Women’s Football

Turkish

Quite. In my time as a supporter of Saints and watcher of all levels including friends down the park, I've never watched some abominable defending, goalkeeping, crossing, shooting etc. (nominate a Saints player to yourself in all those categories!) and then rolled my eyes and said "men's football!", far less taking the effort to post to that effect.

It's tiresome in the extreme and a waste of time posting on these types of threads.

Women's professional football is a recent phenomenon, and nor do they get paid much but their importance is that they are there and for those with talent something to aim for and make all the effort worthwhile. That hasn't been there in the past so it's hardly surprising there is room for improvement. For most of us (men and women) who play or played grassroots football the professional game is an irrelevance: you play because you love playing. Fortunately most get on and do it but the attitudes from some on here illustrate wider societal attitudes towards women and girls playing football. 

Being disparaging about the game and then blaming the media for being patronising is not showing great awareness. The media are what they are, as anyone who has read Factless Allen will appreciate..

• Like 2

Gather the essentials: Your match ticket, ID, wallet and your phone. Make sure it’s fully charged! You can bring a small power supply if you’re worried about running out of battery.

Bags larger than A4 size (210x297mm) won’t be allowed inside the stadium. Put your bag against a piece of paper to check if it’s the right size.

• Make sure you haven’t packed anything that’s on the list of prohibited items, such as food and drinks, umbrellas and professional cameras.

Remember St Mary's Stadium is a cashless stadium, so bring credit / debit cards, or mobile devices for contactless payment.

Prepare for hot weather: Pack sunscreen (max. bottle size: 50ml), sunglasses and a hat, and remember to stay hydrated.

For more tips on how to prep like a pro, have a look at our Prepping & Packing guide.

Didnt realise that st marys had turned into an airport

3 hours ago, suewhistle said:

Quite. In my time as a supporter of Saints and watcher of all levels including friends down the park, I've never watched some abominable defending, goalkeeping, crossing, shooting etc. (nominate a Saints player to yourself in all those categories!) and then rolled my eyes and said "men's football!", far less taking the effort to post to that effect.

It's tiresome in the extreme and a waste of time posting on these types of threads.

Women's professional football is a recent phenomenon, and nor do they get paid much but their importance is that they are there and for those with talent something to aim for and make all the effort worthwhile. That hasn't been there in the past so it's hardly surprising there is room for improvement. For most of us (men and women) who play or played grassroots football the professional game is an irrelevance: you play because you love playing. Fortunately most get on and do it but the attitudes from some on here illustrate wider societal attitudes towards women and girls playing football. 

Being disparaging about the game and then blaming the media for being patronising is not showing great awareness. The media are what they are, as anyone who has read Factless Allen will appreciate..

It is the BBC ridiculing/patronising womens footy, not us.

To highlight that woeful shot as 'beckham-esque' is embarrassing for their game!

11 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

It is the BBC ridiculing/patronising womens footy, not us.

To highlight that woeful shot as 'beckham-esque' is embarrassing for their game!

Right, yeah. Because no men's commentator has ever made a massive tit of himself by coming out with a load of exaggerated nonsense has he. It definitely 100% only happens in women's games doesn't it. 🙄

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Right, yeah. Because no men's commentator has ever made a massive tit of himself by coming out with a load of exaggerated nonsense has he. It definitely 100% only happens in women's games doesn't it. 🙄

The mens game get an absolute sledging at a sniff of anything that deserves it.

Caught the last 30mins of a Belgium/ Iceland draw. Just in time to catch the Belgian penalty to even it up. Like a number of the level games in this tournament, both teams go for it. There's no best third placed finishes to placate big countries here.

This was another finish of stretched teams, with chances for both. A penalty ruled out for offside, a tip over the bar, and good heading chances made for an entertaining finale. Replays show that Iceland had missed an earlier penalty. From what I saw, they are going to be the more disappointed if the two.

55 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Caught the last 30mins of a Belgium/ Iceland draw. Just in time to catch the Belgian penalty to even it up. Like a number of the level games in this tournament, both teams go for it. There's no best third placed finishes to placate big countries here.

This was another finish of stretched teams, with chances for both. A penalty ruled out for offside, a tip over the bar, and good heading chances made for an entertaining finale. Replays show that Iceland had missed an earlier penalty. From what I saw, they are going to be the more disappointed if the two.

Is that the game that was played at a training ground?

An elite competition played at a training ground….

11 minutes ago, Dman said:

I don't know. I was watching the game, and wherever it was had a decent atmosphere and it didn't stand out. I'd heard there had been some rumblings over venues, and their capacities, so probably connected to that.

