Pre Season 22/23

EBS1980

18 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Some of the stuff towards McCarthy, especially on Twitter, is bordering on vitriolic. He's likely to be the number 2, so everyone just calm down. No need for some of the abusive OTT comments I've seen on social media.

What do you expect.  Social media keyboard warriors in their ivory towers hiding behind anonymity and pathetic lives with too much hate in their hearts.  Social media is a bad, bad thing.

• Like 14

Thought djenepo looked quite impressive going forward 1st half, although he was up against a Youth player. Still needs to refine his decision making in final 3rd but is hard to do with so little game time. 
Tella up top alone did nothing for me and seems far from his best position, and Aribo seemed quiet. A win is always nice, but let’s not forget that this game is nothing more than a fitness exercise for the squad. Still a big chunk of games between now and Spurs so let’s not throw our toys out of the Pram just yet, and let’s wait to see what Ralph and the new coaching team can do as they refine style of play and find a starting 11 over the next week or so. 

• Like 1

Pretty much a standard early pre-season performance. No need to draw any conclusions really.

The McCarthy kicking and conceding did make me smile somewhat. Liked what we saw of the new keeper: vocal and commanding; will be surprised if he isn't number one very quickly.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

I don't trust RH to not start the season with McCarthy in goal. 

I know his track record of choosing the fans’ perceived best 11 is at best questionable; but one would hope that as Fraser’s replacement, Bazanu will slot into the number 1 position. 

We’ll see how the rest of the pre season fixtures pan out, but hopefully Gavin gives him no reason to put McCarthy between the sticks at Tottenham. 

More than anything I’m just hoping if Bazza does make a cock up or two in his first few games that the fans don’t jump on his back and squash his confidence, turning him into another up and coming talent that flops at saints. In the right environment he looks like he could turn out to be a real talent. 

• Like 1

For what its worth (which probably ain't much) my take on today's performance is, I saw an incredibly magnificent third goal. Wish we had someone of that calibre. Not impressed with Tella. Che never stopped running. AA worked his socks off and a couple of the newcomers will develop into excellent assets. McCarthy 2/10. Thankfully we have back up because he definitely is NOT our Number one.

It was noticeable today just how short of options we are at full back. KWP aside, we have Tino long term out, Perraud out until who knows when, Valery a liability at RB, and Small who while only young looks like he’s got some improving to do before being first team ready. I reckon Ralph might be going with 3/5 at the back to mitigate that, it gives him slightly more options at wing back. Problem is, I don’t think they’re particularly good options. If we’re starting the season with Djnepo in the first XI I’d be worried. Think we need to get in the market for a full back, especially if Perraud is out for a bit (and Ralph doesn’t seem to rate him that much anyway). Not sure if we will though, I’m guessing likely not.

• Like 2

I'm calling it now, European place for Saints next season. Didn't watch the match, have never seen the new players before, but just have a feeling that this is our season. That is not the drink or the everlasting hope talking at all. No-sir-ree-bob! This coming season is THE ONE.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, CylonKing said:

I'm calling it now, European place for Saints next season. Didn't watch the match, have never seen the new players before, but just have a feeling that this is our season. That is not the drink or the everlasting hope talking at all. No-sir-ree-bob! This coming season is THE ONE.

I don’t want to quash your enthusiasm in the slightest so I’ll just say: have another drink.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, CylonKing said:

We have all had our first pint before

😂😉

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, CylonKing said:

As those temperatures increase over the next couple of days, remember that disorientation and confusion are symptoms of heat stroke. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, CylonKing said:

That's what this forum needs, more optimism.

On a personal note, I'll have whatever you're having. 🍻

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Over the last couple of seasons have we ever attacked well with a 3 CB formation?

IMO all out best performances where we have balanced defence and attack have come in the 4-2-2-2.

Pleased that we have different options but not convinced we have the right attackers to make a 3-4-2-1 or 3-4-3 actually work.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, moonraker said:

And there is me thinking it’s the first pre season “friendly “, basically to take a look at a few things.  However I am wrong it’s cup semi final and a must win game!  

Don’t be a dick. Literally nobody is suggesting todays game is a big indication of too much. It’s just early feedback on a game people watched, and providing opinions on it. Kind of the purpose of a fans forum. Our starting lineup won’t be anything like what we started with today, in the first or second halves, it’s just a bit of discussion about those who played. Nothing more. 

