Pre Season 22/23

EBS1980

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

Prediction = Joe Aribo is going to prove to be PL bargain of the season

Very impressive in his cameo tonight

I think his best quality is how light of foot he is and how well he can move the ball. That stands him in great stead for the Premier league and hopefully means he doesn't need much of a transition to get used to the pace of things. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

I very much hope you’re correct MLG.

I watched the first two pre season games and thought he didn’t look sharp, but his best moments of those games seemed to me to be when the game got a bit of tempo to it and he was in faster, tighter situations. I only saw the second half tonight but I very much liked what I saw from him, I was impressed. Against proper PL sides in a league game is another level yet, but I’m looking forward to seeing what he can do. Hopefully lots.

Romeu second half also looked to be playing more forward than previously too. 

Great performance considering it was largely our reserves.

Even first half we were ok, not great but also not bad either. Second half we stepped it up from the off and it took about 15 minutes for Monaco to even vaguely get a passage of possession.

Some good performances from a few of the fringe players like Valery and Djenepo. Then the subs gave us even more impetuous and we scored a couple of excellent goals.

An enjoyable evening back at St Mary's.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

He’s from Southampton isn’t he? One for the future maybe but doesn’t help us in the short term if he is someone we’ve got an eye on.

Yes. He played for Sholing as a kid before Chelsea picked him up. I saw Dan and Byron Mason wandering up and down the steps when they came in, turns out they were looking for him.

Can we geolocate that seat - is it a club hospitality one?

As for the game, I enjoyed it. I thought Romeu looked a lot better than the end of last season, he retains and uses the ball so well. Nobody had a bad game although I thought Redmond and KWP didn't look quite sharp enough, and I presume that was why the former didn't go on the pre-season tour. Valery's positioning was a bit slack occasionally, but his forward runs can really open up a side.

Everything looked so much sharper than the previous friendly match footage I've seen, so let's hope the last friendly on Saturday shows equal improvement, and it's a shame I'm missing it through other commitments.

• Like 2

Just back from the game, first half we were ok but again lacked any creativity.

McCarthy can't kick for shit and should be nowhere near the starting 11.

Second half not sure what Ralph had said at half time but it worked from the off, we were sharper, hungrier and pressing Monaco all over.

Pleased for Adam Armstrong.

Stu Armstrong, JWP and Aribo absolute class, these 3 are our game changers!

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

Sound, cheers. Strange thing to post if nothing in it considering he would be well aware of links to us.

I’d say it’s more likely that there is nothing in it because he posted it.

If anything was close, I suspect the club wouldn’t have allowed it, plus he’d be in more fancy surroundings.

Nothing more than an injured player seeing family and taking in a game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

Can we geolocate that seat - is it a club hospitality one?

No, they were in Block 9 I reckon. We were in Block 8 and I saw the Mason brothers looking for their seats which would have been with him.

For those who don't know they are Sholing legends and have played 600 odd games each for the club.

1 minute ago, Pilchards said:

I’m pretty sure Colwill won’t be signing after seeing what he posted tonight.

If he knew we were interested he wouldn’t have done that knowing it would jeopardise the move.

Time to move on I say!

I don't think we were ever in the running to be honest. If we got rid of Lyanco and Stephens it might be different, but with those two still at the club, it won't be happening.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

Just back from the game, first half we were ok but again lacked any creativity.

McCarthy can't kick for shit and should be nowhere near the starting 11.

Second half not sure what Ralph had said at half time but it worked from the off, we were sharper, hungrier and pressing Monaco all over.

Pleased for Adam Armstrong.

Stu Armstrong, JWP and Aribo absolute class, these 3 are our game changers!

The difference was he bought Aribo and several of the 1st 11 on! 

I spent some time with Bazunu and the other new ‘Keeper prior to the game. Both seemed decent guys. Gavin was not as big (build) as I’d expected. Tall but slim.

Valery looked overweight as did Stephens. Romeu was one of the few positives in the first half, along with Diallo. Lyanco did OK too but doesn’t seem overly keen on getting back after losing position in the middle of the park which he did twice. Big change in the 2nd half with the addition of guys who’ll probably start at Spurs. Good high intensity workout and quite impressive (2nd half). Aribo was super impressive. Seemed to be playing up top pretty much. I’d assumed he was more a midfielder? 

3 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Hard luck, none of them are playing. Only 3 even on the bench. What a strange preseason game, you would expect them to want to integrate the new guys as much as possible.

TBF, it was well past their bed time.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

What was the score? Formations? Standout players? 
any highlights?

ta

Looked like 3-4-3 for me, for the most part. I'd say Aribo looked decent in his cameo, Djenepo was okay-ish at wing back and it was good to see Perraud back and in a role which suits him. Diallo also looked decent at times I thought. A few players lacking a little sharpness but generally decent overall. 

