Pre Season 22/23

EBS1980

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He looks like a very imposing CB, quick and strong. Able to recover quite well if he's caught.

words like this are music to my ears. I look forward to seeing him. 

I don't like 352 myself, and feel is the CBs are decent, you play 2 not 3. Do you think he and Salisu be good enough for us to revert back to a four man defence?

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

words like this are music to my ears. I look forward to seeing him. 

I don't like 352 myself, and feel is the CBs are decent, you play 2 not 3. Do you think he and Salisu be good enough for us to revert back to a four man defence?

I'd be more than happy with him and Salisu as the two, both very quick, powerful, agile defenders and good with the ball at their feet. For balance purposes Bella-Kotchap is right footed and Salisu is left footed.

I'm sure we'll see them as a two quite often next season.

I'd have liked some experience back there, but it's clear we're not going that way, so the next best bet is to sigh talented young players with strong physical profiles.

Edited by S-Clarke

53 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I reckon todays lineup will almost be the starting lineup next week. Pretty confident Bazunu, Ketchup and Aribo will be in. Lavia probably too. New kid Mara got called out by Ralph so possibly will just make the bench.

Need to watch it back again but I thought Ketchup looked a bit shaky and was caught out for their first goal, like the look of Big Joe Aribo gets himself involved in the game will be a fans favourite, Bazunu looks ok but not sure I've seen enough to say he's ready to start, Mara looked completely out of the game but only had 45 mins, one for the future perhaps but he didn't seem to trouble the Spaniards defence at all. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

We need an experienced general at the back to guide Ketchup and Salisu.  A Chis Nicholl type player.
Neither Bednarek or Stephens fit that profile.

That ship has sailed. Also we've currently got 6 CB's. Even if we manage to get shot of the poor Bednarek i wouldn't have thought we need more than 5.To be fair we seem to have got a very highly rated player in B-K. Just got to cross fingers and hope he, Salisu & Bazanu can do something together.

43 minutes ago, Chez said:

Anyone else got an an assessment of B-K from what they have seen so far?

Watched him intently at the game today, and in other appearances. He's a very powerful player - fast and well built. He'll suit a high line press with a sweeper keeper... But he's also not acting in the most intelligent/well drilled way from what I've seen so far. Made mistakes - particular when it's balls over the top that he has to deal with - I.e. letting the ball bounce with the attacker on him, and he was involved in a couple of instances of poor communication between cb's. His athletism helps him recover impressively, but not always. 

Both BK and salisu were extremely ponderous in possession today as well. Slow passing tempo! 

BK has a lot of potential and I think he'll get there and be a great player for us. But I'm not sure he's ready to face kane and son away at spurs.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Anyone else got an an assessment of B-K from what they have seen so far?

Yeah - very solid. He's big, he's powerful and he looks imposing but also can move relatively quickly. Doesn't look rash or like he panics, I'd say he's calmer and more composed than Lyanco and Stephens. Has made a few decent blocks in pre-season but also switched off for one of the goals today and in one of the other games so there is room for improvement. Pushed up well today and put two fantastic balls into the box from inside the Villareal half that we made two chances and should have scored from. His passing out from the back generally has been tidy, as well. Obviously still settling in and still young so will improve, but he's looked solid so far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, revolution saint said:

Care to change your username then? I mean, it’s a bit pathetic to use the wrong surname isn’t it?

Le God is a compliment nickname widely used by Saints fans as you surely already know. Calling Bella-Kotchap... Ketchup isn't a compliment is it?

I've used this username for over 20 years on forums. But I'm actually happy to change it to disassociate from Le Tissier and his tin foil hat conspiracy nonsense.

I'd happily change as I'd rather go with just MLG

Jason Sudeikis Change GIF by Apple TV+

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Le God is a compliment nickname widely used by Saints fans as you surely already know. Calling Bella-Kotchap... Ketchup isn't a compliment is it?

I've used this username for over 20 years on forums. But I'm actually happy to change it to disassociate from Le Tissier and his tin foil hat conspiracy nonsense.

Ironic that you would describe god as a compliment given the amount of posts you’ve spent decrying religion, don’t you think? Anyway I’m sure you would agree that there’s probably as many people who like tommy sauce as profess to be religious and Ketchup is easier for auto correct so doesn’t really call for it’s use as pathetic. 

Certainly welcome the name change though! To be really democratic we should put it to a vote so suggestions on here or a separate thread for your new username. 

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Calling him ketchup is pathetic!

His surname is Bella-Kotchap.

I actually met him at the game yesterday and tried to pronounce his name, he laughed and said just call me Ketchup and let all your mates on Saints Web know as well 

• Haha 8

11 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Tell me you’re a bit of a tube without telling me you’re a bit of a tube…

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, JRM said:

I actually met him at the game yesterday and tried to pronounce his name, he laughed and said just call me Ketchup and let all your mates on Saints Web know as well 

Well if it cuts the mustard for Ketchup himself, mayo we all consider this as his official nickname henceforth? If it bothers MLG so much, that just adds an extra layer of spiciness for me.

Saints are playing AFC Totton tonight in a friendly and the flyer for the game says we are taking a mix of first team, new signings and reserve team players!

Personally would be amazed if any first team player featured so close to first game of the season.

Should imagine fringe players and possibly our new striker as he can't be anywhere near being ready for the starting 11

On 31/07/2022 at 11:30, skintsaint said:

Good to see we are still defensively weak - not sure why Bednerek didn't head the first away for a corner, then blamed the young lad. Look half decent going forward. Not the ideal preparation for Spurs away. Sweet goal though!

And for the second goal, watch Bednarek lose his man completely and then just fall over as the ball is played through, followed by a shrug of the arms as if to say "who's fault is that then?"

It's yours, Jan. Yours.

A big plus for me from that highlights reel, aside from Aribo's goal of course, is ABK seems to have a decent whipped diagonal cross on him. A couple of times he found Djenepo making a charge in from the wing with them.

Edited by Sheaf Saint