Pre Season 22/23

EBS1980

On tuning in we were facing our own goal defending so it looked like white shirts, black shorts, a very un-Saints like appearance unless an away kit. I then heard the commentator say about a porr back pass from Stephens so I knew I was in the right place.

"McCartney left stranded " was another phrase that seemed familiar.

Pre-season or not, we have too many 'empty shirts' with us still.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Suhari said:

Edwards seems to have something about him. Quick feet and gets stuck in.

Yep, like the look of him. Very raw but always looking to do something positive.  He’s not ready for a starting first team yet but hopefully a few cup games and sub appearances to come in the season ahead. The only issue is where will he play, he looks like he’d thrive in a central role in behind the striker(s).

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Player quality impacts the effectiveness of the formation. We won't be using these players in the PL barring a monumental injury crisis. 

Oh god, let me be clearer, in possession at times Romeu  has been receiving at left back, small and edwards are effectively playing as a front 4, 2 midfielders start deep, both or at least one of the strikers have come short, quite often, leaving small and edwards as our highest positioned players and we then just end up playing a long ball over their heads out of play…. 

this has happened too many times for it not to be part of the shape he wants to play. 

Diallo, Romeu,Adams, and the favourites smallbone and tella on the pitch in the possession spine, so I would expect some effectiveness 

Edited by Ed Rooney

Liked the look of Edwards. He does have the typical bad habits of a lot of young wingers of not releasing the ball quick enough and not looking up enough but his technical ability is clear to see. Very nice first touch.

Haven't seen anything from Small yet unfortunately. He has the physical attributes but is struggling to be effective on the ball. A few poor touches and stray passes but he is only 17. I think he needs a loan. Clearly capable of mens football but not at our level yet.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 1

I think Saints need to find a way to keep Oriol Romeu at peak fitness throughout the season. Hopefully having Lavia will do that and allow OR some rest in between games as he proved last season, he can’t play 90 minutes effectively every week. In that half he was IMO our stand out player, just keeps things ticking and breaks play up. A very effective player.

Smallbone did alright, Edwards looked lively, not much else stood out. Disappointed with Diallo, just can’t impose himself.  Being as we’ve got a mini crisis at full back, I wonder if he can do a job there, cos he’s not really doing one in the middle of the pitch.

18 minutes ago, alpine_saint said:

This is friggin AWFUL

Welcome back to the forum Alps. We've certainly missed your positive slant on everything. Please don't ever go away again. We're going to need your valuable input as the season progresses 👍

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Lallana's Left Peg said:

It's not the defence that bothers me, is the midfield and attack being toothless and ineffective.

I'd suggest today's midfield and attack are also unlikely to start together particularly often in the PL either. Lots of the 1st choice players all not starting today. Today's starting line-up players may come in and out of the team, but they'd be supported by higher quality 1st choice players which would make a difference. 

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1

Nothing much to write home about thus far. System looks a mess, but I suppose no more than usual.

I thought Small did okay, actually. Positionally, he's a headless chicken, but at least he's now sprinting back, which he wasn't in his ill fated debut against Coventry. Lots of enthusiasm going forward - albeit no composure.

Edwards has the look of a player about him; the way he addresses the ball, uses his body and low centre of gravity to protect it hints at a bit of quality. Fuck knows what he's doing at wing back, though. What a waste.

Don't rate the formation at all.

Edited by qwertyell
  • Like 2

Well from what I saw (last 20 or so), given who we are playin (apparently topmflight Austria Bundesliga) and that we are clearly playing our 2nd string (with Romeu and Adams) thought it actually looked half decent. Neat and tidy in possession mostly, a couple of chances ,bar hit and I understand Smallbone hit post earlier, didn't see it though). Decent enough workout for these hopefuls. Some good signs from Smallbone and Edwards. Interesting to see what happens 2nd half.

• Like 2

At the moment I still feel that Stephens/Lyanco is our most effective partnership. That isn't saying much obviously but they seem to be calmer. I expect that to change asap as Salisu has to be Nov and needs to make that obvious  

It isn't too bad so far, like watching an early cup game. Good to see Diallo gives a shit, and clearly wants a place in the 1st team.

Creating chances (sort of) but nobody up front to convert them.

Pre season is all about fitness and systems. Blows some cobwebs away, get the new boys on board. 

Make zero assumptions.

Having said that I thought Valery looks up for it. I'm convinced there is a player in there.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, VectisSaint said:

Well from what I saw (last 20 or so), given who we are playin (apparently topmflight Austria Bundesliga) and that we are clearly playing our 2nd string (with Romeu and Adams) thought it actually looked half decent. Neat and tidy in possession mostly, a couple of chances ,bar hit and I understand Smallbone hit post earlier, didn't see it though). Decent enough workout for these hopefuls. Some good signs from Smallbone and Edwards. Interesting to see what happens 2nd half.

Also worth bearing in mind they are weeks ahead of us in terms of fitness and readiness - they played the first round of the cup at the weekend and their first league game is on Saturday.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

I see them as our 4th and 5th choice centre backs.

Salisu, Bednarek and possibly Bella-Kotchap all ahead of them in pecking order. With Valery as 6th choice.

Totally agree and there is the issue, at the moment they are probably the pick of the bunch.

I think that was clumsily my point.

12 minutes ago, whiteleySaint30 said:

It should do, you see how many goals we conceded last year?

Yeah absolutely - I meant in the context of this game.  No clear starters in defence, but plenty in midfield and attack first half.

13 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

I'd suggest today's midfield and attack are also unlikely to start together particularly often in the PL either. Let's if 1st choice players all nit starting today. The starting line-up players may come in and out if the team, but they'd be supported by higher quality 1st choice players which would make a difference. 

I agree with what you're saying but even then was the quality good enough whether they are starters or not?  Plenty of the midfield and attack start games for Saints and I'd expect a need to get touch and fitness but not a feeling I was watching strangers play.

18 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Oh god, let me be clearer, in possession at times Romeu  has been receiving at left back, small and edwards are effectively playing as a front 4, 2 midfielders start deep, both or at least one of the strikers have come short, quite often, leaving small and edwards as our highest positioned players and we then just end up playing a long ball over their heads out of play…. 

Total [shit] football. 

Also, if we are having the same amount of pre-season games as in previous years, but playing experimental sides, when do the first team players get match fit for the start of the season?  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, macca155 said:

Totally agree and there is the issue, at the moment they are probably the pick of the bunch.

I think...

Salisu

Bednarek 

Bella-Kotchap 

Lyanco

Stephens

Valery 

Is the correct order of quality for them. So Ralph is correct on them. With Bella-Kotchap the unknown quantity. 

1 minute ago, OttawaSaint said:

We could come out dressed as fluffy penguins 2 players short flinging excrement at the fans and in a 0-4-4 formation and MLG would defend it...

I haven't defended the usage of the formation. I pointed out that 352 has 8 central players, so isn't lacking centrally. 

He didn't really get anything on that pen, needed to be in the corner. Wasn't anything really.

It was a decent save, but also a pretty tame effort. 

Can't read too much into pre-season games as a rule, but you can't avoid the elephant in the room that the same issues as last season continue to plague us (no one who can score goals)

• Like 1