Women’s Football

Turkish

Win or lose the final, I think this year's BBC Sports Personality of The Year "Team Award" may already be decided.

I confess, I know next to nothing about the women's game, but I have tuned in for the last 2 games and what I do find refreshing is players not rolling around on the ground after the slightest contact, and players respecting the referees decisions. And credit where credit is due, I thought England played a really good attacking game.  The best goal ever though? Ummmmm, not sure about that claim.

• Like 3

Just now, Saint Keef said:

Win or lose the final, I think this year's BBC Sports Personality of The Year "Team Award" may already be decided.

I confess, I know next to nothing about the women's game, but I have tuned in for the last 2 games and what I do find refreshing is players not rolling around on the ground after the slightest contact, and players respecting the referees decisions. And credit where credit is due, I thought England played a really good attacking game.  The best goal ever though? Ummmmm, not sure about that claim.

This is the bit I am enjoying the most, it's football but without the bullsh*t. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Saint Keef said:

If women's football does get more and more popular, and the stakes get higher, I'm sure these elements will start creeping in.  

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

£50 for a season ticket for the saints ladies seems decent value. Is it at St Marys? 

They've announced today that all of the league fixtures will be at at St Marys (I think with the caveat that if St Mary's is double booked they might play at Totton).

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Scummer said:

They've announced today that all of the league fixtures will be at at St Marys (I think with the caveat that if St Mary's is double booked they might play at Totton).

That's a pretty decent deal then. £50 for the season for a bit of entertainment. I might consider that. 

5 hours ago, Saint Keef said:

Not enough BAME players for that award I’m afraid 

2 hours ago, Dman said:

Didn’t catch the game last night, but have seen a few clips online. 

Looks like it was real edge of your seat stuff based on this SSN commentary. 

Look, we get it, you're too cool to watch women's football. 

Why not give it a rest now eh? 

• Like 1

Good goal from Germany. Then a bit of good fortune for France with the lucky rebound off the keeper for the equaliser. 

Both teams are well organised so whoever gets to the final it won't be easy for England, but if they perform like they did last night I think both teams are beatable.

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Look, we get it, you're too cool to watch women's football. 

Why not give it a rest now eh? 

Yep, some people need to be told what's happening at ear splitting volume, clappers and preferably vuvuzelas in order to understand a goal has been scored. How would we know that something interesting has happened without any screaming in a half deserted studio?

46 minutes ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Yep, some people need to be told what's happening at ear splitting volume, clappers and preferably vuvuzelas in order to understand a goal has been scored. How would we know that something interesting has happened without any screaming in a half deserted studio?

Really not sure what point you're trying to make.

A much scrappier game than the previous games for either team. That was due to the amount of work going on in the middle. The high work rate there nullified a lot of attacking threat. It also resulted in plenty of moves that broke down and some misplaced passing.

In the end it suited Germany more, as they had a top striker in Popp, while France struggled to create through Cascarino and Bacha. Renard did get a couple of headers in, but Germany never felt likely to concede a second.

Either of these two had showed enough in the tournament to potentially beat England. A battling contest here belies the serious threat Germany will pose in the final. They managed to shut down both the French midfield and their creative players. England will have to be planning on ways to not let that happen to them.

2 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Really not sure what point you're trying to make.

Isn't it obvious? The normal (old?) Soccer Saturday crap of Merson and co screaming GOAL, THERE'S BEEN A GOAL JEFF, GOAL, LOOK AT ME, GOAL, ARHHHHHHH, GOAL, is tiresome.  I've no idea who this lady is, but the calmness in that clip was so much nicer than the normal shouting tripe. 

• Like 1

Is it getting so much bigger, my 11yr old daughter plays and there are now in the hants fa league about 32 teams just at u12s, couple this with 4yrs ago when she started there were about 10 teams, we've now been all over with tournaments and there are so many more teams around, we played in the Bristol Rovers tournament Sunday and there were 16 teams alone at her age group

• Like 1

9 hours ago, danjosaint said:

Is it getting so much bigger, my 11yr old daughter plays and there are now in the hants fa league about 32 teams just at u12s, couple this with 4yrs ago when she started there were about 10 teams, we've now been all over with tournaments and there are so many more teams around, we played in the Bristol Rovers tournament Sunday and there were 16 teams alone at her age group

In my area (SE Surrey) there are lots of opportunities for girls from Primary school age upwards who want to play football and you couldn't have said that just a couple of years ago. It is all looking good for cementing the future of women's football and those who enjoy and support it. Vive la Difference!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Was that your first thought when Germany got through? Because that's just sad. Move with the times man........

