Women’s Football

Turkish

40 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

For a start Kadeisha is a womans name.

I'll stop you there as you got angry typing and didn't read it right. As I said...'on the main page it said Buchanan to take Terry's shirt number' No mention of Kadeisha.

2nd point you are right, I don't know much about the women's game apart from Sam Kerr as she is on the TV/radio every 5 mins here.

Your 3rd point is a bit meh too, I feel I do have a decent grasp which is why I clicked as I thought who the fuck is he - I mean Chelsea do sign good youngsters I've never heard of to be honest so thought it might be one of them.

33 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Unless they’ve played the same day you will know it’s not the mens game though? They aren’t being ambiguous, they’re stating a headline just as they would if it was the mens game. Again, you clicking on it believing it to be for the mens game is down to you, not them. They’re certainly not being ambiguous if they’ve spent all week forcing it down your throat telling you the fixture is going to be played as everyone seems to be saying on here and then they tell you the result. 

If you really need everything sign posted with clear headlines stating ‘WOMENS GAME ALERT’ then my suggestion is you need educating in both forms of the game and that you aren’t taking in any of the coverage they’re forcing on you constantly.

No not always. I haven't always memorised the fixtures and it's not something I can always recall, particularly when I'm just lazily browsing a website. Like I said, not the worst thing in the world but it is a bit irritating when it's happened a number of times and as I suspect is being done deliberately. That's just one example as well, it's actually happened quite a few times with different types of headlines that's just one that sprang to mind. I didn't say anything about forcing it down my throat, calm down! 

You seem extremely perturbed by a harmless opinion. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cloggy saint said:

Surely if you were a football fan and even vaguely clued up you'd be aware of a men's game between Chelsea and Man City?

Not every single week no I have other things in my life. That was also just one example and I plucked two random teams. I could have been West Ham and Arsenal for all I know. 

6 hours ago, Dorchester Saint said:

Agreed!! I tried watching it once, I gave up the first time a goal kick failed to reach the halfway line. Womens football is f*cking shit!

Well, we now know Dorchester's criteria for decent football... HOOF!

On a more general level threads like this remind me of the old joke: How do you know someone is vegan? They'll tell you.

The same with women's football. They come on to a thread specifically entitled "Women's Football" just to tell you that it is shit and being forced upon them.. You can pretty well predict who will post from their other contributions on here.. So I tend to ignore such threads, click on something else, turn the page, switch channels: all techniques some on here should learn if they want to avoid specific subjects.

But whilst I'm here, has anybody got a spare ticket for the England game at St. Marys? I've got tickets for the other two games but wasn't organised enough to get the England game which sold out quickly.

Just now, suewhistle said:

On a more general level threads like this remind me of the old joke: How do you know someone is vegan? They'll tell you.

The same with women's football. They come on to a thread specifically entitled "Women's Football" just to tell you that it is shit and being forced upon them.. You can pretty well predict who will post from their other contributions on here.. So I tend to ignore such threads, click on something else, turn the page, switch channels: all techniques some on here should learn if they want to avoid specific subjects.

But whilst I'm here, has anybody got a spare ticket for the England game at St. Marys? I've got tickets for the other two games but wasn't organised enough to get the England game which sold out quickly.

I think Women's football is good and I'm fully supportive of it I just don't like misleading headlines on websites I frequent that waste my time. 

• Like 3

I’m all for the women’s game growing and want my little girl to have the chance of dreaming to be a big star just like we all probably did when we were young.

What’s really important is that it tries to be unique in its own right and not just try to bolt itself to the men’s game. I definitely don’t like some of the tricks currently being used to get our attention.

Would love to see them using unique looking kits and promoting a creative-over-physical approach to playing the game.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

What’s really important is that it tries to be unique in its own right and not just try to bolt itself to the men’s game. I definitely don’t like some of the tricks currently being used to get our attention.

The only way a lot of crowds are going to grow is by bolting on to the mens teams. I don’t have a problem with that, it’s a pretty logical step really and the best way to quickly grow interest in the game. The FA fucked over the womens game for long enough, so they’re not exactly starting from a level playing field, a bit of a leg up isn’t unreasonable.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I think Women's football is good and I'm fully supportive of it I just don't like misleading headlines on websites I frequent that waste my time. 