18 minutes ago, Dman said:

Considering the number of mid size stadiums we have in the country it's a ridiculous decision.

Iceland are really annoyed about it. They sold out their tickets and would have sold a load more if the games had been scheduled for a bigger venue.

14 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

7,000 capacity 'stadium' owned by Man City is probably a little better than the 'roko' training ground.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Stadium

Stadium Capacity is reduced to less than 5000 for the tournament, 4400 I believe. And still, the reported attendance was less than 4,000. 

Its a difficult balance. Northern Ireland are based at St Mary’s and they got around 10000 for their game, around 30% of capacity. That’s a bit rubbish really (in terms of how many empty seats there will be) and a number of other similar sized stadiums won’t get close to selling out. On the flip side, a stadium less than 5,000 is also a bit shit, but if the game doesn’t actually sell out, can you argue with the choice?

Edited by The Kraken

17 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Stadium Capacity is reduced to less than 5000 for the tournament, 4400 I believe. And still, the reported attendance was less than 4,000. 

Its a difficult balance. Northern Ireland are based at St Mary’s and they got around 10000 for their game, around 30% of capacity. That’s a bit rubbish really (in terms of how many empty seats there will be) and a number of other similar sized stadiums won’t get close to selling out. On the flip side, a stadium less than 5,000 is also a bit shit, but if the game doesn’t actually sell out, can you argue with the choice?

My feeling, based on zippo research into the figures/logistics, was that they erred on the side of caution in order to give each game a solid atmosphere.  For some they've gone too far in one direction, upsetting teams. But in others, perhaps the lack of bodies would have led to noticable echoing stadium. I see someone has posted the man city training ground above. It's a pretty nice training ground.

Crowd noise has been okay for me. At the end of Sants season when they were getting a cup final and a play off final, there were rumblings about suitable stadia too. Seemingly to do with avaliability, which seemed odd and as if the FA hadn't really got their act together. 

31 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Are France really good or are Italy a bit shit? It's an absolute battering in the first half.

Italy have given them loads of space. Not closing them down centrally, and also allowing them to overlap and get balls in from wide. France have shown better finishing than some other teams, but they've been given loads of time to set up the chances. Italy nearly down to 10 there.

5 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

From memory, the Beckham-esque reference was due to it simply being a shot from that distance, rather than the outcome of it. How media have then spun it, I've no idea. These forums are littered with posts of people mentioning what lemons the media are, so any hype/ spin nonsense they churn out to get hits/clicks/views should come as no surprise.

All over at half time. Italy reduced the space between their lines for the second half. While that may have stopped some of the gaps for France to exploit, France didn't really have to do anything else after their first 45 minutes. A consolation goal and one off the line fro Italy, didn't really take away from France's domination of this one.

17 hours ago, The Cat said:

Are France really good or are Italy a bit shit? It's an absolute battering in the first half.

Quite a few of the French Team play for Lyon serial Champions League winners - some of the inter play when their tails were up first half was impressive. There was no doubt they lifted their foot of the gas second half as the game was won. 
Doubt many teams will be keen to play them. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Of course they have and they get pelters when it happens. As they should. 

Just now, Chris cooper said:

5 subs used … no Laura rafferty in both games now.

doubt she’ll get a look in vs England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 either 

She surely cant be any worse that what was out there, seen NI twice now and the worst team i've ever seen,

On 10/07/2022 at 13:25, haddock22 said:

Gather the essentials: Your match ticket, ID, wallet and your phone. Make sure it’s fully charged! You can bring a small power supply if you’re worried about running out of battery.

Bags larger than A4 size (210x297mm) won’t be allowed inside the stadium. Put your bag against a piece of paper to check if it’s the right size.

• Make sure you haven’t packed anything that’s on the list of prohibited items, such as food and drinks, umbrellas and professional cameras.

Remember St Mary's Stadium is a cashless stadium, so bring credit / debit cards, or mobile devices for contactless payment.

Prepare for hot weather: Pack sunscreen (max. bottle size: 50ml), sunglasses and a hat, and remember to stay hydrated.

For more tips on how to prep like a pro, have a look at our Prepping & Packing guide.

Didnt realise that st marys had turned into an airport

Prepare for hot weather, but don't you dare bring any sustenance if you didn't buy it inside the stadium at our special inflated prices.

I put up with it at Spurs new stadium as a one-off, don't think I could be bothered to go if this is the new norm.

Just now, The Kraken said:

A shame to the see that the women are as good at conning the ref as the blokes are.

That doesn’t happen in womens football there is no ego, no cheating, they’re all nice lasses who just play for the love of the sport