8 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

What was the score? Formations? Standout players? 
any highlights?

ta

We won 16-0. Played a new formation of 212212. Kenneth Williams was our stand out player, he was vibrant.

• Haha 4

Very promising performance tonight. Aribo, Prowsey, KWP and Stuart Armstrong class second half. Romeu was superb as was Diallo. Djenepo and Redmond were very good aswell. More of the same on Saturday hopefully. Pleased for Adam Armstrong to get another goal. Both Stuarts and Prowseys goals were quality :)

Edited by davefizzy14
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, The Cat said:

No, they were in Block 9 I reckon. We were in Block 8 and I saw the Mason brothers looking for their seats which would have been with him.

For those who don't know they are Sholing legends and have played 600 odd games each for the club.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

From reading about the game on here, I deduce the following:

Valery had a MOTM performance but was also crap and had to rectify his own mistakes,

Adam Armstrong was rubbish but also scored a good goal and could be the answer to our goalscoring problems this season,

Our first half performance was both very good and rubbish

And Levi Colwill is definitely joining us because he posted a picture of himself at St Marys but isn't because he posted a picture of himself at St Mary's.

Got it. 👍😀

• Haha 10

So first half was not great Armstrong made a lot of runs not picked out Romeu in particular took too long to play him in.

Second half upped it a lot and I thought Valery had good game and as mentioned looked a bit chunkier. Lyanco kept selling himself on half way not great. Diallo grew into it well , Stephens did ok but subs really turned it round and like Aribo he actually picked out people in the box. 
Redmond first game played 3 positions but didn’t look happy in any really.

1 piece of action and Bella had good turn of pace to cover.

3rd goal was good but shows how short with no forwards on last 10-15.

We have some great fans moaning at Tella ….it was KWP!!

Monaco we’re terrible Minmino ran around a lot didn’t seem as though we missed out on him really lightweight.

We won played well second half but need more first team not squad - Aribo impressed me a lot 

1 hour ago, Pilchards said:

I’m pretty sure Colwill won’t be signing after seeing what he posted tonight.

If he knew we were interested he wouldn’t have done that knowing it would jeopardise the move.

Time to move on I say!

Why would it jeopardise the move? He was at a game watching football 🤷‍♂️?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

I agree and called it when he first signed. Big powerful player with a great touch. He's going to be a top player for us.

• Like 2

The next stage of JWP's development is to make those late, edge of the box runs and get some more open play goals. We know he's got the technique, its just about executing them in the Premier League. He can then become a Beckham/Lampard hybrid. 

KWP/Aribo down the right excites me too. Two ball carriers with nice footwork and athleticism who can cause some real problems.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

First time I've seen it in a match situation - that kit is far too white. Poor.

Highlights fine but very very much a friendly. We won't get six bites of the cherry in front of goal like that once we get into the season.

As much as I enjoyed that, and it was great to see our lads looking happy. Monaco were utter dogshit. How they even had the cheek to look disappointed when Stu scored. They did nothing to prevent it. Laughably bad defending. 

Hope this doesn't paper over too many cracks. There's still work to be done. 

1 minute ago, Dman said:

On a side note, McCarthy beaten at his near post again… we really cannot start the season with him being number 1. Dreadful. 

You can't surely blame him for that. No keeper would save it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Not enough praise for Moussa who was once again excellent and has probably been our best player in pre season. 

Was he playing at LB/LWB when he came on? In his defense I just dont think he suits being a 10 in a 4-2-2-2 (who does?). 

9 hours ago, The Cat said:

Great performance considering it was largely our reserves.

Even first half we were ok, not great but also not bad either. Second half we stepped it up from the off and it took about 15 minutes for Monaco to even vaguely get a passage of possession.

Some good performances from a few of the fringe players like Valery and Djenepo. Then the subs gave us even more impetuous and we scored a couple of excellent goals.

An enjoyable evening back at St Mary's.

Agree with that, sloppy in possession at times and Monaco could have punished us more first half but overall a good win. From where you were sat did it look like any of the new coaching team were getting more involved? 

One negative - why on earth did the club have so many stewards guarding the Itchen North spending the whole game jumping on anyone who stood , its a small area that creates some atmosphere with thousands of empty seats elsewhere for those who wanted to sit, seems like the club just want to cause trouble as they're already trying to break up that area by restricting sales of season tickets, shame to lose one of the few areas that actually creates some atmosphere 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

One thing I've learnt is that I dislike all the white on the home shirt. From a distance we look like a different team. 

Looks like the shirts and shorts don't belong to the same kit, either needs some black in the shirt or red or white shorts, looks like a last minute enforced kit change.

• Like 1