Women’s Football

Turkish

29 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Exactly. They've clearly given away shit loads of tickets that aren't being used...again.

I don't think they have given tickets away tbf.  I think tickets were so cheap a lot of people bought on a whim and then couldn't be bothered to travel when the game came around.  Add to that the COVID rate ATM and it's not that surprising there's a lot of empty seats

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

This is the first woman's match IV watched in full and England have looked absolutely turd. We're they just overhyped by weirdos in the media? 

sadly i have to agree. Watched a fair bit of the Norway game and they were very good but been poor tonight. Still got the goal now so maybe they'll relax a bit. Spanish women reacting exactly as Spanish men do 🤣

I watched Spain v Germany and thought Spain were a distinct second best in that match, lots of pretty passing and not just sideways either, but Germany were able to snuff out the attacks so easily to the extent that it was 70% possession in Spain's favour but there was only going to be one winner. My impression at the time was that Spain would not get much further in the tournament, even if they qualified from the group.

Refereeing seems to have favoured Spain in both that game and tonight's but at this rate (as England equalise), whoever wins tonight is not going to lift the trophy. England struggling demonstrates that they have been massively overhyped.

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

This is the first woman's match IV watched in full and England have looked absolutely turd. We're they just overhyped by weirdos in the media? 

No they actually are one of the better teams. They were absolutely brilliant against Norway. Just Spain have done their homework and neutralised them quite effectively tonight.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Surprised how few comments there are on this match given this board has been swamped with people lauding the standard of games not involving England 

Have you not factored in the heat death toll? Sadly some posters will have fallen by the wayside

13 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

No they actually are one of the better teams. They were absolutely brilliant against Norway. Just Spain have done their homework and neutralised them quite effectively tonight.

Fair enough. Some of the reaction in the media made me expect more than what I've seen. Looked very pedestrian this far but hopefully they can go on and win this. 

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Fair enough. Some of the reaction in the media made me expect more than what I've seen. Looked very pedestrian this far but hopefully they can go on and win this. 

They isolated White and double marked Mead which nullified most of our attacking threat. 

• Like 2

Just now, AlexLaw76 said:

Keeper should have had that....great hit though

Think she was expecting the ball out wide and took a small step ready to cover the cross, then Stanway spotted her slightly off balance and took the shot.

Just now, The Kraken said:

Cracking finish. Come on then England, hold on to this. If you do, Sue is gonna be running around The Lanes later tonight waving her dungarees over her head taking on all-comers.

You are aware that "mental imagery" can be very dangerous, aren't you?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

What a finish. Daly was having some torrid moments at left back. Fine margins,. So when she missed an interception, it was a pass across and with the markers not in place a straight forward finish. Even Bright getting back on the line couldn't keep it out.

The England manager doesn't muck about, when it comes to subs. White, Mead and Daly all off. But even then it looked like Spain were going to see it out. Shifting Bright up front put more pressure on Spain. Despite Spain's moaning, it was a good header down by Russo, to allow Toone to level. 

England pushed back Spain in extra time. They were always the stronger of the two teams. Kelly made a real difference. But it was Hemp who had stayed on who diverted the Spanish defence, to allow Stanway to blast in the winner. She capitalised on Hemp's run, just moving the centre half a foot or two out of position to open up the angle. Smart play.

Having made some changes that seemed to suit England, Spain brought on a striker. But despite some nervous moments, particularly from one corner that the keeper couldn't clear, Spain weren't creating too many out and out chances.

England had to work really hard for this win, and there will be lots to learn from the match. But there some excellent performances.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

Cracking finish. Come on then England, hold on to this. If you do, Sue is gonna be running around The Lanes later tonight waving her dungarees over her head taking on all-comers.

Please Kraken, don't end up as Turkish's dupe. "Dungarees" is pretty much a standard offensive lesbian stereotype, and I can't recall ever wearing them unless I did when I was four. I'm not too bothered about such juvenalia myself, coz I'm not up for being bullied, but it is so, so wearisome to see.

And by the way, on a more general note., the problem is, all those spaces in the ground tonight weren't available to buy.. So don't some of you use it to beat women's football over the head. Have a go at Uefa's ticketing policies..

Anyway.. Holmes_and_Watson is far more sensible than me, as he just ignores the prats and comments on the game. I thought Spain were the better team in many respects, but as against Germany didn't make their possession and inter-passing count. Tournament football for you..

I suspect my team's football training won't be on as normal next Tuesday..:-)

• Like 2

Great match, and what a screamer for the win. Spain came to play, but we took it over and won like a good side needs to do. I don't put much stock in the fact that Germany beat them 2-0 in regulation, every match is different. In fact it may be even more impressive the way we took it to a good Spain side after getting down.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Or Norway are just total shite?

