231e.png

Upset, Batman, that The Guardian have used the word “brown” when describing someone with a different coloured skin? I guess that you will be lodging a complaint against them given the way you kicked off when I used the word recently?

1 minute ago, sadoldgit said:

Upset, Batman, that The Guardian have used the word “brown” when describing someone with a different coloured skin? I guess that you will be lodging a complaint against them given the way you kicked off when I used the word recently?

Casual racism from the Guardian - certainly not for the first time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Casual racism from the Guardian - certainly not for the first time.

Given the amount of hours you spend everyday trawling the internet for things of this topic, perhaps you would be kind enough to provide the evidence that using the word “brown” when describing someone’s ethnicity  is a racial slur yet using the words “black” and “white” are not?

Getting back to the football, apart from one dodgy early NI game, for me it has been very entertaining. It is pointless comparing it to men’s football but by its own standards women’s football is progressing in leaps and bounds. The goalkeeping, generally, has improved enormously and the quality of crossing has been excellent. It makes a refreshing change to see teams going for it and every one of the quarter finals have been worth watching. If taken on it’s own merits, there is plenty to enjoy but as others keep saying, if you don’t like it don’t watch it and don’t bother boring others with your negativity. There are plenty of Saints threads where you can dump that stuff if you feel the need.

Looking forward to the semis. France were by far the dominant team last night. But, not for the first time, simply couldn't convert. They had 33 attempts to 9 in reply. Unlike some previous games, they did really test the opposing keeper and defence  on numerous occassions, with more than one clearance off the line. Renard went into extra time with a bemused expression after yet another of her towering headers was just cleared.

As I've mentioned for a lot of games, both teams had chances. Netherlands had a dominant 10 minutes in the second half where they could have got the lead. The French made changes and all of them added to the French attack. Bacha, in particular, was a live wire popping up everywhere, and opening up space for Cascarino.

They may not have been as ruthless as England and Germany, but France have lots of creative outlets, strength in depth, and one of the best centre half's around in Renard.

Edit: Meant to mention that Van Der Gragt had an excellent game for the Dutch at the back. Without a club this past month... 🙂

Edited by Holmes_and_Watson
  • Like 2

Perhaps others have compared and contrasted the fast, open, free flowing style of football of the French Women on Saturday with the slow, narrow and aimless display by Saints playing against Watford earlier in the day. Whereas the French were very well drilled in an objective system of play where every player knew their role and their team mates runs and positions, automatism at it's very best.

Saints played their usual hesitant, slow, backwards & sideways game that became so wearisomely familiar last season with each player seemingly not knowing where his next pass was supposed to go, so more or less having to make it up as they went along.

It seems a very  long time ago when we played as slickly as the French women. What has happened to Ralph's fabled automatism that used to thrill us occasionally and the French demonstrated to such great effect?

On 24/07/2022 at 13:31, Trader said:

I notice the GBR's sprint teams at the World Athletics are exclusively black. 

Where's the diversity FFS?

The short relay teams have Darren Cambell and the long sprints have Tim Benjamin . So 50/50 !

Edited by East Kent Saint

9 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Not sensing much excitement today in anticipation of the big match.

The last couple of posts have all been about how brown the athletics relay teams are / aren't.

Have people forgotten that the Lionesses are about to roar?

Big match tonight and much like last time not a mention of it, which is surprising given some as so into it.

I've just been offered a free ticket last minute 🙂

Looking forward to this one. Both teams very strong but I think England will shade it. Sweden are well organised but they don't have the same goal threat England do. They were so dominant in their qtr final game but took them until the last minute to find a breakthrough.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Not sensing much excitement today in anticipation of the big match.

The last couple of posts have all been about how brown the athletics relay teams are / aren't.

Have people forgotten that the Lionesses are about to roar?

Nope - I’ll be watching it 

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

£50 for a season ticket for the saints ladies seems decent value. Is it at St Marys? 

They play at Totton’s ground but have a small number of games at St Mary’s (I think 2 or 3 last season). The article below says that next season there will be “more” games at St Mary’s than before.

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2022-07-07/st-marys-womens-home-matches-announcement-july-2022

Just now, The Kraken said:

They play at Totton’s ground but have a small number of games at St Mary’s (I think 2 or 3 last season). The article below says that next season there will be “more” games at St Mary’s than before.

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2022-07-07/st-marys-womens-home-matches-announcement-july-2022

How can they sell a season ticket then when it's at two different grounds? 

1 hour ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Nope - I’ll be watching it 

A couple of other folk watching it too...

"The previous cumulative total audience record of 164 million viewers in 2017 was surpassed following England`s 2-1 victory over Spain in the quarter-finals on July 20."

C'mon England!

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Big match tonight and much like last time not a mention of it, which is surprising given some as so into it.

Mrs is just about to go and pick our daughter up from work, just as it's reaching fever pitch in our house.  Looks like I'll be roaring the lionesses on on my own for now...

England have to be very pleased to be taking a 1-0 lead into half time. Sweden nearly went ahead within the first minute. They, like Spain, stopped the supply from Walsh. England looked to thread passes through the lines. But Sweden are narrow enough that it meant they regained possession and put England under pressure again. Sweden looked far the more likely, getting a few chances including one off the bar from close range.

England, being closed down were forced to be more direct. The strength of Kirby and Hemp brought England back into it. Lots of excellent passing out from deep for England. Sweden dropping back opened space up for Walsh again.

Bronze had been caught out taking players on,and Mead had a couple of loose passes. But it was Bronze's delivery into the middl, that reached Meade to give their team the lead. It was a confident finish to the half from England who had a couple more efforts, mostly from range.

But will they be able to control the second half and survive more Swedish pressure?

Didn't get to go in the end (someone else had already bagsied the ticket) so just watching on TV.

Frantic start from Sweden and they were exploiting the space well down the left.

Got a bit lucky with the header off the bar. 

England came back into it though and got a great goal from Beth Mead. Could hear the roar from my living room. 

Thing i noticed in Spanish game where england were thoroughly outplayed for portions of the game and again today is the difference in finishing quality from England.

Sweden with a glorious chance one on one with the keeper and the striker struggled to properly connect with the finish whereas both the stanway and mead finishes were drilled finishes.

Edited by Baird of the land