Pre Season 22/23

EBS1980

Just now, Saint Matty 76 said:

A really good second half so far, just think we're one pretty good attacker away from having a good year. Whether that's a winger or a striker. 

Definitely need that extra attacking impetus still. I'm pleased we have an extra cm option so all the pressure isn't on romeu to perform every week. 

1 minute ago, Warriorsaint said:

Its pre season ffs. Such doom mongers

Not a high quality post but in my defence I do agree with your sentiment - I was being flippant and posted after the first goal. Not expecting Adam Armstrong to score 20, but with think he can be useful for us with more confidence this season. As with last season I will try and reserve judgement until about 5-6 games in.

• Like 1

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Definitely need that extra attacking impetus still. I'm pleased we have an extra cm option so all the pressure isn't on romeu to perform every week. 

Yep. Lots of piss taking throughout this week but he's been really good in this role today, one of our more comfortable players taking the ball alongside KWP.

Interested to know if this is our preferred formation, was of the assumption that it was just because we didn't have a LB but Djenepo has probably earned a start vs Spurs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

I'm loving the look of this Joe Aribo. Looks a classy player.

Yep, interested to see what he can do. In the first two games I thought he was off the pace and didn’t get involved enough. But the thing that struck me most is that he seemed to be at his best when the game actually got to a high tempo (which was rare) and he was working in tight situations. I’ve only seen the second half tonight but he definitely looks like a player. A bit of a unit too.

Only watched the second half but ii thought we looked pretty good!  Looks like back 5 but be interesting to see who plays in midfield and attack . Armstrong looked sharp and another goal ...Aribo does look a real deal to me so sublime on the ball but with a great physical presence .

Great performance, one game to go but if I had to guess our Spurs line-up, I'd go with the following -

Bazunu

ABK - Bednarek - Salisu

KWP - Romeu - JWP - Djenepo

Stu

Aribo - Che/AA

Definitely a few contentious calls with Lavia/Romeu and the strikers. Maybe we'll get a better idea on Saturday.

Just now, The Kraken said:

Yep, interested to see what he can do. In the first two games I thought he was off the pace and didn’t get involved enough. But the thing that struck me most is that he seemed to be at his best when the game actually got to a high tempo (which was rare) and he was working in tight situations. I’ve only seen the second half tonight but he definitely looks like a player. A bit of a unit too.

His size and strength is what looks so promising, as his touch and pace on the ball is deadly with his physical attributes. Looks a mighty handful and leagues above our other options. 

Very much improved second half and credit to Ralph for changing the formation. I would imagine he also demanded we up the tempo, press harder and be more aggressive which made a real difference. We got the ball forward quicker and with purpose, won a lot of second balls and there was much more movement between the lines. Adam Armstrong did well and deserved his goal.  Some good individual performances in that second half and encouraging to create chances and score three goals. Aribo looks to have a bit about him and had a hand in Stu Armstrong's goal. Some good inter play and a very tidy finish from JWP. Much to be encouraged by in that second half and pleased we stepped up a few gears. More of the same at the weekend would be good.

Just now, saintant said:

Very much improved second half and credit to Ralph for changing the formation. I would imagine he also demanded we up the tempo, press harder and be more aggressive which made a real difference. We got the ball forward quicker and with purpose, won a lot of second balls and there was much more movement between the lines. Adam Armstrong did well and deserved his goal.  Some good individual performances in that second half and encouraging to create chances and score three goals. Aribo looks to have a bit about him and had a hand in Stu Armstrong's goal. Some good inter play and a very tidy finish from JWP. Much to be encouraged by in that second half and pleased we stepped up a few gears. More of the same at the weekend would be good.

He didn’t change the formation…

That wasn't a bad game at all. First half wasn't half as bad as some made it out to be on here, I thought we had reasonable control and just lacking a touch of quality. 

Second half the subs worked in our favour though, obviously we were stronger from the bench at it showed. Armstrong and Aribo made huge contributions in our attacking game when they came on. 

Diallo was the best CM out there tonight, went about it quietly but was pretty effective.

Adam Armstrong was very lively though, he does have a habit of running into players and blind allies but he was still effective for large portions of that game.

As with any pre-season game though, hard to read too much into it due to the way all the subs change the games up, but I particularly enjoyed the contribution of Aribo when he came on and the performance of Armstrong with a partner alongside him. Adams took some of the physical demands off of him, as he could run into space more freely.

2 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Brilliant second half performance.

Ralph is a football genius.  Reckon we’re looking at top 4 this season.

That’s the spirit!!

It was a very promising second half though.

Well you have to be happy with that result and performance. For me the big thing was just how much confidence the whole team showed and how we were able to stay on the front foot throughout. Keep that up in the season proper and we should be able to pick up some points early. be interesting to see how we do against teams with more possession or where we're under more pressure as it's those sort of circumstances where that confidence has dipped in the past and we've lost form.

58 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Who ended up winning it that season again? One of the usual suspects no doubt.

Just to humor you - it was Leicester, who played exceptionally well over the whole season and thoroughly deserved it. If it wasn't them it would have been Arsenal, followed by Spurs, followed by Man City, followed by Man Utd. You'll notice Saints weren't even close (but still had an amazing season imo). I assume you're using the logic that 'if Leicester won it anyone could have!' but the fact is no-one else - including us - did. There were simply 5 better teams than us that season and one of them just happened to be a team that usually wouldn't play to that standard (a standard we failed to match).

28 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

One thing I've learnt is that I dislike all the white on the home shirt. From a distance we look like a different team. 

yes it shit, same as the away kit............where are the stripes? and why blank backs? ,Brentford arnt nor i think are Sandcastle Arabia.

• Like 1