Again, there’s nothing misleading about the headline stating a football score unless you click on it and it’s not that score. They have spent all week building up the games that are on that weekend, men and womens, and you have decided/not been able to engage in that but they can’t be held responsible for your pre determined belief that the mens game is the only possible thing that that headline can be about. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

The only way a lot of crowds are going to grow is by bolting on to the mens teams. I don’t have a problem with that, it’s a pretty logical step really and the best way to quickly grow interest in the game. The FA fucked over the womens game for long enough, so they’re not exactly starting from a level playing field, a bit of a leg up isn’t unreasonable.

Yes, it's not unfair to say that.  Let's hope the women's game will eventually truly stand on its own two feet. 

50 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

I’m all for the women’s game growing and want my little girl to have the chance of dreaming to be a big star just like we all probably did when we were young.

Would love to see them using unique looking kits and promoting a creative-over-physical approach to playing the game.

I absolutely agree. Well said.

29 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Again, there’s nothing misleading about the headline stating a football score unless you click on it and it’s not that score. They have spent all week building up the games that are on that weekend, men and womens, and you have decided/not been able to engage in that but they can’t be held responsible for your pre determined belief that the mens game is the only possible thing that that headline can be about. 

A few years ago the BBC said they would start giving prominence to women's sport- something I don't really have a problem with. Prior to this I believe these types of headlines were cleared marked as women's football. Personally when I read a headline talking about City or Arsenal, the assumption used to be that they were talking about the actual men's teams and not the womens. Now every time I view similar headlines I have to pause to consider which teams they are discussing and if it's actually going to be something of interest to me. I'm not always aware of every single game that is going to be on every single weekend and prior to this agenda pushing from the BBC and Sky I didn't have to be in order to avoid small annoyances that I've already outlined. Like I mentioned, not the worst thing in the world but I'd prefer that they didn't do it because it's a relatively new practice. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I think it's sensible from a marketing point of view to use the names and identities of mens teams etc. I just don't like the feeling of being duped with content and headlines online- also when records are compared with the mens team like they are in any way comparable. 

Crikey, what a value some of you put on your time. How long does it take to read a headline and decide the article isn't for you, or to read the first line of an article. At most I think a few seconds. But that is clearly too long for a lot of you. I hope you are this ruthlessly efficient about every aspect of life.

Women's football may not be to the same standard as men's but that doesn't mean it isn't enjoyable, and doesn't mean it shouldn't be given a platform to develop. 

• Like 3

There has been a massive increase in female participation at youth levels in the last 5 years or so.

I coach U13s and the skill standard is comparable across both boys and girls at that age and below.  Although physical side starts to have a bigger impact in older groups.  I have noticed that girls teams are generally less focused on individuals and play as a team more.    One of the challenges is the higher drop out rate of girls participating as they get older but the FA have launched some schemes to try and address this.  Having the Euros will also create a lot more interest and increase participation.

Be interesting to see how this impacts the women's game in the next 5-10 years and if it is sustained.

With regard to the coverage on BBC etc,  I tend to agree that it wouldn't be hard to add a distinguisher.  Personally it is pretty obvious but if others need some help then why not.

25 minutes ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

Crikey, what a value some of you put on your time. How long does it take to read a headline and decide the article isn't for you, or to read the first line of an article. At most I think a few seconds. But that is clearly too long for a lot of you. I hope you are this ruthlessly efficient about every aspect of life.

Women's football may not be to the same standard as men's but that doesn't mean it isn't enjoyable, and doesn't mean it shouldn't be given a platform to develop. 

I've said more than once it's a minor irritant but has got worse as it's become more frequent. I agree, women's football can be enjoyable and it should be given a platform. 

There’s quite clearly a click bait angle on many of these headlines and it is irritating. If you’re writing headlines including the players name, Real Madrid, Chelsea, winning the Champions League 5 times, a three year contract and John Terry’s 26 shirt but don’t bother to mention that it’s Chelsea women, that deliberate.

