Pre Season 22/23

EBS1980

Whilst I'd rather see Bazunu play, I do get why Mccarthy is being given game time.

We are one injury away from relying on him. He is coming back from injury himself, and clearly lacks confidence. He has to be given game time.

Very much the B team tonight, he says without conviction 😲

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, warwicksaint said:

Also no tella, maybe he’s going out on loan?

I hope so, I just don't see what he brings to the first team. Back to tonight, the big plus is Perraud back - that's a nice bonus. 

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

We have another friendly against one of last seasons Champions League semi finalists in 3 days time. Did you really expect our 1st choice XI to play both games?

No but I thought we'd go with a strong mix in each half tonight.

I'm keen to see how Armstrong does with Adams alongside him, he was way too isolated on his own.

The support play from Ely and Redmond needs to be good though. It's not a 'bad' team and it's clearly second string in the main, but it does show that there is still work to do in the attack and full back area's specifically.

Didn't expect to see Perraud back, so that's a plus.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, saintant said:

No but I thought we'd go with a strong mix in each half tonight.

All 10 subs on at half time and we'll get a half with Lavia, Ketchup, and Aribo playing with likely outfield starters. I'd much prefer that than seeing the new boys mixing it up with Lyanco, Valery, Redmond etc. 

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Makes more sense for the first choice players to come on together in the 2nd half and get gametime as a unit rather than a mix and match line-up. 

Maybe. Let's see if he starts the second half with a strong line up.

1 minute ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Yes, why not? At least I expected to see the 1st choice start the game. How else will they gel, get confidence etc?

You want to overload them a week before the season starts? Some of the the first choice players will be on in the 2nd half tonight, probably the majority of them will start vs Villareal in 3 days time. Seems a sensible approach me! The sports science department at Saints appear to agree!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

You want to overload them a week before the season starts? Some of the the first choice players will be on in the 2nd half tonight, probably the majority of them will start vs Villareal in 3 days time. Seems a sensible approach me! The sports science department at Saints appear to agree!

What, having a run out in a friendly is going to overload them? meh

So far today I've seen our fans:

• Wish career ending injuries on a 16 year old for going to the club he supports for ridiculous money
  • Suggest that the owner is "lining his pockets" because we're not going to spend £50 Million on one player (despite the fact we've spent nearly £60 Million so far without selling anyone)
  • Now we're whinging about some fringe players getting a run out in a pre season friendly?? Premier League fans get more and more ridiculous year by year.

I do wonder about Premier League fan bases sometimes...

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

• Wish career ending injuries on a 16 year old for going to the club he supports for ridiculous money
  • Suggest that the owner is "lining his pockets" because we're not going to spend £50 Million on one player (despite the fact we've spent nearly £60 Million so far without selling anyone)

FFS - What a bunch of numbskulls. I thought seeing Bednarek described as literal deadweight was bad earlier 😅

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

• Now we're whinging about some fringe players getting a run out in a pre season friendly?? Premier League fans get more and more ridiculous year by year.

Haha funny bunch aren't they. I even saw one earlier today say there was no reason we couldn't have won the league under Koeman a few years ago.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, egg said:

All 10 subs on at half time and we'll get a half with Lavia, Ketchup, and Aribo playing with likely outfield starters. I'd much prefer that than seeing the new boys mixing it up with Lyanco, Valery, Redmond etc. 

So who do you expect to play the full 90? I would assume Romeu, but could be Adams or Armstrong.

15 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

So who do you expect to play the full 90? I would assume Romeu, but could be Adams or Armstrong.

Not sure tbh. Depends what shape we go with 2nd half. I'd guess Redmond as a lwb.