Pre Season 22/23

EBS1980

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

Good to see Ralph has gone for unbelievable tight tracksuit trousers.

Our best run under him was when he looked like he was wearing yoga pants, this bodes well for our season I'm convinced.

Basically threatening the players that if they don't perform they'll be on the bench and his bulge is all they'll be able to see all game.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DT said:

Bazanu playing a lot with his feet. Midfield shape feels wrong. Not much gelling. Stu Armstrong off the pace and trying flicks in dangerous areas. It’s not great. 

Yeah I'm seeing stuey doing flicks, losing the ball in the centre etc at the mo, trying to hard. There is no patterns of play to get it forward.

I know it’s hot and pre season but big lack of intensity and , worryingly, team cohesion/awareness of the system. Hoping for a more stimulating second half. If spurs have spies  here they will be laughing into their half time Ginster’s

Edited by DT

Frustrating half.  Djenepo the highlight for me. We know what he can do around the penalty area. But as a defender he's been even more impressive, holding off the right amount, but then making some really sharp tackles.   If he ends up claiming this left wing-back role... really not something many of us would have guessed last year. 

Mara's had no chance to do anything yet.  A spectacular goal from him second half is all we need to really look forward to next Saturday.

Edited by NewYorkSaint
correct typo

Maybe I'm watching a different game but I think we've done alright against a very good team. 

We have a bunch of new players getting used to playing with each other, especially through the spine of the team. It's going to take a little bit of time for them to start really gelling.

I like the way we are trying to play, taking risks to get the ball out and break quickly with pace. Rather that than pass it around the back for long periods of the game which is what a lot of people were moaning about previously.

Their goal came from a good run but a very lucky deflected cross that sat up perfectly for the header. Other than that Bazunu hasn't had a save to make.

Another thing of note is that we are now a bigger team and also have much better collective hair styles.

Edited by The Cat
  • Like 4

Yet to see Mara break a sweat. Is pace a big part of his game? If so he’s certainly taking this friendly very casually so far.

Also not quite getting my head round Stuart Armstrong playing as a striker.

Not awful but so far pretty uninspiring, Djenepo looking good again and a some very nice moments from Aribo but we definitely need to up the intensity. Villarreal look set on playing out from the back and have already had a couple of shaky moments in doing so, hopefully we can capitalise on it 2nd half and pull it around.

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Adam Armstrong went down the tunnel early on into halftime warmup with his shirt. Guess he'll be on at start of 2nd half for Mara.

I hope not - far more important to get Mara up to speed IMO. Glad I didn’t pay to watch this though - very lacklustre.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

He is playing in a front two today with Stuart Armstrong. 

Sorry Mr Pedantic, in a front 2 with a fully recognised striker, for example Che as opposed to a player who is usually an attacking midfielder. Hope that resolves it for you, you melt.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

If anyone wants some real entertainment, go on FB and read the comments on Pompey's half time post. They're having a full scale meltdown.

Equalised and conceded again inside 3 minutes...!

Just now, niceandfriendly said:

Bella Kotch with a couple of strong interceptions. Lavia with some nice touches. 

I like Lavia, he’s tidy, but I think I slightly prefer Romeu. Too early to tell though, and one thing is for sure, Romeu can’t play week after week effectively, he looked shot toward the end of last season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I like Lavia, he’s tidy, but I think I slightly prefer Romeu. Too early to tell though, and one thing is for sure, Romeu can’t play week after week effectively, he looked shot toward the end of last season.

Not bad considering the gap in age and experience 

We are much better when we play at a higher tempo and cut down on the short square passes in meaningless areas. Hopefully the 5 subs this season will enable us to keep our intensity level up.

Villarreal are no mugs and this is a good final test.