If you like woman's football then great, enjoy it for what it is but stop trying to wind people up by pretending Player A is now only 2 goals behind Eusebio’s international record, etc.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

This will always be funny, the under 15 boys team beat the women's national team in US.

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/a-dallas-fc-under-15-boys-squad-beat-the-u-s-womens-national-team-in-a-scrimmage/

I don’t think it’s funny, it’s really just a natural comparison of male sports versus female sports. High school boys will, on average, be faster and stronger than adult women. With football it’s kind of difficult to make a direct comparison, because it’s skills plus strength/pace/fitness, but nonetheless it’s still a valid comparison.

https://boysvswomen.com/#/

There’s another chart, which I can’t find online now, but shows the womens world record for athletics events and what the lowest male age group equivalent is. In some instances the male record at 12 and 13 years old beats the womens equivalent. Just biology innit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

There’s quite clearly a click bait angle on many of these headlines and it is irritating. If you’re writing headlines including the players name, Real Madrid, Chelsea, winning the Champions League 5 times, a three year contract and John Terry’s 26 shirt but don’t bother to mention that it’s Chelsea women, that deliberate.

If you like woman's football then great, enjoy it for what it is but stop trying to wind people up by pretending Player A is now only 2 goals behind Eusebio’s international record, etc.

I would accept being merged in if they adopted Blatter’s suggestion of tighter shorts. Sorry Sue

On 20/06/2022 at 14:51, suewhistle said:

But whilst I'm here, has anybody got a spare ticket for the England game at St. Marys? I've got tickets for the other two games but wasn't organised enough to get the England game which sold out quickly. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Dorchester Saint

On 20/06/2022 at 09:31, egg said:

You're focusing on people choosing to follow the women's game. People can do that if they want, and you make some good points about the lack of ego etc. It's a different issue though to it featuring on the BBC webpage etc alongside men's football. As you say "it's a different game" so they could have separate sections for mens football and women's football so that those who have an interest in that game can check it out the news if they want to. 

It does have a separate section - on the BBC Sport website anyway - it’s just that some of the headlines appear alongside the men’s. I treat it as I do other headlines (Scottish football, European updates) and skip past things I’m not interested in. Not a biggie. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SW11_Saint said:

It does have a separate section - on the BBC Sport website anyway - it’s just that some of the headlines appear alongside the men’s. I treat it as I do other headlines (Scottish football, European updates) and skip past things I’m not interested in. Not a biggie. 

The point is that fairly frequently it is impossible to distinguish it from the mens football because they are worded in an ambiguous fashion so you end up wasting time clicking on it and reading it. I'd rather they didn't do that but I suspect they do it in order to trick people into clicking on the articles. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

The point is that fairly frequently it is impossible to distinguish it from the mens football because they are worded in an ambiguous fashion so you end up wasting time clicking on it and reading it. I'd rather they didn't do that but I suspect they do it in order to trick people into clicking on the articles. 

You’re not being tricked, you’re just not educated enough to decipher the difference. That’s not them tricking you, it’s you being ignorant. Which is fine by the way, you don’t have to be aware of womens football fixtures/players and nor do you have to be aware of mens fixtures and players either but the consequences of not knowing/being actively engaged in these things is you may not be able to skip over things which you’re not interested in. That’s on you though and not because they are deliberately tricking you. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

You’re not being tricked, you’re just not educated enough to decipher the difference. That’s not them tricking you, it’s you being ignorant. Which is fine by the way, you don’t have to be aware of womens football fixtures/players and nor do you have to be aware of mens fixtures and players either but the consequences of not knowing/being actively engaged in these things is you may not be able to skip over things which you’re not interested in. That’s on you though and not because they are deliberately tricking you. 

It's got nothing to do with education. Often the headlines decline to mention any details beyond the surname of a player. Unless your suggesting that I should be aware of every single player who may possibly have signed for every major men and women's team in the country, I don't see how I could be better informed. Besides, a number of people have now said the same thing has happened to them (and it didn't used to happen a few years ago) so it's clearly not just something unique to me. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

It's got nothing to do with education. Often the headlines decline to mention any details beyond the surname of a player. Unless your suggesting that I should be aware of every single player who may possibly have signed for every major men and women's team in the country, I don't see how I could be better informed. Besides, a number of people have now said the same thing has happened to them (and it didn't used to happen a few years ago) so it's clearly not just something unique to me. 

