Women’s Football

Turkish

Cracking goals from Mead and Russo. Interesting finally ahead. Would be nice to win the tournament and give the men something to think about going into the World Cup.

Edited by SNSUN

Was quite impressed with us tonight.  Thought our desire to get the ball back, our press and our tackling was first class.  When we fouled, we fouled in good areas as well.  Rode our luck a little in the first half, but overall we'll deserved result. 👏 well done the lionesses. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Wiegman must have the most secure manager’s job in football at the moment. Been fantastic for us.

Would do a better job than Ralph and I’m being bloody serious.

Why is it a man can coach a Ladies team but a lady coaching a man’s team is unheard of?

4 minutes ago, The Cat said:

I'm at a gig, between bands was reading about this amazing goal and then I watched it and it was something a 5 year old should have saved.

Could argue all but our first goal were very soft

7 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Would do a better job than Ralph and I’m being bloody serious.

Why is it a man can coach a Ladies team but a lady coaching a man’s team is unheard of?

Because either of these sides would be soundly beaten by a mens National League team. Just enjoy the game, stop trying to compare men’s and women’s football.

• Like 4

Couldn't have got off to a better start to the second half. Strong, directed downward header from Bronze, with Hemp onside and blocking some of the view for the keeper. But Sweden, like other teams against England, will look to their lack of finishing. They had a couple of good headed chances. At the other end Hemp missed a bit of a sitter, before Sweden had another good chance.

England are among the most versatile teams in the tournament. They struggle with Walsh cut off. They can have issues with White closely marked. But Mead and Hemp in particular offer pace, strength and trickery. Stanway and Kirby offer attacking options and Daly's time as a forward enables her to pick out spaces for the attackers. England have strengths across the team. So, if one approach fails they can find a way round it.

Russo delivered again from the bench. Involved from the second she came on, getting a clever back heeled third. The Swedish keeper will not look back on the game fondly, with Russo's effort going through her legs. She should have got more on Kirby's goal, a chip that she got hands to, but couldn't keep out. Her positioning for the first wasn't the best either. By that stage England were in control. Kelly offers plenty of attacking threat, coming on late. Each of the subs did well, in controlling the game to the end. 4-0 might seem flattering, but England had to dig in early and work hard. The scoreline reflects how, unlike other teams here, how unpredictable they can be, offering threats from different areas.

They will have to still work at stopping opponents getting clear chances, particularly early in the game. Looking forward to seeing if it's a final against Germany or France.

• Like 1

Well I watched this game and I have to say that England looked a lot better than the previous game. I did actually enjoy it more than I thought I would do. Some of the keeping was terrible and the commentary and pundits afterwards were ridiculous hyping it up out of all proportion which ruined some of it for me but overall that was an improvement. 

13 minutes ago, The Cat said:

I'm at a gig, between bands was reading about this amazing goal and then I watched it and it was something a 5 year old should have saved.

If Ronaldo had scored that everyone would be talking about how audacious it was. Ok, it went through the keepers legs but who was expecting Russo to do that?

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, The Cat said:

I disagree. Firstly the keeper's view was blocked by her own defender and despite it being a back-heel there was a bit of pace on the ball. Also the keeper's feet were some way apart, which is the correct starting position, she was just unlucky/England were lucky that the ball went right between them. We see PL keepers concede goals that go through their legs week in week out and it's not classed as an error. Having said that she made a right mess of the fourth.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Didn't get to go in the end (someone else had already bagsied the ticket) so just watching on TV.

Frantic start from Sweden and they were exploiting the space well down the left.

Got a bit lucky with the header off the bar. 

England came back into it though and got a great goal from Beth Mead. Could hear the roar from my living room. 

weird how you only posted once when you were waxing lyrical about a game not involving england the other day. Maybe seeing what Gemma and Luca were getting up to on Love Island distracted you?

You could have got in if you’d wanted too, 28000 attendance in a 32,000 capacity stadium = plenty of empty seats 

Edited by Turkish

8 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Well I watched this game and I have to say that England looked a lot better than the previous game. I did actually enjoy it more than I thought I would do. Some of the keeping was terrible and the commentary and pundits afterwards were ridiculous hyping it up out of all proportion which ruined some of it for me but overall that was an improvement. 

What were the pundits saying? I had to switch off shortly after full time.

Was it more hyped up than when the men got to the final last year? I have recollection of the likes if Linekar and Wright crying with joy etc.

9 hours ago, The Cat said:

I’ve seen it being described as the best goal you’ll ever see. Not seen many people describe it as an absolute goalkeeping howler which it should have been.

glad the girls won but some of the comments are hilarious.

11 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I’ve seen it being described as the best goal you’ll ever see. Not seen many people describe it as an absolute goalkeeping howler which it should have been.

glad the girls won but some of the comments are hilarious.

Absolutely. If the England keeper had let that in she would have been comprehensively slaughtered for the mistake. 

It’s nice to watch an England team who attack, Southgate take note.

11 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

It was an entertaining uplifting watch and a great result.