We need something more current and references the Nord pipeline 

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Not even a peep for over 46 hours.

I guess people just aren't interested in the biggest (hyped) game in world football.

Is this the only website you look at? You really shouldn't use it as a gauge for the popularity of the women's game. It's all over BBC home page and ALL the sports pages.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I guess people just aren't interested in the biggest (hyped) game in world football.

Or perhaps people that would've posted in this thread became jaded by the vocal minority that only intend to scoff, or to keep needlessly commenting on the amount of activity.

If it's not for you - and that's a collective 'you' - fine. We get it. But coming back again and again to tell us is pretty tiresome.

I'm really looking forward to tonight, and will crack something decent if we win. But what's the point trying to converse about it on here when it'll be derailed within a few posts?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cloggy saint said:

Is this the only website you look at? You really shouldn't use it as a gauge for the popularity of the women's game. It's all over BBC home page and ALL the sports pages.

That was my point.  It is plastered everywhere you look.  Every news or sports program has mentioned it for the last four days.

And yet, there are a number of people on this site who tell us how fantastic the game is, but hadn't mentioned the game in over 48 hours - in contrast there's a thread about the Tottenham match discussing potential line ups, tactics etc etc and that's not even on for another 6 days.

6 minutes ago, ant said:

Or perhaps people that would've posted in this thread became jaded by the vocal minority that only intend to scoff, or to keep needlessly commenting on the amount of activity.

If it's not for you - and that's a collective 'you' - fine. We get it. But coming back again and again to tell us is pretty tiresome.

I'm really looking forward to tonight, and will crack something decent if we win. But what's the point trying to converse about it on here when it'll be derailed within a few posts?

"one off" probably ;) 

6 minutes ago, ant said:

Well said. I am British, proud of it and will be supporting the England Lionesses today. I hope they can win their first major trophy but even if they lose they have done England proud. Just a few years ago who would have foreseen women's football selling out Wembley Stadium? Times are changing and cementing the future of women's football. Young girls will now have more opportunities to progress and why not? Sport should be available for all. So come on England's Lionesses, ROAR and SCORE.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Sarnia Cherie said:

Well said. I am British, proud of it and will be supporting the England Lionesses today. I hope they can win their first major trophy but even if they lose they have done England proud. Just a few years ago who would have foreseen women's football selling out Wembley Stadium? Times are changing and cementing the future of women's football. Young girls will now have more opportunities to progress and why not? Sport should be available for all. So come on England's Lionesses, ROAR and SCORE.

Tickets reasonably priced as well, Cat 3 for the final (behind goals) was £15 adults, £7.50 u16s. 

• Like 1

On 27/07/2022 at 17:28, Scummer said:

Shame, should have kept it at Totton, they have better Beer than St Marys.

5 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Crap trolling. 1/10

2 hours ago, ant said:

This.  There's no point discussing the Euros on here (or women's football in general).  The handful of dinosaurs are so vocal you have to wonder what their real motivation is?

1 hour ago, The Left Back said:

Crap trolling. 1/10

This.  There's no point discussing the Euros on here (or women's football in general).  The handful of dinosaurs are so vocal you have to wonder what their real motivation is?

For goodness sake, get a grip. Surely you are not going to be quietened by a bunch of moaners. I have never believed in letting the minority haters get the upper hand. If they get off on demeaning women and football you have to pity them if that's all they have to do. There are far more supporters for women football than ever before and it will continue to grow. That's what counts. 

• Like 2

Huge miss for Germany. I had England as favourites before the match, but thought Popp might have given Germany a fighting chance with the way she’s been finishing.

Need to hope England still give 100% after that… this is such a huge opportunity now…

Just now, whelk said:

I know you’d think a game of this stature should have a referee of the calibre of Lee Mason or Kevin Friend

Lee Mason wouldn't be out of place, he has tits as big as anyone else on the pitch.

15 minutes ago, adrian lord said:

Starting to resemble a school game where every player on the pitch apart from the goalkeepers, are surrounding the ball in a tight knot. 

What game are you watching then? Both teams' defensive shape has been very good. Hence why it's still 0-0.