You’re not being tricked. It might not be unique but none of you are being tricked. You could be more educated about the different games yes. You’ve said that yourself when you said you don’t have time to work out what games are on each week. Fine, but that’s not the BBC’s fault and when they put a headline stating Chelsea thrash United or whatever it was that so brilliantly duped you, it’s not some deceptive trickery on their part that has you believing that could be the version of the game you’re so interested in despite not knowing that isn’t a fixture in the mens game that week. 

Anyway this is going round in circles and you’re clearly set in your ways and beliefs which is why you want things spelled out for you like they were before and you don’t like the idea of change or the womens game growing to the extent that it dares to try and engage with you. Hopefully one day you realise it’s your issue and not the fact that Womens football and in this instance the BBC are just trying to have it on a level footing with mens football or even if you can’t comprehend that maybe, just maybe, they’re trying to tell you that Chelsea thrashed United one week. Would be hilarious to see the outrage if every mens football headline clearly stated it was mens football by the way, even for a day people like you would be frothing at the mouth.

I haven’t even pointed out that pretty much every BBC sport headline nowadays is accompanied with a picture either but why let facts and common sense get in the way of a good old fashioned meltdown on an internet message board.

• Confused 3

On 20/06/2022 at 14:51, suewhistle said:

I've got one you can have but as you've got me on ignore you wont see this message, too bad for you.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, SW11_Saint said:

Tickets still available for the womens Euros at SMS (N. Ireland’s base). https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2022-06-23/tickets-uefa-womens-euro-2022-general-sale-two-weeks-to-go-southampton

Surprised by that, I thought I read a report quite a few weeks ago saying all the games at SMS had sold out.

Edit. Maybe it’s just the England game that has sold out.

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, cloggy saint said:

And? You realise there are no men's games being played, right?

This is true but football isn't the only sport so maybe not a good example, I have a problem when they (BBC, SKY, Media) use clickbait headlines to draw attention, that is what annoys me about it. 

Womens football can't do too much about the media agenda so I'll just stop checking websites that I know do it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Kraken said:

Surprised by that, I thought I read a report quite a few weeks ago saying all the games at SMS had sold out.

Edit. Maybe it’s just the England game that has sold out.

Just the England game. Thousands still available for Northern Ireland v Norway and Northern Ireland v Austria, unless they give loads out to schools I'd expect those games to be quite empty. 

England game will be a good occasion and I've got tickets for my daughter to go, as its the last group game might not actually be anything riding on it 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Turkish said:

Who else is buzzing for the big kick off tonight? Surprised there hasn't been more chatter about it on here.

I'm really looking forward to it.  Taking my 2 girls and they are very excited.  

Lets hope the Lionesses don't let us down like the men's team do. 

Just now, John D said:

I'm really looking forward to it.  Taking my 2 girls and they are very excited.  

Lets hope the Lionesses don't let us down like the men's team do. 

Don't the Lionesses have a vaguely competent manager? If so, it should stand them in far better stead than the men's team! Hopefully they do well at any rate.

Do saints have much representation in the tournament?

19 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Who else is buzzing for the big kick off tonight? Surprised there hasn't been more chatter about it on here.

You bored now the Rainbow Saints thread has been locked?

I'm looking forward to it, should be some good games towards the latter stages, and initially nice to see some players I've not heard of at the smaller teams. I do wonder how much game time Rafferty will get, given that NI are playing at St Marys.

Shame that Spain's best player has done her ACL, was looking forward to watching her play, given how hard it is to watch Barcelona women's games.

31 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Laura Rafferty is in the NI squad. Unsure about any others though.

33 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Was doing an image search for a project at work and stumbled across this beauty:

image.thumb.jpeg.d07ecb6a8d21b8c5c9d964d3317ca43a.jpeg

Didn’t think we were allowed to post porn?