But I'm sure that if I try hard I can find something to be angry, negative or disappointed about.....

I enjoyed it but the hype now is starting to annoy. BBC News just after game had first 10 mins dedicated to it. Ridiculous. I get it is uplifting story in a world full of gloom but needs to not get too hysterical about it’s significance

10 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

It was an entertaining uplifting watch and a great result.

But I'm sure that if I try hard I can find something to be angry, negative or disappointed about.....

Who is angry? I enjoyed it again, but some of the reaction to the third goal is crazy, "best goal you'll ever see" LOL. It trickled through the keepers legs, sort of goal you'd be disappointed if an under 8s keeper let in. I know a lot of you lot are desperate to be seen as lovely, great people lapping it all up but doesn't mean you have to pretend things are what they aren't

9 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

If Ronaldo had scored that everyone would be talking about how audacious it was. Ok, it went through the keepers legs but who was expecting Russo to do that?

So we are now back to comparing the mens and womens games are we? It's difficult to keep up with all this.

56 minutes ago, jawillwill said:

What were the pundits saying? I had to switch off shortly after full time.

Was it more hyped up than when the men got to the final last year? I have recollection of the likes if Linekar and Wright crying with joy etc.

That was also awful but I do understand that to an extent given how long it had been since we got there and given how competitive the mens game is. One of the women pundits was saying something like "pinch me is this real?" which given that we had been in two semis and a final 13 years ago is a bit of a ridiculous thing to say. Saying things like "absolutely everyone is talking about this the country is going to be insane." None of that is true. I'm really pleased they are doing well and it would be great if they win it but overstating the achievement and the level of interest just makes it seem like they have been told to do that by the BBC. 

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

That was also awful but I do understand that to an extent given how long it had been since we got there and given how competitive the mens game is. One of the women pundits was saying something like "pinch me is this real?" which given that we had been in two semis and a final 13 years ago is a bit of a ridiculous thing to say. Saying things like "absolutely everyone is talking about this the country is going to be insane." None of that is true. I'm really pleased they are doing well and it would be great if they win it but overstating the achievement and the level of interest just makes it seem like they have been told to do that by the BBC. 

A hyperbolic media is definitely one of the most frustrating aspects of modern culture. Personally, I can forgive them this time. It wasn’t just the result, but that they’d thrashed the second ranked team in the world, in a home tournament, to play a major final at Wembley, in front of crowds they’d only dreamed of before. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, percy windham said:

A hyperbolic media is definitely one of the most frustrating aspects of modern culture. Personally, I can forgive them this time. It wasn’t just the result, but that they’d thrashed the second ranked team in the world, in a home tournament, to play a major final at Wembley, in front of crowds they’d only dreamed of before. 

Fair enough. I just wish they'd applaud the result without pretending its something its not. It actually devalues the real achievements. The exact same when they compare records between the women's and men's games. Celebrate the achievement for what it is. 

• Like 2

Meh, ignore the naysayers.  This is what Ian Wright has to say about the game this morning :

The pressure those girls have had to get to a final in your own country is tough. We saw it with the guys, unfortunately they couldn’t get it over the line.

They’re heroes. The parents, the brothers, the mums and dads to take those girls, who they didn’t even know could become professional players, to the pinnacle of achievement that is going to be amazing.

I think they have won already. It’s quite outstanding. I can't put it into words.

Heroes they are, or maybe heroines?

Tbf what one person thinks is an epic moment plenty of others will be completely non-plussed about….  Why people who are non-plussed feel so strongly about their non-plussedness that they need to tell the world (or Saints fans) that they are non-plussed and why they should be as well is the real head-scratcher here.

Anyway, congrats to the ladies!  Looking forward to the final on Sunday.  Think we need to defend a little better and certainly start better, but we’ve got a great chance no matter which of Germany or France we’re playing

Edited by Barsiem
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

Absolutely. If the England keeper had let that in she would have been comprehensively slaughtered for the mistake. 

It’s nice to watch an England team who attack, Southgate take note.

I doubt the Swedish media will be giving Lindahl a favourable review this morning.....

17 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

Tbf what one person thinks is an epic moment plenty of others will be completely non-plussed about….  Why people who are non-plussed feel so strongly about their non-plussedness that they need to tell the world (or Saints fans) that they are non-plussed and why they should be as well is the real head-scratcher here.

Anyway, congrats to the ladies!  Looking forward to the final on Sunday.  Think we need to defend a little better and certainly start better, but we’ve got a great chance no matter which of Germany or France we’re playing

I love people posting on a forum not understanding why differing opinions are being aired and discussed. 

32 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Meh, ignore the naysayers.  This is what Ian Wright has to say about the game this morning :

Heroes they are, or maybe heroines?

I like how Wrighty made sure he said "last woman" in place of last man. That's the kind of thing I'd have to rehearse prior to the game to make sure I got it right. 

4 minutes ago, whelk said:

I love people posting on a forum not understanding why differing opinions are being aired and discussed. 

Quite an ironic post mate… all I’ve done is post my opinion, which as you rightly point out is what forums are designed for.