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Wurzel said:

That's what this forum needs, more optimism.

On a personal note, I'll have whatever you're having. 🍻

No matter what, every new season I'm so optimistic that this is the one that...

Our keeper is going to do a Shilton / Niemi and be stunning

We've found the next Beattie / Pahars / Davies / Insert great striker we've had here

Our defensive partnership is going to gel and be as good as, well, the last best defensive partnership we had. Mine would be Claus and M.Svensson.

I'm on a mixture of wine, Jack Daniels and copious amounts of German beer. I'm always hopeful that Saints might buck the trend and be something more than strugglers. To be honest, living in Nottingham, I'm just hoping we manage not to lose to Forest this next season because this lot up here are desperate to rub someone's nose in it that isn't Derby, and I have a big, family nose!

Edited by CylonKing
Where did those spaces come from?
  • Like 1

Literally the only 3 minutes of the game I got to watch yesterday was when we scored our goal. Good cross from Will, good header from Adam - ironically two players that have been linked away from us this summer! I'm not too fussed about Adam leaving as long as we bring in two good strikers (although that might still leave us short over the season meaning we have to rely on Tella or, if they don't leave, Walcott or Redmond, so you could make a case we'd need 3 strikers, or 2 strikers and an attacking 10 that can play up top) but I'd like to see Smallbone stick around as a squad player. I think there's a player in there.

Hopefully we can get a couple more transfers over the line in the next week or two and we'll feel more confident about things, although we do need to offload one or two players soon. We're basically 2 strikers, a 10 and a full back away from being 'squad' ready - with another CB a nice bonus if Ralph plans on playing 3 at the back. 

12 hours ago, The Kraken said:

Don’t be a dick. Literally nobody is suggesting todays game is a big indication of too much. It’s just early feedback on a game people watched, and providing opinions on it. Kind of the purpose of a fans forum. Our starting lineup won’t be anything like what we started with today, in the first or second halves, it’s just a bit of discussion about those who played. Nothing more. 

You're so right about the overall purpose of pre-season friendlies, and of a football forum, but there are some contributors above who are doing exactly that. Suggesting all sorts of conclusions from one match. Or perhaps they're just trying to wind me up...

For what it's worth, I have been following Saints pre-season matches for many years now, and I always used to think that when things were going well pre-season, Saints struggled when it came to the real thing, and vice versa, and I go back to the Ted Bates days, when pre-season involved matches against AC Delco or Havant at Stoneham.

20 hours ago, Dusic said:

Over the last couple of seasons have we ever attacked well with a 3 CB formation?

IMO all out best performances where we have balanced defence and attack have come in the 4-2-2-2.

Pleased that we have different options but not convinced we have the right attackers to make a 3-4-2-1 or 3-4-3 actually work.

Let’s concentrate on conceding less goals first… 4222 did not serve us well at all last season. 

• Like 3

On 16/07/2022 at 16:19, Pamplemousse said:

Some of the stuff towards McCarthy, especially on Twitter, is bordering on vitriolic. He's likely to be the number 2, so everyone just calm down. No need for some of the abusive OTT comments I've seen on social media.

Also hasn't the dude been injured for like 4 months or something? So that is his first game back after a long injury lay off. 

16 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Also hasn't the dude been injured for like 4 months or something? So that is his first game back after a long injury lay off. 

He played the last couple of games of last season IIRC. I'm not anti-McCarthy, he can have good games and he doesn't deserve being hounded out on social media, but I really hope we don't suffer through, like, 10 games of poor McCarthy goalkeeping performances before Ralph decides to try Bazunu. Whoever the best keeper is in pre-season is the one that should get the nod, but I think Ralph will start the season with McCarthy.

58 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

He played the last couple of games of last season IIRC. I'm not anti-McCarthy, he can have good games and he doesn't deserve being hounded out on social media, but I really hope we don't suffer through, like, 10 games of poor McCarthy goalkeeping performances before Ralph decides to try Bazunu. Whoever the best keeper is in pre-season is the one that should get the nod, but I think Ralph will start the season with McCarthy.

You know that’s exactly wot Ralph will do.. scoring the other end looks like will go right to end of the window too wen club options for strikers  whittle down and they come into our wage berth .

• Haha 1