Pre Season 22/23

EBS1980

Not that much can be made of our performance, as this is game 1 of pre-season

However, the style of play is not much of a change, I guess we are hoping the players brought in make the team better.  I still do not like how we consistently surrender the middle of the park.

We need a starting quality striker and another full-back

• Like 4

Alex '3 Goals' McCarthy living up to his name. And still that useless prick will probably start on the opening day of the season. 

I know it's only a preseason friendly but nothing seems to have changed at all. Style of play is the same. Defensively poor. Nothing up front. 

Some of our players looked like they were really struggling. Probably the heat. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Ugh! This makes me so angry (and worried) that McCarthy is anywhere near our matchday squad. 

He's not a premier league level keeper and is getting worse. 

His shots on target conceded are easily the worst of the PL keepers. He’s continued that today, don’t think he has made a single save. Absolutely woeful. I’m hoping that’s obvious and Bazunu will be our first choice keeper this season.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Ugh! This makes me so angry (and worried) that McCarthy is anywhere near our matchday squad. 

He's not a premier league level keeper and is getting worse. 

Made me laugh that Dave Watson described McCarthy as a "natural catcher of a football". Scraping the barrell for compliments there.

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/football-news/southampton-alex-mccarthy-fraser-forster-7317334

Well, one should never read too much into pre season games. But there wasn’t a huge amount to be optimistic about in those 105 minutes. Bazunu looks good, Lavia a prospect, not much to be really confident about outside of that. We look horrendously short of creativity up top, outside of the goal I don’t think we troubled their keeper.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

Well, one should never read too much into pre season games. But there wasn’t a huge amount to be optimistic about in those 105 minutes. Bazunu looks good, Lavia a prospect, not much to be really confident about outside of that. We look horrendously short of creativity up top, outside of the goal I don’t think we troubled their keeper.

Assume it was three at the back with KWP and Djenepo as flanksmen?

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Assume it was three at the back with KWP and Djenepo as flanksmen?

First half yeah, though Djnepo got forward a bit more. First half was strange, no pace to the game, very much a kick about where both sides passed it about a lot and there was plenty of space. Second half was a bit livelier.

Observations with first game caveats.

walker Peters must not be sold.

lavia looks promising.

Bazunu looked solid, at last a keeper that does.

Thats pretty much all the positives.

I am guessing Ralph is going 5 at the back as his default this season so 

We really need some attacking quality.

Djeneppo did what he usually does and flatter to deceive.

Valery should not be anywhere near the team.

Didn’t think Aribo  contributed at all.

Bella kotchap looked sloppy at times.

Tella was also anonymous.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Dorchester Saint said:

It’s so nice to see the usual suspects going into meltdown over a meaningless pre-season kick about 🤣🤣

Yeah anyone that thinks that line up will in anyway resemble our squad on the first match is out of their tiny minds.
you only have to look at the splendid job Sports Republic have done so far.

in fact the poor performance has done us a favour the same way the end of last of season did.

Edited by manji
  • Like 2