One thing I’ve noticed is that the weaker teams are soo soo poor and far behind the ‘stronger’ ones. I bet you never get an upset.

I tuned in, my first match of the tournament. Some of the comments led me to believe I'd be watching great football. It wasn't. Poor touches, stray balls, just not great quality. On the upside, it was competitive, both sides (more so Spain who looked much better in the bit I watched) tried to play proper football. The first 10 mins was enough, but on the whole it was better than my perception but not as good as the sales pitch if that makes sense. 

Regardless, well done England and good luck for the rest of the tournament.

7 hours ago, suewhistle said:

Please Kraken, don't end up as Turkish's dupe. "Dungarees" is pretty much a standard offensive lesbian stereotype, and I can't recall ever wearing them unless I did when I was four. I'm not too bothered about such juvenalia myself, coz I'm not up for being bullied, but it is so, so wearisome to see.

And by the way, on a more general note., the problem is, all those spaces in the ground tonight weren't available to buy.. So don't some of you use it to beat women's football over the head. Have a go at Uefa's ticketing policies..

Anyway.. Holmes_and_Watson is far more sensible than me, as he just ignores the prats and comments on the game. I thought Spain were the better team in many respects, but as against Germany didn't make their possession and inter-passing count. Tournament football for you..

I suspect my team's football training won't be on as normal next Tuesday..:-)

How is wearing dungarees an offensive stereotype? Weird 

13 minutes ago, egg said:

I tuned in, my first match of the tournament. Some of the comments led me to believe I'd be watching great football. It wasn't. Poor touches, stray balls, just not great quality. On the upside, it was competitive, both sides (more so Spain who looked much better in the bit I watched) tried to play proper football. The first 10 mins was enough, but on the whole it was better than my perception but not as good as the sales pitch if that makes sense. 

Careful mate. Last night Jimmy D was deleting any remotely negative post about the game or womens football within seconds. Only positive comments please 🤣🤣

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, egg said:

So much like watching Saints apart from the excellent extra time goal  the like of which we rarely see at StMarys 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I missed the first 15mins, when Austria were apparently giving Germany some problems. They had half a dozen attempts obyn goal by half time and I think I saw 1 of them. A physical encounter by two squads that know each other fairly well. But Germany's energy levels, tactics and teamwork are a bit above Austria's. They were putting more and more pressure on as the half went on. Blocking Austria's passing, closing them down and pushing in numbers where they found space.

It was a poor goalkick and a defence caught out, that gave Germany the chance to nick the ball, go down the side of the box, cut it back for a shot and a one goal lead. Austria didn't offer much, even after that as Germany didn't drop off the pace of the game. But a good instinctive play nearly worked. A good first time pass opened up a little space on the right flank. A first time pass into the middle was nearly picked up an Austrian player who was a real speed merchant, outrunning the defender from deep, only for the German keeper to get there first.

• Like 1

Austria hunted across the midfield in packs  at the start of the second half. Interesting to see Germany on the receiving end of it. They didn't like it. Austria nearly had a one on one, they hit the crossbar and then the post. The end of their attacking spell came when Germany took a booking to stop the Austrian speed merchant, Hickelsberger-Fuller, on a good run.

Germany started to get back in control. Popp and later Dallmann had nearly moments. As the half went on, and possibly as a result of the energy they'd spent, Austria's passing and decision making started to go downhill. Giving it away cheaply in the final third became hospital passes in the midfield before trying to play out from the back.

Buhl hit the bar, and showed an anguished look at the miss. It might have been on her mind not long after that, when she missed a sitter. In the end Austria were punished playing it out from the back. They'd had plenty of warnings. Their keeper hit in onto the rushing in Popp and it went in.

England will have learned a bit about Germany tonight. Austria had a good 10 minute spell on top and they are more limited in options than England.

• Like 2

On 21/07/2022 at 07:34, Turkish said:

Careful mate. Last night Jimmy D was deleting any remotely negative post about the game or womens football within seconds. Only positive comments please 🤣🤣

At the moment I think Women's football will improve when there is an improvement in the basic skills will no doubt will come in the next few years

The only non positive comment I would like to make is that it often takes ages for defenders to move the ball up the field from the RB/LB positions

12 minutes ago, John B said:

At the moment I think Women's football will improve when there is an improvement in the basic skills will no doubt will come in the next few years

The only non positive comment I would like to make is that it often takes ages for defenders to move the ball up the field from the RB/LB positions

I’ve not seen a great deal of it, but what I have seen the standard has been pretty poor. Especially in that game last night, which was a quarter final. 

Funny enough, of the limited I’ve seen, I’ve seen Austria twice and there LB is appalling. She can hardly get the ball off the ground when trying to put in a cross.

I can only assume she’s right footed playing LB.